Europe

Europe
Japan
Arabia
Egypt
These three account for 95% of fantasy settings. What are some cool cultures that could be used instead?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musa_I_of_Mali
youtube.com/watch?v=I9QuO09z-SI
youtube.com/watch?v=jFp6gpLiKAk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>europe
You mean england, there are next to no books based on the folklore of other european countrys. Want to know why the whitcher was so popular and thought of so diferenet? It was not based on anglo-saxon folk lore
>Arabian
So-so, also a very subsect of arabian mythology

I'd like to see some south american motives, and maybe some stranger african motives

>three
OP. You fucked up. Also, how about ancient India? War elephants, naga's, crazy death discs, flaming four armed mother fuckers, all this crazy shit.

>list 4 settings that are mostly wrong
>These three

wow. open some books, even here on 4 chan there are 5 "How would you run a setting based on XXX ?" thread a day

Could go for some odd twists as well as new inclusions

>Carthage
>Byzantines
>Phoenicians
>Babylonians
>Persians (pre-Islam)
>The Stans
>India under the various warlords
>China under various warlords
>Classic Korea
>Ancient Siam?
>Tibet
>Various Native American Tribes
>Aboriginal Tribes
>Classical African states like Kush, Zimbabwe, Songhai, Mali, and Sokoto, etc.
>The early Frankish kingdom
>The collapsed but still technically Roman Rome?
>Maybe get some more theocratic states?

Byzantium.

Finland

what do you mean other cultures than European?!

This, maybe with Veeky Forums unique twist of the ancient Finnish empire vs Hyperkorea?

Texan culture with Japanese mythology

As a Texan, those two radically conflict with one another. I can't see a realistic way of doing that.

I've always wanted to see a good Mesoamerican setting, containing influences from Mayan, Aztec, Zapotec, and Toltec cultures.

The problem with doing this, however, is that their cultures and mindsets are RADICALLY different from us English-speakers/Europeans, so most people simply don't know how to actually DO it right.

>so most people simply don't know how to actually DO it right.
No people know how to do it at all, actually. There are virtually no primary sources. We understand them for fuck-all.

>Texan culture with Japanese mythology

You can check out Saiyuki for a cribbable idea idea or two. Yeah it's Journey to the West but you ARE flexible enough to know how to tweak and swap out, right?

Pic related.

>There are virtually no primary sources. We understand them for fuck-all.

That's true, but then again the Spanish sources are nowhere near as biased as many people believe, if only because the Spanish had no incentive to lie - any and everything they did was justified because it was done in the name of God and Spain, so why fabricate things? It's not too dissimilar to the Romans in their own histories - they don't shy away from the bad shit, because they believe that anything Rome does to somebody else is because they deserve it.

none of these are interesting nor cool

>Babylon.
>Not Interesting.
kys.

ur a funny dude

Your lack of imagination is so shit that I'm not even going to dignify it with a (You)

Wut?

>Classical African states
>states

Gets me everytime.

>posts a pic of ancient ancient greece but with subhumans instead of greeks
>muh unique setting!!!

Wut? This piece of art was done with info from Herodotus's Histories, specifically things about the Babylonians.
Why? Sure they probably are not on par with Europe in many regards but they forged a fair number of empires, kingdoms, sultanates, caliphates and otherwise over the course of centuries and had contact with the wider world fairly commonly. Hell, an African king crashed the Mediterranean market by flooding it with gold on his Hajj to Mecca as well as establish a major university and several holy sites.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musa_I_of_Mali

t. knows nothing about ancient history

>Byzantium
>Franks
>Post-Roman Empire

Are you really that much of a retard that you can't even shill your amazink yuropeen settings properly?

>That moment when you forget to appraise your jewels and jewelry, so you have to do it literally last second and risk not getting the wife you want.

>Europe is a culture

i know enough to identify pseudo historic bullshit such as interaction between sand niggers and regular niggers

>woohoo christianity!!!!! DEUS VULT XDDD

Pretty much. Or they are grading them to make sure they aren't fake or of poor quality for the sale.

