Arms and Armour thread

Like counting sheep edition

Dumping until I pass out. Will happily take requests.

Other urls found in this thread:

s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/60/dc/3f/60dc3ff72bfd8a27d8717deba3bbf55a.jpg
s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/15/66/85/156685d82cbe6028d86a3d75ff17ecd3.jpg
s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/74/8d/e3/748de387abf0d7284328d291ffa9b875.jpg
s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/80/59/a6/8059a648acc31f322aa8841cae0e9bed.jpg
s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/f9/47/76/f94776afbf19f76d585d8a0220ca206c.jpg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Some time since I participated in one.

Do you have anything Late Bronze Age? Minoa, Mycenae, Troy, Hittites, New Kingdom Egypt, stuff like that.

Most stuff I have is drawings, and very few at that.

The legend in the swords says "No me saques sin razon" or don't unsheath me without reason. The handle is tipically North African, like a nimcha.

I have some swords and a few pieces of bronze armor (mostly Classic Greek tough).

Early swords were quite tiny for modern people, but we are abnormally large right now.

Also I have quite the Iron age collection in iberian swords, my prefered kind.

Whatever you got, works, I'm running a bronze age game. Even if it's a fantasy world of my own making, I'm still trying to keep shit historically plausible.

Researching stuff from that time period has proven frustrating.

I feel you, I ever wanted to make a tribal game but no one of my friends is interested in that.
I plunder ethnographical shit for interesting tidbits and stuff, specially Native americans are so full of wierd shit and traditions than it's unbeliable, ancient Europe history is pretty rad but too much nationalism stuff in those (specially with the Celts, everyone is Celt if it's indo-european and not germanic or italic).

If I recall correctly this helmet was a Yan/ancient chienese piece from the warring states.

More swords.

I need Arthurian looking knights!

Were ancient people small then? I mean, medieval people were just as large as we today.

Then again, when agriculture started, starvation was extremely common to the point that archeologists realise now that many nomadic people never saw the value in farming because the farming civilizations around them were filled with starving weak piss farmers.

But that was in the earliest periods of the bronze age. Did farming remain as unpredictable all the way into Antiquity? When did farming become (somewhat) reliable in keeping a population relatively well-fed?

it took quite a long time before they had the technology to make swords longer.

According to sources I remember reading, average height of Ancient Greek skeletons is something like 170 cm for males, and around 180 cm for Germans and Celts. IIRC Egyptians were a bit smaller.

Not that much different from today, Europe's average height is 177 cm these days.

Weapons in those days were a bit smaller because bronze isn't as strong as iron.

Yeah, that makes a lot more sense.

On a different note, does anyone have any really fucking odd ~historical~ weapons or really ornate armour?

It's a real shame that so many (video)game devs go for the World of Warcraft aesthetic for their magical equipment when history is filled with goddamn weird shit that actually IS real and looks like it has +5 necromantic damage.

Dont got it on my computer but I can drop a link or two.
s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/60/dc/3f/60dc3ff72bfd8a27d8717deba3bbf55a.jpg
s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/15/66/85/156685d82cbe6028d86a3d75ff17ecd3.jpg (imagine this being a full lenght sword)
s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/74/8d/e3/748de387abf0d7284328d291ffa9b875.jpg (the idea of a sword made from a precious stone always got me rock hard)
s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/80/59/a6/8059a648acc31f322aa8841cae0e9bed.jpg (From UR)
s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/f9/47/76/f94776afbf19f76d585d8a0220ca206c.jpg

>s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/15/66/85/156685d82cbe6028d86a3d75ff17ecd3.jpg

The odd blade here isn't the blade, it's the scabbard decoration.

yeah, but IMAGINE it is a blade!

Search for negroli armors, that italian loved his ornated stuff.

Does anyone have pictures or info on interesting buckler/parrying shield varieties other than your usual round one?

I'll be getting myself one of these for my birthday.

This one's a given.

Well, what about a cool adarga, tipical leather shield of the berbers and later adopted be Spain for they light cavalry?

The dragones de cuera were the bane of the comanches,apaches and other raiders. For some dumb reason Mexico didn't continue the tradition.

Nice!

>For some dumb reason Mexico didn't continue the tradition.

It's called "Cowboys", user. They just pretended that no Non-Anglo-Saxons had ever been involved and called it a day.

Also I'll post a couple of other buckler varieties I found interesting.

Does anyone have arquebus or other early-ish fire arms?

Also, what's the rule for how new we can ask for stuff? I was kinda looking for Civil War period guns as well.

That's fucking frightening, and I have never seen evidence of bascinet designs like that before.

I've never heard of any formalised rules.

You can ask anything you want. It's only /k/ is the best board for asking for guns.

God, hauberks with plate integrated into it is the sexiest shit. I wish it were more a European thing than kebab because my autism won't let my Scandinavian dwarves to make it their own.

Dude, if you dont mix and match shit until it looks super cool and awesome then you need to eat your meds.

Maybe you mean steel not iron?

Long swords didn't become popular until steel became better known. Because iron swords were bending after a couple of strikes like crazy. Though some iron deposits had carbon infusions and as a result after smelting they were giving low grade steel which was much better than normal iron and bronze weapons.

I thought that was made out of a sawfish rostrum for a second.

>Weapons in those days were a bit smaller because bronze isn't as strong as iron.

Bronze can be decent enough, and we do have some reasonably large blades from the late bronze age.

Long, thin geometries are very difficult to cast though, and bronze was decidedly expensive. On top of that, when that was basically the size a sword just was, there may be some mental inertia to making on a lot larger.

>Though some iron deposits had carbon infusions

That's not going to matter compared to all the charcoal you toss into the furnace for smelting. What matters is the process chemistry within the furnace (balance between temperature, time, oxygen and carbon).

With iron being easier to work than steel, especially if you approach it with bronze in mind, early furnaces would also most likely have been set up to intentionally minimize the final carbon content.

It most likely is.

Yes

Knock knock, it's the Byzantines! We're here to fuck up your ramparts

Does anyone have that image without the text?

I saw a suit of Roman armor at the Getty Villa that was tiny, for someone ~5'5". Maybe that was an outlier (or just a fake because Getty), but I think they certainly had less nutrition, and given the scale of these weapons it would make sense.

Their metallurgy was, of course, shit in the early Bronze Age, so they probably couldn't make good longswords.

>what could go wrong?

Good to see the thread is still alive a thriving.

I really don't get kris daggers at all. I understand that all of the unusual parts have a specific symbolism, but I don't understand how that translates into them being such weirdly, widely popular weapons. To me they just look goofy and impractical.

Knock Knock, it's the Ottomans! We're to REALLY fuck up your ramparts.

They ceremonial things associated with a regional power, so it had a lot less to do with how well they actually worked and more how good they looked as a dress thing.

The pattern weld works on them are spectacular.

>widely popular
Not at all. They were pretty strictly limited to Indonesia. The Philippine Keris is a very different beast alltogether.

Just hand those poles back when you're done with them, ok?

> Italian grip on sword
> Band-aid on finger

kek