MTG EDH/Commander General

Optimism Veiled By Madness Edition

Previous: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread Topic:
What's your favorite part about playing commander? What's your favorite part of playing magic in general?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/surrak-smash-2/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/snek-stax/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/many-birds-with-arms/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-great-cycle-v30/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kari-zev/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/breyas-tresure-chest/
decks.deckedbuilder.com/d/264795
decks.deckedbuilder.com/d/264289
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

how much does this suck? suggestions?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/surrak-smash-2/

>What's your favorite part about playing commander?
I love feeling like some sort of powerful mage. Unlike other formats, you really feel like some sort of crazy magical being capable of summoning all sorts of crazy nonsense from your library.

>What's your favorite part of playing magic in general?
Big numbers. I love getting big numbers and creating interesting interactions that generate tremendous value.

I'll take a look in a second, I just have to finish sleeving some things and I'll give you feedback.

Well, sleeving went faster than I thought.

How do you plan on winning?

In terms of immediate feedback, you're playing green. There's all sorts of fun things like Harrow, and Explosive Vegetation, which are better than Farhaven Elf or some of those mana-fixing things like rattleclaw mystic. Bird's of Paradise is a no-brainer in this type of deck.

I personally don't like Skullwinder, because it really helps out certain decks your opponents might run. Mindshrieker seems like it's in the wrong deck, and would be better suited for Maelstrom Wanderer if you want to do top deck manipulation. Hua-Tuo is kind of niche.

Overall, your deck seems to be pulling in two different directions:

>1) You have a lot of flicker-type things and top deck manipulation, but you aren't running most of the staples, and it seems like you aren't going balls deep into the strategy. I personally built a Maelstrom Wanderer deck all about top deck manipulation and it was fantastic, but I'm not sure how Surrak would do with that strategy.

>2) You have this weird recursion subtheme that seems more... BUG or Abzan than it does Temur. It could work, but you aren't really running enough ramp to justify doubling down with things. Red has a ton of good looting effects that can enable this sort of strategy if that's really what you want to do.

Overall? 6/10. I'd be fine for a powered down meta, but you're going to run into some problems. Pick flicker, top deck manipulation, or recursion, then go balls out building it. Surrak seems like Xenagos' best friend because he enables trample. I'd personally throw in as many double strike/damage doubling things, and just straight up smash people with fuck huge monsters. If you go the flicker route, +1/+1 counter synergy might be nice, and if you go the recursion route, go for giant stupid creatures.

i like two very different things:

1. smashing some really hard with a hasted creature

2. using weird johnny shenanigans to deal with threats. like an opponent puts out a really troublesome board state and i just go "oh my god how am i going to deal with this shit" and then after 5 minutes of weird johnny bullshit i've somehow killed his entire board, revived all my creatures and have a grave betrayal out

i was going for a mainly timmy approach, the flickering was for recurring cards from the yard if spot removal or sweeps happened. just wanted to try and go fast and turn left with big guys.

>just wanted to try and go fast and turn left with big guys.
I can help you there, I love turning things left!

What I'd do is:

>No more than 35 creatures MAX. Any more and you're gimping yourself, unless you have a way to lock down your opponents.
>I'd personally recommend Xenagos and friends. This includes double strike enablers, Xanthid Swarm, Kalonian Hydra, Heroes Bane, maybe Malignus. Think anything big that gets bigger and is above curve.
>10 SOLID ramp cards. Harrow, far wanderings, explosive vegetation, rampant growth, sword of the animist, worn powerstone/thran dynamo, gilded lotus, sakura tribe eldar, those kind of things. The hierarchy goes: Lands onto the battlefield > good rocks that tap for multiple mana > lands onto the battlefield tapped > cheap dorks/effiecent dorks > mana fixing rocks > > > > normal dorks.
>Get all the blue cantrips you can. Serum Visions, Ponder, Preordain, Brainstorm. You can also throw in Faithless Looting, Tormenting Voice, and Cathartic Reunion.
>Counterspells. You're running blue, you might as well throw in a few more. I personally like Daze and Spiketail Hatchling, but the usual suspects are fine here.

