/40krpg/ 40k RPG General

Hot Xenos Bitches

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk. Inquisitor is okay, but not many people know about it.

Not sure between starting Dark Heresy 1e and 2e? Pick 2e.

>Why did FFG lose the 40k RPG License?
Because they were bought by Asmodee and that caused some sort of licensing conflict.

>Will GW make their own 40k RPGs now?
Probably not. But if they do it will likely be worse than you could possibly imagine.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Mars Needs Women! (v1.2.13) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)
mediafire.com/file/b5v9j8h3lop179d/

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.10) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/file/33er9oi2ot8ta34/

Old Thread: What is the craziest situation that has come up, because your Rogue Trader tried to get into someones pants?

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/file/j6k92d76cda7l8g
mediafire.com/file/w1d6aq5cdr6anmh
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

So basically I GM heavily modified Only War hook from GM kit. Party killed general, a new player will come in and I don't know how to play out the whole Dark Eldar attacking Severate Dominion and the rescue with new player. By heavily modified I meant I kicked out survival on local herbs bullshit since I don't like one mission go for a whole year and I actually made them get into abandoned hive and spooked the shit out of them, though they rekt DE scout party later due to the great rolls. Also, they had Jannisary attachement with them and one of them did a double crit on a frag nade.. during a final fight. (2d10, two 10's) Well I ask for your advice what to do next, thoughts and I hope sincerely that they dont lurk Veeky Forums.

So wait. What's the question? Where to go next?

World's your oyster mate. I had my guys go into an abandoned hive to find a lost archeotech cache, only to find there was a haemonculous' lab that was grabbing up people and making them into crazy monsters.

I meant how to play the whole dark eldar attack

Fast and extremely painful. They hit hard, but can't take it.

In Black Crusade, do blast weapons replace magnitude damage with their blast quality or is it added to the initial hit?

thread is dying and OP question is silly.

Now tell me about your character's biggest success and why was it important.

Added. So something that deals explosive damage with the Blast (3) quality does 5 magnitude damage if you bypass its soak.

Ok, it wasn't all that clear.

I do find it kinda funny that a frag grenade does 1 point of magnitude damage from the initial hit presumably by beaning someone in the face.

Does Baleful Dirge from BC affect allies as well as enemies?

Yes.

kek

Everything goes dark. Weather or spooky magic effects kick in, everything is suddenly pitch black and spooky. Then you start to hear the sound of baying hounds and the otherworldly whine of grav engines. The first strike is as reavers and hellions zoom past at a hundred miles an hour, removing limbs and heads before vanishing. The second is a wave of beasts that devour living and dead alike. Then the transports zoom in overhead and start disgorging kabalites and wyches, who start to slaughter and torment everything in sight. Then the reavers and hellions are back for another attack run. After a few rounds, as the PCs are thoroughly shitting themselves, the nets come out and the DE start nabbing all the captives they can before bugging out. They'll seed the planet with monsters and freaks as they make more raids, but use that first raid to instill absolute pants shitting terror. And if they think the Imperium has a real chance of driving them off and ruining their fun, out come the big guns.

>What is the craziest situation that has come up, because your Rogue Trader tried to get into someones pants?
>Now tell me about your character's biggest success and why was it important.

Related to both. My Rogue Trader was part of a fading dynasty, a well respected old family that was cash poor and only had one remaining heir (IE my character). So through various agents and factors I found out that the planetary governor of a medium sized hiveworld had seventeen daughters and no living sons. So the plan was to go and marry the eldest (Elizabeth), get a big dowry, use that to keep the wolves from the door, get a son out of her, and bump off the governor and any other sons he might manage to have in the mean time. Once this was all done the dynasty, effectively, would be able to pay off all creditors and effectively has a planet under its control via my son.

Now the wooing process was pretty straightforward, get the fathers approval, state my intentions to the lady, kill a couple of her suitors in traditional knife duels (the trick is to have a lathe blade monoknife with a tox dispenser and as many armour based cybernetics as possible), and then propose marriage.

