/kdm/kdmg/kdg/ - Kingdom Death General

dragons and angels edition

Old Thread: Kingdom Death is a company that makes a board game called Monster. That's hard to find in a google search though, so it's often just called Kingdom Death: Monster. It's a monster hunting board game which a campaign where you build up a small settlement of survivors.

Kickstarter link:
kickstarter.com/projects/poots/kingdom-death-monster-15/description

More details about the game can be found there, and links to pledge managers and other important things are at the top of the page. FAQ is at the bottom of the page.

KD:M Miniature Count Spreadsheet with bonus statistics:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11ujOUYfjTFp3jOx7T4f3wl-KmxBh0hST0Spa2Q3fy2k/edit#gid=0

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nVRqq947lNo#
youtube.com/watch?v=_Zdg-AMv8tw
youtu.be/VpAwrkmzmp0
youtube.com/watch?v=ppiGTLqfaWc
youtube.com/watch?v=eFx4g_P2kCM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>dragons and angels edition
>implying they're no the same

I read the FAQ; am I right in assuming I may or may not be able to add expacs in the pledge manager, depending on maths that the team hasn't performed yet?

Yes. There is a chance that that will be the case.

I can only afford my Gambler's pledge right now, I would very much like to get the expacs in the manager.

...And? I don't have any control. You asked a question and I answered. There is also a chance that you will be able to add packs. There is a chance that you will not.

>Dragons are actually battle form of angels
>Tyrant even has a fucking halo

This just makes too much sense.

From last thread.

>Gold lantern
>Abyssal woods
>Oblivion mosquito
>Dung beetle knight
>Flower knight
>Stone face bases (for survivors)
>Disciple pinup
>Dung beetle knight pinup+ pinup dungball
>Male/female beetle dancers
>Honeycomb weaver pinup
>pond scum armor pinup
>Pathfinders of death

After shipping it's 904 on the calculator

Again I wish I could justify the God frogdog bundle.
I'm heavily tempted to purchase the lonely tree and/or the frogdog.

Does the Black Friday Gambler's Lantern come with the abyssal woods expansion? I assume so, but it doesn't say it on the thing.

Looking at the model it seems REALLY obvious in hindsight.

It even has angel wings, they are just kinda subtle and look like part of the halo.

lion knight is pretty cute.

Here is an answer in a question.

Does the Black Friday Gamblers Lantern come with all the new expansions? if so Yes. If not No. If you do not know the answer try looking at what your pledge sez.

is it a new expansion?

It's a new expansion. Black Friday Gambler's Lantern gets all new expansions.

It's also listed in the official pledge tracker spreadsheet. I'm sure you already knew that, though, because you've read the Kickstarter... right?

As bad as the model is, frogdog is easily going to be Gorm but better. Multiple Armor sets, early game minions, one of the few monsters to make projectile attacks, etc.

>...And? I don't have any control.
Continuing the conversation in any manner makes it more likely that other anons may jump in, perhaps ones who have other sources of information or something. It was "anyone else want to weigh in" but more tactful.

he has explicitly said that there are no details on it because they are not sure. user was correct no reason to keep saying this over and over again

Poots official answer is "We will discuss the post-campaign pledge manage, post campaign. We will try to accommodate but it has given us trouble in the past so we cannot make any promises."

hrm...alright I guess you convinced me.

So 957 after shipping...

Thanks.

We can reference the FAQ.
Word of Poots in the comments is the same.
There is no more information.

I feel kinda retarded in hindsight. At first i thought he was an alien ala Wakfu, but this new theory just feels so much better.

Alien was the major theory back when it was first released.

Massive grey humanoid who came from the stars? Sure that screams angel biblically, but not in modern stuff. Everyone just thought he was Poots unique spin on aliens, because he puts a unique spin on everything.

anyone got some good background music for KD?
I find this works perfectly for game sessions:
youtube.com/watch?v=nVRqq947lNo#
not too overpowering, but subtle and ominous. 10:51 onward

anything primal sounding or gothic would probably work. Wardruna is also nordic stuff and works well.
youtube.com/watch?v=_Zdg-AMv8tw

So I'm currently in for the Golden Lantern Level and Gorm.
Would any players out there say that that is enough to tide me over until the next expansion reprint, or should I snag a couple more?
I'm tempted to go in for Spidicles and The Abyssal Woods because pretty miniatures, but I know the Abyssal Woods in particular requires a ton of expansions to make the most out of it gameplaywise.

So what's the theory? dragons are cast down demons? Isn't that par for the course in what's obviously a hellish terrible supernatural realm? I thought the mystery is why humans are here and how they 'started' being there

If were playing with music I do something vaguely normal like God Speed You Black Emperor something like F#A#

youtu.be/VpAwrkmzmp0

It's a decent fit and nobody thinks I'm putting on mood music even though I think it helps.

