/tgesg/ - Weekend Elder Scrolls Lore General

>Tabletop/P&P RPGs
[UESRPG - P&P RPG] docs.google.com/document/d/1pTgTN2aJUoY95JtquowagfUJLL7tCQYhzJKcCAcbvio/edit?usp=sharing
[Scrollhammer - Tabletop Wargame] 1d4chan.org/wiki/Scrollhammer_2nd_Edition
Discussion in #Scrollhammer (irc.thisisnotatrueending.com (port 6667))

>Lore Resources
[The Imperial Library] imperial-library.info/
[/r/teslore] reddit.com/r/teslore/
[UESP/Lore] uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page
[Pocket Guide to the Lore] docs.google.com/document/d/1AtsWXZKVqB4Q825_SwINY6z4_9NaGknXgeOknOCDuCU/edit
[Elder Lore Podcast] elderlore.wordpress.com/
[How to Become a Lore Buff] forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1112211-how-to-become-a-lore-buff/

>General Rules
This is NOT /tesg/ minus waifus, so behave properly.
Keep the squabbling to a minimum.
No waifus/husbandos except for Vehk and Vehk

Previous kalpa:

Other urls found in this thread:

uesp.net/wiki/Lore:The_Fall_of_the_Usurper
uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Special_Flora_of_Tamriel
uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:The_Faerie
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Do we have some good lore on alchemy and plants?

I recall Daggerfall having a book on obscure plants and their cultural significance/alchemical use, a few guide books, and we can infer that plants harvested in diffent regions, even if they are apparently the same, can have their properties altered by climate based on things like Trauma Root having radically diffrent properties on Vvardenfell than Solsthime.

Aside from that, there's a few things in Nirnroot specifically and a theory on it's sudden abundance which names the ashfall from Red Mountain as a key component in the once hyper-rare plant becoming common.

We have a huge missed opportunity in the case of Nirnroots. I find that the nuanced fluff of ES is just one giant missed opportunity. Thank god for obscure texts, forum posts and fanfiction.

>tfw alchemy will never be more than potion/poison manufacturing skill

Ignoring

>Massive province full of people due to jungle environment and rice based economy

Is there anything Oblivion got wrong about Cyrodiil that isn't minor unreliable narrator type stuff?

There's not much of a significant distinction between the rigid militant Colovians, the cosmopolitan Heartlanders, and the traditional mystic Nibenese. "Imperial" is a broad term for the post-Nedic race that inhabits Cyrodiil, not an ethnic identity. It's like saying all Dunmer are Telvanni mage-lords or all Bretons are Reachmen.

Also muh River-Guard.

Do you know the name of that Daggerfall books?
And where does the 'different properties based on climate' come from? It just seems to me like a difference in game mechanics and potion effects between Morrowind and Skyrim, unless it's actually mentioned in dialogue or a book.

>tfw alchemy will never be more than potion/poison manufacturing skill
What more could it be?

Special Flora of Tamriel, by Hardin.

There's a revised version in Morrowind, and the original is in the Books, Books, Books mod for Skyrim also.

>Dragon's Tongue is found in Skyrim, not in a swamp environment but among geysers
>Ironwood Nuts are absent
>Nightshade doesn't have 'fortify sneak' as a possible effect
Do Bethesda employees even read their own books?

>implying they even care
Why bother with coding in lore-friendly Skyrim's breeds of lycantropes and vampires? Modern gamers will buy this shit anyway.

I AM SO FUCKING PISSED ABOUT WEREWOLVES INSTEAD OF WEREBEARS THOUGH. I mean, just different models, sounds, and animations. Same production costs. BUT NOOOOOOO

>Volkihar were described as cool ass ice vampires dwelling under frozen lakes
>in Skyrim they're generic caslevania fuckers with Touhou EoSD plot thrown in

They had a whole bunch of cool shit made up for the GameJam event in 2012, but they just didn't do anything with a lot of it.
>no spears
>no seasons
>no fast flowing water
>no swinging platforms
>no mudcrab god

>they added Werebears
>there's one place where they spawn guaranteed and besides that they're a very rare encounter
>you can't become one
what a waste of resources to make them at all

>no mudcrab god
Skar Jr.?

I honestly feel that the game jam was made up of ideas more then fully fleshed out mechanics.

