mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous, on /5eg/....
Give me your horse and steed stories, /5eg/.

Other urls found in this thread:

5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/classes.html#Paladin,Oath of Treachery (UA)
engl393-dnd5th.wikia.com/wiki/Feats
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>party trying to drive bandits out of a keep
>half talks with the guards while the other half goes around to the back entrance
>entrance leads to a stable
>Arcane Trickster sends his familiar (a weasel) in under the back entrance doors, fully stealthed
>commands him to run up the leg of a horse
>horse gets spooked
>lashes out with a hoof attack
>critical hit
>bandit immediately killed by spooked horse burst out of the stable and trampling him to death before a single shot is fired

That's a good player and an even better DM. I'm glad you can enjoy quality games.

My Druid ride his raven familiar as steed while he's wildshape in a mouse form.

he is the same character I used in our mouse guard campaign

Alright /5eg/. My players got a Oasis Vampire in a bag of holding, don't ask how, and the only difference between that and a regular vampire is that it's a desert vampire and it can walk in sunlight and it has a sand form instead of a mist form, and it absorbs moisture through its bite instead of blood (inflicting exhaustion on failed con saves).

It is now residing in my Level 3 Player's bag of holding in its sand form and technically by RAW it will die in two hours from not returning to its place of rest, but that is kind of boring.

Any suggestions for what I should do with it? Or should I just let it die inside (they don't really know it's a vampire)
If it factors into your decisions, there is also 100 pounds of rot grubs inside the bag.

Two options I can think of. One, let the vampire hibernate as sand until they let it out. Maybe it needs a little moisture before it comes back to, uh, undeath

Second option, if you're feeling nasty have the vampire die but before doing so, turn all the rot grubs into vampiric rot grubs that can fly and burrow into their victims and turn them into vampires. Unleashing that shit in the middle of a town could fuck up the entire place.

Rot grubs eat the sand, become vampiric super-grubs.

What's the tankiest possible Sorcerer you can make? Shadow Sorc seems the obvious choice for that "lmao fuck dying" ability, but what kind of multiclassing cheese can you make?

Why can't the vampire just mistform out of the bag?

Draconic has that extra AC and hit point.

6 levels of paladin for Charisma to saving throws would be a good start.

Why not seven for that aura?

I run the Bag of Holding as not being able to be opened from the inside, which I believe is what the text supports.

The bag of an extra planar space, basically a pocket dimension

That depends on the archetype. Even paladin levels are better than odd levels for a multiclass sorcerer because odd levels sacrifice spell slot progression in mid levels.

True but I think being able to just say "yeah fuck dying" is stronger overall since you could in theory build yourself to just float near death most of the time.

In fact now that I think of it, Rogue 11 with Prof in CON saves might work.

Every level you add puts off spell progression. Also it's meant to be a Sorcerer multiclass rather than Sorcerer dip, else I'd say Half Orc Shadow Sorc 1 Bearbearian 19 to just say "fuck you" to dying.

>In fact now that I think of it, Rogue 11 with Prof in CON saves might work.
Why? Reliable Talent doesn't work on saves.

Ah my bad, I thought it was "anything you add PROF to" (except attacks)

>making a new 7th level character
>looking for dumb meme builds for fun
>5th Rogue / 2nd Moon Druid
>wild shape into a spider as BA and go behind someone
>wild shape out shortly after
>easiest sneak attack of your life

I mean, its not really efficient or good, but brainstorming is funny.

It's a common mistake. There are 3 categories of d20 rolls:

1. Attack rolls

2. Saving throws
>This includes death saving throws

3. Ability checks
>i.e. everything that's not 1 or 2

Reliable Talent only works on group 3

Normally you would need a hand crossbow to get the extra attack from the 3rd part of the Crossbow Mastery feat but my DM is allowing me to use any ranged weapon. I'm new to the game and am curious as what a good or even best option would be. I know there are multiple choices for bows and crossbows, what would you guys recommend? Also worth mentioning, I'll have Sharp Shooter and with how I've planned out my build plus my DM's house rules I'll have a good amount of extra attacks.

favored soul with heavy armor proficiency

Get 1 more level of Druid for pass without trace. Crag cat form + Pass without trace = undetectable by mundane and magic.

You forgot "rolling them randomly while bored"

Hand crossbow IS the best one handed ranged weapon though. Pretty sure the idea there is to dual wield hand crossbows Van Helsing style

I've researched it heavily and dual wielding 1 hand cross bows is not allowed in the rules. Perhaps if I have a very creative explanation he would allow it but I can't think of anything.

Longbow, obviously.

So your DM want hand crossbow to be a garbage trap choice? Was he playing Pathfinder before or something?

How is it not allowed? It's a light one handed weapon.

You don't need 2 hand crossbows to benefit from Crossbow Expert. The one you fired for your regular action shot(s) will work for the bonus action shot.