>I know the Abyssal Woods in particular requires a ton of expansions to make the most out of it gameplaywise.
Really if you got Woods, Spider, and FK to go go campaign mode you wouldn't need the other coordinating expansions. But there's something to be said for nabbing from old expansions that will deliver years earlier. Then again, Core (+ Spider & FK) could keep you in game until Abyssal Woods comes knocking easy.

scribe writes them into existence

>memetastic crescendocore for autistic indietards
>vaguely normal

See these posts for some pretty stellar insight into the lore of the game and how the lore dump for the death chocobo fits it pretty well.

depends on how you view the game. This is some dark mood music:
youtube.com/watch?v=ppiGTLqfaWc

I like having something in the background while playing but others I've gamed with have almost always said atmosphere music is cheesy and just put on shitty metal or techno.

The long form of the theory is that the various great entities are Angels, which have human forms (like Tyrant, Sparrow King, and Satan XY) and full-powered Dragon forms. Then there was more of a spiel of history involving all the entities depicted in the constellations being dragons that we only see the human(oid) form of like Gambler and Dragon King/Tyrant having been the one based angel who didn't try to fuck over humanity majorly, and thus chooses them as the vessel for the rebirth of his 'pure' people, the others being fallen like Satan.

It's an interesting theory, but I for one don't hold to it. Kingdom death was pitched as a world without souls and human specialness. To me, it just seems likely that "Dragon" is a convenient word for particularly physically imposing Greater Entities. I think it fits better with what we know if the Entities aren't something else. No heaven, no hell, just a world of darkness and the strange balance of powers that exists therein. A bunch of things don't fit the angels/war in heaven motif. The Golden Entity is explicitly bodiless -- the Chosen that represent its vain self-image are traditionally angelic but nothing like the Dragons and their human forms that we've gotten. And while the "Goblin Dragon" with its human form is set to add to the theory, there's also the fact that poots actually dumped his lore for once and... we know that being's origins. We know that it was a minor Entity, the Sparrow King, and it's dressing up as the possibly mythical Goblin to keep everybody else off its back.

And maybe it's just me but this godless world (or, perhaps, world of many insane 'gods' and entities) is more powerful on its own than trying to shoehorn in biblical imagery. Satan exist, but it could be easily enough pillaging the name since both (a) classical Satan and KDM Satan are beings of ultimate Pride.

>original theory
Dragons are just a weird alien species that went extinct and the Dragon King wants to revive the using humans.
>new theory
Dragons are actually gods/angels. They can take on a humanoid avatar, and Satan led a rebellion where they took over the original human and lion cities. Satan fell in the battle, placing Golden Entity at the top, and explains how Aya, possibly a survivor of the original war, or descended from it, got gauntlets crafted from satans corpse.

Dragon King didn't participate in the war, and finds the rest of the dragons to be corrupt, so he comes to the ground to raise survivors into a new race that can defend themselves from the dragons, to form a more noble legacy than what Satan would leave behind.

The lore for the Goblin Dragon damn near confirmed that theory a few hours after it was posted. Or at least confirmed major parts of it.

Yeah God Speed was a pretty popular band especially locally where I live. Crescendocore isn't amazing but its better than vocal heavy 3-4 minute tracks or some tryhard metal, throat singing or video game soundtracks that someone in the group will find annoying or I'll find annoying. Gaming is a social event and most people who play are vaguely normal

is it even worth getting this game for $250 if it's just the bare bones game and it'll be irrelevant within a few years?

If by irrelevant you mean there is another update or sequel, it follows that the content could carry over or an update pack could be released for cheaper. Besides that, give it a go in Tabletop Simulator or something if you'd like to see how worth it the game is. Lots of hours of gameplay even in the base game.
The conversation here's just gonna bias towards the completionist crowd.

Define "Irrelevant"

The game's certainly worth it and you won't get it better than KS prices. Sure grabbing a few xpacs will add (exponentially, in most cases) to replay value, but this isn't one of those Kickstarters where the "base game" is a totally stripped down bare bones, it's legit on its own.

i'm a completionist myself, which is why i'll have to probably skip out on this game again. can't afford to spend a grand on a game
thanks for the info

I would tell anyone jumping on board that the GC chest is MANDATORY.

It has basically all the coll stuff from the other expansions. Best money for minis, has a shit load of content including new innovations, gear, settlement events, all the new philosophies, Hunt events, Armour sets, combo sets, a Nemesis (possibly 2)

Satan bros check in

plus i mean... won't even arrive for 4 years? i dont even know if ill be alive in 4 years, let alone still interested in this game
not trying to offend anybody, just i have no patience and thats a long fucking time

PRAISE BE TO THE FINAL SATAN!