Seasons in particular was probably just one area that they gave four sets of decorations and swapped between them for the video.

the distiction between Colovians and the Nibenese aren't well touched upon in Oblivion. Though, this seems to be true since "Imperials" were made to a race in Morrowind other than the Colovian Fur Helmet. The more traditional of the Nibenese could've retained more of the Akaviri culture they've integrated since the second era and Colovians could've been closer to the Nords though in the same sense as the Rus people are related to Scandinavians in a way.

Also, the architecture of Cheydinhal looks like it came straight out of High Rock despite the lore behind it stating it had some strong Dunmer/Nord influence to it.

What do we know about emperor crabs besides the one we've seen in Ald'Ruhn?

Does ESO have any emperor crab skeletons? They're pretty good for housing. I can imagine them being pretty useful shelter in the swamps of Argonia or the deserts of Elsweyr.

The Daggerfall Companion has some stuff.

got anything for me to doodle for a while /tgesg/?

Mother Azura is scolding the children Tribunal, while Voryn Dagoth looks over the window, crying.

ESO loremaster raping an ashlander.

A small shack. Can be in any environment.

A Buoyant Armiger doing something sneaky and cool

>What more could it be?
Esoteric.

Why is it everyone constantly talks about the disapperance of the Dwemer like it's a mystery? I see comments/videos/posts constantly talking about 'the mystery of the dwemer' but we know pretty much what happened to them? Is there something I'm missing?

WE know, as in a bunch of neckbeards on a mongolian knitting forum.

In game, it is a mystery. Sven Meadface from Whiterun doesn't know what happened to the Dwemer.

Outright transmutation via alchemical catalysts, changing metals and other materials, things like that. Creating materials that cannot otherwise be obtained. Soulgems, for instance, though i forget where they conventionally come from

Creating homonculi, golems, artificial creatures or beings

Dyes for gear

Material components to enhance or create spells, or for rituals

Skyrim shacks are comfy as fuck

There's a difference between what's a mystery in the setting and what's a mystery to us.
Some in the setting know, like R'leyt-harhr, but most have no idea.

>A sigil stone is a specimen of pre-Mythic quasi-crystalline morpholith that has been transformed into an extra-dimensional artifact through the arcane inscription of a daedric sigil. Though some common morpholiths like soul gems may be found in nature, the exotic morpholiths used to make sigil stones occur only in pocket voids of Oblivion, and cannot be prospected or harvested without daedric assistance.

Also we already have Alteration for transmutation. But yes, I agree, Alchemy is pretty bastardized compared to its RL counterpart.

Comfy.

Everything about Dawnguards vampire story was insipid. They should have just focused on rediscovering the last remnants of the Snow Elves.

>badass group of vampire hunters get no focus
>focus instead on shitty waifu with cavernous vagina from molag bals spiky daedick

>They should have just focused on rediscovering the last remnants of the Snow Elves.
They would royally fuck up this too.

They simply don't know.

i kinda want to draw tiny tribunal just cause

>no magic ice vampires
>no mention of other clans
>no explination for why no-one, including the Thalmor who built a fort that serves as an elven gulag right off the coast of the island Castle Volkreeeee is on, has ever noticed the GIANT FUCKING CASTLE in the Sea of Ghosts
>Special Super Vampire Armor is just the shitty robes you get off mages with a slight reskin and a bit of protection that is compleatly useless by the time you get to the Dawnguard content unless you just ignore everything and sprint straight into the Rift, probably dying several dozen times in the process
>There is a portal to the Soul Cairn just sitting there because the plot requires it. Don't worry about things like opening gates to the normal Oblivion realms, let alone a fucked up demi-plane of entropy, is almost impossible. Clearly the MILF Vamp just wanted it harder than all the other people who try to open gateways.
>New Werewolf content is just a skill line menu which requires grinding forever to advance on
>THE LAST LIVING FALMER ARE BARELY A FUCKING FOOTNOTE WHAT THE FUCK

If I didn't need it to get mods to work right, I honestly wouldn't have wasted the money on Dawnguard.

Tell me about the Bretons.

If crossbreeding has the child the same race as the mother but with some of the father's traits, how can they be considered half elven?

How much do Bretons tolerate orcs? They keep attacking Orsinium but a lore book mentioned a Breton lord kept an orc named Tunner as part of his household and there was no problem with another Breton learning from the orc.

How did the conflict with Redguards and Bretons begin? What about Bretons and Nords?

