Map general: modern and future settings edition

This is a thread for posting, sharing, discussing, giving advice, and sharing stories and experiences related to maps for RPGs. too scale maps and things that can be converted into maps for positioning tokens, as well as "setting maps" and in universe maps.

- maps with grids on them
- things that can easily be fitted with a grid to make a map
- tips and information on drawing maps, figuring out the scale of things on something you want to turn into a map, and other processes of map making
- analog and digital tools for making maps
- and more

Some digital tools for making maps or things you use with maps like tokens.
RPtools rptools.net/toolbox/ (I mostly use token tool for making tokens to use in Roll20 but I installed maptool and am trying to learn how to use it. Apparently before Roll20 was a thing people not only used it to make maps but to host games. There are downloadable libraries of resources for maptools floating around on the internet)
CS2d cs2d.com/ (the walls will be abnormally thick but it’s relatively easy to make maps to a consistent scale using this)
Roll20 app.roll20.net/ (generates grids that you can adjust the size of as well as what one square or hex represents in length. This means that if you find a top down drawing done to scale and can work out the relative length of a standard measurement on it [say 5 feet] you can adjust grid settings on Roll20 to make a useful map out of it.)
Please do feel free to share more advice or tools if you have them.
It’s generally more difficult to find maps for modern or future settings then it is for fantasy settings. So any advice or sources you have on those would be greatly appreciated.
For instance if you are looking for scale drawings of modern cargo ships to use as a map I’ve found “general arrangement and capacity plan” to be a useful term to search for.

wod, traveller, mutants, shadowrun, gurps, dnd, d20, 40k

Other urls found in this thread:

gozzys.com/cave-maps
tao-dnd.blogspot.co.nz/
tao-of-dnd.wikispaces.com/General Index
tao-of-dnd.wikispaces.com/Sheet Maps
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>For instance if you are looking for scale drawings of modern cargo ships to use as a map I’ve found “general arrangement and capacity plan” to be a useful term to search for.

This is one of the drawings I found using that.

Since this plan is metric and the game system I'm using uses imperial, I needed to make a scale indicator for sizing a grid for it.

I did this by opening up the image in GIMP and using the rectangular select tool to measure the the pixels in one of the measured dimensions on the plan. (I used the distance between the AP [aft perpendicular] and FP [fore perpendicular])

GIMP can do measurements in pixels or imperial so after crunching some numbers I was able to figure out how many pixels tall or long 5 feet would be on the image and added a labeled 5 foot bar on to the map to help when scaling the grid in roll20.

For the OP pic map it was easier to convert since all I had to do was make a 5 foot bar in GIMP, shrink it to 1:200 scale, and paste it into the map since the Frasier apartment is labeled as being 1:200 scale.

Here is another.

Those are really nice

lol Europe turned 90 degrees.

Does anybody have advice on where to find floor plans or scale layouts of offshore oil rigs or at least their living quarters area?

Any advice for making a map of a large museum would be greatly appreciated.

what kind of museum is it?

Do you want just the exhibits or do you want all the storage, work, and machinery spaces that the public don't get to see?

What subjects they cover and what exhibits and artifacts they are responsible for will effect how it is set up.

It's intended to be a sort of omnidisciplinary museum. Some history, some science, some art and culture, lots of stuff. I know those aren't really a thing, but being locked in here is intended to be a multi-session event. The idea is three stories and a basement, with two offshoot buildings with corridors leading to them, probably with each floor/building being focused more on a certain field.

And just the exhibits, really: this is supposed to be in the same style as maps that visitors are shown in brochures or on signs, to help them find their destinations. The machinery and whatnot does exist, but it won't be on the maps.

then I would pull up some example floor plan maps and museum maps on google images and take cues from those. and make something similar in Photoshop or GIMP.

IRL museums tend to be limited in subject matter, even the multi story ones.

try searching for maps or floor plans of things like art museums, or maritime museums, air museums, military museums, ect.

How do you store your maps to keep them from getting ruined when you don't have them out on the table?

pvc pipe with slip caps

Great thread, don't die.

Great thread, about ded.

not on my watch

Holy shit 4craft

I played on a different year than this though, I was /toy/

Veeky Forums's plans to go full dorf ultimately failed.

Ooh! i have my new counterstrike map!

Someone made a hex map of the entire world from Avatar: The Last Airbender, anyone have it?

oh and it wasn't the civ 5 map you get when googling it

ooh this is a nice one

TF2 concept map?

Where are the other floors?

What was 4craft?

It was a minecraft server where each board was a faction with it's own island

>Alps
>Protecting Italy
lel

That sounds cool, though potentially prone to problems.

Does anyone have any maps of warehouses?

Or anything warehouse related?

>tools

Have
Random Cave Map Generator
gozzys.com/cave-maps

neat.

>who designed this, an alien?
he was very fond of those fjords.

If you like this, you may be interested in tao-dnd.blogspot.co.nz/ and his habit of writing a million words and creating spreadsheets for trade and... well, not that. But his maps are ridiculous. tao-of-dnd.wikispaces.com/General Index tao-of-dnd.wikispaces.com/Sheet Maps

I'd post the whole world one, but even with blur-o-res it's too large a file.

I hope you brought your towel with you.

>tao-of-dnd.wikispaces.com/General Index tao-of-dnd.wikispaces.com/Sheet Maps

>Page Not Found
>We can't find the page you are looking for. Usually this means you have clicked on a link that no longer goes anywhere; try searching for the information you're looking for in the search box.
>If you need help, please contact us.
>Or you can visit our help area for more information.

neat first floor.

Anybody here hand draw maps?