Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Familiar Edition:

Do you actually roleplay your familiars, with personalities and everything? or are they just extra stats to you? You monster.

>THIS IS IMPORTANT!
If you want build advice make sure to say what 3pp you can use, if any.
>THIS IS IMPORTANT!

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/JTj1yEmU (embed)

Avowed Playtest 1:
drive.google.com/open?id=0B5HkyGRtGZy3SWVhdWFBWERWWjg
Avowed Playtest 2: docs.google.com/document/d/1rV7kaF9JL2gw9xQalkEnlEDL9WXtbsaCqNABm_pLIgc/edit?usp=sharing
Malefex Playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1W3LrE8WyIxxYRr8d9dHsWioeUk_-HZaSMqVWRnzc9Fc/edit?usp=sharing
Legendary Kineticists II Playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/11_w1o5dSef2tzu2GDLnJKElHY3uyETzuzFHDAjI6P6k/edit?usp=sharing

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

kickstarter.com/projects/1708940685/spheres-of-might-a-new-pathfinder-martial-system
fantasynamegenerators.com/dragon_names.php#.WHF0z8tMHqA
d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/aberrations/evil-eye
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Tossing this out here for the sake of both discussion and ogling.

What would you think of a Pathfinder campaign being run in the Kingdom Death world?

>Kingdom Death
explain

>implying I've played a character with a familiar

So: You all know stuff about the Soulknife and Aegis, so I want to know how the Living Legend archetype and the Aegis equivalent work, and how do the two of them work with Metaforge?

Animals aren't people

Aren't Familiars changed to Magical Beasts?

Checkmate.

Get out.

I literally don't even know anything about kingdom death.

Tell me.

Alright, so, imagine a man, asleep. as he wakes up, he sees nothing, for all is darkness around him, save for a lantern, which, naturally, he picks up. the ground is naught but carved stone faces, and he can see other people waking up nearby. None of them have any memories. They didn't even have any dreams before waking.

as they're getting their bearings, a predator - a massive white lion, with the forepaws replaced by human hands - assaults them, and in a desperate bid for survival, the newly awakened humans fight for their lives, and eventually lay the beast low.

They see a light on the horizon, and go there, for the light is safe, they understand on some instinctual level. Other survivors arrive, and they form a settlement around the place. they create language, and realize they must hunt to survive.

That's Kingdom Death at its core. Basically plays like Dark Souls mixed with Monster Hunter.

A world where the monsters are horrifying, the women are thick and the men are hunks?

How powerful is Queen Culdranth? Could she beat Mengkare in a fight?

I'm working on a pitch for a game, but I don't know if anyone would be interested in the premise. What do you all think?

>Snarltooth the Black was a creature of legend - an ancient dragon who spread terror across a span of centuries. Countless creatures from humans to goblins to elves would tell stories of Snarltooth descending on a city to slaughter all who stood before him.

>Less than a century ago, Snarltooth settled down in the Bleak Marsh, a vast and natural swamp far from any of the large cities that men call home. The dragon gathered servants - kobolds, orcs, goblins and ogres. Many worried he was raising an army, and these fears proved true as his monstrous forces began boiling forth attack nearby villages and towns.

>As the refugees flowed into the neighboring human kingdom of Alaytius, the king sent his soldiers to repel the attacks, but his troops found themselves bogged down in the swampy terrain. The king instead issued a vast bounty for the head of the dragon, luring adventurers from across the world.

>Three weeks ago a team of adventurers launched an assault against Snarltooth's cave, cornered the ancient dragon and killed him. They pillaged his horde and took his head back to the king. Snarltooth's followers were devastated by the attack, many hundreds of his orcish, goblin and kobold minions died.

>You are members of the Blackscale clan, a small group of kobolds loyal to Snarltooth. All of your leaders and experienced warriors were recently killed, and your clans god-dragon was slain. While once the orcs and goblins bowed before the kobolds, as emissaries of Snarltooth, now you bow before them. Worse, you know that the dwarven adventurer will bring news of the rare metals in your mine back to his people, and soon an army of dwarven miners and soldiers will march on Snarltooth's lair to drive you from your home and claim it for their own.

>You must move quickly to try and help your tribe find the strength to survive the coming chaotic days.

See With the addition of "Humans are most definitely the bottom of the food chain, but are capable of great things when given time to learn how to fight"

Well yes. In addition to the whole darkness shit.