Was Talos a Breton?

Have there ever been Breton Emperors or Empresses?

Why are Reachmen considered Bretons by some people but aren't by High Rock Bretons?

>If crossbreeding has the child the same race as the mother but with some of the father's traits, how can they be considered half elven?
IIRC, it was a huge multi-generational eugenics project propagated by the Dirinni (I spelled that wrong) and the result was a gene pool saturated with so much vestigial elven influence that it sort of fucked up the natural order in terms of crossbreeding

>How much do Bretons tolerate orcs?
Depends on who you're talking to, but mostly they tolerate them as much as they have to. Not nearly as aggressive as the Dunmer or Nords in terms of their dislike for other races.

>How did the conflict with Redguards and Bretons begin? What about Bretons and Nords?
When the Redguards showed up in the Warrior Wave when Yokunda sunk, the RIP AND TEAR'd their way across Midwestern Tamirel, beating their way through, among other things, Ayylamos, Nedics, Bretons, and Orcs. Nords raped and pillaged their way to Atmora and back several times according to Frontier, Conquest, and the Reachmen, who are racially Bretons, have not had a very good time dealing with the aformentioned raping and or pillaging.

>Was Talos a Breton?
Yes but also no. Manteling is complicated.

>ave there ever been Breton Emperors or Empresses?
The Longhouse Emperors were Reachmen, who, racially if not quite culturally, are Bretons. They were not very nice people.

>Why are Reachmen considered Bretons by some people but aren't by High Rock Bretons?
Reachmen have a drastically different culture than most non-tribal Bretons.

Anything I got wrong, someone please correct me.

>If crossbreeding has the child the same race as the mother but with some of the father's traits, how can they be considered half elven?
Generations of crossbreeding.
Obviously, Orcs are considered subhuman barbarians, but their strengths, for example in metallurgy, are still recongized.
>Was Talos a Breton?
Yes and no.
>How did the conflict with Redguards and Bretons begin?
Ra'Gada invasion.
>What about Bretons and Nords?
First Empire of the Nords' subjugation of High Rock.
>Have there ever been Breton Emperors or Empresses?
>The secondary reason for the lethargy of High Rock had to do with the depth of relations between the province and the Septim Empire. For the first time since the beginning of the Dynasty, an Emperor ruled Tamriel who was neither Breton nor had spent any of his childhood in High Rock. The difference between Cephorus II and his cousin Uriel IV who preceded him was appalling to the people of High Rock. Even mad Emperors like Pelagius III revered the Bretons over all other races, and cousins and younger siblings of the Emperors have ruled in High Rock since the foundation of the Empire. Cephorus was a Nord, with Skyrim and Morrowind sympathies.
uesp.net/wiki/Lore:The_Fall_of_the_Usurper
>Why are Reachmen considered Bretons by some people but aren't by High Rock Bretons?
They are mongrels even by Breton standards.

>Longhouse Emperors
More of this ESO nonsense.

Is that a Falmer?

Did you just draw that? I like it.

I like how you think. Some of those ideas step on the toes of other magic schools (Enchanting, Alteration, Conjuration) but it would definitely be cool if Alchemy would do more than just craft potions.

Do you actually want more ESO fluff or do you mean that in a condescending way, 'ESO again with the bullshit'?

I never took a good look at that thing on the left. What do you think it is /tgesg/?

mandatory
>tfw Adam died
before anyone else does it

The latter.

Looks like it's the same type of thing as the one in the center on the left side of the bridge. The vertical slit looks like it could be an arrowslit, but the things themselves are way too narrow for this.
Maybe just some astronomy-related structure, with sunlight passing through the hole pointing to a certain location.

Saint Veloth. Possibly.

your first question pretty much answered your last one. Reachmen are Reachmen because they are of Breton decent mixed with some other races siuch as Norda for example ,thus not exactly Bretons. Bretons are still considered half-elf because their ancestors had elven fathers bred with human mothers but due to how genetics works in TES, the child would take from their mothers first before their father for their traits. Plus, Reachmen never even consider themselves Bretons in the first place
They tolerate Orcs as much as anybody would and it varies from whom to whom. They're not a collective so, that one guy who got an Orc to live in his houshold and those who fuck up Orsinium a bazillion times have different levels of tolerance

The Ra'Gada invasion happened after the Redguards at the time fucked up Yokuda sideways by literally splitting an atom with a sword and the navies who first set afoot in Tamriel were the warriors who wanted to "make way" for the royal families to settle in after. The fighting between the native Bretons ensued long until the latter managed to finally kick their shit in. The Redguards value strong opponents so, they had their respect from then on. As for the Nords, it's the usual politics and the wars with the Reachmen if you consider them Bretons as well. Otherwise, they get along well

Talos being a Breton is pretty complicated. You could say he was before the Mantling happened but then again, it's compicated.

