Warhammer Fantasy General

Warhammer Fantasy General: Squats and Zoats edition.

>Previous Thread
Kindly no End Times or Age of Sigmar. It's not the same universe. Please go shill/troll elsewhere.

>1d4chan
1d4chan.org/wiki/Category:Warhammer_Fantasy

>Newbie Introduction to Warhammer Fantasy (Download, start reading at page 174 for the story and all the races)
mediafire.com/download/i330182xo9b1hsi/Rulebook (Hardback).pdf

>Third Party Miniature Manufacturers
pastebin.com/CvGaNyrk

>List of Warhammer recommended proxies
the-ninth-age.com/lexicon/index.php?lexicon/462-the-9th-age-miniature-library/

>Tomb Kings Range reborn!
tabletop-miniatures-solutions.com
indiegogo.com/projects/tms-undying-dynasties-army-release#/

>Bretonnia range reborn!
indiegogo.com/projects/tms-kingdom-of-equitaine-army-release

>Fimir range reborn!
krakongames.com/product-category/miniatures/fomorian/

>Warhammer Wikis
whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page
warhammerfb.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Wiki
warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Online_Wiki

>Resources (Armybooks, Supplements, Fluff, Crunch)
pastebin.com/8rnyAa1S
pastebin.com/0e6RuQux

>Endhammer
1d4chan.org/wiki/Endhammer

>9th Age
the-ninth-age.com

>Warhammer Online: Return of Reckoning (Alpha)
returnofreckoning.com/

>Total War: Warhammer
store.steampowered.com/app/364360/

>End Times: Vermintide
store.steampowered.com/app/235540/

>Mordheim: City of the Damned
store.steampowered.com/app/276810/

>Bloodbowl 2
store.steampowered.com/app/236690/

>Man O' War
store.steampowered.com/app/344240/

Other urls found in this thread:

dropbox.com/s/jmhkpu29ai4p1td/Pelimuseo.jpg?dl=0
flickr.com/photos/145566173@N08/30098557933/in/dateposted-public/
eldritchdark.com/writings/short-stories/61/the-empire-of-the-necromancers
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

For those of you with long memories, or who've done some second hand learning, is there anything from older editions of Warhammer that you really miss?

Forest Goblin Infantry
Units of Netters and Clubbers
War Wagons
The prices

I'm just not convinced by a lot of of the "Range reborn" stuff. The resin figures often aren't as good as the plastic GW ones, especially when it comes to a lot of the larger centerpiece figures. I just don't see a huge reason to get that stuff over their GW equivalents, especially when Ebay and Chinacast are an option.

Other than Avatars of War really I don't see any that do it right. Historicals are very different when it comes to proportions and take converting to get a lot of the more elaborate bits on.

>played 7th and have an OK army
>FLGS has like seven battle for skull pass boxes
>none of my real friends interested enough to invest in an army.
>would play at my house if I had multiple armies
>know I want one BfSP box just for the rule book I lost

Would getting two give me two decently meaty forces? He asking 80 for the skull passes should I try for a two for discount deal?

As someone who's only now getting into fantasy with info strictly from army books, I've got a question that you probably answered many times:
Were there ever gods of order? I read sigmar and the lady but are they actually 'gods' in the sense of being antithesis to the big four in chaos? Or Re the chaos gods kind of like a Hindu shiva deal, where they will create everything just to destroy it so they can repeat?

Also, rules question: it's confusing sometimes, but when counting ranks for the sake of combat resolution, do I count my front line? I see it strangely calculated in some battle reports, but I could have sworn the books (8th) said every rank after the first.

GW used to have a huge boner for Native American themes in 40k and WFB, but then suddenly they stopped. Wonder what happened.

