Board Game General /bgg/

Last thread:
Pastebin:
>pastebin.com/NA2W929q

What classic/essential games do you keep in your collection? Which fell flat with your group? What's in your collection that will be a classic in 5-10 years?

Most importantly what do you own that should be a classic, but just doesn't seem to get played/noticed enough to make it into the spotlight? We need more hidden gems /bgg/

I've heard some people say that the additions to the Old World deck from the horned rat expansion are pretty shit.
Are the new spell/upgrade cards alright, or is playable skaven the only thing worth using.

The new spell/upgrade cards homogenize the Powers and make Khorne OP. Only Skaven is worth using.
The Old World cards are also worth using, but in far less numbers than the rules say.

>classic/essential
Cosmic Encounter, Avalon Hill Civilization, Pandemic, 7 Wonders

>potential classics
Kemet

>games that should be in the spotlight
as far as less-divisive games go in my collection, Quartermaster General. I picked that up a couple days ago and everyone who played yesterday was keen to play it again

I like the Morrslieb decks better, they give you some playstyle flexibility, games can be won by all powers using diferent tactics instead of using the same overall strategy every single game.
Also Slaanesh (my favorite power) has a fighting chance now, he's not just an annoyance or a kingmaker anymore.
Old World decks can practically fuck an unlucky player out of the game, use wisely.
Skaven are fantastic, though a 5-player game can feel a bit cramped on the board. Nothing too bad tho.
People get salty because Khorne can now win via points and map control instead of mindless aggression. I like that. The points victories. And the salt.

>Classic
Power Grid, Cosmic Encounter, Catan, Carcassonne, WizWar
Is Pandemic a classic now?

If not
>Potential Classics
Pandemic, Targi, Neuroshima Hex, Splendor, Castles of Burgundy

>Hidden gems
Keyflower is not really hidden, but it won't get traction with the casuals
Biblios is great, but it's too light to be considered serious classic material
Viticulture's theme will never appeal to the cool kids
Helionox is the only rare thing I own , and it's a kickass deckbuilder that couldn't get enough attention to get an expansion/second printing.

My kid's reaction was about as funny as my own...
Funnier was receiving the email today telling me the packages were on their way!

Now to find playe... ah, who am I kidding, I bought them just for painting anyway.

Anyone have recommendations or a rec chart for team games, preferably 2v2, 3v3 or 2v2v2?

>3v3 or 2v2v2?
Rex: Final Days of an Empire can be this along with 1v1v1v1v1v1.

>tfw can't find pandemic legacy for under 40 bucks

Inb4 they discontinue it to make way for season 2

>What classic/essential games do you keep in your collection?
Carcassonne, Pandemic, Cosmic Encounter, The Resistance: Avalon

>What's in your collection that will be a classic in 5-10 years?
Coup & Love Letter if they aren't considered that already, I'd also say Codenames will be regarded as a classic within a few years.

>Most importantly what do you own that should be a classic, but just doesn't seem to get played/noticed enough to make it into the spotlight?
I regularly shill for Valley of the Kings, best deckbuilder I've ever played for a number of reasons.

Like what?

>I regularly shill for Valley of the Kings, best deckbuilder I've ever played for a number of reasons.

>get the card that takes the lowest-costing card in the pyramid and entombs it
>pare deck down to that, offering table, three shabtis
They won't play again until I get an expansion.

It's a relatively short game, starter cards aren't worthless trash, your deck ≠ your score, it forces interesting decisions (Do I score this card? keep it for its action/gold value? swap it? Do I swap a card in the pyramid to prolong the game or blow one up to screw someone out of an extra turn? etc), you can only see some of the cards to buy but also know a few which are coming up soon, things like that really set it apart from all the others I've played.

Also the theme is a plus for me but it's really superfluous to the game itself.

Kek, first class trolling there user. Although they really shouldn't have let you whittle your deck down so low.