Try to focus your game plan on mana fixing/ramping into Surrak for the first few turns, then dropping some world-ending bombs immediately after. Elvish Piper is good to enable these kind of things, and Dragon Arch can help you get around complicated devotion if you want to run that stuff. Remember: bait out the removal. Play something slightly shittier to draw some removal, then lay down the law with your fuck-off beaters.

Almost forgot, put feldon of the third path in there. He's super fucking spicy 99% of the time. Giant Adephage is a big fuck-off creature that actually gets better in the yard if you have feldon out. I like Arcanis, The Omnipotent for efficient card draw, and Garruk Wildspeaker is a game winner.

>making a dimir recur deck with sac shenanigans
>keep looking over to green
>lmao protean hulk
>lmao birthing pod
>lmao woodland bellower, lmao archetype of endurance
>lmao evolutionary leap, lmao fauna shaman, lmao a billion fucking insanely strong ETBs like terastodon, avenger of zendikar, bane of progress, etc.

i would really prefer to not splash green and instead have my deck be somewhat unique as a dimir deck, but god damn golgari synergies are insane

>turn left
Tap to the right, you disgusting swine

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/snek-stax/

Wanted to build something to take advantage of the green stax type cards that usually don't see any play. Settled on Patron of the Orochi for massive mana and repeat activated abilities, along with Enchantresses to take advantage of the number of enchantments and token producers and Helix Pinacle to dump the mana into. I do want to find a slot for Cryptolith Rite, and feel like I'm not getting full advantage out of cards like Sasaya and Burgeoning with the land count being so low, and the low land count might be an issue in and of itself. I also want to find a slot for Freyalise, Llanowar's Fury but didn't have one when I was putting the deck together. Also yes I know all the tokens would make Craterhoof a great win con, and if I had one it'd be in there. Until then ulting Nature's Artisian will have to do.

So, any suggestions? Anybody else ever try to build mono green stax with any success?

I've just settled on a list for this new edh project I'm working on for the wife. She likes birds so here we go. tappedout.net/mtg-decks/many-birds-with-arms/
I play omnath locus of Rage and sygg river cutthroat. Friend A, stupidly competitive maelstrom wanderer and stupid competitive Zur (we let him get away with it because we have little CMDR players that are fun to play with. He's fun his decks arent) and friend B is oloro and friend c is flip Chandra. That's mainly the meta we play and the occasional rando shows up from time to time. Any suggestions? I will be un douching the mana base soon so for now mostly ignore it.

hulk is very banned

is pic related you, user? and ive got a few of those around, ill see what i can dig up should i give up on the deadeye and temur sabertooth? and i feel i should cut fires of yavimaya, as ogre and ascendancy seem to be enough

feels unnatural to tap right. i dont think anyone i know taps right desu

well good. it seemed stupid anyway.

still kinda salty i can't tutor for archetype of endurance in dimir. maybe i'd be inclined to build sultai if all the commanders weren't lame. i once saw someone playing a sultai deck that dealt a lot with saccing and recurring stuff, and that guy was running leovold with 0 build-around and it was still obnoxious to play against that commander

>is pic related you, user?
Actually, it is. That's hilarious, I didn't think anyone would remember my gigantic rants. You just made my day user.

I think you should give up on the flicker stuff, personally. It's less Timmy, more Johnny, and UW/Bant tend to do it a little bit better than Temur. BUT, that being said, there are spicy things you can flicker like Emrakul's Hatcher and Avenger of Zendikar if that's really what your heart desires.

I think you're on the right track with fires of yavimaya, and I personally run it in my Uril deck, but your mileage may vary. What I'd cut would be basically all the flicker/top deck things. Diluvian Primordial, Deadwood Treefolk, Deadeye Navigator, Archaeomancer, Essence Warden, Ezuri, Claw of Progress though he is really cool in a token deck, don't get me wrong, Mindshrieker, Skullwinder, and Trygon Predator.

Wall of Roots is kind of... meh. I like wall of blossoms or vine trellis a little better. If you even out your ramp package, you can probably cut 3 lands and run primarily basics, but I"m also a bit of a risk taker when it comes to that stuff.