OK, now I know you're trolling. If you weren't, you'd know the base game is slated for only about one year off even accounting for some delays.

estimated delivery on KS is dec 2020

youtube.com/watch?v=eFx4g_P2kCM

Absolutely perfect for KDM. And they have album after album of this kind of shit.

Please read the WHOLE page, 2020 is an estimate to get EVERYTHING out to everyone.

OK dork, I'm going to spoonfeed you, on the offhand chance you aren't trolling and are instead a fucking moron who has never heard of a FAQ or doesn't know how to read one.

>Do I have to wait until 2020 to get my copy of the game?

>No. Games and Update Packs are shipping 2017.

Poots put the estimate for the LAST wave on the KS page because KS only allows one and better to scare people than lie to them about when they will get ALL their stuff by. He'll still be delayed, but w/e

I just realized that other than the just revealed pathfinder arab character, there are only white people in Kingdom Death. Not to be /pol/ but it's kind of funny that a land WITHOUT minorities ends up being hell.

thanks sorry it's really late here, didn't intend to derail thread. carry on

To be fair you can paint your people however you'd like without breaking canon in any way. Nice thing about minis.

WRONG

AFRO SAMURAI COMES WITH THE FIRST HERO YOU VIRTUE SIGNALING PIECE OF SHIT

KILL YOURSELF

Sorry if I was a little hostile, but "lol ships in 2020" has almost hit meme status around these parts.

nice, thanks user

i'm actually considering buying it now, too bad it ends in 18 hours... got a lot of stuff to sleep on right now

Zachary seems like he is some kind of middle eastern, or maybe Egyptian.

>Zachary is pretty ambiguously brown
>EXP survivor in First Hero sports a goddamned Afro
>Poots hires far east artists so some folks look randomly asian
>Pinup Forsaker black for cert
>Minis are all grey anyway, paint whatever skin color you want -- white, black, black-like-the-void, Kingdom-Death-Barsoom-Red, whatever
>Nope no minorities anywhere

Get bent.

So what does Poots use for modeling, anyway? Zbrush or something? The sculpt work being as incredible as it is, I've never seen anything mentioning what tools he uses.

Check the updates, he has links to streams from one of his sculptors.

I'm already sold on picking up Dragon King, is there anything else I should get from the old expansions? Trying to follow the node chart.. That user has yet to do expansion power rankings so gotta ask while there's time.

Are you getting any new Xpacs? Grabbing one of Gorm, Frogdog, or Weaver is a pretty good bet since having an alternate node 1 feels awesome.

Lion Knight is a ton of fun but only really mid-tier.

Lion God if you're in a pledge that gets Silver City like Second Face

Argument can be made for Spider and FK if you're getting Abyssal Woods.

Poots really loved the DBK and it shows.

Gorm is kinda divisive but offers an option for node 1 that's really valuable (or you could go for Honeycomb or Frogdog)

Dung Beetle Knight is great and Poots loves it.

Lion God is suffering unless you go for Silver City.

I have a huge soft spot for knights, so Flower Knight and Lion Knight's narratives and designs are really appealing to me, but they aren't necessary by any means.

Spids is a node 2 and I have no strong feelings about it at all unless you wanna do the new expansion.

Trying to avoid new xpacs to cut initial cost since they're shipped on a different wave. I'll pick them up down the line.
Bit torn between Gorm or DBK. Not a lot of savings to be had on Gorm but DBK shares the same Node as Dragon King.

You're going to play Gorm more, probably, unless you love White Lion. The only real issue with the expansion (IMO) is the model itself. Not a huge fan. If you can tolerate that, it's got a lot of good stuff.

DBK's really neat and relatively inexpensive, but you'll probably get more out of Gorm in the short term.

Oh Wow, I never realised the Campaigns of Death Book came with new gear and miniatures.

Given enough time all things become irrelevant.

Call me super retarded, but because I feel like one, do I include shipping costs in my pledge?

I haven't found an exact answer or am too stupid to find an exact answer and want to know if I need to throw in an extra $50 in my pledge to handle the shipping or if it charges me later for it.

You are super retarded.

No, do not pledge for shipping. Poots will take that later.

Went with DK, FK, Pinups {Butcher, frogdog armor, male nightmare ram armor, male screaming god armor, mountain dungeon armor}, Super Survivors, Abyssal Woods, Red Witches, and First Hero.
Ended up way more expensive than anticipated, expecially compared to the gameplay content of Ancient Gold Lantern.

>I'll pick them up down the line.

I want to do the same, but paranoid about shortages at the same time. Going to pick up Dragon King because it was unavailable for so long. At my budget limit, but fuck I don't wanna miss out on Abyssal Woods.

Not the user you replied to, but I'm also curious, because I assumed that it was all real sculpts.
With this campaign I discover they use Z Brush and/or that they scan real sculpts?