Forest Goblins are still my favorite though. Spiders seem like such a great and terrifying enemy.

is there any more fluff than the half page of tamurkhan ?

you are literraly 6 years too late to play this game.
i can see people with existant 10+ yeats collections playing WHFB but you should just play 40k honestly. for the sake of your money and actual use youll have with your models

Funny enough, I actually have a decent skaven collection. I used to paint them in high school as a hobby, telling myself I'm going to learn to play one day.
Now I'm 28 and I sat my Fucking ass down and learned the rules when I got a bunch of free army books. I also have a 3d printer for proxies (a bunch of friends bought me alot of plastic to make them copies because they are interested).
We are actually just going to have a rules learning day and army gen, but I'd like to be able to give some background.
I'm well aware I may never see a stranger at flgs that wants to play 8th (or 9th, it seems is the new thing)

I bought my WHFB army like 3 years ago and I haven't gotten a chance to play a single game yet because I was too spergish to bring myself to play with an unpainted army.

Part of me suspects that the ship has sailed on WFB, but Age of Sigmar looks like 40k-lite and I have absolutely no interest in it. I should just try my luck and see if I can find anyone in my area who still plays WFB. The game only dies if the community lets it.

>This isn't as fair an example, since dwarves and elves are two entirely different factions. Vampires are vampires, despite differences in bloodline. It's not as if bloodlines never interact with one another, or never work alongside or for each other for the sake of a common goal or in a tenuous alliance.
No, that's just it, the strigoi wouldn't. The strigoi was betrayed and forced underground. The whole forced to eat rats for millennia, hiding in graveyards, going insane, becoming deformed - the strigoi HATE all the others for it.Espe ially the nobles; the lahmians, the blood dragons, the carsteins, etc.

The comparison with elves/dwarfs is perfect.

I like a lot of variation in my minis. Even if GW didn't suck, I'd be buying some alongside theirs just to have more poses.

Two gives you a decent small Dwarf army. Three is a full one, although you may want an extra unit of something to buff out your special and rare sections.

I think just because of how Goblins work you need like 4 since they're like Skaven and you need a lot of bodies on the field. Not exactly sure though, sorry.

There were gods of order, but even from an in-universe perspective, they were largely unknown and forgotten, and in a meta sense, their nature was never expanded upon.

Sigmar, Shallyan and the others are real gods, thoguh, insofar as any "gods" can be considered "real". Unknown to the overwhelmingly vast number of people, all magic and all gods (possibly excluding the gods of order) stem fro The Realms of Chaos, and deities as individual personnas are generated by the faith, beliefs and conceptions of living things in the real world, the materium.

Chaos Gods of Order existed in very early editions with the ones we now know as just Chaos being the Chaos Gods of Destruction. Back when GW was ripping off Moorcock so much it was basically just changing the names.

When they tried to move away from Moorcock they axed the Gods of Order. Unfortunately it made the Four into Saturday morning cartoon villains who /win instead of the other half of the same self-consuming snake.

You're too late for 40k too. Its getting its own End Times now.

Dwarfs would ally with Elves long before Strigoi with Von Carsteins.

>RAAAAARGG! Life is inevitably pointless, and we must find our own meaning, life's only purpose is life itself. RAAAARRGHGH!

>Dwarfs would ally with Elves long before Strigoi with Von Carsteins.
Fair point.

Reminder that the dwarfs are the more based and bro race.

Y'know, as long as your great great great grandpa didn't fart in one's general direction.

>Autistic manlets

t. faggot knife eared nigger player

Guys, I think I've found a little gem on facebook: Toumas Pirirnen's page.

The guy posted a lot of curiosities behind the development of mordheim and the 6th edition of warhammer on top of sharing artworks with the community.
dropbox.com/s/jmhkpu29ai4p1td/Pelimuseo.jpg?dl=0
flickr.com/photos/145566173@N08/30098557933/in/dateposted-public/

>Toumas Pirinen*

>Both games went under where I live.
>Seriously, it's Bolt Action/very popular Mordheim hack/Infinity/9th Age now.

Shit, I never expected to live in a time when Main Publisher (tm) (r) (skub) would be so unpopular. There is no demand for used figures.

>The Hyperbole

>Just started a campaign with mates that involves standing army WHFB battkes, Mordhiem skirmishers and even AoS for the inbetween.