I am Very Old, and had even older friends all those years ago when I was young, so I have a soft spot for some of the old, overly-complicated wargames that we used to play (because they're the ones I learned).

>Circus Maximus
>Panzer Division
>Starfleet Battles

And I'll always love my first board game crushes: the MB Master Series

>Fortress America
>Axis & Allies
>Shogun

I still keep Fortress America, original 1986 version that I bought new.

as far as new games are concerned, I think that Concordia doesn't get the love it deserves for being the elegant yet sophisticated gem it is.

Legendary Predator vs Legendary Alien?

Which one?

>What classic/essential games do you keep in your collection?
Settlers of Catan/Munchkin - they're what started me on this journey, though I recognize they are bad games and cannot stand playing them.

BattleCON - it's a beautifully designed game whose simplicity and natural depth can only be described as elegance

Race for the Galaxy - It's an interesting game that continually stays fresh. Especially with drafting. It's a low skill floor with a pretty high skill ceiling. Drafting takes away a lot of the chance/variance.

>Which fell flat with your group?
Illuminati - the whole group agreed never to play it again.

Dead of Winter - I can't stand this, but some people in my group like it

Cosmic Encounter - I fucking hate this game so much. Everyone else likes it

Tales of Arabian Nights - Fuck this game, too.

>What's in your collection that will be a classic in 5-10 years
Magic?

No idea.

>what do you own that should be a classic, but just doesn't seem to get played/noticed enough to make it into the spotlight? We need more hidden gems /bgg/
BattleCON all the way. I feel it's almost criminal how little people know about it. It's the most intense 1v1 game I've ever played. There's virtually no chance, it's just you and the other guy making decisions. The *only* thing I don't like about it is some machups are unfair, though that's the exception.

I lied. There's one other thing I don't like:
The game comes in a sealed box with so many characters. I would if the game came with a LCG distribution method. You buy a base game that comes with say 10 characters. Then there are supplemental packs you can swap cards out for or they have alternative art/abilities. I think that's part of the reason it's so small (no hype/customization).

Congratulations anons, I need to get a deckbuilder to round out the collection a bit so Valley of the Kings it is. Baseball Highlights will have to wait a bit.

Barnes and Noble, local one had 4 copies in sure they can pick and pack from whatever random store and deliver one to you.

I think the only game that really bombed in my group was Marvel Legendary. The absolutely insane setup time was part of it, but there was also the complete lack of planning available in a 5 player game. A guy that showed up on your turn can escape by the time it gets back to you, the upgrades can be completely different, and so on. Even in a 3 player game there are some scenarios where you just lose no matter what. The last time we played we randomized everything, and ended up with the wounds scheme plus the hulk, who filled up our trade row at the start. We ended up losing after everyone had had like three or four turns. Plus the game itself just isn't that fun-- the heroes don't feel powerful and they're almost all just raw stats without anything that makes your deck feel unique.

Personal recommendation: get Afterlife first.

>Helionox
how do you draft rftg. is that variant on bbg ?

People really buy those retarded Marvel games? How does it feel knowing their dick is so deep in your ass you can't even recognize a shit product anymore?

Similar to Cube in Magic. Everyone gets a set of cards. They choose one and pass the stack. Then a new stack and repeat. And so on until everyone has a minimum number of cards. Those become your deck. Then you play as normal but each person has their own deck.

here's your (you), /tv/ is that way >>>

They sell it for retail and I'm a cheap bastard.

>all the games in my cart going to 1 left in stock
>clicking buy left and right

This can only end in regret

Axis and Allies 1940 Global Second Edition is fantastic for any dedicated strategy fan.

However, I've recently fell in love with Risk: Europe. It's set up to where the turns take much less time while still retaining interesting and thoughtful strategy. Definently recommend.