Bretons have been, in fact, a large part of the Septim Dynasty as many Emperors have been Breton. Pelagius III was one of those Breton emperors apparently.

uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Special_Flora_of_Tamriel

Speaking of Morrowind, how vital is efficient levelling (I.e. level up endurance first, get 10 levels of major or minor and 20 level of misc each level) to it? Is it something that is just entirely unnecessary or does it make the game that much easier?

You'll be very powerful by the end of the game no matter what your build is, for the most part.

Thanks. I'm not sure there's a problem with an overlap - and even then, if there is an overlap at all. Presumably the representation of these concepts through Alchemy would be more scientifically based, as opposed to magical. Given, everything in TES is magical to some degree, but isn't there room for comparatively mundane versions of these things?

I am not advocating for functionally identical game mechanics or anything like that; ideally the overlap would be in concept only, though some similarities, or even mundane methods to duplicate magical results, could be quite interesting in the correct context.

All the same, I recognize that the draw of TES is its mystery, and the magic therein; I would suggest, of course, that these Alchemic means still be somewhat obscure and arcane in their representation to the player.

It depends, generally they do not tolerate them, though cities on the coast will be more cosmopolitan. The case with Tanner was also abnormal, seeing as the Lord HAD to learn Orcish fighting.

Orsimeri-Breton relations were not very good at that time. They seemed to be good-ish for a while following the Warp in the West, especially in regards to Wayrest.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's Veloth.

That's some dedication there.

Just need that Almalexia to hold a bowl with little triangles of cheese, now.

what is it with russians and morrowind?

Russian TES fans are the best.
I wish there was more overlap between the English-speaking community and the Russian community.
I want to know what they talk about, and if they've developed a different view of lore than we have.

Slavs seem to excel at cosplay and LARPs.

There's a big French lore community too. They have their own website that has a ton of the more obscure texts compiled that you can't easily find anywhere else.

Just found out he died only last night while searching for TES art.

This pic is so comfy to me for some reason.

I think it's a candle slit. Like a lamppost.
Unidirectional because temple structures are weird like that.

>Unidirectional because temple structures are weird like that.
Maybe for signaling to other such towers in chain?

It's more important if you plan to play a mage, doubly so an Altmer, because if you aren't careful you can wind up very squishy and then you're one reflected spell away from instant death. Otherwise, you can usually just potion your way through anything that isn't getting one-shotted by somebody with an orcish warhammer.

Personally I just use GCD instead. It makes attributes improve organically as you level your skills, in addition to removing stat caps, although leveling speed tapers off sharply at high skill levels, especially for minor and misc skills, so you'll find you need to fill the bar two or three times to actually level a misc skill into the 60-70+ range.

I was thinking more like it's a tomb, so it's meant to guide you inside, not outside and away, but yours sounds more interesting.

Kind of small to be a signal fire. Unless it's signaling like a close village like "the deed is done".

Yeah, they have a site that's like TIL.
I'm sure there's some Asian lore communities as well, but I don't know anything about them. I just know there's the English community, the Russians, and the French (overlaps with the English-speaking community).

I just realized the setting I've been designing for the last month or so is basically Morrowind, stretched and shifted a bit.

You see, Morrowind has a lot of parallels with Russia.

Natives dislike all people that bear marks of other cultures, even if they were born that country.
Most of their country is barely fit for people to live there. Not that it stops them.
Other countries think that natives are angry and dangerous.
Everyone blames the Empire for their shitty lives.
Church has a LOT of political power.
Successful people mostly are thieves and murderers, especially in those ruling houses.

And, of course, general aesthetics. One moment you are in the middle of a glorious city full of scholars and magic, another moment you are in a shithole hamlet, surrounded by alcoholics and junkies.
Also, somewhat unrelated fact. Recently, there was a release of a russian Fate conversion for Morrowind. And it's just DRIPPING with essence of russian TES community. It's... quite a read.