Now unbeknownst to me the eldest daughters were twins Elizabeth and Lizbeth. Elizabeth was a fun loving adventurous girl, she enjoyed flying her Thunderbolt fighter that was a gift from her grandfather, stories of adventure on exotic planets, and taking potshot at lowhivers from her bedroom balcony. This was the girl for me. She was mightily taken by my dashing young(ish) Rogue Trader that had a voidship and a willingness to kill complete strangers in order to impress her.

Due to some machinations beyond my control I ended up marrying her twin sister, Lizbeth, a dour young lady who spent most of her youth in a Sororitas convent having the fun beaten out of her and a righteous zeal beaten in.

This ended up having long standing ramifications throughout the campaign.

Sounded like a fun campaign, tell us more about the results of that marriage.

So while I was running Spess Mareen: Republican Commando yesterday, one of my players summoned a maniple of Arlatax Battle Automata from their battleship to provide support. It was there that we realized that some of the battle automata weapon statblocks were a bit of a mess. That means I had to fix them.

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.12)
mediafire.com/file/j6k92d76cda7l8g
Changelog:
-Arlatax Power Claw now has the Power Field Quality
-Arlatax Arc Scourge now has the Power Field Quality
-Battle Automata Power Blade now has the Power Field Quality and its Pen is set to 12
-Battle Automata Siege Wrecker now has the Power Field Quality
-Arlatax Battle Automata now has Swift Attack
-Knight Seneschal now boosts ALL Knight Shield PR by +15. This affects the Cerastus Knight Lancer and its Ion Gauntlet Field, and the Sanctuary Ion Field Relic
-Eldar Corsair Wraithguard now specifies what move to take when going full retard

Mars Needs Women! (v1.2.15)
mediafire.com/file/w1d6aq5cdr6anmh
Changelog:
-Arlatax Power Claw now has the Power Field Quality
-Arlatax Arc Scourge now has the Power Field Quality
-Battle Automata Power Blade now has the Power Field Quality and its Pen is set to 12
-Battle Automata Siege Wrecker now has the Power Field Quality
-Arlatax Battle Automata now has Swift Attack

Got lots of good data yesterday. Everything's working out great.

Because the fantasy general only cares about tabletop I don't suppose you will indulge my fucking plebitude to ask for some resources for the Warhammer Fantasy RPG shit, since FFG is also going to be losing that.

So I have a Deathwatch player that wants to play a Devastator... a melee-focused Devastator. And while I plan on starting him off with an Eviscerator, I'd like some help with inspiration for large (preferably two handed) weaponry.

Just let him to take Champion advance later. I really don't understand what's the point?

Has he explained why he wants the specialty with the least melee potential to be in melee? Because this seems absolutely retarded.

Have you ever seen or used the Ceasefire war condition for logistics tests in Only War? How long would such a thing last and with who?

>Melee focused devastator
Please tell me he want's to be a Black Templar. That said just let him be an assault marine and swap his jetpack and chainsword with an eviscerater.

I think a ceasefire is more along the lines of neither side having active operations at the moment.

... Now I want to know.

My character got pregnant.
>keeping the line strong

Anyone know which book / page # this is in?

... Nevermind, I found it. Enemies Within, 123.

So, a situation that never comes up in 40k?

>rolling up a bunch of characters for fun
>trying to stick with a theme but otherwise optimize it
>make rich kid wannabe stormtrooper
>daddy's little princess gets whatever she wants
>including carapace armour, hotshot weapons, and shooting lessons
>highborn, administratum, and desperado
>agile, shooty, and talkative
>part of me wanna spend the last 200 experience from character gen on trade(perform) and fluff it as being a ballerina before she decided that was boring
>think it's a neat detail and that she should start with it she gets it at all
>powergamer in me tells me i'm an idiot and could use that experience on a fellowship updgrade and charm or dodge +10

Is 200 experience too much to waste on fluffy skills that I'm 99% sure won't ever come up or am I worrying about nothing? Already on 41 agility and step aside.