Look, I know it just seems like I'm pulling things out of my ass, and I admit I can't track down my sources, but I'm telling you - there are bits of lore out there of Strigoi working with and for other bloodlines.

>very popular Mordheim hack
frostgrave?

Nah, I'm Polish, so it's fan made, called Warheim and set in pre-SoC Warhammer universe.

It's cool but I would never bother to translate 900 pages of rulebook.

I'm aware that folks play Frosgrave here too, through.

Additionally the other vampires detest Strigioi

Does anyone have the 6th edition rulebook? I didn't see it in the pastebin links, though i might just be retarded.

I actually have several friends that started playing older editions with my playgroup after the AOS happening and have since started their own armies (KOW+ second hand mostly)

This is the best WHFB cover, it looks like something from medieval Germania but there is an Orc there.

Tfw even 40k is starting to dry up. It's all Armada, X-Wing. Infinity(Even I have an army in this now). Hell even Kings of War is starting to loose it's steam. Everyone is going to 30k now, not realizing 40k's end times will still affect it. Not to mention, table top is dying as an idea. I think in 20-30 years the games will all be dead. Little support. Maybe the skrimish games will survive. But 40k, AoS(If you call that a game), KoF(Once again, if you call that a game), Warmachine. All dead. God anyone new to this hobby is really 20 years late to start now. I hate this.

Super newfag here, I had some questions about Mordheim. I guess to be more specific, the official release.

-Are shields worth the gold? It seems most units have STR4 to negate the save. Or using an axe.

-Will I ever parry anything with a buckler?

-Regarding Sisters of Sigmar, the book says "Steel Whip Range: Close" but I've seen websites and things talk about Steel Whips and a range of 4". What are they talking about and where did they get this information from?

-Is equipping low initiative units with a double handed weapon a good idea? I figure if they get charged they are dead anyway. But it also seems like a waste of gold in way.

-Pic related is from the rulebook. What is it talking about? Does that mean if I run Beastmen Raiders and I have 5 Ungor and I want to give ONE Ungor a spear, I HAVE to give all 5 a spear? I thought each model was equipped individually?

That doesn't mean that vampires don't have individuality and their own ideas how to do things. They are not like dwarves and love after a strict code of virtue. The most principled bloodline is the Blooddragons and they are not exactly all noble and chivalrous either.

In 20-30 years, you might be 3D-printing your own shit at home anyway.

>That doesn't mean that vampires don't have individuality and their own ideas how to do things.
See earlier discussion.

>They are not like dwarves and live after a strict code of virtue.

No, the Strigoi as a group are literally driven insane and have become completely deformed due to their adherence to their code and principles.

The strigoi are a much smaller group of much more fanatically devoted individuals than the dwarfs could ever hope to be. They literally do not sire new vampires because it would mean sharing power once they have recreated their homeland and destroyed the other bloodlines.

It's still the same argument. You could say that there's individual dwarfs that would be part of the elven army too, and that there's individual elves that would individual dwarfs join. It's true, but it's also nonsense and you know it.

We're not talking about a specific individual characters within a given narrative, we're talking about Strigoi Ghoul-Kings as nameless mooks that are part of a Carstein (or even more laughable, Kemmler's) army.

Seems interesting. I'll check it out later.

I dunno, if I was a Strigoi I would be more likely to trust Kemmler than other vampires.

Boardgames seems to be thriving, though. So I don't think tabletop will fade away entierly.

i thinnk mordheim/necromund style games will be popular... in online games; bloodbowl too.
in 30 years i'll be dead.
t.40 year old Scotsman... fuck i expect to be dead within 5 years due to this crippling depression

Doesn't the WHRP book about vampires mention that the Strigoi occasionally do create more vampires, with the stipulation that they would have to be very dedicated to the cause of the Strigoi?