Thoughts on imperial assault? Seems pricey, but looks fun. I'm digging the reskinned descent style. Never played descent, so considering starting here because of the star wars theme

>defending marvel legendary

its cool, but would only recommend if you really like SW

It's ok, shares many of Descent's problems though. Bonus is you get s pretty good 2p skirmish game as well.

>thinking he gives 2 shits about capefags and their arbitrary lines about which children's cartoon character who wears their underpants on the outside is better
No ones cares but you /tv/. Not even /co/ cares as much as you.

I don't know what you're on about, Marvel Legendary really is garbage.

If you like Sci-fi and are looking for an excellent Deck Builder - pic related...

It's fairly obvious that user is mocking the other user's 'KYS' level of 'Ass-pained' over someone liking a board game. It's on par with the OMG you play... Munchkin / Talisman / (Stop liking what I don't like) 8 year old levels of histrionics that routinely crop up in these threads. I don't have any problem with someone who can form a cogent argument about what / why they dislike a given game, but the "I don't like it - therefore it's shit" argument that is routinely trotted out is for mental midgets and utterly fails to help those new to board games find better alternatives.

>claims to want to help people find good board games
>refuses to acknowledge that marvel legends is shit
holy fuck dude, you're not doing anyone favors either. the game is bad. ya, that guy is overly angry but its Veeky Forums, wtf do you expect. you're not helping anyone by shilling for a bullshit game. marvel legends does nothing well and is a blatant attempt to cash in on a popular ip and popular game mechanic. the game is absolute trash and no one would ever dare mention it here if it wasn't for marvel fanboys who want to circle jerk about anything with a superhero's face on it.

you're calling other people "mental midgets" but your whole argument is just that someone is buttmad. do you have any reason that marvel legends should not be shit on? if not then shut the fuck up, and if so share it so people can make informed decisions.

fucking christ why do people like you just have to turn everything into a shitstorm instead of just sharing their opinions? you are as much the problem as anyone else in this particular situation.

Now to practice what I've preached, for anyone who gives a fuck: Marvel Legends just takes mechanics from other games and jams them together with pictures of superheroes on the cards. there is no depth to the game, all the heros abilities are boring, and the way they sell expansions is one of the most obvious money grabs in the entire industry. if you're one of the circle jerking fanboys you'll probably like it cuz it has superheros on it, so fine go ahead and like what you like. If the theme alone is not enough for you then you absolutely should avoid Marvel Legends as they put very little thought into the design of the game because they knew they didn't need to. There are lots of good games available in its genre and, other than the theme, there is nothing that Marvel Legends does better than those games.

just realized i called it marvel legends the whole time. fuck me

Someone else knows this game? I kind of figured I was the only one. Which is a shame, because it's honestly the best deckbuilder I've ever played.

We all know what it is and frankly most of us into deckbuilders think the draw-pile mechanic is trash and Core Worlds does nothing to alleviate this.

I'd recommend giving Legendary Encounters a try. It fixes a number of the original Legendary's problems, gives you starting cantrips which helps you differentiate your deck from the get-go, and adds in cards you can use to help other players to avoid the "multiplayer solitaire" element a lot of deckbuilders have.

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by that. What's the issue?

Not at all user

Do you guys think we'll ever get another game in this series? The last one was two years ago.

Wow, do you fail at reading!

1. I've made ZERO claims about the Marvel Legendary system. I simply pointed out why others were mocking 'Mr. Butthurt'.

2. I pointed out that "Whaaa! Stop liking what I don't like!" is a moronic screed that helps no one.

3. "sharing their opinions" - people here some to have the retarded idea that their own opinions = fact. Yet they can't manage to formulate an intelligent position on something.

4. After pissing and moaning for 3 clueless paragraphs you *FINALLY* manage to come up with something that might clue a new gamer into why they might not want to buy the Marvel game. Bravo!

