WIP - Painting/Sculpting/Converting General

Clean your brushes properly edition

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>Lord Inquisitor humbly returns to Terra with little to no fanfare
youtube.com/watch?v=cZc6cr6G2E4

>Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Up_tLURwydQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

if you have a printer you just have to do a little math and you can print your own labels.

Oh yeah and the point I forgot to make was that you can just invert the colors to white text on black ground and just glue and varnish it, so it blends seamlessly into the base or print it on decal paper so you can just transfer the name.
Because I'm completely nuts I even considered setting up a document and sending if off to be brass etched, but I decided that was a little too much even for me.

Put the idea to do some etching of my own at home into my head though.

I just finished my 1/16 German Soldier
i know it isnt tabletop related but still wanted to post something
youtube.com/watch?v=Up_tLURwydQ

Currently working on my Knight any ideas on the scheme any tips suggestions?
Thought about changing the golden parts leadbelcher

Posted a couple threads back. Made a little progress.. been busy.

What glue do you guys find the best? My town has nowhere that sells any so I gotta order online.

Depends on the application. I generally just use Loctite Super Glue "Gel Control".

>I just finished my 1/16 German Soldier
>i know it isnt tabletop related but still

Smaller than da reel fing, innit? That qualifies!

Looking good as is.

Might be a bit hard to prime and paint the inside are between the structures when glued down.

Revell plastic glue.
I use army painter super glue for other shit.

Town has super glue still but i'll try out that revell plastic glue. Thank you

Orc Shaman that's seen some amazing shit, maybe he's seen the future where Slaanesh grants penis fingers to Chaos Marines

I spray bombed the whole thing and then got a little carried away adding shit. Then I snapped some stuff off because I didn't like the layout and rearranged a bit. 2 steps forward, 1 step back. Pretty sure I'm done adding major things. Figure I'll just slap some more paint on it and maybe add a few small bits. I'd like to find a decent medium to glue down on the base, but I may forego it due to laziness.

Historicals need a bit of shading too you know. And that mold line along the arm, gotterdämmerung!

Get some Tamiya Extra Thin as well. I jump back and forth between that and Rveell contacta professional depending on what exactly I'm gluing.

Considering that this guy is what, 3-4 times the size of what many other people are doing, I'm not impressed at all.

Very few highlights, very little shading, and it looks like the paint has failed to stick on the pouch and holster- you did prime him, right?

The mud on his coat is cool, but I'm sure you can do better than this.

Please tell me that's grey primer.

The dude that's won 3 Slayer Swords and multiple other Golden Daemons doesn't bother with Primer either.

He can probably polish a turd to a mirror shine as well without much effort. For us mere mortals, primers tend to be a good idea.

Some use paint-on primer, you mix in shit or tone it for textures and lighting effects.

No, i had not primed him.
I did not think i would need it, since the model was bigger than usual.
But i know that now, if i ever do another.

I gave more or less up on the shading and highlights because i didn't want to mess him up more than i already had

Would /wip/ call this an accurate assessment of Dangles paint theme?

Main colours
>forest green, black joints
>Deathwing has bone armor
>Ravenwing has black armor, sometimes steel joints

Secondary colours
>crests and livery are back with white, bone, red, or a patterned combination

Decorations
-Swords
>if symbolic, white. If meant to represent a sword in a picture or carving, steel
-Skulls
>if symbolic, bone. If decorative, gold
-Wings
>Painted either white or bone. Ravenwing is always white.
-Crests
>Painted gold, unless it incorporates an above icon, in which case it is painted accordingly.

Robes
>Bone with red lining. The Deathwing wears forest green robes with black lining.

Apothecaries/Techmarines do not alter their paint scheme and wear standard white/red armor, the chapter pauldron is on the right shoulder, with the Apothecarion/AdMech icon taking the left.

I guess? Any number of GW paint schemes / tutorials will confirm for you

Primer isn't about size, it's about the surface. People use primer when painting cars, houses and ships. As in the real world stuff, not models.

Oh, well god dammit
Now i at least know that.
Well im gonna prime the next miniature (if i ever do one) as the first thing.

I do believe it's a bit late to prime that one

Then come back and tell us what to do once you've won one GD.

There's no need to be upset. Some people don't paint with primer as they feel it's unnecessary.

These people general don't handle their models as they're usually display pieces as opposed to play pieces.

Cunt doesn't have to be your default mode, fella.

Chimeras, WIP and well on their way. I hated the lasguns poking out so I chopped them off to make them look like struts or whatever.

I haven't finished the Russ yet but the two unopened boxes were bugging me and now I can production line the next steps which are
Metallics, Varnish, Rust pigments.

Also I need to do the viewing lenses around the turret areas.

What would contract the Grey and khaki well? Red? Green? Blue?