You keep on treating this in terms of absolutes, not even considering the various possibilities for how things could be different. And you keep on using this elf and dwarf example, when despite the fueds and bitter hatred between bloodlines, the Strigoi and von Carsteins are far closer, physically and in terms of shared history and culture, than dwarves and elves. And even if 'mooks' are not specific named characters, it doesn't mean they aren't treated as characters in a narrative as far as motivations are concerned. It's not as if the average joe State Trooper has no motivations or goals of his own beyond service.

And you have to remember - the Strigoi are a collection of individuals, not a united group. Part of the lore of the Strigoi is that they are each have different methods of survival or reclaiming their rightful place. The only reason that they can't throw in with a von Carstein is because, you claim, their pride and hatred - but some might chose to overlook that, and if anything the von Carsteins would be the least offending bloodline, being (effectively) the newest one with no tie into the fall of Mourkain.

>Additionally the other vampires detest Strigioi

Yeah, there's basically a deal where if anyone is caught helping or otherwise working with the Strigoi, the other bloodlines will descend upon them like a pack of wolves.

It's why the Necrarchs, who are arguably the only ones that do not hate (or care about) the Strigoi, and possibly the only ones the strigoi doesn't specifically hate, also refuse to help the Strigoi or offer them sanctuary.

The Necrarchs and the Strigoi are the only ones I can see working together, at all. Or at least the only ones I could see some form of alliance between where you'd be able to say that "Yeah, there's some unspecified strigoi ghoul-kings working in this, wanting revenge against the bloodlines that screwed them".

But that's still pretty iffy, because the Necrarchs want to fly under the radar. If they would ally with the Strigoi and risk getting wiped out by their own kin, it would have to be pretty fucking serious and the Necrarchs would be in need of some serious fucking firepower.

There's a pretty good (for the black library) book about Strigani out there that paints Strigoi being pretty unified in their own way.
It's called ancient blood or something IIRC

>Doesn't the WHRP book about vampires mention that the Strigoi occasionally do create more vampires, with the stipulation that they would have to be very dedicated to the cause of the Strigoi?

Yes, after mentioning just how incredibly rare this would be.

>You keep on treating this in terms of absolutes, not even considering the various possibilities for how things could be different.

Not at all. Things could be different, but it would have to be for a reason. This is a highly irregular situation.

>the Strigoi and von Carsteins are far closer, physically and in terms of shared history and culture

No, not really. By that argument, the elves and dwarves are the same because both were created by The Old Ones and they have a shared history and culture.

>And you have to remember - the Strigoi are a collection of individuals, not a united group.

This is true for practically any group. By that logic, elves should have Hochland Long-Riflemen, the Lizardmen should have Steam Tanks, and the Ogre Kingdoms should have Halfling Field-Wardens. It's a preposterous.

Also
See previous discussion.

Yeah, it's Ancient Blood. Pic related.

>the von Carsteins would be the least offending bloodline, being (effectively) the newest one
The Blood Knights are effectively by far younger. It's kinda sad, because the founder of the Blood Knights were beholden to Lahmia, but ultimately, it was the Strigoi that created a Kingdom suitable to his ideals (only feeding on criminals, etc).

it's been a long time since i played WHFB, but I had armies based on Skull Pass. roughly from what I remember a nice army was:

DWARFS, 2-ish boxes
1 runelord converted from bfsp dwarf lord
1 bsb thane converted from bfsp dwarf lord
40 warriors (use the pony carts as fillers)
2x10 handgunners
1x 10 miners
2x cannons
EXTRA
1 or 2 gyrocopters
20 ironbreakers

ALTERNATIVES:
as heroes:
1 dwarf lord + shieldbearers converted from 2 warriors
break the 40 man block into 2x20 man blocks
---

(orcs and) GOBLINS, 2-ish boxes
1 night goblin warboss
1 night goblin bsb
2 lv2 mages
2x20 night goblin archers
1x50 night goblin spears
1x3 trolls
Build 2-4 spear chukkas, 2 doom divers and 2 rock lobbas from leftover sprue
Convert some fanatics from night goblins and balls of putty

EXTRAS
1 black orc hero as bsb
a heavy hitting unit (savage orcs, black orcs, etc)
squig manglers

I may have that (in french), it was around 2005 or 2006 in the WD. I can try to find it when I get home. It was a very fun list from the time the WD was good.