>The recently developed tutors are mostly trash or extremely niche.
I don't disagree with that but we were on the topic of REprinting an old card (Imperial Seal) and seeing powerful stuff like vampiric tutor, enlightened tutor and the general power of the cards in eternal masters there is at least a slight possibility.
What worries me and keeps my hopes for a reprint low is that p3k was a very special set for the asian market.

ok here's the real reason they won't reprint imperial seal

there's no reason to. no really one cares about the card except collectors. there are better tutors for cheaper. reprinting imperial seal (outside of some very, very limited print) would do nothing but piss off a few mentally ill card collectors, possibly driving them to firebomb WotC offices.

Is everyone here dumb? They did reprint imperial seal. It lowered the price by 80%.that's insane. It's essentially what happened with berserk.

after i saw your posts screencapped in that thread, i saved it to try and build decks according to that outline. i am unsure how accurate i followed it in my meren deck, but while i work on surrak, maybe check my meren? i would appreciate it tremendously, ive had issues getting her to run smoothly.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-great-cycle-v30/

Sure user, I have to do the dishes real quick, but I'll take a peak as soon as I'm done. I've actually built Meren, and recently rebuilt Meren, so I may have some nifty things for you.

There is a judge's promo I think but it ~$200 while the real one is ~$500.

Also Imperial Seal is just Vampiric Tutor with different art, if they reprinted it now it would just let Black splashed decks have a redundant tutor in EDH.

At least with its current price it isn't seen all over the place.

It's actually worse since its a sorcery

How much card draw does Azami count as? Should I pack my deck with wizards if it all relies on her?

Oh yeah, good point. Overlooked that.

I don't consider a judge promo a real reprint

farhaven/wood elves are both great, having a body is so useful I feel you can't just say sorcery ramp is falt out better

Yes and no. Depends on many factors, but mostly that he's not running Harrow, Primal Growth, or Explosive Vegetation. 2 basics is always better than one, regardless of body. Now, you might have an argument for it being better than rampant growth, but depends on your meta more than anything.

>Should I pack my deck with wizards if it all relies on her?

What is Tribal Wizard Combo for 500, Alex?

Azami is just a giant pile of wizards and counterspells.

Damia is pretty good. Ensures you a full hand.

>answered a question with a question
>picked the value after the question is already asked and as part of the answer
THIS IS NOT HOW JEOPARDY WORKS. You answer the statement question in the form of a question answer. For example:

>"Uhhh, I'll take EDH for 500 Alex?"
>This commander is known for being used exclusively by people with cargo shorts, modern warfare 3 shirts, and greasy black hair.
>"What is Kallia?"
>Correct, we would have also accepted Oloro or Derevi.

kaalia did nothing wrong

Omniscience + Enter the Infinite is the classic

Mind Over Matter is probably her most iconic card

Easy to include the Bassalt Monolith and Rings of Brighthearth Combo, plenty of Wizards have good activated abilities. Pour the mana into Draw X spells.

Diviner's Wand for e-z commander damage if you pop off.

Sigil Tracer is a pretty good meme

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kari-zev/

This looks bad but she's got cute art what am I supposed to do?

Playing around answers is my favorite thing in magic and in commander. In EDH it's a lot harder in tougher playgroups because the amount of cards that you have to account for becomes overwhelming at times.

also post em

As a part of the 99 I mean

don't run her in the 99, you need like 15+ wizards to make it work

I have a lot of etb wizards who could count for draw with her, should I switch her for Divination?

How about we post them in the less autistic way instead?

probably not divination but some other card draw spell.
haha no, embrace the autism

I'll put Blue Sun's Zenith back in there

kaalia is based compared to derevi or oloro. at least kaalia players just want to smash people with cool creatures, all oloro and derevi players want to do is solitaire and blue degeneracy

You dont like Tasigur?

>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-great-cycle-v30/
I know exactly what the problem is. Too many 4/5 drops with complicated devotion. I personally own both Necropotence and Grave Pact, but I almost never include them because BBB devotion is really hard to get in a reasonable fashion without exceptional manafixing. When building a deck, I go out of my way to simplify the devotion I need to play things, so I don't get stuck with stupid dead draws.