Are any of those worth getting?

this is the most 2eddit post I've seen all day. if you're looking for people to be nice, go back there, sport. otherwise try contributing to the thread rather than just shitting it up. this site is anonymous, you gain nothing from defending yourself like this. i know its hard for you plebbitors to understand, but once you do we'll all be better off. so, do you actually have any opinions on board games you'd like to share? or did you come to this thread to do literally nothing but whine like a whore that didn't get paid?
They're alright, pretty much straight dungeon crawlers, full co op not 1vall or anything. I've mainly played Ravenloft and its actually kind of challenging.

Sup /bgg/?

I'm thinking of expanding my collection with a few games that use hexagonal grids. Does anyone have a favorite?

I'm mainly a wargamer and I wanted to try out Ogre and Conflict of Heroes, as well as Catan since it's so popular.

I like neuroshima hex, it's a war theme but doesn't use models and uses an interesting battle system where you place a bunch of dudes on the map aiming various directions, then eventually someone draws and plays a "start a fight" tile and all the dudes attack in initiative order

Thanks, that looks pretty cool so far. Watching a playthrough now

> What doesn't count
Games with politics, backstabbing, unknown teams or hidden traitor mechanics, 1vMany.

Games:
> Cyclades
2v2, 3v3 or 2v2v2. Symmetric roles.
> StarCraft
Team play variant. Symmetric roles (differen races)
> Captain Sonar
team vs team, different roles
> Space Cadets: Dice Duel
team vs team, different roles
> Code Names
team vs team, party game
> Sails of Glory
technically works with literally any count
> Quartermaster General
Team vs team, n vs m | 1 >= n >= m >= 3
> Last Night on Earth
Usually a 1vMany game but can be played as team vs team with 6 or 4 players (2v4 or 2v2)
> Duel of Ages II
Duel of Ages II should fit the bill pretty well and can work with uneven player numbers if people are willing to manage more characters, has enough strategy and management involved to be considered complicated (highly variable character powers and stats, characters relying on using ranged weapons which need to be picked up and most likely traded) and also scales up to 8 players, 16 with the expansion. I believe it's currently OOP (pretty sure the Master Set is and boy is that an expansion and a half) but I imagine there will be another print run sometime this decade as the designer is working on another expansion
> 1775: rebellion
2v2
> 1812: The Invasion of Canad
3v2

Too lazy to check the counts/verifya
> Arena of the Planeswalkers
> Heroscape

Played it a bit with my friends and loved it.

Duel of Ages II, Cave Evil: Warcults is a close second

DoA2 is a truly unique board game which is part adventure and part wargame that involves a lot of area control due to all of the different objectives to acquire VP, feels like a mix of MOBAs (with regards to the fact there's 48 characters which are randomly selected, and another 144 in a single expansion which mostly have a mix of crazy abilities) and Jagged Alliance 2

Warcults is the best thematic wargame I've ever played, the art is black metal as fuck

Got surprised today: there was a copy of Twilight Imperium in my local shop. Never noticed the damn thing, and the shopkeeper told me they've had it in stock for more than 2 years. 99€ the thing, it's fucking huge.

There's an app for it which some say is superior to the board game, haven't used it so can't say if that's really so.

That said the game is really good.

Got New Angeles to the table last night with 5, but I was a little dissapointed. Between the slightly easier "first time" setup and the way secret objectives dealt out, everyone's competitive side felt a little muted. A weird number of propsed deals went through without any counteroffer. We still nearly lost as a whole due to threat, but as a whole the entire affair was almost. . . friendly.
Hopefully a second play with the same people will be better.

a best - but try and get it cheaper

I'm a fan of OGRE and they're coming out with a new large format edition as well as a line of plastic minis. You may also be able to find copies of the classic 'pocket edition' that was reprinted a while back - price $3. As for other war games you might like - I'd agree with the other user's suggestion of Neuroshima Hex. You might also Small World which hides the fact that it's a war game so it's easier to get non 'war gamers' to try it. And I'd point you to Heroes of Normandie - a 'light' WWII game with great artwork to boot. As for Catan, it's not as popular as it once was, due to games with better mechanics having been out for a long time.

