/tgesg/ - Weekend Elder Scrolls Lore General

>Tabletop/P&P RPGs
[UESRPG - P&P RPG] docs.google.com/document/d/1pTgTN2aJUoY95JtquowagfUJLL7tCQYhzJKcCAcbvio/edit?usp=sharing
[Scrollhammer - Tabletop Wargame] 1d4chan.org/wiki/Scrollhammer_2nd_Edition
Discussion in #Scrollhammer (irc.thisisnotatrueending.com (port 6667))

>Lore Resources
[The Imperial Library] imperial-library.info/
[/r/teslore] reddit.com/r/teslore/
[UESP/Lore] uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page
[Pocket Guide to the Lore] docs.google.com/document/d/1AtsWXZKVqB4Q825_SwINY6z4_9NaGknXgeOknOCDuCU/edit
[Elder Lore Podcast] elderlore.wordpress.com/
[How to Become a Lore Buff] forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1112211-how-to-become-a-lore-buff/

>General Rules
This is NOT /tesg/ minus waifus, so behave properly.
Keep the squabbling to a minimum.
No waifus/husbandos except for Vehk and Vehk

Previous kalpa:

Other urls found in this thread:

newwhirlingschool.com/lessons/15.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for DAGOTH UR DID NOTHING WRONG,he only wanted to EXPEL THE MONGREL DOGS OF THE EMPIRE!

Dagoth Ur

What are daedra?
Why was it possible to become one?
Can you usurp the throne by murdering one of the princes?

I am genuinely confused.

>not UR A DAGETH

>What are daedra?
primoridal spirits that didn't participate in the forming of the various races
>Why was it possible to become one?
if you were a spirit before Lorkhan tricked everyone into creating Mundus and you said "nah" to him
>Can you usurp the throne by murdering one of the princes?
no, they will eventually regenerate/come back into physical existence

Daedra are expressions of the fundamental force of change.

It is possible to become one through mantling. Think of it like this: the world is a dream. In this dream there are several characters. Have you ever had a dream where one character shifted to another, because while dreaming you forgot the difference? That's mantling. A character in a dream does enough things like B character in the dream, and the dreamers forget the difference.

>if you were a spirit before Lorkhan tricked everyone into creating Mundus and you said "nah" to him
I mean, how did Champion of Kvatch became the Sheogorath?
>Inb4 he's just nuts and THINKS he's Sheo

I am unreasonably upset that this sword didn't make it into the game. A modder needs to get to work.

This is one of the best explanations of mantling I've seen on this board. Although thanks to the "lol look at me how metaphysical and MK, /v/ won't understand lmao" posters, there was not much competition.

>Inb4 he's just nuts and THINKS he's Sheo
that's literally how mantling () works. in TES lore everybody and everything is just a projection of the Dreamer, and if you can make the Dreamer think that you are something else, than you literally become that thing. in the case of Sheogorath and the Champion, they seemed to have assumed facets of each other and fused into one entity.

Ironically the explanation you just praised is MK as fuck, dumbass.

metaphysics are fun as fuck stop shitting on them
you can talk about metaphysics without getting as deep up your own asshole as kirkbride

>Can you usurp the throne by murdering one of the princes?
It happened in Oblivion. You became Sheogorath because there was a void that needed to be filled and you were convinced you became Sheogorath.

yes but you need to do more than just kill a daedra to assume it's position, otherwise Vivec would be half of the entire pantheon just by himself

Soooo... mantling is a sort of... reincarnation? Except the original being is still there when the new one is born.

Iirc, most of the forms of mantling we've seen have been mortals to divine beings, so less reincarnation and more ascension.

But also in a way, death. The champion of cyrodil now behaves exactly like sheogorath, but with vague memories of being a mortal. His or her original personality has been almost entirely forgotten by the dreamer.

Kind of, but much more literal. It has to do with the fact that reality in TES is a dream, and the only reason it looks/feels/acts like reality is because Lorkhan, a trickster god, created Mundus, the realm of matter, which is basically the solar system that Nirn, the planet that the games take place on, is in. Outside of Mundus, it's all magic bullshit, and outside of the magic bullshit it's the Dreamsleeve, and there is nothing outside of that because that's all that exists. Mantling is literally just tricking God into thinking that you're somebody else, but it's not as simple as putting on their clothes; you have to become so alike to that thing that there is functionally no difference at all between you, and the dreamer just assumes that you two are the same thing.

Which providence has the best weather? Also do natural disasters like earthquakes and hurricanes/tsunamis exist in-universe? I can't think of a single book that touches on a hurricane.

Post-Talos Cyrodiil looks extremely comfy. Probably Summerset Isle is the second best. Though I'd personally prefer Solitude because sea+cold is amazing.

>best weather
High Rock
>natural disasters
Nirn doesn't work like Earth, there are no shifting plates to cause earthquakes/tsunamis. Hurricanes were made by Maormer in ESO but they're not natural. The only natural disasters that happen are Volcanoes, because Lorkhan's heart is a dick.