I'm super curious to know the process!

Are black friday prices generally as good as these KS prices?

Or in other words would it be a terrible idea to pick up the old expansions now on the cheap, and plan to get the new ones down the road at a similar price/maybe cheaper if he does another kickstarter.

It's a gamble user

user you're gay.

I dare say it's not a bad one. All the new stuff didn't get the same kind of discount as the old one, so it seems like waiting for the new to become old and get a possibly discount isn't so crazy

I think I will be once 2020 comes and I'm still alive.

I'm more concerned with the gameplay than anything else. You make a good case for Gorm.
I'm trying to see if I should also pick up DBK as well since it's also half off it's MSRP.

I'm picking up the important old xpacs (Dragon King, Gorm / DBK) for fear they might not see a reprint.
Spider & Flower Knight are more likely to be reprinted since they're required for the new Ancient Wood xpac.

Alright, finished up my final pledge calculation, $735 said and done with shipping, core and gamblers chest base, dragon king, dung beetle, and Lion Knight, then abyssal woods, and screaming god finale. Should have it paid off in a few weeks. What did you guys pledge?

assuming abyssal woods includes everything you need to use it?

Abyssal Woods also requires Flower Knight and Spidicules to be fully disable and has additional interactions with Dung Beetle Knight and honeycomb weaver.

The campaigns are different than the expansions. A campaign will run multiple specific expansions for a theme, an expansion builds upon the core game. It requires fk and spidey for the \campaign\ not the use of the expansion

I'm so glad that abyssal wood's came, because now I can give myself an out to not buy the fucking pepedog. Honeycomb weaver seems so much better.

Fully useable is what I meant to say.

2nd face gambler
>$927
>told sibling to drop his pledge to a 1.5 upgrade so he can just buy my gambler core for $200
>$727
>selling the pinups, $345 "breaking even" on them at $15 per.
>$382, currently 17 dollars more than I pledged last kickstarter for all game content, excluding slenderman.
>$157 for shipping, jesus fuck.

So my net expenditure is expected to be $539 by the time I get my expansions.

1.5 Upgrade Pack
Gamblers Box
First Hero Expansion
Screaming God

Red Witches
-Black Knight
-Oblivion Mosquito
-Memepepe
Nightmare Ram Expansion
Pariah
Gryphon
Campaigns of death
Mountain man
+Bone Armour

Honeycomb weaver +50
Abyssal Wood +150

I may drop peeps, moth and BK tho.

Using Fastbacker to pick up Satan pledge.... any tips? This thing is weird as fuck. What's subscribing to a pledge do? Can I pick more than 1 pledge to auto-back or do I just pick a Satans and hope I picked the right one?

You'll need to pick one level.
Install the browser extension and click the KS,
It'll open a tab and macro refresh+attempt to grab that pledge level every ten seconds.
Open a few to remove blind spots.

Check occasionally in case of connection errors or problems from KS's servers.

So far I'm at:
>Silver Lantern
>Abyssal Woods
>Black Knight
>FroggoDoggo
>Gryphon
>Weaver
>Inverted Mountain
>Red Witches
>Weaver (Pinup)

I wanted to limit to $500, wound up worrying close to $700. Yikes. Debating Frogdog and picking up promos. The original promos never sold after the KS, yes? Should I worry about the new ones doing the same? I can wait for expansions,

It was almost suspicious how close they were...

Ran the numbers on how long I can afford to pay rent on savings after leaving my current job, concluded that the mandatory DK plus a full Abyssal Woods setup was out of my range, and came up with:
>BF Lantern (Core)
>BF Gambler's Chest
>Dragon King
>Dung Beetle Knight
>enough left over for a single pinup
>$420
ayyyyy

I may swap out the Gambler's Chest when the pledge manager drops, though. Depends on how shiny the new packs like First Hero end up looking a month from now.

Dropping the gambler chest would be a very poor decision

I initially thought the same thing but there weren't any typographical errors. Unless it is a very long and elaborate ruse.

Oh gods what if the final day announcements end up being Rust Ocean and Ringtail Fox?

>BF Gambler
>all crossovers
>Lion God since I apparently missed that last time

917 plus apparently 163 in shipping. Less pinups I bother to sell.
There's about 13 I don't like, going through them quickly, so 195 at value, 325 at MSRP. It's very likely that they can go for more, but MSRP puts me around what I paid last time.

Frankly, wondering if I should go back to the 2nd Face+upgrade pledge for the selling power of the core game. It would put me down an additional 200, but sell for at least 400.

It won't

>Oh gods what if the final day stretch goals end up being Rust Ocean and Ringtail Fox?

So to do addons I just edit my current pledge and increase it by the amount of the addon like so?

Yes.

Alright thanks.