Do you even know where Babylon was and what countries it traded with?

You purposely named Aboriginal tribes.

I would like to see an example of how you would do this.

INDIA, BECAUSE ITS MYTHOLOGY IS PRETTY FUCKING METAL

hmm according to the painting somewhere near what is now modern day congo rep

If you can read Mandarin, then you will find Wuxia or fantasy China made up of 95% of the current literature been produced.
Not even a joke since many of those Chinese produce a chapter nearly daily.

Uhh, China? Oh wait, that accounts for 95% of the remaining 5%. Still too mainstream.

Fucking hipster.

Its Journey to the West with pretty boys effortlessly killing everything in their path and with the super-power to always find the most dramatic high places to stand on for their entrances

Its so much better than the effeminate fop high school shit that permeates most animu nowadays

America

Most of the time Oriental style settings are 90% China with Ninjas and Samurais making up another 9% and if you your lucky a 1% addition from other places. Like you might get Tae Kwon Do as a martial art option in your NotChina or access to Thai ladyboys but never more than that

Poland is a top tier country for all uses, and the shame of the world is that it does not have a higher profile.
Cyberpunk in a post-marxist kleptocrat 80s flavored Poland.
Polish legendary monsters
Polish heroes who bravely fight the muslim hordes and overreaching french and germans.
Poland is the greatest nation in Europe.

Then be the first Polish author to write all that to the masses.

MACEDONIA

Or, if you don't want to be ambitious, just Greece and Scythia

the poltardation is strong with this one

Not a culture, but the Age of Exploration or Neo-Colonialism would make awesome settings to draw inspiration for fantasy from. People charting out the world looking for the Fountain of Youth, a city of gold, the heart of the jungles of Africa where there gorillas are mythical creatures.

Aboriginal shamans who imbue magic into boomerangs and use didgeridoos to summon rainbow snakes, ride Dire Thylacines, and enter/exit 'Dreamtime' to renew their mystical powers?

I really appreciate what this thread is going for, but if I may be contrarian:

You should focus on whatever cultures interest you personally. If you're a history nut and would love to learn about Batricia or something, that's totally fine to add a little spice from what you learn to your game world. But even if your players appreciate it, what if they don't understand it?

The places OP mentioned are very familiar in terms of how their society is and how they live, at least in the media people indulge in. Most people know about knights and samurai, shoguns and caliphs, a vague sense of the crusades. But if you throw something at your players that they can't understand and would have to learn about just to play as, it'd be more difficult on them. And if you just arrange things like familiar lords and ladies but with Indian or African trappings, it's cheaper than you'd really want it to be.

I'm really into stone age, bronze age, mesolithic etc. cultures. I'll dump whatever random ass pics I've got lying around.

tlingit armors

tlingit armor reinforced with chinese qing dynasty coins acquired through trade.

Man, why were the Northwest tribes so badass. I mean, even their halibut fishing hooks look sick

yeah they get underrepresented because they didn't write shit down. they had a pretty sophisticated culture going on around the sound and north, with master artisans that you find in complex civs.

some mediterranean helmets from the bronze age

>europe
hurrdurr. Europe isn't a country, yank. You compare a culturally extremely diverse area to countries and an area that was relatively homogeneous.

Europe has plenty of cultures not used in Fantasy. Hell, even some common tropes like Norse mythology isn't used that well beyond the "hurr blondes and vikingz! valh.. SOVNGARDE!!"

Shit man, so am I. I've been having a lot of fun running a bronze age Mediterranean and Levant inspired game. Lots of interesting history and myth there to work from.

Replace Arabia and Egypt with Greece and Nordic Cultures and you're right.
Well mostly I guess.

If you flesh it out properly and explain the society you won't have this problem. The players may not know which civilization you gained experience from or the actual history of it but they should get how your fictional society works and looks like.

Which means there is a lot of opportunity for new authors like yourself to write and explore in.
Why do faggots whine about their make-believe not being represented much in media when it is very easy to publish writing currently?

Don't behave a leech and do what you want to be done.