OH MAN! Thanks user, will use

Take ballerina! Whilst it does not provide any immediate benefit, it's a good roleplaying hook and if you can work it into actual play your GM might allow some discount on agility based talents.

My tech-priest uses copyist and scrimshaw to engrave binaric representations of Litanies of Accuracy and reliability on any ranged weapon he works on, so our GM started to count it as an additional DoS on tests to customise or add accessories.

So, if you were to use a Rune Weapon to imprison a Daemon, would it retain its Tearing and Tainted qualities do you think?

It happens often enough, if you're not a sperg who thinks the "there is only war" is literal. Imperium and other forces call ceasefires, such as with the Tau and the like. It happens.

Thanks, sticking with ballerina then.

>such as with the Tau and the like.

Not really. It's a cease for outright war. Skirmishes over colonies and shadow wars between the Tau and Imperium rage during those ceasefies

To this day I wonder why they gave assault marines eviscerators instead of chainfists.

in my games, fluff is the driving factor and I would much more appreciate, value and reward player who does stuff like this.

Against High-Agility Opponents, Full auto is the next best thing to explosives and flamethrowers, right?

Or the inescapable shot talent, depending on what edition you're playing.

How "big" is a human psyker's soul compared to say, an Eldars?

If someone was to perform some horrific xeno technosorcery, could multiple human psyker souls "fit" into one eldar soulstone?

Newb RPer here, first time playing a Rogue Trader myself i basically made them Star Lord, a former pirate who discovered his real heritage and assembles a mixed crew to do wacky things in space.

On one of our early missions from the family, we arrived in a fairly populated system where we were delivering some goods when we found out about some big shindig that was going to happen. Needing a way in, my character and his adopted parental figure go to a rave, get in good with the local uppercrust youth, and get an invite to the big party from a girl who immediately catches his attention.

Fastforward a bit past some sidequests and partygoing, we discover my LI is distantly related to the Planetary governor, who recently passed and was succeeded by his 10 year old son and scheming wife. She asks us to help negotiate a treaty between the various factions vying for control, since the dowager queen is pretty bitchy and unpopular with the rest of the local nobilitae. We figure its an ambush, so I station the party around the area to watch out for obvious traps, while the noble members of the crew attend the parlay to officiate and keep the peace.

Of course things go south, soldiers swarm the meeting and almost everyone with a claim is assassinated by pre-placed mercenaries. We are almost blamed for everything by a zealous fanatic, but with some quick thinking from our Explorator who's a shutterbug and the Seneschal, we prove our innocence and get a lot of good will by uncovering who dunnit.

Without anyone else to inherit the planetary throne, the local nobility we convince the survivors to get the LI to be governor. She becomes Governor, and my RTs on-again off-again girlfriend, and everyone except the party doesnt even realize how she twisted people around her finger and manipulated people to do her dirty work for her.

>How "big" is a human psyker's soul compared to say, an Eldars?

Bear with me: there are two main factors to account for: strength and brightness.

I think reasonable assumption in terms of visibility would be comparing a human to a space marine - you can tell when you see one.

Eldar souls are described as very strong and consistent - which is why Eldar are able to preserve their consciousness after death. But they glow with strong, but steadly light, wheras human psyker souls are described as bright novas, much aking to wildfire.

>If someone was to perform some horrific xeno technosorcery, could multiple human psyker souls "fit" into one eldar soulstone?
as many as plot demands - make the stone larger, the rituals more horrific or the make the soulstone appear cracked under strain. Trust yourself, have fun and remember about making stuff somewhat believeable in-world.

the time my Adept used paradoxes to break the time space continuum to save the party and ship we were on from a Dark Eldar attack, and, if it were not for the intervention of a Daemon Prince of Tzeench who had power over time (and was sick of our shit) and the Ordo Chronos, was on the verge of working out time travel (I'd put a lot of exp into intelligence, Logic and stuff like that) who preceded to undo all the damage we caused to time (there was a LOT) and throw us back to before we left, with the Prince giving us a smooth trip through The Warp as he did NOT want to see us again

what on earth did you do to piss off tzeentch daemon prince so much he didn't want to deal with you anymore?