>Mention off-hand that the character's biggest goal is to kill 100 monsters
>Throughout the game, the other players throw in weird technicalities such as asking whether or not human skeletons count, or animated statues after they've been killed, of course
>GM switches it up after exactly 97 monsters and we end up fighting humans exclusively
Clever girl.

Is there a costing mechanism/equation for buying a single casting of a Spheres of Power spell?

No.

Hey what ever happened to the lazy princess roll20 game?

Is it usually crossover shenanigans, or is that a special thing?

Do you mean like, a scroll or potion? Or like hiring a guy to cast a thing for you?

In terms of raw power, Culdranth probably has no mortal equal. But beating any dragon of comparable age, or even three quarters her age is probably a tough prospect for her.

She hasn't lifted a claw against another in her life. Anyone with with even just a few centuries of fighting experience could feasibly take her down because of her inexperience with violence.

So no, Mengkare would probably kick Culdranth's ass. Though he wouldn't come out of it unscathed.

I messaged the DM this morning. From what he said it seems that someone else that posts here had used his housemate's novel's framework to try and host a game and he was not aware of this at first.

I asked if he'd consider running it for us anyways and he said he has no intention of running a game for strangers right now but to ask again in the future.

The Crossover stuff is pretty much unique to the new version of the game, which is 1.5. Up until this point, it's been entirely self-contained.

I'm actually really curious about how they're going to be handling magic for Seoni and Kyra, given that while Kingdom Death has lots of magic in it, it's typically nowhere even close to available to players.

>You could be casually fucking the most powerful being in Golarion
>And she's a power bottom
>mfw I have no face

Technically, it's something that happened to the character in his past (an elaborate curse put upon him by an evil witch he's learned to live with), but my GM said to find the cost for it and take it out of my WBL.

Well, is it just a setting, a system, or what

its a board game

It's a board game RPG, but I figure so long as we can stat out the monsters (There's not really a ton of them) and pull together a crafting system that makes use of monster body parts, it wouldn't be difficult to make it into a PF setting.

Aren't most monsters in the game at, like, Vilderavn levels of "fuck the players"?

how much candy does she eat in a day?

Well, in at least one place, the effective spell level of a sphere effect is half the caster level of it. So if you use that, you can figure it out using the normal pricing for spellcasting services.

Basically. I don't think pathfinder's a good fit, just about every fight in Kingdom Death needs to be permanently mauling or killing off characters and Pathfinder has too much safety space. It'd work out better in 2e or something that isn't afraid of sending out instant-death saving throws at low levels or that can functionally mutilate a player without making them worthless.

Yeah, but 500gp seems a little... light, for the cost of a Permanent Fusion with a Pugwampi.

Not just the monsters.

Everything.

So wait, Arcanist works like this:

Prepare the list of spells for the day.

Then cast from that list, choosing whichever spell you want, until you run out of the corresponding spell slot?

Sorry if I sound snooty, but "Snarltooth" turned me off immensely. For pitching purposes, please think of a better name.

For pitching purposes, please shorten down your pitch.

"Legendary Dragon known for bloody rampages settles where he raises an army of orcs, kobolds, and goblins. The king of Alaytius issues a massive bounty for the Dragon after the King's troops fail. The Dragon is killed by a team of adventurers, the Dragon's minions are devastated in the wake if no leadership chain. You are kobolds of the Blackscale clan who once served the Dragon, and not only must you deal with the shambles of orcs demanding you bow to them, you must consider the quickly encroaching threat of Dwarven miners and soldiers who wish to encroach upon the Dragon's former lair to drive you from your home forever, that the wealth of the cave would be theirs. You must act if you wish to survive, let alone retake the glory and honor that is rightfully yours."

I feel like it could get even shorter than the above.

And to answer your question, I wouldn't play it because kobolds. The concept is nice, though.

Seriously though, Snarltooth? Please, man. Change that shit as soon as you can, and then pitch your game, and then get your players, and run it! Have fun!

S N A R L T O O T H
N
A
R
L
T
O
O
T
H

Well, it'd be like trying to make a Dark Souls campaign. there's some inherent differences in the storytelling of both games, so a fair number of liberties would need to be taken to make them work.

On the other hand, Kingdom Death actually has a 'hero mode' that lets you bypass a lot of the "and then you died" things to just have a squad of heroic dudes working for the good of their settlement, rather than bands of survivors constantly being tossed into a meatgrinder. That seems like it'd be the best starting point for a conversion.

Correct.