But Red Mountain exploded long after the Nerevarine destroyed Lorkhan's Heart in the Third Era, no?

Bullshit.
>Mehrunes Dagon seems to prefer natural disasters—earthquakes and volcanoes—for venting his anger.
>Mehrunes Dagon is the god of destruction. He is associated with natural dangers like fire, earthquakes, and floods.

>sea+cold is amazing
No, man
There's literally nothing worse than cold weather combined with sea wind

Different cocks for different folks, man.

Red mountain erupted only about 10 years after.
>natural
>caused by a God stomping about

"is associated with" != "exclusively causes"
Not to mention that Mehrunes is a natural part of this universe, as he embodies the very concept of Destruction.

>Red mountain erupted only about 10 years after.
No, it erupted after the Ministry of Truth fell, and there would be no cause for it to erupt without Lorkhan's Heart if there were no natural disasters. The Mountain is also STILL active in Skyrim.

Hey guys I've been getting the itch to boot up Morrowind again and I was wondering how well OpenMW was doing and what the compatibility level with mods is?

I'm also not sure if I want to go as a Redoran or Telvanni. I know that Redoran has one really good mod but that Telvanni has to that are imcompatable? Which of th emods do you guys reccomend?

Sorry, I know that this isn't exactly on-topic for this thread but I figured it was the best place to ask from a roleplaying perspective.

>original being is still there
The one who mantles and the one who is manteled are the same.
You walk like them until they walk like you. Act like a god until you become a god.

So no, it's not quite like reincarnation.

>But also in a way, death
It's certainly not entirely unlike identity death.

>No, it erupted after the Ministry of Truth fell
And when was this, genius?

After Neravarine destroyed the final horcrux and had sweet sweet sex with Ron Weasley' sister.

You're still ignoring the fact that Lorkhan's Heart was already destroyed at the time, genius. What causes volcanic eruptions?

>What causes volcanic eruptions?
The active volcano + large earthquake = big boom. It's not rocket science.

And how do you suppose you have an active volcano without tectonic plates?

>destroyed
Nah, it's not destroyed, just unshackled from its imprisoning enchantments. You can't destroy the Heart of the World.

Heart of a dead god. I'm not even sure Tamriel has plates.

Sure it has tectonic plates, they're just the scales of Shor's armour

user, those are pectonic plates.

Lorkhan's heart is absolutely not destroyed. That bum... ba-bum... is all over the place in Skyrim's music.

It's just not where Auri-el threw it anymore.

Ayyyyy

the user i was responding to said that Nirn had no tectonic plates, but it's impossible to have an active volcano that erupts and stays active without tectonic plates. I know that Lorkhan's Heart wasn't actually destroyed, otherwise the planet would fucking fall apart, but it's definitely not in Red Mountain anymore, so it can't be the reason for the eruptions.

>t's impossible to have an active volcano that erupts and stays active without tectonic plates
The world is literally made from the corpses of godlike beings. In other words:
M A G I C
A
G
I
C

Sure it's C0DA, but in it Nirn looks like this.

Maybe there indeed are plates, slowly dwifting due to the Wheels movement.

tes lore is more than just "lol it's magic dont gotta explain shit"

>The world is literally made from the corpses of godlike beings
>is literally made from the corpses
>literally
you seem to have missed the point of TES lore, user
it's not literal

Or maybe just the wheels themselves.

you mean like the wheels are nirn's plates?

Their world doesn't function in the same way ours does. The volcano formed because the heart was placed there, not because some plate moved.

I don't see why there wouldn't be plate tectonics. The plates of our world could conceivably be called the earth's bones and the earthbones are entirely a thing.

If A is equal to B and B is equal to C, A is equal to C. So just cause it's one thing doesn't mean it isn't also another thing.

Right but that doesn't explain why there's lava and shit there in the first place.
Just because it's not our world doesn't mean everything is different.

Or that earthquakes are the results of reverberations through the wheels, like if you punched a clock.

Earthbones are more like laws of physics than physical objects. Consider Y'ffre, who defines growing things like plants and languages.

okay how about we just simplify the argument and say that since there's no proof that there AREN'T tectonic plates, none of this actually fucking matters?

>none of this actually fucking matters?
If you don't want to discuss tes lore, no one is forcing you to be here. Feel free to leave.

but you guys are arguing about something which has never been mentioned in TES lore

C0DA nigga, we make our own lore

Which is why we're trying to use other sources like c0da images to try and explain what we do know.
Ignore this retard

c0da's not canon

>The only way I can have fun is by deepthroating Kirkbride's unwashed cock

seems like today is a bad day for lore

In my headcanon MK keeps a very clean dick

fanfiction isn't lore, user

>derailed by tectonic plates
Sweet irony.

video games are not real
>lore talk is derailment
???