Heavy crossbow has best damage, longbow has best range. Take your pick.

You need a free hand to load weapon with ammunition quality.

Be a Thrikreen?

5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/classes.html#Paladin,Oath of Treachery (UA)

Added support for linking to specific subclass filters without just a lazy number ID.

>The one you fired for your regular action shot(s) will work for the bonus action shot.
RAW yes, RAI, no
Not like its going to break the game though

If they're already loaded before combat there's no problem for the first round at least
Some DMs let their players fluff around reloading (eg: tinkerer made hip reloaders) because again, 2d6 piercing damage in a round isn't going to ruin combat

> RAI, no
HAHAHAHAHAHA.

He thinks he know RAI better than the author of the rule.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Doing gods work

So I just talked to my DM and he said he's fine with me dual wielding 1 handed crossbows, I just need to buy my second one. So this would be better than using a regular crossbow or bow? Being new to the game I don't know the benefit of the two 1 handed crossbows. Also the reason he allowed it was because I mentioned Van Hellsing so thanks to the guy who brought him up.

so i know there's like 5 levels of the Mystic openly available but is there anything on the Sohei?

TBF, after the kensai shenanigans, I don't really trust either Mearls or Crawford rulings anymore. It isn't unreasonable to assume that after Mearls and Crawford didn't know how their own game worked in one area, they might be similarly ignorant in other areas.

>RAW yes, RAI, no
RAW depending on how you read it due to weird wording.

RAI definitely yes, as covered in Sage Advice.

How would it be a trap option?

no, just that it's a fighter subclass with psionics

There is no mechanical benefit to using two hand crossbows instead of one. You make the same number of attacks with Crossbow Expert in either scenario. The guy who said anything about it doesn't know shit about the rules of the game.

Do you not understand what test material is? Crawford has a consistent record on rulings for published material.

>then saying "I rolled a 25 on my perception roll (that the DM didn't ask for)"

Oh neat, I didn't know they covered that on SA and in the latest errata

Either way the feat's wording was a train wreck and basically came down to DM's choice

dang, my campaign is coming up soon

well, it's an archetype so i guess i can start and hope i get to level 3 around february when it comes out

From Sage Advice:

Does Crossbow Expert let you fire a hand crossbow and then fire it again as a bonus action? It does! Take a look at the feat’s third benefit. It says you can attack with a hand crossbow as a bonus action when you use the Attack action to attack with a one-handed weapon. A hand crossbow is
a one-handed weapon, so it can, indeed, be used for both attacks, assuming you have a hand free to load the hand crossbow between the two attacks.

I assume there is a mechanical benefit to using a regular crossbow/longbow compared to a 1 handed crossbow? The crossbow mastery feat normally forces you to use a 1 handed crossbow to get your bonus attack so it makes sense.

Because there is no point in using a hand crossbow now. It's only niche is that bonus attack you get from crossbow expert.

If every range weapom can do it too, why would you go for the weapon with lowest damage dice and shortest range?

Hey /5eg/, what are your thoughts on Shillelagh builds? Namely, how do you keep them competitive?

I'm imagining you'd need to use Booming Blade and Polearm Master, but what else am I missing?

Longbows need one less feat than crossbows to be optimized. If you're using your bonus action for something else consistently, then longbows and heavy crossbows are better than hand crossbow. (i.e. Swift Quiver, Bardic Inspiration, Spiritual Weapon, etc.)

>competitive

Crawford's tweets misunderstood core concepts of the monk class, and how they would interact with the test materials.

Fucking up that bad is not a good indicator of talent, especially compared to dmsguild material which is consistently better designed and interacts with the rules in sane ways that reflect knowledge of the system being designed for.

They're cheesy for very little gain.

The problem is that before this was ever published Mearls said on twitter that he'd rule that it has to be a second weapon. Crawford disagreed, and then published that in SA

>dmsguild material which is consistently better designed

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Booming blade doesn't synergize well with PAM. Bonus attack only trigger off attack action. Casting a cantrip isn't attack action.

>especially compared to dmsguild material which is consistently better designed
Alright boys, pack it up. It's just bait.

Mearls is consistently wrong on rulings though and contradicts explicit rules in the books.

Yes, competitive. I'm not looking to top DPS charts, but add in a strong melee presence on my nature cleric, and I'm curious if it's worth investing into.

> DMS
This triggered me...
That artificer class which is a better wizard that have free access to every spell in the game and +INT to attack with firearm at level 1.....

How is that a trap though? That just means the weapon is inferior to other weapons, but in a really obvious to see way. What kind of idiot would try to maximize damage by taking the obviously lowest damage lowest range range weapon?
A trap option would be something like your weapon seemingly doing higher damage, but not having access to a feat, which ultimately results in you doing less damage with it. Oh wait, that's currently every ranged weapon but crossbows.