>tfw there's a whole world of deep lore insight, headcanons and memes out of reach for anglophones

Now you understand how people of Nirn feel about dwemer.

"Ah, yes, an expedition was sent to uncover eras old vintage dwemer memes... dwememes, if you will... still haven't heard from them."

But the guy who learned orcish armor fighting wasn't the orc's master, it was the guys cousin who had the orc employed. And the Lord didn't even know he had an orc in his service until after the duel was announced.

dawww

I wonder if they've come to the same general conclusions as us on most things or if there's some prominent fan theory out there in Russian that makes them think about the lore completely differently.

I bet they have tons of sload fanfics that are community canon.

Trouble is, some languages actually miss out on lore significance because Tamrielic language is effectively english.

>when you view the wheel on its side, it becomes I
this idea, for example, only works in english because a sideways wheel represents a line, or the english letter I, which is also an english word representing the self.

I wanted an unmodded playthrough.

I mainly wanted an Orc Battlemage (I mentioned making this character before in tgesg I think) with the Atronach.

My idea was to rush to Balmora to make spells as fast as possible. Pick Conjuration as major skill for the Ancestor Ghost, and then use a spear bought from Arrile to grind Spear on the Ghost, re-summon the Ghost to get 10 Conjuration levels and then pick Endurance+Intelligence until I max out Endurance. Once it's maxed out, (and probably Conjuration will be maxed out too by then) I'll grind Strength with Axe and Agility with Shortblade. And I can always grind Willpower by making a 1 magicka Destruction/Mysticism Spell and spamming it.

Not sure how to grind Block and Heavy Armour though, or Armorer.

Also how useful is Destruction for damage? I heard Mysticism is just as good by using Absorb Health and you can also do stuff like teleport and whatnot with Mysticism.

>Block and Heavy Armour though, or Armorer.
Stand in shallow water. Find fishy. Check back every two minutes or so.

Well even in non English languages a single hatch mark is a good way to communicate one, which is singularity which can be easily understood as oneness = self, I.

It can work in non-English.

Is Tamrielic canonically English or is it its own language and the games are just presented to us in earth languages for obvious reasons?

I can't find a solid source on this, but how do half-Bosmer work? Are they still restricted by the Green Pact?

Yes, the latter.

If they chose to be. If they don't, they would likely be ostracized.

Nothing new here, but there's a guy on TIL who has done a ton of conlanging on Tamrielic languages. It's pretty neat, if you're into that sorta thing. Hrafnir's languages.

So if the green pact is what keeps bosmer in one shape, does that mean the weirder-looking bosmer with antlers and shit are the ones who have broken/begun neglecting the pact?

The Green Pact isn't what gives the Bosmer their shape.

Though it is how they show their reverence for it.

No, if you look at Morrowind concept art you'll see a note that male Bosmer are like fae without glamour to pretty them up.
It's just how they are.

>4E 202
>Not wanting to be double-teamed by Azura and Meridia

>Fae
The Fey was a female of some kind in Daggerfall, but that's all I know of.

Are there Fae in TES?

No, not really. There's Ehlnofey.

Bosmer are pretty damn fey

uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:The_Faerie

Forgot to add that the point of posting this book is not the classifications in it, but rather the listing of these races

The Fey is not actually in Daggerfall.

I know this might be the wrong crowd to ask this, but like how Oblivion got stuff wrong, what did Morrowind get wrong lore-wise?

Thank you all kindly.

Here's another question: What exactly are the practices and purpose of the Imperial Cult? As in, how does worship of the 9 Divines (Under proper Imperial Cult sanctioning) occur? Is it bargaining with the divine? All about self improvement? Pay the gods so nothing fucks up? Or what?

I was lazy then, but found the concept art mentioned

Interesting question I don't quite know the answer to.
I'd look for inconsistencies between Morrowind and PGE1.

Most of the things that had been established in Arena were succeeded by Daggerfall, and most of the inconsistencies between Daggerfall and Morrowind that I can think of are actually sort of resolved in Redguard.

Off the top of my head, Red Mountain is called Dagoth Ur in Arena (and possibly Daggerfall?), and I think the volcano itself is called Vvardenfell in Redguard. There's possibly also some inconsistencies between the pre-Morrowind dev roleplays and the actual game, especially on topics like lifespan.