Thanks anons

>Heroes of Normandie
Seconded, though it's not a hex map. Fantastic light wargame.

Out of curiosity, do you have a deckbuilder that you like enough to recommend user?

It is friendly, in a sense. As long as you meet your individual goal, you don't give a flying fuck how well the other players do.

That said, if anyone in your group lost (which is likely) they fucked up by not holding the game hostage. After all, it's better to lose together (or to just the traitor) than it is to lose to other players.

Yeah, everyone but one guy way in the back felt pretty confident they had it in the bag, but he should have been milking us dry to not tank the game, especially with threat so close.

Has anyone played The Mushroom Eaters? I was about to order Cave Evil: Warcults and was thinking about whether or not I should grab that as well.

Not that user, but generally Dominion is still considered to have the most depth and best balance. Most people who dislike it or like other games more knock is specifically because it has weak theme and/or lacks direct interaction, but I've never heard someone say that anger deckbuilder actually does what dominion is good at better than dominion.

Was mostly asking to gauge whether the user actually hates Legendary, or hates deckbuilders in general, since most of them borrow a lot from Dominion, and can feel pretty samey once you've played enough of them, though exceptions do exist.

Core Worlds guy here - Dominion is good. It just never clicked with me. I played it once and it was 'OK' but I have zero urge to every play it again. That said, mechanically / rules wise - it's well designed and I've suggested it to other gamers looking for deck builders on more than one occasion.

The base set can definitely be boring if it's not your first deckbuilder, but the game opens up a lot with expansions. I would probably never want to play just the base set again, but if someone asked me to play any other set on its own I'd probably say yes.

I think it's because Dominion limits what you can do in a turn based on Actions and Buy, and makes acquiring Victory points actively detrimental to the health of your deck. Almost all the follow-the-leader games completely ignored those vital tradeoffs you have to make, which is why they're never going to be as good.

I think that's why I like Core Worlds so much. Everything you do is limited by actions and energy, so you have to make tradeoffs and choices. It's the same reason I like Eminent Domain - you can't go on purchasing sprees, and if you're not careful with your turns your enemies will piggyback off of you to victory.

This is why Trains is my favorite deckbuilder atm, it doesn't do anything truly "better" than Dominion, but the addition of a board as a focal point and interaction between players makes it more of a game and less of a solo activity.

The "trade row" or whatever it's called is also worse than a kingdom in almost every way. To make it so every card is buyable they have to homogenize abilities and kill any sort of combos or otherwise creative deckbuilding-- having a kingdom means if a card without any synergizing pieces shows up, you can just... buy other cards in the kingdom that game. It also just lets you formulate an actual strategy instead of just buying whatever the card with the most raw stats on it is available at the time.

Much appreciated

No worries. I've been trying to collect a list of team games for myself and decide what to buy. I have enough of FFAs.

Or maybe I'll ask here as well.

Been thinking about getting Doom BG 1st Ed lately as I've found a seller nearby at an affordable price, but remembered new version came out lately.

Could anyone who has played both describe differences and say which one he finds better?

Unfortunately since the 1st Edition of Doom came out in 2004 (13 years ago) you're unlikely to run across anyone here who has played both. You *might* be able to find either rules pdf's of both versions or perhaps and ancient youtube review / how to play video of 1st edition instead to find what has changed.

As a fan of core worlds, I can still easily see where this could be a deal breaker for some deck builder fans.

> buying whatever the card with the most raw stats on it is

(But sometimes I just WANT the 'Biggest Bastard' card in the game. => )

I find that the new spells/upgrade cards actually make Tzeentch into a much better faction and easier to win with compared to the base set cards.

Ah, yeah, I can see that. I thinklst halfway decent deckbuilders manage to make it work anyway - Core Worlds, for example, has a lot of card synergies that reward making a strategy rather than just picking up whatever costs the most energy.