>hurr durr headcanon
>>>/tumblr/

Well, that was embarrassing.

If the shitposters left, I'd like to get back to the idea of wheels causing earthquakes. Makes me wonder if that would leave permanent damage within Nirn.

The blue plates are nice, but the tectonic ones seem to last longer.

I know that, but they're many things. The earthbonrs are the physical laws and they're the aedra and they're the ehlnofey potentially.

They could also literally be the bones of the earth, or plates could exist independently too.

Wheels moving under the crust might create tensions within it, which are occasionally discharged as nirnquakes.

This would be the only perceived tectonic effect, as Nirn is way too young for the continental drift to have any actual relevance.

>Have you ever had a dream where one character shifted to another, because while dreaming you forgot the difference? That's mantling

Shit, yeah. All the time. First you're my best friend from the third grade, but by the end, you're a co-worker of mine, though somehow I still see you as the same person in the dream. Always wondered what that was, didn't know there was a term for it.

>didn't know there was a term for it.
there's not, it's just an analogy

Just got here, did anything important happen last thread?

The names of some daedric siege towers in oblivion are named after natural disasters, tornadoes, earthquakes, hurricanes, and I believe tsunami as well, might be mixed up on that last one. I believe Dagon is in charge of natural disasters, so if he's moody he may conjure up a disaster, but azura /arguably/ assaulted winterhold with extreme waves that eroded the cliffs to fuck with that fuckboy who stole the Star.
Daedra can do them basically, but tamriel lacks real world weather science because magic, so take from that what you will.

I know the Shadowmarks are probably based mostly off of hobo signals, but has anyone ever noticed that the Thieve's Guild logo looks a lot like one of the panels on the Puzzle Cube?

Wonder if Nirn has like a mariana trench, where the gears have torn the sea floor open and ocean life thrives

There's a reference to "Marukh's Abyss" in The Doors of Oblivion book. Might be it.

It's literally an eye.

Maybe...

>The Wheels of Lull now have water damage
>It's impossible to get the finish on the floors fixed, the tile is fucked
>Fucking sload have now taken up residence in the core of Nirn - not even doing anything malicious, just being all slimy and rude
>Memory now has fish swimming around in her databank/face
>Lord Fyr comes by to see the old neighborhood, Tel Fyr is immediately flooded
>Corprusarium is flooded to the top, Yagrum is floating across the seas like a particularly whiny bouy - last seen somewhere around the Topal Sea, yelling at Argonians about tree aliens
>mfw

I'm just imagining Memory and yagrum in those little water-wing floaty things.

>The simplest and most maddeningly complex way to go to Oblivion was simply to cease to be here, and begin to be there.
Don't see much else about the abyss, but the sload sacrificial coral tower seems fun

Dreugh, possibly?

Dreugh have their own Tower, except theirs is inverse, being a bottomless pit on the seafloor.

How would the Thalmor even disable that?

Fill it up with magical sparky concrete.

very very carefully

Do Thalmor even have enough force left to try?
Great war was great but I think altmer birth rates are slow, so in 20 years Empire will be ready for round 2 when Dominion will still suffer from all war loses.

With a really big jar of caulk.

Unless the Stormcloaks win.

Does TES have an actual concrete beginning/end, or is it an infinite recursion thing where there's an endless chain of godheads and guys from their dreams acheiving amaranth and starting their own dreams?

At one point, the Godhead got ko'd by his brother, and started dreaming about Anu, Nir, and Padomey. The end depends on if you accept c0da/Loveletter as being canon or not.

Pee in it.

newwhirlingschool.com/lessons/15.php

Dagoth Ur intended to break the Godhead and mantle it, likely such a action would have resulted in the end of whatever cycles you describe.

Adhering to WGC was a mistake Empire should have allowed worship of Talos in Skyrim and call bluff on banana side.
For love of Dibella, Hammerfell won "on their own", it looks like Dominion don't have any offensive capacity left, their resources spent.

Not this Civil War shit again.

They didn't enforce the WGC until Ulfric held Markarth hostage and forced Jarl Igmund to renounce the pact, which in turn forced the Empire to make a show of force to keep the bluff up long enough to rebuild their garrisons. Even Alvor, a stonch Imperial supporter says that he remembers keeping a shrine in his home when he was younger, and Tulius blatantly gives no fucks about anything other than keeping the Empire in one piece.

And Hammerfelld didn't 'win' anything. Having a faltering rebellion isn't the same thing as taking on an entire nation.

>And Hammerfelld didn't 'win' anything. Having a faltering rebellion isn't the same thing as taking on an entire nation.
Is there an Aldmeri administration in Hammerfall?
No.
So they won, Dominion victory condition was to stop the rebellion. Rebellion victory condition was to force Dominion out.
Dominion was forced out so rebels achieved victory.
They didn't have to do anything more as they get what they wanted of that war so it is a win for them.