GM says you can't aim with heavy weapons. The quick rundown of the various weapon types on page 145 makes no mention of this, it just says you have to brace heavy weapons or get a -30 penalty to hit and be unable to fire full or semi auto.

GM said it was "somwhere else", does anyone know where?

>Eldar souls are described as very strong and consistent - which is why Eldar are able to preserve their consciousness after death.

To be fair, there are also the occasional human psykers that can pull that stunt using Eldar spirit stones, too. You find a Spirit Stone with an Inquisitor's soul in it in one of the Rogue Trader adventures, for instance.

Flamethrowers are absolute garbage against high-Ag opponents, you don't make a BS test to hit, they make an AG to try and make you miss, and that's before the Dodge.

Pulling it out of his ass, you can aim Heavy weapons with no issue unless it has something like Inaccurate.

He pulled it out of his fat ass

Oh yeah, the fading suns trilogy is absolutely top tier, but I can't as talking about the general rules

That fucker.

Now I'll just have to convince him he's full of shit.

I am thinking of playing a Crimson guard in DH 1ed. I read the first few chapters of the Skitarii novel and the idea of a Tech-priest remote controlling skitarii gave me an idea. Would it be possible for me to mentally link up with my teams tech priest, pacific rim style so I know everything they know and vice versa? he is cool with the idea but i haven't told my GM as the skitarii is my next character in the event of my guardsman dying.

anyway game wise beyond as i said the mutual knowledge the other perks i was thinking for it would be improved coordination between the linked individuals and a buff on non physical skill tests such as intelligence which can be justified as combining processing power of our cogitators, the main balance to this would be the need to roll willpower every now and then in order to maintain individuality and maybe fellowship in order to keep a stable mental link. the ability would not always be active so the tech priest and myself can do our own thing when need be. what do you chaps think? do you think i can get away with it?

I have not read anything that says you cant do it and im pretty sure Crimson guard and Tech-priests can both get mind impulse units which is the implant i plan to use as the in game means of pulling this off. any thoughts?

I wouldn't recommend thinking too hard on the actual crunch benefits before you tell your GM. I, personally, would have no problem with it but I'd probably want to discuss with my player the exact crunch benefits after determining narrative, is it complete combined processing, constant vox-links between translator implants, how one-way is the information, etc.

I was thinking complete combined processing

I'm not familiar with the DW RAW but as far as I know lore wise only terminator armor can be equipped with chainfists.

I love the thallax models from 30k, and I ordered 6 from forgeworld.

How many autistic reeeees will I get for fielding them as space marines?

Wrong thread, friendo.
Also they're bigger than marines, you'll get all the rees.

My bad

Crimson Guard aren't skitarii though

Daemon weapon of Khorne. A blood cooled archaotec Maxim pattern heavy stubber from a war long forgotten.

How would you crunch it? Thinking of upping the rate of fire, or making it harder to dodge, or pinning shit particularly bad. Maybe less if any penalty to hit on supressive fire. The downside would be that when first you pull the trigger, it'll keep firing until something bleeds.

What daemon weapons do you wanna include in games? Wanna include a revolver or flintlock pistol or something, I have a soft spot for older and less powerful designs.

From what I read from the lore they seem to be similar enough tech wise but much more powerful and they were formed from what was left of the original skitarii legions in the sector. I understand their different role with them guarding the lathes and operating in smaller units. if there are any key differences that you think will scupper my plan please let me know.

Which chaos space Marine chapter would Garland from final fantasy l count as? I'm thinking Night Lords, but my campaign is fairly vampire heavy.