I'd actually give you the same advice I did with the Surrak deck. Throw in more basic land ramp. This will both help even out your curve and facilitate your bigger things, while giving you early turn plays. With Meren decks, I tend to go small, rather than big. All your reanimator is expensive, which reduces the spice of early-turn plays, but you don't have anything that will actually hit the yard quickly, so it's pretty much only late game that you'll use it.

Remember, Meren is a reanimation engine on her own that's always accessible from the command zone AND never loses experience counters. You can build a Meren deck without any reanimator that will still reanimate things very effectively. I'd only use cheap reanimator, like Necromancy, Animate Dead, Victimize and the like, though Living Death is pretty neat, because you don't really need to reanimate anything. I've built many MANY reanimator decks, and I find just by including things like that, I tend to want to make elaborate combo decks that are janky outside of magical christmasland.

What I recommend is build a combat focused GB deck with a few things to protect Meren, but otherwise completely ignore that she exists. Focus on making a really grindy deck, maybe with a splash of removal, and use Meren as a value engine to make your deck better. Overrun effects, token producers like awakening zone/from beyond, ophiomancer, and the like are awesome. Also, run Filth and Crypt Ghast if you're planning on running Urborg. Just make sure you can blow it up.

>t. Butthurt Kaalia players
Come on, you must be really new to magic if you've never encountered "that guy" who plays kaalia, and talks about how completely unbeatable his unsleeved deck is. Sometimes they have two really shitty plastic boxes that hold their deck, othertimes the smell of body odor and nonsense is overwhelming.

The best part? Kaalia players are universally terrible. Their deck is the antithesis to good deckbuilding theory, and they always cry after eating removal every single time they cast their bullshit commander. Either they win instantly, or never win at all.

I give Derevi a sword and send her in

I've never had a Kaalia player in my meta. I feel they've been hated out.

i didn't say kaalia players are good, i just say they look good compared to derevi and oloro. derevi and oloro players are on an entirely new level of autism compared to kaalia players

As they should have been. It's one of those local game store phenomenons that was much more popular a few years ago when Kaalia was more accessible.

It's the same thing as Atraxa players, or Meren players, but the focus on angels demons and dragons tends to attract the biggest edgelords known to man.

user, all those players look the same, the difference is, Oloro and Derevi can actually make good decks. They also don't come with the inherent MLGpro edgelordiness that can only come with someone who doesn't understand how magic works, but insists on making something they think is unbeatable.

Now, if you want REAL autism, look no further than those extremely janky Ghave/Darietti decks with obscenely complicated combos. It takes a very special kind of person to sit there for 10 minutes and decide whether or not their convoluted combo will actually do anything other than tap down their mana.

kaalia can make balanced and nice deck, you just need to not go full retard with kaalia herself. loot big fatties into the graveyard with red's looters, reanimate them with cauldron dance and so on. use kaalia as just another way to cheat fatties into play.

it's not a "le lockout by turn 3" like derevi or "tutor for combos while i sit in my esper fun castle xD" but it can make for a fun and interesting deck if you don't go full retard with kaalia build around

Where were you when UR artificer faggots got blown the fuck out by WotC?

Getting BTFO

>Semantics
Like I said, I understand you probably play Kaalia, but I'm just making a joke about the general appearance of Kaalia players at local game stores across the world. Just wait user, someone will post the Kaalia starterpack image and go from there.

Any commander can be fun or interesting, few commanders are consistently fun and interesting. Kaalia is just synonymous with someone who spent a lot of money to build a finicky pile of garbage, but talks about it like they're some 1337h4xZ0R and everyone else is stupid for not playing a general that shits out fatties.

Enjoying the show

well i haven't seen it happen myself so idk

So I think I#m on the verge of finishing my Breya deck for now. I just need to find a place to fit in Phyrexian Metamorph and I think i'm good.
Any thoughts or suggestions?

here's the list btw
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/breyas-tresure-chest/

Just look at EDHrec.

Of the signature cards, 13 of 14 are 5+ CMC, and the vast majority of recommended creatures are both fuckhuge and impractical.