For Empire, Warlord Landsknetch are basically better and cheaper infantry.

ah, my first rulebook

>tfw still have the real book
feels fucking good

Just because a reason wasn't provided, doesn't mean that there isn't one. A few examples were argued in the previous discussions, but they keep on being dismissed out of hand.

Dwarves and elves have a few points where their history insersects, while all Vampire bloodlines are from Lahmia and have a strong history in the Empire.

You're taking the argument made about the Strigoi as individuals and twisting it. The point was that some Strigoi might see working alongside or for others a way to accomplish their own goals, and you go off on a tangent. As well, while a Steam Tank might be too much, there are such things as mercenaries. If an elf and his dragon can be a mercenary, a Strigoi can be a servant of a von Carstein.

And all this is ignoring that Total War Warhammer is a game, and it will sometimes chose gameplay over lore, or may not have even taken WHRP lore into account, instead looking at army books and more vague expressions of the fluff.

>Just because a reason wasn't provided, doesn't mean that there isn't one.

So, Hochland Long-Rifles for the Lizardmen, and High Elven Loremasters for Bretonnia, and maybe some unnamed dark riders from the dark elves in The Empire.

Nothing weird about that at all, by your logic.

>And all this is ignoring that Total War Warhammer is a game, and it will sometimes chose gameplay over lore, or may not have even taken WHRP lore into account, instead looking at army books and more vague expressions of the fluff.
It's not ignoring that at all. Don't pretend like the Strigoi had to be there.

The story he referenced that served as an inspiration for the Necrarch and Nehekhara was pretty enjoyable. I would dare say it's recomended reading for people that enjoyed the fluff period around the late 90's and early 2000's. It's only 15 minutes of your time.

>eldritchdark.com/writings/short-stories/61/the-empire-of-the-necromancers

>Hochland Long-Rifles for the Lizardmen
fine by me

>while all Vampire bloodlines are from Lahmia and have a strong history in the Empire.

That's just wrong. There's no direct link between Von Carsteins and Lahmia (the city), unless they did some end-times shit about that or something.
Only they and I guess Strigoi are really connected to the Empire. Blood Dragons are more linked with Brettonia and Lahmians and Necrarch are basically all over the place. Lhamians specifically have their base in an old dwarven hold and took the throne of Kislev once, while their infiltration in the empire is/was way more low-key.

Apparently they state Vlad is actually Vahanesh of Nehekhara in one of the WFRP supplements; my bad.
He was always just described as "of mysterious origin" in the armybooks though.

The implications of Vashanesh being Vlad was also fairly obvious in the Liber Necris, where I think he is first mentioned. He has the Carstein ring, he moves up into what would become the Empire and later falls in love with a mortal woman that he takes as his vampire bride.

I had completely forgotten about any mention of the ring before Vlad became Vlad 2bh.

fimir are the best

Is GeeDubs still making Fantasy models? I was considering getting into it if it isnt dead.

A lot of the WHFB minis are still avaliable.

Get second hand or from FLGS. Don't direct support smegmar

Why did people hate Zoats? I did even read somewhere that Fimir were created explicitly in response to the Zoats.

I mean, I find both races pretty uninteresting, but zoats don't look in any way worst or better than green ugly cyclops.

Probably because the Zoats looks sily and dumb.

I made a Zealot for a new WFRP2e campaign and I'm thinking of going Friar next (not Flagellant due to the insanity requirement which might take forever) and then up the divine caster branch until the end. But is divine casting actually worth the investment? It seems pretty lacking at a glance.

7th edition ogre guy here. Can someone clear up the moving and charging rules between editions?
Iirc in 7th you declared charges, and you couldn't measure. After charges resolved everything else moves.
What are problems with this system?

I have never played 8th but from what I understand you could measure, but I heard from FLGS manager that melee units would Mexican standoff 12" from each other until shooting killed everything else. Is this the case? What is best rules for movement?