You cast like a sorcerer, but the spells you have 'known', you prepare at the beginning of each day like a wizard.

Yeah, basically. You're a sorcerer with a spellbook that lets you prep a new spells known list for the day.

Spheres of Might kickstarter here
>kickstarter.com/projects/1708940685/spheres-of-might-a-new-pathfinder-martial-system
Look at it, or don't, I don't care

I tried. Had a seperate voice and personality for him and everything, but it felt weird talking to myself or using him to talk to others when i could have done so

Cr 28

Can someone explain me what is this ruckus about a dragon campaign?

The thickest MILF in existence orders her thousands of children to go out and make her proud.

And how I join?

Someone will post the Roll20 page, and then you'll take a look at the 20+ applications and realize the futility of that statement.

>It's not worth putting an honest effort into an application because a dozen other people did too

Yes. It's like a sorcerer and a wizard, but combined and weaker.

Without the arcane pool it's just not that good of a class

...this will probably cause an argument.

Different guy but what would you suggest?

'Snarltooth' is a common enough name, and presumably they can't pronounce his actual Draconic name, so unless you want a bunch of gibberish consonants or something straight out of Edgelord 101 you don't have many options.

Maybe 'Scowlfang?' Same general meaning but a little more frightening.

>I have literally every spell known and able to be hot-swapped in a single day, or 15 minutes with an ability
>Weaker
You really ARE an idiot.

>I have the best form of casting and know every spell and can swap them easily
>Weak in any way, shape or form
Are you high?

>Without a major class feature it's not that good of a class
genus

More like species.

fantasynamegenerators.com/dragon_names.php#.WHF0z8tMHqA

Smaug was a good Dragon name, and something like it would be great for lowly minions. Something harsh sounding with limited syllables.

It really isn't. Consider the fact that unless you blow somewhere between fourteen or fifteen other applications out of the water at this stage, you probably won't get in, especially when you take into account that the GM for that game is going to stop accepting new ones any time now.

Silvia has mangy fur and probably smells!

Guys don't fall for the ba-

...Fuck.

Do realize the players accepted were able to blow the other fourteen or fifteen applications out of the water.

>i'm a sorcerer who chose non-shit spells for my list, I will probably only swap out several because scrolls exist, and I don't have nearly the "fuck this shit here is 15 fireballs in your face" ability that an actual sorcerer has.

Seriously: how many times do you actually use the "super edge case but 15% more effective in this specific situation" spells?

Well most of the arcane pool is "meh" tier. There are a few very powerful outliers that means every arcanist has the exact same exploits chosen.

Don't get me wrong: It still gets full arane casting, making it one of the most powerfull classes in the game. It just isn't the LOL OP BEST OF BOTH that everyone claims it is.

Silvia has a lovely glossy coat and smells fine!

>I don't do it, therefore nobody does it
Okay.

Yes, but realistically what you are competing for are the slots already slated to be filled by strong concepts with interesting builds and titillating art. Never mind the fact that people who have already applied have had time to discuss the game, and tune their applications to make changes that were popular among other potential players.

Silvia is high maintenance! She needs a fine-toothed brush and special shampoo!

Pampered pupper!

how many different 4th level spells have you ever actually cast? I'm serious.

I'll put my list together and post it.

Why doesn't PF have a Beholder equivalent (or have I just missed it)?

I want to play as pic related.

Copyright

Seht has the highest Handle Animal bonus! +8! He's our fluffy tail toucher!

d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/aberrations/evil-eye

>Seriously: how many times do you actually use the "super edge case but 15% more effective in this specific situation" spells?
More than 0 times, which is PRECISELY WHY it's so strong. It's because eventually you WILL need a spell that you didn't have on-hand, and it'll be a problem you can't just have a scroll for. THAT is the Arcanist's strength, it negates the need to worry or panic about having the right item on-hand or having prepared the right spell; you are ALWAYS going to have it on-hand.

...and being able to get that spell tomorrow is worth losing 1/3rd of your casting endurance?

Memonic vestments exist, so do pages of spell knowledge.

Seht is not allowed to touch fluffy tail, he needs to be pure for Kyler!

Hey I'm looking through the RotRL stuff in the trove, and spotted the "anniversary edition" shit, what's up with that? what's the differences between that and the originals, particularly the players guide? Want to know what I'm tossing my groups way.

Beholders are product identity. Only Dungeons and Dragons itself is able to actually use Beholders and call them Beholders.

Being able to get that spell TODAY, RIGHT NOW is.

