Warhammer 40k general

I fear no fear edition.

previous

>A Picturebook List Builder For Kids Who Can't Read Good
webapplications-webroster.rhcloud.com/rc/web/#/rosterCreator

>Freshest Rules in Epub (Use Readium for PC or Kobo on Android)
mega.nz/#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ!2tgBUTYI

>Not always current PDFs:
mega.nz/#F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg
mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ

>As current as the FAQs get
games-workshop.com/en-GB/Rules-Errata

>40K 7th Edition Quick Reference Sheets:
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4104995/Games/7edRef.pdf

>Forge World Book Index:
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Forge_World_and_Apocalypse_Rules_Index

>The Black Library (No, not the Black's Library):
mega.nz/#F!wx4BiKhD!YhnAf1BqSmAB8dO6xDM56Q!c4pGAJDb

Actual current general here Come back to this one when it autosages

Which black library author do you hate the most?

Which one do you think is underrated?

Laurie Goulding

Chris Wraight

do you guys have an example of "standard tabletop" paintjob, im just curious as in my life i only saw either pro painted stuff or grey tides

This is in the quick and dirty low end of the range:

A few quick notes:
> Mold lines are mostly cleaned up.
> Good variety of colors, no major detail is missed.
> Clean painting, not haphazardly slopped on.
> Shaded (too much in this case).

Tabletop/10.

Did say quick n' dirty, my first try with quicskshade, so i shook it (don't, it should be stirred) and i let it settle instead of shaking off excess.

After i noterd some stuff i should have picked out, like the armband, eyes, lip an skin piercings.

I think in all i put 10 minutes of active work into the painting so I'm satisfied.

What's the best way to start list building?
Coming in from outside the hobby it's really daunting, and I don't want to waste money on models I'll never use.

Play by proxy, get some loan games in, start small, decide what you want out of the game.

How is the Dakkajet wing?

The Tank Hunter against other Flyers is odd, but I suppose it has it's uses.

Or is it better to go with Sky Boss Wing Nutz Air Armada?

Is there any such thing as default units for space marine lists?
Like units that are mandatory for any space marine army regardless of chapter?

tacticals

It's not so much that Dakkajets are bad, so much that Orks are not a reserve army, and taking them weakens your board presence, and they don't get army-based reserve modifiers to use them.

When they work, they're amazing. The problem is you have to build your army around them. :/

Would people at your local FLGS be okay with someone fielding a multi-army list like this?

I kind of started it with a rant, but how do you guys deal with Daemons? What are you supposed to target/strategize against? At every point level I've ever played against them, they annoy me to no end because they just don't fucking die except for like a couple of the basic daemons or a few wounds off the slightly bigger ones (bloodcrushers, exalted flamers, etc.) and the HQ's are essentially unkillable.

Flyers have much lower armour in general, at s6 you can expect to be able to damage them on 4s - 6s so it's a good buff.

But if it's anti-air you're after then take a traktor kannon, it's one of the few legit good units in the Ork codex and is one of the best anti-air guns in the game.

So I gotta ask, has anyone tried to run a Deathwatch Campaign set during the Badab war?

now that i think about it, i could have fit in some grey knights too...

This is my current CSM list (meaning not just theoryhammer). I'm actually having fun with it, it's doing better than I thought it would. Lots of little "tricks" for something which is so generic.

>it's one of the few legit good units in the Ork codex and is one of the best anti-air guns in the game.

And the thing people tend to expect and dispatch right away.

That's what I was worried about

Not too crazy about the Iron hands stufd, though a Stormravwn might be a good fit. Also, by Sicaran, do you mean the giant tank? I didn't think those were transports, unless you're just suggesting a full armored company.

What army are you playing and what kind of Daemon armies are you playing against?

what is this exactly?
I play inquisition too (and infinity shh)

Word Bearers are an absolute blast in TL - my buddy plays them and we've been having tons of fun games with them.

Grey Knights, and it's usually against a Tzeench/Khorne list. Sometimes he shakes it up with some Nurgle. But even then, everyone in the group struggles against Daemons except for our Eldar guy, but he also plays BA and just about every army is represented in our group.

i would imagine that orks and nids would do fine against daemons?

an example from the "blancheitsu" section of white dwarf of a tech-priest conversion based on blanches artstyle.

What's been really hilarious is having 2 Psykers in a Warband (which is honestly the main reason I took Scrolls of Magnus). I lucked out and rolled Sunburst on my first turn with my Lord, and my opponent screwed up while trying to rush me with lots of Reavers. He had taken Arena Champs to "Look Out Sir" his Cluster Caltrops, and that bit him in the ass.

I cast one Sunburst, killed off 2 Arena Champs and 2 Solarites in one single well-placed Nova, and had to make 8(!) rolls for Champion of Chaos. I was sadly not near my Sorcerer (who was the Warlord and rolled the "Modify Boon rolls by +-1) result, but my Disc Lord basically became Evil Smashfucker, 4 wounds, T6, 2+ armor save rerolls...