What is it about monstrous sires?

There's Ghrandukker, father of trolls
Kalgalanos the Black, father of dragons and obvious Ancalagon the Black ripoff
Krakanrok the Black, father of dragon ogres

Any others? What was the giant Gotrek and Felix encountered in Giantslayer?

>Tfw even 40k is starting to dry up.
Seeing as this was the best year for 40k sales in the entire history of GW, I don't think that's quite accurate.

I don't know where they go tho. They may be next armies because playerbase dwindled totally.

Tourney scene here ceased to exist. Game is absent on conventions and from FLGS.

Where do you love ve? Here in dallas 40k is huge.

*live

>What are problems with this system?
that people were practically able to measure without the tape and played accordingly, preventing a great deal of charges by placing units exactly 1" away or something like that

Kings of War my man, it's got a pretty good following in a lot of places

Same here except I had mine a little earlier. Here in 217 there really was never much for fantasy, at least not at my FLGS. Now all my game store friends are riding age of sigmar nuts and all my real friends aren't interested enough to invest in their own army

Our store is having a Renaissance with 9th age.

I've seen Napoleonic Empire armies, Golem orcs, Kislevite Vampire Counts, and some other pretty good stuff. We just like being able to use so many varied models.

So inexperienced players would work as intended? I have to imagine even veterans could misjudge a distance. Was there no variable to charges or marches at that time? I can't remember

>Was there no variable to charges or marches at that time?
there was a rule preventing people from marching if an enemy is within 6", but apart from that random movements were limited to special rules and fleeing units

I'm not sure if there's a War Kings community around here. Might be a viable option if I can be assed to learn the rules, which from what I understand are pretty straightforward. I think if I was going to play something other than 8E I'd be taking a stab at 9th Age though.

Nope.

Thing with 6th and 7th is that a failed charge was bloody awful and you'd get out manouvered by great players.

8th went to far the other way, the random distance was fine, but recovering from a failed charge or overrun was way to easy. Reduced tactics heavily in favour of just loading up a deathstar unit and whomping people.

I think this is going to change with the threat of the 40k end times event. I still see it played at my store, but it used to be every table 40k. Now it's only 3 or 4, with the rest Armada or some skirmish games

I feel like they were designed by someone trying to make something unique rather than something interesting. You have those weird rhino feet, a lizard face...I don't know much about their lore, but they obviously proved unpopular enough that they never got revived, where even Fimir got a second chance or two, which I feel they deserve: they're a little more interesting, and they fit more with the setting instead of just being vaguely there.

Though I think you could argue Dragon Ogres are their spiritual descendants, with less uniqueness but more metal and memorability.

Personally, I can't wait for 40k to get to the point that WFB is like for me, where I can just headcanon and ignore everything I don't like.

In a weird way, I think WFB is a bit more enjoyable now for me than when it was actually alive, because I can actually discuss the things that interest me instead of being forced to continually debate whatever new rules or lore comes out. It never got to the level of 40k and all the primarch shitposting, but anything close to that is finally over and done with.

>Is GeeDubs still making Fantasy models?
in some ways, yes

this is so much better than the shitty outdated 30 year old shit that was shit even 10 years ago.

lets not exaggerate now

My only complaint about the new model is that the older one has an intelligent look in it's eye, while the new one looks like a dumb beast.

Sweet Christmas, that is a sexy daemon birdman.

yeah whoever design this should be killed honestly, this is standard WOWtier shit with no soul. I haven't seen a decent model since 5th honestly.
I don't get how people can even want to buy some shit tier bandai toy like that.

Pic related is what a godly sculpt look like,

>this is standard WOWtier shit with no soul
none made such a claim

I just did ?

(you) sure did.

I like my own Lord of Change better.

Man this takes me back those 1990s days in high school. I remember thinking how expensive those blister packs with 2 forest goblin spider riders were. I think they were $8

Frostgrave only has progression for the wizard and his apprentice. The rest of your warband doesn't get any better no matter how many battles.