I think the whole thing is the Crimson Guard were FFG's attempt to sidestep GW's prohibition from actual skitarii, so they went with the integrated weapon toting, super augmented "tech-guard" concept. Functionally, they have different weapons and methods of war, of which they severely lag behind real skitarii, secutarii, and sicarians, but thematically, they should more or less work the same. Definitely based on GM perogative if they can do the whole Doctrina thing invented after their release.

cheers for the info.

Crimson Guard are full-fledged Tech Priests who happen to have a more martial bent; in the terms of the board game, they'd be a part of the Cult Mechanicus faction, not the Skitarii faction.

That said, though, a Good-quality MIU lets you connect your mind to a servitor to remote-control it and see through its eyes and hear through its ears. Given that all Tech Priests have built in Vox units as part of their Mechanicus Implants trait, I think that if two Tech Priests had such implants, they'd certainly be able to share sensory data between them.

Give it Tearing quality: On a jam, it does d5 damage (no reductions) to user as it drains blood to help itself cool down.

This is great, particularly the blood draining.

It'd literally just be a worse version of a Bolter, though? Bigger, heavier, less damage and AP, daemonic control tests to avoid possession, and for what?

For the glory of the Blood God

I think it could have a property where the more enemies it kills (for example, mowing down hordes and massed enemy mooks) in an encounter, the more powerful it becomes, ultimately becoming simply ridiculous- but the boon only lasts as long as the slaughter.

Give it the Crippling quality. Little bullets made of blood cutting through flesh. Maybe have the quality dependent on WP or so.

Give it a few Daemon weapon qualities too. Howling and Piercing would be good. Maybe a WP of 5 with a binding strength of 3.

That is what Hellblades already do.

That is the Wounding quality.

Exactly. They can take only a half action or bleed for X damage from the Crippling quality. Makes each potential shot quite dangerous. It doesn't stack though, but a constant dot is great.

>Update
Belt-fed, larger ammo capacity.
Probably a higher full auto ROF (depends on what you're comparing it to).
As a liquid cooled archeo-tech weapon, you can also justify it having reliable trait.

How do you build psykers? It all seems like a huge mess of some really useful powers in a sea of useless experience taxes and discipline trees that require a mix of aptitudes that dont' really come up in the roles. Is there a feasible way to build a psyker that's doesn't just find a corner to hide in and cast powers from? Even biomancy seems to roll like that until you get warp speed and become a ninja with unnatural agility, weapon skill, and ballistic skill (5), iron arm seems cool, but you tank your agility so much that you really have to hope your unnatural toughness (1-3) saves you, and experience tells me going into melee with shit dodge will fuck you, even if you have 11 damage reduction.

Which line?

Assuming you're talking about DH2, here are my observations from playing a diviner:

>Get the psychic dodge power from divination; evading using a focus power test with no downside for dropping your psy rating to 1 is very useful. Being able to make a focus power test to gain blindsense is also useful. Support powers are less useful without a very high psy rating, and naturally the actual future prediction powers depend on your GM.
>Pyromancy is the most cost effective school for killing things. A dip into it will be worthwhile, and fully focusing on it will mean your psyker gains a full auto flame quality attack, a fucking meltabeam and a firebomb too. Agility is only needed for the defensive buff powers, murdering only needs psy rating.
>A dip in telepathy gets you a means to interrogate recalcitrant prisoners, wipe memories and force people to obey basic commands.

In general.

What bugs me about the evasion power is that as far as I have understood, it's a -10 perception test, so as far I can tell, you're paying 300 xp for an evasion roll on your 30something perception, with a -10 on it, instead of paying 200-300 xp for an evasion roll on a plain 30something agility.

A psy focus alone is a +10 to focus tests so it cancels that out.

From RT to OW, each point of psy rating used for the test is a +5 to the roll and it adds up pretty fast.

In 2e, every point of psy rating below your normal psy rating adds +10 to the roll and is one of the few, if not the only, power that does not use psy rating in any actual calculations.

>Twas not as planned.