...hilarity overall.

SO HOW THE FUCK DO YOU DEAL WITH PINK HORRORS?

What's giving you the most concern from them?

Kill them.

Less of a struggle than I have, but it's still really hard for them. It doesn't help that the Daemons player has stupid fucking luck, either.

So what are some things that 40k has directly influenced?
Like how big of an impact has it had on things overall?

>the Daemons player has stupid fucking luck
i mean, theres a reason you embrace chaos, but for daemons you can roll super lucky sometimes, and get crazy bonuses

>So what are some things that 40k has directly influenced?

Starcraft was obviously influenced by Rogue Trader.

They split into blue, then split into brimstone.

Even if you wipe the entire squad, you still have two more squads to deal with. And that is if you wipe the squad, if even one model is alive you then need to wipe out two squads....

I had a problem dealing with them splitting, and splitting, and after turn five I realized I hadn't even completely wiped out a single unit of pink horrors due to having brimstone and blues left running around.

Only thing I can think of is assault. That should probably do the trick. I think.

we cannot do your art history homework for you

they are tarpit, just go around

What's Veeky Forums up to tonight?

Painting, assembling, shitposting?

I'm painting some Kataphron destroyers, but fuck all those wires and crevices.

It gets annoying when it's every single game. I've never actually won against him.

Mother fucker I'm an accountant, I don't do history. However I do get my jolly's when I learn about things that cause inspiration.

are you playing the objectives? or just trying to purge chaos?

Building some Imperial Guardsmen, occasionally reading Wrath of Magnus between models and posting here.

How about taking some allies with a lot of firepower? An Imperial Knight (Paladin or Crusader) for that sweet Autocannon and some D's for example? Or a bunch of IGs for massed Lasgun fire?

What is your opinion on new players without paint on the models?

Also if my first game is 1000 points, is that too much? I have the models for it, assembled but not yet painted. Should I play something smaller first? The game is this Saturday.

>official model
>not red like any of the first Google results
Am I missing something here or is this peppermint abomination the "official" color scheme?

been doing a lotta mediocre shoops trying to make the new lord of change work aesthetically.

Gotcha - what I've been doing to deal with that is kill them down to 2-4 models and keep them there for awhile before killing them in later turns. Basically the idea is I'm not going to stop them from scoring so I'd rather reduce their damage output while I work on contesting their objectives/scoring my own. Basically I don't let them pop into large units.

>tfw can have ML4 Psyker or ML1 Khornate as Warlord

assembling a skitarii dragoon, and thinking about painting some rangers

T7 because of artillary rules so regular weapons bounce off.

- save so grav weapons bounce off.

You would need some kind of ignores cover poisoned weapon.

Tried basing Skitarii in white previously, but I do not like how paint goes on that primer. Doing it again with black primer. Going to try the same with my Harlequins if they turn out alright.

Also considering terrain to buy for Kill Team campaigns. Looking for dense terrain, and probably a lot of scatter terrain and potential objective markers as well.

Scheme is reverses and used pure white instead of bone.

Peppermint? White and Red?

That's the Metalica Forge World scheme, by the way. The default red one is Mars.

It isn't the 'official' color scheme from GW's website.

Just finished a Wraithknight - working on a Farseer now

That, I believe, is Metallica's paint scheme. They've changed it up a few times, hence why a lot of Tau aren't the standard Ochre.

That's next on my list to add to my AdMech, I love those models

Shops aren't really going to change it. The contrast/balance levels on GW's product images are out of wack thanks to their post-processing. Even the 360 images aren't super accurate.

If I were 'eavy metal, I'd be a little peeved at how 90% of your work gets obliterated by the photo editing.

its the uh... second variant for skitarii color schemes, the model looks way too clean though. I'm doing my skitarii in Ryza - which is the desert orange color (i fondly refer to them as Tau'Skitarii)

Horrors are unique though in that since they're a "Brotherhood of Psykers" unit, their damage output is independent of their unit size. A single Horror can cast a Flickerfire the same a 10-Horror unit can.

Usually Horrors are there as "Batteries" for something more dangerous. MSU is your friend; hit them in assault (they don't overwatch, at least unless they hide an Exalted Flamer in their ranks) and they crumble, no splits.

I try to play the objectives mostly because I know I can't wipe out squads of Daemons with the state that the GK codex is in. I usually end up losing by like 3 or more points. And while Dreadknights are the best unit in our codex, I go in expecting nothing from them and still get disappointed by them.

I've been wanting a Knight Crusader for maximum BRRRRRRRT and have all the painting planned out for it, but I just don't have the cash right now. I tried IG to minimum success. Best thing they did was vs his KDK list and the Platoon Commander managed to hold off a Maulerfiend in combat for a turn after watching his squadmates get ripped apart by rolling double 1's on the morale test. I still lost heartily, though.

Ooh. I like this scheme.