>have a friend who used to play Oloro
>mfw he doesn't wear cargo shorts or MW3 shirts anymore
>mfw he also doesn't play Oloro anymore either
you might be onto something here

Goddammit, if Tamanoa were legendary I would have already built that deck. What a crock of shit that it's not.

I've never run into a group that doesnt let me run it. None of the Naya Legendaries seemed interesting to me.

This poster has serious mental problems

>Still no Energy based commander

What's my best option then? Atraxa?

>jori en players drops commander
>game goes from having fun to stopping everything that player does
Who else has a person in their group like this?

So I am trying to make some of the new four colour guys into retarded theme decks to play with a bunch of nooblets. I have decided to do Yidris as the leader of a gang of bandits. I am going to try and keep everything bandit themed. Rogues, stealing effects, discard effects, things of the "we took your shit and burned your house" flavor. It wont be hard to get my fill of creatures, but what cool instants, sorceries, and enchantments might be out there that would be bandit themed?

So I am making a Hope of Ghirapur deck or at lest trying to before the set launches, anyone have suggestions to what I already have so far?

>decks.deckedbuilder.com/d/264795
I am adding Scrap Trawler as well.

I tried avoiding Eldrazi and Stax effects, but I feel if I do the deck won't live up to it's potential.

how does it win? modular onto the hope for an alpha strike?

Breaking/Entering is cool because not only can you steal creatures from any graveyard, but because of how split cards work with cascade, you can cast the 6 CMC side as long as the spell you use to cascade can cast the 2 CMC half.

*even if it costs less than 6.

i will definitely fix that later, thank you. im still working on surrak but i will screencap so that i can refer to your suggestions

How's that Fumiko deck?

I am and I've been told that I am that person.

Best be running pic related.

As of right now it is Voltron using automatic equipments.
I can do Disk/Laticce/Forge like all other artifacts decks.

I am leaning towards Eldrazi as the finisher, just trying to explore other options.

Incorrect, she is a plague.

The real victem here is Iona who LITERALLY did nothing wrong and, because of Kaaliafags, catches all the unwarranted hate.

No problem user, I'm just glad someone wants my lengthy advice. I have literally no life, so feel free to ask any questions that come to mind.

Surprisingly resiliant. You can even do turns where you just draw pass and let your opponents continue to lose life when they swing at each other.

I am looking to make some tweaks to my Surrak deck, and would like some help.

>decks.deckedbuilder.com/d/264289

I am considering the following.
>Stonehoof Chieftan
>Rishkar's Expertise
>Primeval Protector
>Soul of New Phyrexia
>Disallow (Replaced trickbind)

The fun interactions because the format's a bit slower and usually multiplayer. Other than that I enjoy it as a relaxed, fun way to burn time with friends

>What's your favorite part of playing magic in general?
About the same as above.

Question to the thread:
Do you think people would hate me for playing a Skysovereign, Consul Flagship as a commander? I personally feel it's the same as using a planeswalker or the dagger from innistrad that flips into a demon, in that I've seen way more degenerate decks and I'd love to see something fun built around it, but I'm worried other people might disagree.

I might just build a deck around that new thopter legendary and swap it in if people let me.

Very nice, and it fits the theme! thanks!

Not him, but I was wondering if you could help me make a few cuts to my Rashmi list and find some spots for a few cards. Here's my list:
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/04-01-17-rashmi-control/

Looking to add mystic speculation, Oracle of Mul Daya, and Forbid.

Posting 'em.
I happen to be a Mr. Suitcase (and I'm shooting for a minimum of 15 decks- I have 13 right now but three of them don't count to my goal), so you'll have to excuse the gigantic image.
I'd love to do this, but I haven't had a steady group in at least four months now and Commander now just sort of occasionally happens at FNM now. That, and actually getting a list of people's decks would be difficult, since most people around me either have too many or none at all, barring a couple people who have one or two main decks

>Skysovereign, Consul Flagship
Eh, I think it's pushing it. I mean, the boat is awesome, don't get me wrong, but a 5 colourless 6/5 that burns 3 when it attacks is pretty degenerate. The crew cost is negligible, really, and I thi-

>creature or planeswalker
It's fine. Worst comes to worst someone's mad you blew up their planeswalker.