Would you be so triggered if he rounded all of africa as one. Im sure he knows theres differences in europe so calm down.

What is so different about the Franks that we dindt used yet on settings based on anglo-saxons?

Mexican culture. You and your party look like this and you wrestle demons and shit.

the mystery of the bronze age and native america is a huge inspiration for my settings, and I try to make remote civilizations as wild as the aztecs would seem to a european who came upon them.

Man that's a huge hat. He must be really important.

Were hats to his culture like pauldrons in WoW?

"Mexica captain", so apparently he has importance.
Alternatively, he has huge guts.

>Would you be so triggered if he rounded all of africa as one
Yes.
>Im sure he knows theres differences in europe so calm down.
I'm not uncalm. The whole Tolkien-esque fantasy being the norm coupled with the "anything unique or unexplored can't be European because the norm happens to be based on European culture" attitude has kept a lot of interesting European cultures out of the spotlight.

>criticize a genre
>get called a leech
?
>Why do faggots whine about their make-believe not being represented much in media when it is very easy to publish writing currently?
This is what this thread is about. What are you on about?

Franks under Charlemagne had stopped muslim invasion of france and its in his empire that modern universities were set up. It wouldn't compare to the true reinsance but they had themselves a mini one under him. Also they used cav alot more where as Anglo-Saxons didnt as much.

aztec death whistles are pretty cool. used for intimidation purposes before a battle.

Spurdos and gondolas will be minor nature spirits.
There are cool stuff in finnish mythology and culture beyond these ebin memes
Born from the cold, now it's celebration time...
... The spirit of Ukko will burn with us tonight!

Main thing I dislike is when DOCUMENTARIES depict either punic wars romans, marian era romans and late era romans with fucking segmemata

youtube.com/watch?v=I9QuO09z-SI

youtube link to a demo

Speaking of Romans, I'm annoyed in general how hard it is to find information about the Roman Kingdom. Roman Republic? Sure, tons of info. Roman Empire? Even better. But nobody gives a fuck about the Kingdom.

Byzantium was Orthodox, they ended up being the target of Crusades more often than the instigators.

Reminds me of that screaming chicken toy.

It's pretty interesting. The founding myth also throws a flat fuck you to the face of tards who think Byzantines weren't Roman because of race.

Most of Roman history pre sack of rome (by Gauls) is pretty unreliable.

>Oh man what can a fucking whistle sound like-
>AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

>I've never watched an Akira Kurosawa movie or a spaghetti western.

Don't forget the legendary tales of a Polish builder and his cousin the Polish mechanic in a dystopian 201X London.

Witchers popularized polish (and slavic in general) mythology a lot.

I'm going to post some interesting/less widely known weapons

there was a time in the mediterranean where this was the common way to equip a soldier.

atlatl was one of the most widely used weapons in prehistory, and probably the most deadly of them. I'm surprised they were never adapted to later warfare, and I've always been interesting in seeing tests done with steel tipped atlatl darts and armor. there's much more force behind a dart than a longbow arrow. they used to kill mammoths with this shit.

throwing stick, a lot more dangerous than it looks. aboriginals used to fight with them, easily kill somebody if you hit them in a vital area.

youtube.com/watch?v=jFp6gpLiKAk

bolas is an underused non-lethal capture weapon and hunting tool in many settings imo

historical armor you'll probably get a kick out of

Not very interesting.

There is none fun visuals to be had, fuckton of forests, and tiny villages of farmer and hunters, with occasional magic smith or bardy type running around.

u wot m8

not bronze age but a great historical example of how exotic armor can appear in an isolated culture.

I have a fisherman nation in my setting that is heavily inspired by the finns. they are a nihilistic and humorous race, their religion being more comparable to an animistic science. this has very little to do with history and everything to do with an imaginary version of finland inside my head inspired by memes.

It's because we know little about the kingdom. We can use the mythos to base a more plausible story but we won't know extact details. We do know how ever they fought more like hoplites and a thing they did was with newly conquered lands they transported to population to rome and had romans colonize those outter settlements. It's a best example of keep your friends close and your enemies closer.