This is the color scheme im going for, not started on the walker yet though

Ryza is a brighter orange than the Tau.

Okay, so this is a lot less contrasting and easier on the eyes than the one he painted. I understand now.

Is it that bad?

Hivemind

I mix it with jokero a bit, but yeah, i like mine sorta dirty, but im in love with this color scheme

Yeah but once they're ML1 they're far less dangerous. They're not an effective battery anymore and they're not able to dedicated as many dice to trying to get effective with FF. If you can assault them and break them its great but for many armies isn't ideal. As an Eldar player I generally just limit their battery impact and then I'm better able to control them.

I love that model.

He's like one of those 19th century hunters.

Umbubu! My Tyranid Gun, please!

my ryza rangers are still WIP and sloppy otherwise I'd share, but they really do look awesome. I find the red to be just a bit too boring, and black to be too dark, and the blues and teals too difficult to pull off

I thought Mek Gunz had a 3+ save?

its hard to see but there is like a driver embedded into it, below the guy seated - and he's like a latex gimp :) I love it

the guns do, the crew don't, gun only grants the T

>trying to give some character to my kriegers with stuff like goggles and pouches on the helmets so i can tell them apart other than the pose

>cleaning up that dot camo i posted earlier for my vanquisher

>finished trying to see if pic related needs more work

>still negletting my dark eldar

>Not liking Metal(l)ica
Get out.

>character
>Kriegers

user you picked the wrong Regiment.

you can see him here, painted in the original way, without a latex hood, but i keep my gimps hooded.

Also the rad sniper variant may look neat, but its garbage on the table - the tazer lance variant is an anti-dread sprinting walker with 4++ saves from shooting, its great

Well you still use the majority armor save (which granted is rarely the artillery's 3+)

I really want to get into this hobby, but how do I start? I have read the 40k fluff, and I want to start collecting, but how do I justify the price? How hard is it to paint decently well? Whete do I play?

I like how they never stop running. Even when they transport them.

They're all Perpetual Motion machines, unless they stop moving, then they never start again.

what about Hotline Mars-ami :)

Get a start collecting box for your faction if you have one. Get a codex and core rules too.

If you don't have a start collecting box for your faction, you'll want to get a HQ choice and two Troops choices.

It's not really any more expensive than any other hobby. Especally if you only buy a unit a month or something.

Your local gaming store or if you have one, a Games Workshop store.

Painting to a tabletop standard isn't that hard, watch some tutorials, Warhammer TV's Duncan has a fuckload of them and they're really great for beginners.

I use the same model for my steel legion senior officer.

Little bit of a stupid question.

Returning to my Imperial Guard roots after playing Marines for years.
I've managed to throw together 3 x 10 man squads of Cadians. 1 x 10 man squad of Catachans, 1 x 10 Stormtroopers. One Russ. One Armoured Sentinel and one Command Unit. I've got a lord commissar and a regular commissar on the way.

Should I go towards picking up a couple Chimera, some Heavy Weapons Teams or another couple of Sentinels.

>how do I justify the price?
Do you want it enough?
It's not just a game, it's a hobby, a social thing, a setting and a game lastly.
Nowhere worth it if all you want is a game.

>How hard is it to paint decently well?
Practice is 95% of it.

>Where do I play?
Friends, clubs, gamestores

or just play GSC like every asshole today and assault turn one to victory.

first of all, get yourself a rulebook, if you don't have one already.
GW has put out some really good starter kits, get some snapfit space marines (even if you want to do another army, space marines are ALWAYS a really good starting point), a basic brush, cutters, and some plastic glue.
as for painting, WELL.... that just takes time. some people are better at it naturally, others get there through trial and error. you'll get there, just keep at it.
the price? there's no getting around that. nor justifying it. prepare to lose all your money.

I dont own any factions, but im thinking astra Astra militarum to start out with. I always loved tanks. Would that be a good place to start?

Are you playing Eldar or Tau?

too bad, because the steel legion commander is really cool!

also thats a really fine model user! Love it!

> Would that be a good place to start?
honestly? i'd recommend some tactical marines be your starters. they're really good for practice

>how do I justify the price?
go slowly - when you buy your first thing, don't just assemble it and run to buy a new thing, paint it up, finish it, then buy something else - it will take a while to do that, and by then, another 30$ won't seem like much for weeks or months of painting and assembly.
Learn to play the game before you do anything else, vassal is for free, but hard to get into, or if you have tabletop simulator, its easy to start playing - I always field test stuff before i go to buy it, to make sure it something i might want to actually use on a tabletop game

You don't use majority saves in this edition. All Wounds are allocated to the closest model and resolved against it until it's dead, then you move on to the next.

word of caution - if you're in it for the painting and assembly, marines are SUPER boring; and might put you off

I would personally grab some Chimera. They help get your guys where they need to be at a decent pace. And if you've already got a Leman Russ, then you can present a nice armoured front.