I'd say red or blue, preferring red since the yellow looks fairly warm (though that may just be your lighting)

I think I forgot to auto the warm/cold setting as I was taking other pictures earlier. The yellow is slightly warmer than it is in reality.

I'm thinking Red might be a good offset as well

They don't use primer because they don't touch their models after they're done. They're display pieces. They don't even have a proper gaming base, they're usually on dioramas or plinths. They don't seal in their weathering dust either, if you touch it your fingers will be covered in weathering Cheeto dust and you'll fuck up the model.

If you play with your models you NEED primer, varnish, and powder sealer. Telling a gamer not to use primer is shitty advice.

I really like the yellow, good work mang.

This is taking longer than I thought it would.

I then have the heads, skin and everything else to do.
How do you get the energy and drive to try and paint the best you can?

>How do you get the energy and drive to try and paint the best you can?
I just tell myself that i've spent a small fortune on model soldiers and not painting them as well as I can is a waste of time and money.

once i put them on display I look at them and if theyre not the best i can do, i think "i could have done better, and i didnt"

that, and i figure spend all your time painting to your best is the only way to improve, if you fall into a rut and just batchpaint low quality you dont improve

This looks so nice, i see so many just flat dull Guard tanks sround here. Nice weathering and pattern

Hung up with what head would look best on my BA Sergeant. Box shows him with the head on the far right but I am stuck between that or maybe on of the helm with the laurels. I also quite like the bare face I have on the right. Also would it be better if I gave him a hand flamer or combi-flamer? This squad is gonna be a flamer heavy squad.

Blue would make for a interesting coastal camo.

I guess I have to buy even more so that I can have this feeling as well.
Maybe I should display some of my models, what I tend to do is just put them in a box and then never taking them out unless I decide that I hate the colours and myself for picking those colours and just stripp them.

Hey /wip/, what would you say is the lowest temp one should be spraying minis with primer outside. I've blutacked my models and I'm ready to prime them but I'm worried about how cold it is outside.

Also, if my Skitarii primary color for their robes is Thunderhawk blue and the metallics are silver, what color should be secondary/inner? I'm going for a rain inspired color scheme.

I will stop image spamming now since I'm getting access to my PC soon.

It's been -20 when I have primed my models. I dunno if it's because I keep my cans warm indoors first before I use them. It's more or less the humidity I find that fucks you.

Aside from basing and some little touchups like highlights on the inner part of his fist Mr Graves is finished now.

Alright, only need to finish weapon options now and do some greenstuffing on the volkite blaster to fix some errors that came when magnetizing it.

>It's more or less the humidity I find that fucks you.

This. Temperature does nothing. Humidity is what affects drying speed and chance of clouding and fucking up primer.

I don't care if you're talking C or F; I do not want to live wherever it is you live.

I live in Southern Ontario. So -20C.

Yup, either way I do all my spraying in the garage. If it's summer time and the humidity sucks I spray in the storage room next to an open window.

Ken Masters, is that you?

That looks pretty sweet, who made it? Looks too good to be Hasslefree, but it does have the comically oversized hands.

I feel your pain. -24C with the wind chill here in WI.

I had to look that up. Sadly no, just fabulous golden haired Sons of Sanguinius.

It's a Malifaux mini.
Odd proportions and general weirdness are par for the course at this point.

It's normally not to bad where I live. Lowest it has ever gotten was -30 but that's rare. Shitty part is I have been working outside this whole winter so I am basically dressed up like that little brother from A Christmas Story.

SHINRYUUUUKEN

>tfw my Blood Angels will never look this cool...

The question is not "why?
The question is "why not?"

>that fucking arrow

I don't have an issue with the missile javlin or the eye arrow, I am however confused as to why he's balancing a human skull on his head.

That's his most prized possession. All he wanted was to get a head in life.

You'll see

Alright, that is my first question answered. Any advice for my secondary color?

Carlos....

You didn't even try, Carlos.

>not havin' the squig'erderz breedin' ya a speshul skull squig

Fresh off the boat, from reddit, kid? heh I remember when I was just like you. Braindead. Lemme give you a tip so you can make it in this cyber sanctuary: never make jokes like that. You got no reputation here, you got no name, you got jackshit here. It's survival of the fittest and you ain't gonna survive long on Veeky Forums by saying stupid jokes that your little hugbox cuntsucking reddit friends would upboat. None of that here. You don't upboat. You don't downboat. This ain't reddit, kid. This is Veeky Forums. We have REAL intellectual discussion, something I don't think you're all that familiar with. You don't like it, you can hit the bricks on over to imgur, you daily show watching son of a bitch. I hope you don't tho. I hope you stay here and learn our ways. Things are different here, unlike any other place that the light of internet pop culture reaches. You can be anything here. Me ? heh, I'm a judge.. this place.... this place has a lot to offer... heh you'll see, kid . . . that is if you can handle it...