Just give 'em a full-round and BOOM, they have the spell they need.

Don't use Metaforge. It sucks.

The original RotRL was built in 3.5

the anniversary edition is an update to those rules to make it Pathfinder compliant.

>Money is always endless
>You can always buy those in-bulk for exactly the spells that you need
>You will always know which spells to put on those items every day and never make a mistake or roll poorly

It's an update to Pathfinder rules, some minor corrections and artwork that doesn't make the major NPCs look like gremlins because the artist on the original RotRL hated JJ's guts and learned that the NPCs were characters from his campaign.

Interesting, but too long.

What, you've never brushed your party member's fur? It's not sexual, just polite!

My DM roleplays my familiar in one of my 5e campaigns, where I play a chain warlock with a cute pseudodragon familiar.
He's a big dragoncat and she wears him around like a scarf.

Then how comes Heroes of Might and Magic could get away with this?

>Culdranth
>power bottom

Go on.

Culdranth is a power bottom and aggressively submissive.

She's gonna make you pound her, and you're going to like it.

Interesting
Thanks dudes

Now I want to app with a character whose motivation is to fuck all the most powerful beings in Golarion.

Or for sillier things, who wants to steal panties (or the closest equivalent) from all of them.

Fantasy Pantsu Quest when?

>Panties
>Not their hearts

We might just have differing ideas on how effective the more specialized spells are. I've never been particularity un-prepared as a sorcerer, and I really value the ability to just cast fly on every party member if I need to.

Although I tend to favor the brute-force approach to solving problems in pathfinder, and I never really play the "all according to keikaku" characters.

>their hearts
>not binding their souls to power a vast machine whose true purpose is unknown

How do I turn around a nauseatingly lawful good campaign?

We're at the point where the party is kinder to their enemies than they are to their friends. Just recently we apprehended a literal mass murderer, having killed a minimum of hundreds of people and tens of thousands of gold in property damage via earthquakes...

and he gets off with not even a slap on the wrist. The local church casts Atonement on him and he goes completely free without even supervision.

How do I go about stopping them from doing this?

Have the killer start killing agian.

Some people are broken and can't be saved.

have him do something even worse, like assassinate a few lords or high power folks, sending the region into political instability

have him kill a PC's spouse

or worst of all, have him pee on their fucking rugs

>The local church casts Atonement on him and he goes completely free without even supervision.
Stop giving local churches access to 5th level spells? Have him just...not accept the alignment change?

Or just accept it. If your players want to play pure noblebright then you play pure noblebright. If you can't do that then tell them so and ask them to find another GM.

Really? That rug really tied the room together.

I believe you.

May I ask why it sucks?

I mean, it sounds like - given the Atonement - you're doing the thing where alignment partially or wholly determines personality. If he's an objectively good person now, the fuck is your issue?

I have an odd idea, tell me your opinions and if you would not be okay with this at your table.

I want to make an exiled noble summoner. He was exiled for being an immature dick and wasn't high in the succession line anyway. His eidolon is a bikini-plate wearing, stereotypical blonde 80s bombshell that he treats like dirt. This would be an evil campaign, obviously. The level of horrible he is to his eidolon would depend on the comfort level of the group, but the least awful he would be is still pretty awful. I know no one at the table has been in an abusive relationship so I'm not worried about make my the role play too real for someone. Thoughts? Keep in mind this would be next to a murder-hungry barbarian, a Moriority inspired wizard, and a necromancer cleric.

I'm a player, not GM, yo.

Interestingly enough though, I am GMing a campaign that fell apart from this a while ago. They actually fireballed an angry mob to stop them from killing a horrific torture murderer that's killed over a dozen people, including some people the party liked... after they had already imprisoned him once.

It collapsed when the King started sending bounty hunters after the party for being mass murderers.

... But in the game I refer to, I am a player. Lawful good-itis is a fucking plague.

>not punishing the wicked
>not protecting the innocent
>lawfull
>good
Pick 0
Jesus christ some people...

Fuck off man. If you don't like it find a party that wants to play your way.

Yeah, they're playing the worst version of Lawful Good, but they all seem to be on the same page. It's quite possible they're playing a cognitive dissonance campaign and our user isn't picking up on it, but whatever the reason you don't get to be the outlier and tell everyone else that they have to do things your way.

Well, there's lawful good, and then there's the lawful good disease where they are brainwashed by the media to completely blank out the fact that someone is a torture murderer and allow them to live in peace.