Monero Wallets?

Is there a lightwallet out for XMR yet? How do you guys store your Monero? I really want to get mine off the exchanges.

Other urls found in this thread:

moneroworld.com/#nodes
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I use the GUI one took a long time to sync like 32 gb

Quite fond of Monerujo.

See here: moneroworld.com/#nodes

Personally I run a full node on a VPS.

Download the gui wallet from getmonero
Then set the daemon to a remote node it'll be much quicker and is still fairly private (the remote node could potentially see your ip, but will know nothing about the wallet balance ir incoming and outgoing transactions)

Is MyMonero not as safe of an option?

To what degree?

I'm with fagboy here. Works great sent and received fine.

i have so much fucking monero on exchanges. making my palms sweaty :\

I wouldn't trust an online wallet in general. In case of mymonero you have to trust
- that the admin does not inject javascript to steal your seed
- that the admin is competent enough to properly secure the server so that a hacker can't inject javascript
- that cloudflare has mechanisms in place which won't allow rogue employees to inject javascript

On /r/monero you will once in a while find stories about stolen funds. The recent ones are from phishing domains, but it already happend before.

This. Just bite the bullet and sync the blockchain in the GUI, it's not that bad. You can do what suggested to speed it up if you'd like.

ive been doing this for the past 5 days. i got like 200,000 blocks left and it keeps switching from the damon syncing to saying im connected, but never finishing the sync

why is this software so outdated

Is it the latest version and/or did you have a crash while syncing?

no crashing. although uses up more and more cpu resources the closer i get to finishing. seems like a glitch. version 0.11.1.0
just DLed last week

You may need to start over because that shouldn't be happening, could mean your sync was corrupted. Happened to me once when I had an unexpected hard crash once. You'll need to delete the hidden bitmonero log file in your monero folder.

Agree that they really have no excuse for not making this GUI more norman friendly. Defeats the whole purpose of having a GUI if you don't have EZ mode options like "hey, would you like to sync the blockchain faster by connecting to a trusted node? yes or no" or "your daemon sync appears to be corrupted, your sync will be restarted

The CPU usage spikes are pretty normal. If it's fussing at all with connecting/disconnecting I'd restart because something is obviously not right.

>i have so much fucking monero on exchanges. making my palms sweaty :\

I put all of mine on the GUI wallet and I'm technologically retarded. Why not do that for peace of mind?

I didn't download the daemon, just connect to a remote node, so much easier

I do that as well, but to use it I tunnel the port to connect to it from home. Is there a better way without exposing the port to everyone (which would let anyone kill monerod)?

Literally the only reason I don't do that is because of the Jewish extraction fee that's completely out of proportion with the actual Tx fee.

--block-sync-size #number
I have no idea what the default is but I could never finish because it's trying to download too much shit at the same time. When it doesnt get far enough after a time limit, it discards everything and tries again. I think. I have no fucking idea what I'm talking about

My download is 5Mb/s and I had to use --block-sync-size 10

You can just set firewall to only allow connections from your home IP, but I wouldn't call it better.

>which would let anyone kill monerod
Wasn't there some restricted RPC option that blocks those control functions?

Huh, yeah I could do that. I'll do that now since there's no downside (firewall).

Yeah I think so but I don't know about it. How do you handle using your remote node? Or do you just run the wallet on there too (wtf man).

I ssh tunnel to mine too.

There's a --restricted-rpc option for public nodes that should disable the administrative functions of the rpc.
Keep in mind though that there's bots scanning the network for publicly accessible nodes and listing them on websites, so exposing the node will result in random people wasting your VPS bandwidth.

Yeah I don't really want everyone using it. I was just hoping there was a smart way, like with credentials. But the firewall method is fine. If I'm elsewhere I can always tunnel.