So, if the ability doesn't use psy rating it's +10 to cancel out the -10? Does psy rating 2 the give +20 for a total of +10?

My group and I have literally just started playing tabletop RPG's, and we started with Pathfinder. RIght now I'm the eternal GM, but I'd like to play some sort of 40k tabletop.

Is there a way we can somehow play 40k with Pathfinder? I don't have enough money to buy a new set right now, and we're familiar with the system already.

Check the OP.

All you need as a poorfag.

You could do 40k in pathfinder, if you feel like statting everything. Probably easier to use an FFG system.

Jesus Christ, what are you even saying? Stop what you're doing and actually read the psyker rules before you ask these questions.

No, you're confusing other psy systems with 2e weird ass semi-backwards system.

If Pete the psyker has a psy rating of 3 then:

In RT, DW, BC, and OW, he has a +15 to a focus test from psy rating if he just uses a power without fettering or pushing. Fettered at 2 would give a +10 and pushing to 4 would give +20.

In 2e, he has no bonuses from straight using a power. If he uses a power at 2, he would have a +10 and pushing to 4 would be a -10.

Note that fettered doesn't exist in 2e, thus every power has a chance at phenomena.

I wouldn't recommend it ever.

Ok, I'll look at the OP a little more closely. I only skimmed since I'm a little overwhelmed by tabletop right now.

Seems to be the general consensus on leddit too.

If you guys can run and understand Pathfinder, you sure as hell can run and understand the 40k RPGs. Just know that gets less mechanically refined the farther back you go with the timeline being DH 1e, RT, DW, BC, OW, DH 2e.

Another concept that might take some time for your group to wrap their minds around is how rolling. In Pathfinder, it is a test against an enemy/difficulty/etc where as in 40k RPG, it is a test against themselves.

We're tabletop noobs, and we've got a few house rules that make it slightly less work to play, but we'd eventually puzzle out anything. But thanks for the timeline, I'm dl'ing the core rullbook for Dark Heresy 2e now, since it seems pretty interesting.

And thanks for the tip. If we play, I'll definitely tell them that.

Once you get the hang of it, the d100 system that FFG uses is so much easier to deal with than the labyrinth that is Pathfinder

It has it's hangups. Especially if the GM doesn't arbitrate roll-bonuses often.

Having about a 1/3rd chance of succeeding at any given thing tends to suck in it's own way.

Or having a -50 to a test because the GM hates your character.

What is the one piece of equipment that for whatever reason, you just really like?

Concealable power knife. It saved my ass repeatedly in black crusade now I try to get one for every character. Even though I have had to fight my gm every single time since it's only in the BC rulebook he thinks that means its a "weapon of chaos."

Explain that its not like there's a hard line drawn around a marine that says what their task is. By the point in his career that he joins Deathwatch, a marine is going to have been in devastator squads, assault squads and tactical squads. The role you choose is just the one your chatacter excels at/likes the most. If he's choppy then he's assault. Or I guess a tacmarine also.

Well it is in DH 1e and 2e, though a power sword with the Compact modification would be almost the same.

Shit gms.

IMO Crippling is more Slaanesh than Khorne.
Remembering that this is a Khornate demon bound into a heavy weapon, it's not going to be "happy" with not getting into close combat, which is the "raison d'ĂȘtre" for Khorne's followers, it is unlikely to enjoy having a power that would deny others the chance to fully experience the thrill of hand to hand combat.

>it's only in the BC
Go look properly before you state wrong opinions as facts.
DH 1 Core Rulebook, Power Blade is on page 139.
DH 1 Inquisitors Handbook, Serpentine is on page 124.

Is it me, or are the Slaanesh mutation modifications in BC kinda shit?

I also wish there was an even bigger chart with more mutations on it, desu. More variety, more madness.

How so?

Doesn't WFRP 2e have a book with larger tables? Less grimdark and irreverent, but still.

Jesus fucking christ

Did any of you guys read the fall of cadia thing? My fucking god I can write fan fiction better than that "Crusade"