The vampires does not have mistform.

You want to b know how I can tell you haven't read any of the recent UA?

Because Diablo 3 make people think hand crossbow is cool.

Stop

Clerics don't do strong melee presence, they're casters. If you want the other side of martial divine caster, go paladin. But shillelagh works great in a pinch for nature clerics - probably even better than it does on a druid.

also witch hunters in Warhammer?

If you are a cleric, dont bother getting PAM. Cast spiritual weapon instead.

What are those feats? I don't see them on this list.
engl393-dnd5th.wikia.com/wiki/Feats
I'm playing a variant human battlemaster fighter if that matters.

Why is bigby's hand so good and makes your strength monkey completely redundant to boot? How can wizards and bards keep getting away with this?

Swift Quiver and Spiritual Weapon are spells
Bardic Inspiration is a Bard ability

That's damn good advice, and exactly what I was looking for. Spiritual weapon also doesn't require concentration, so if you precast shillelagh, you can add something else, like spirit guardians, into the mix.

(You)

It's a 5th level spell that requires concentration and only lasts a minute

How many times per day does your barbarian need to stack boulders for more than a minute?

I've heard that Lore Bard is this edition's standout class. What makes Bard so goshdarn good, and is it such a big difference compared to the other base classes that one may consider toning down some of their features?

Why is it a sin for a powerful spell to be better than a single person at stacking fucking boulders?

Lore bards can gain access to any spell in the game, starting at 6th level. This makes them extremely versatile. Their 3rd-level debuff abilities and skills are nothing to sneeze at, either.

However, they're not so versatile or strong in nay single area that they can overshadow any other class for long. Their spell-stealing is still limited enough that any single bard won't be outshining other classes. Bards shine best in a party they can support.

Unfortunately none of those apply to my fighter. Knowing my class and race of variant human allowing me to get crossbow mastery and sharpshooter somewhat early, what weapon would you recommend?

If you're still the same user as then Heavy Crossbow is the best damage, since your DM is letting you do the bonus action with any ranged weapon.

Otherwise, it's a single hand crossbow.

ForeverDM here.

Any actually good online character sheets that do some autofilling? Would help speed up the process of NPC creation.

>Cantrip
>Shocking Grasp
>Lightning Lure

>1st level
>Chromatic Orb

>2nd level
>nothing

>3rd level
>Call Lightning
>Lightning Bolt

Kinda wanna homebrew a spell so lightning gets something at level 2, but then there's already chromatic orb which works for everything

Why aren't you just using the NPC stat blocks in MM and VGM?

Why? You have good spell choices at level 2. It's a good idea to pick some non-damage spells.

This. Use statblocks for NPCs, not character classes

Well, I normally do, it is just this would help expedite the process of more specific or flavored NPCs is all.

Pick a second level damaging spell
Make it lightning
Call it something else

Not really, maybe a couple years ago. People used to think Lore Bards and Moon Druids were over powered.

Turns out they kinda stink at high levels, system mastery, optional rules, new splat has pushed them out. Innate Magic feat(Hex) and magic items(wands, scrolls ect) replace a lot of the unique power lore bards have. Players also have a better understanding of action economies, the interaction of spells and have a taste for magic items.

Lore Bard and Moon Druids are very good choices for low magic campaigns or grapple/support builds, they're not considered God Tier anymore though. The current meta at most tables these days seems to be Warlocks, Vengeance Paladins and Ranged Fighters/Revised Ranger being considered top shelf.

Hungry, bloodless (in this case waterless), was killed while crawling back to his oasis "coffin"

Just switch Scorching ray into Zapping ray. Reduce the damage dice since lightning resistance isn't as common as fire.

Lore Bard is the best counterspell and dispel.

Jack of all trade apply to all ability check including Initiative check and counterspell/dispel check.

>Initiative check
No such thing. Initiative is not an ability check.

> 5e
> magic items
> Warlock is meta
Ahahahahahahaha

You might want to actually read the rulebook and double check your infomation before you start arguing.

>making a DMPC
>mfw

Use Forged Anvil.

Another idea - reskin shatter, switch con save to dex save, dump the disadvantage for everything but metallic creatures, and lose the item damage. EZPZ

>Initiative determines the order of turns during combat. When combat starts, every participant makes a Dexterity check to determine their place in the initiative order.

Starting my first DnD session tomorrow. Warlock pretending to be a bard. Really wanted the charlatan background, so I ended up with the sleight of hand skill, which is evidently useless. Should I try to convince the DM to let me take a different skill?

>he doesn't have any magic items
>he thinks a charisma caster that regains spell slots on a short rest and has ridiculous ability interactions is bad

What's it like over in Paying for Friends League these days? Did anyone at the table read the book yet?