I don't think I would care personally. Its just a colorless inferno titan that can target only 1 thing at a time, and can fuck with walkers. If anything I think it would be an interesting threat for the superfriends decks to worry about. Also theres some nice vehicle support coming out soon, so now is probably the best time to make it.

I'd love to see it. Then again, I tend to be okay with anything short of Un-cards (once played a guy using Soulfire Grand Master as the commander- that effect on a legend fucking when.)

>It's fine. Worst comes to worst someone's mad you blew up their planeswalker.
Right?
I'm not building it for power(though I won't gimp it either), I just really want to have a big boat as a commander.

pretty much. I impulse-bought one of those mystery-box things because they were on clearance at a walmart for 15$(last one)
Popped sovereign and an archangel avacyn which is nice, and some other not expensive but decent rares.

I'd be OK with a Skysoverin deck.

Also, does anyone have any protips for RG Wort?

Oh, as soon as Aether Revolt comes out I'm buying a copy of every vehicle and throwing it into a Bosh Pacific Rim deck. It looks like this set has some cool robots too, so I can do this whole "robot throwing robots that were piloting giant boats, that were then throw by the first robot" thing which just warms my heart.

How do you pick out a commander and/or deck concept?
I'm looking for something to build but I can't seem to find any I like enough to try putting together a list for

Maybe you're not really into magic

Sure, I'll take a look, just give me a second to beat this boss in Dark Souls 3. Goddamned Aldrich, you were so stupid to fight and now there's this fancy dancing nonsense without a bonfire..

Just start with your favorite legend, whether it's a mechanical preference or it's your waifu

What are your favorite colors?
What's your favorite strategy?
What cards do you own?
What legendary creature do you find most sexually appealing?

Maybe I'm not anymore, that'd be a sad thought
I used to be able to come up with stuff decently well but lately it feels like it's all been done already
I guess I could go back to skimming legends and hope someone catches my eye
Already had a list for my favorite (pic related), though I'll admit it is a couple sets out of date these days

she counts as a lot of draw, BUT, not until the mid game when you can reliably cast her and protect her and a wizard or two

therefore, its worth including a good amount of ponders, impulse, and rhystic study type stuff that can smooth out your draws, make sure you hit your land drops through into the mid and late game

you dont want big flash draw spells iwth azami, because she's just better than them, so instead of recurring insight you want wizards, BSZ is just a great card because its instant speed but even that is outlcassed by wizards + azami, in my opinion

instead you want cheap stuff, divination is actually not a bad choice because you'll be playing it before azami. if you have any kind of ghostly flicker or unsummon effects, mulldrifter can be a good choice too, in mnay ways its just better than divination

Marchesa is definitely good fun, totally viable too. You could also look into the new WBR Marchesa if you like the political interactions.

>Favorite colors
Blue and red seem best for weird shit, though the others certainly aren't afraid to chip in in their own ways
>Favorite strategy
Pic related, act of treason everything that looks good then use her ability to make it permanent
>What cards do you own
Literally none due to family drama so I'm stuck with cockatrice and the like for now since I'm pretty poor to boot
>Lewd things
Never really had a Magic waifu or anything though I am a sucker for a cute girl

>What's your favorite part about playing commander? What's your favorite part of playing magic in general?

1st question: Honestly, I only play commander because that is all my playgroup plays. The previous playgroup only played kitchen-table 60 card decks, which I also had a blast playing. I guess the main thing is that, with EDH and kitchen-table formats, there's tons of variety. Strictly competitive scenes are more static, which I find to be boring.

2nd question: I like how there are multiple ways to play and win the game. Also, each deck is an expression of the player (whether they intend it or not).

Building Shu Yun might be worth it. In my experiences with running this deck, I have to play cautiously and bring out Shu Yun only when I know I can kill someone that turn or the next turn. I am likely to win with it since I'm never seen as a threat until it is too late. And, in a pinch, I can use my spells to help someone else out.