That's one reason I really like Eminent Domain, though. The planets might be random, but you know what the Sciences are and what the Role cards are, so you get to decide what you're going to build towards.

Uhhh isn't Temple of Elemental Evil part of that system as well? They're just using the 5th edition D&D logo and font on it I think.

I actually replied to your thread btw

Oh I didn't notice the reply there but did here.

I've read up the manuals and watched few videos and I think I'll settle for the new version. The biggest differences I see are the exploration in original, as in you add map pieces when marines go through map and the whole map being built from start in the new version and the simplification of dice/attack rules in the new version (in its favor imo from what I read). The new figurines seem to look better too.

On the other hand the guy IS selling the base+exp for ~$100 and I wonder if I should get it just to keep it for next ten years, as it seems to be in pretty good condition from pictures.

Well if it's both base set and expansion then sure that's not too bad. Might even rest easy knowing that the older version of Doom board game will probably have some rarity to it and possibly have value in the long future.

Though mind you, WHY NOT BOTH?

Any game nights tonight lads?

>Has anyone played The Mushroom Eaters?
Anyone? I'm still trying to decide if I should get it.

The expansion alone has ridiculous value for the old version, they didn't print nearly as many copies of that as they did the base game.

Still the same person, so ~$100 for both in what I can tell is good quality is a steal?

Well shit, I'm not in US so I'm just converting the currency but I didn't bother with checking ebay.

I'm mailing the guy tomorrow.

>Kek, first class trolling there user. Although they really shouldn't have let you whittle your deck down so low.
This was game two, they didn't know.

would have been even funnier if you had gotten both copies.

What would you guys recommend for 3 player games? ~Medium weight

I'm already thinking about Dominion and Kemet. Might pick them both up.

Any reason to take neuroshima hex 3.0? I heard it has better quality pieces / board but diminished features compared to previous edition(s)

Diminished features?
As far as I know it's exactly the same game, and it just got a graphic overhaul. Both editions are totally compatible.

Does Pandemic Legacy make original Pandemic pointless? I mean is it the ultimate Pandemic experience, not just a somewhat different one?

You could potentially play a normal game of Pandemic with the Legacy components, so in that sense the game is redundant. However, since you'll be modifying the board you may want to have a regular copy as well in case you crave the base experience.

I'm halfway through the campaign, and I have to say I'm not really impressed. Yeah, every little thing that gets added sets a unique, distinct path that modifies the board state, changes objectives, adds perks or disadvantages, that makes each campaign impossible to duplicate... but in the end it is a matter of playing the same game in 12 variations and different levels of aggravation. I don't see my group completing the campaign, we're losing interest already.

Can you mix those games and play with more than 4 people? One friend has drizzt and another one has wrath of. Only problem i could see is seeing a difference between their cards if they want to split the games again. Not really hard just tedious.

>I'm halfway through the campaign, and I have to say I'm not really impressed. Yeah, every little thing that gets added sets a unique, distinct path that modifies the board state, changes objectives, adds perks or disadvantages, that makes each campaign impossible to duplicate... but in the end it is a matter of playing the same game in 12 variations and different levels of aggravation. I don't see my group completing the campaign, we're losing interest already.
I heard either here or from that YT Hobbit famous for hating Cry Havoc that Risk is better, not because the game is better, but because the permanent changes are the result of player agency rather than Pandemic Legacy's almost fixed schedule of changes.

I own it and have owned it for a while, but unfortunately I still haven't had the chance to play it with the right group of people, sorry user

A lot of fun, cleaned up some of the issues with Decent! Likes others have said, if you like Star Wars it makes it that much better, of course.

if you don't mind that it's OOP and still at a somewhat reasonable secondary market price apart from one set, look into Nightfall which is a deckbuilder with heavy player interaction, much more brutal than Dominion. I've had a lot of fun 3 player games with that