What do people use for spray primer? I had previously been using Army Painter but I'm working on Malifaux figures right now and find it to be a bit thick on the application. Any suggestions?

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

It's like dueling banjos
without the entertainment

What are people's recommendations for brushes? I just went to michaels last time and got a couple mid level ones, but they're getting kinda shitty so I wanted to grab some decent ones as I get better

I've recently just used the spray from Walmart or a hardware store, rustoleum I think. Just don't go too heavy on it and there's been no loss of detail on my infinote models.

Is there a difference between surface primer and primer?

Shitposting aside here's my tankbustas built up, tried to go more overload on bits instead of just doing ork boys with rokkits Launchers
Fuck you Carlos

Yall niggas suck anyways.

Wow, /wip/, this really sucks.

My names Duncan, and i teach every single one of you. You are all paint-thinning, moudline removers...

I always use a palette, and get a god bit of paint on it (I just thinned it; shit was SO cash)

Pic related, its me and my fine-tipped brush

I've only painted for a couple of friends, really. Start with your local group. Maybe a flier at the hobby shop if they'll allow it.

Working on my chaplain dreadnought.
Do you think I should put red dots inside the eye sockets, or keep them black? I want it to look more frightening than intimidating

I'm not a great painter, and I'm about to turn in for the night soon, so I thought I would show this guy. One of the Warzone 2nd Edition Imperial Militia that I'll be using as Stormtroopers/Veterans for my Mordian Iron Guard.

Put a white dot in them. Idk why, black eyes with just a white iris always made me uncomfortable

Alright Veeky Forums, gonna be jumping back into 40k after a 10+ absense from it, figured I'd start with Adeptus Mechanicus since they finally have a proper army now so I grabbed the Start Collecting box. Any tips I should know going into it? I already know the basics like painting the Ranger's arms/rifle separate from the rest of the body and building/painting the Dune Crawler in separate leg/turret sections.

keep the capes separate too so you can paint the interiors unhindered.

Unless you really, REALLY (and I mean REALLY) want Move through Cover, don't make them Rangers but Vanguard instead, for starters. They're cheaper, have more flexible weapons, work better with 2/3 of their special weapons (with the last one being bad anyway) and have a better Special Rule.

Magnetizing your Dune Crawler is also pretty awesome to do, since being able to swap its weapon is pretty damn good on a unit as versatile as the Crawler is. It's pretty easy to do, only somewhat difficult part is the Icarus Array.

I like it dude, practice makes perfect.

more cultists. my first attempt to paint human flesh that isn't just the top of some dude's head. eeeeeeehhhhhhhhhh I dunno.

finished my other two rotflies. fuck i wish i could take a photo worth anything.

looks fucking great for a first. cultists should seem insanely unhealthy so that weird skin tone works a charm

red dot sounds cool, might turn out goofy if you're not careful though.

man I wish chaos had special dreadnoughts besides god-specific ones. I mean those are cool, but I'd like our basic dreads to have a little more variety. a dark apostle helbrute would be really fluffy for a helcult formation

Newfag here. Just got started painting my Daemons of Nurgle I got for christmas. This guy was my first attempt and I think he came out okay but I'd appreciate some tips.

By the Emperor, those things are gross. Good job.

Blessed be, brother! you have chosen the right god. theres not a lot you can do with them to be honest, maybe do the horn on a gradient like a bleached bone colour turning brownish towards the tip

Still haven't figured out which Demon Princes army I want to go with when I eventually start to build one. So far not all that interested in Khorne or Tzeentch.

looks solid man. after you varnish it you might try putting some of GW's Nurgle's Rot technical paint in a few areas to give it mucus-y details, and use it to make some pools on the base. some green glaze like Waywatcher in some areas might be cool too but gotta watch out and blend it well or glaze can turn shit real fast.

there can only be one choice, brother! accept the blessings of the father, for he loves you and will festoon you with all manner of plagues to share!

Blood Effect is cool but come on, this is a Nurgle Demon! You can get grosser than that! Should have some puss colour drooling out too, maybe some slimy green.

didn't you post that same image yesterday? did you add some edge hightlights or paint the missing details on the bare chested guy yet?

i did not, i was busy working on
i just thought i'd post nurgle minis for the guy choosing a chaos god

That's why I am considering Papa Nurgle, he is just so loving and kind! But then again Slaanesh always has the best parties. And who can compete with Doom Rider and Sigvald?

I kind of want to start some nurgle forces, but not the usual nurgle. I've been mulling over ideas that don't have bloat, ooze, guts, mold, bugs, etc but are clearly the work of nurgle all the same.

the running 'four armies' thing in white dwarf has a nurgle army themed around blue and yellow, with blue skin tones and bright yellow boils. it looks pretty striking.

otherwise you can do an albino white and red kind of plague look. not all diseases are vomit and bile, you could have some awful blood disease