/STG/ - Star Trek General

Japanese Hate Ghost Edition

Previous thread A thread for discussing the Star Trek franchise and its various tabletop iterations.

Possible topics include the rpgs by FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher, the Starfleet Battles Universe and WizKid's Star Trek: Attack Wing miniatures and game, and Star Trek in general.

Game Resources

FASA's RPG
>mediafire.com/folder/9mt7sng56l8gg/Star_Trek_RPG_(FASA)
mediafire.com/folder/cwn8tbt2qm5t4/FASATREK_Adventures

Last Unicorn Game's RPG
>mediafire.com/folder/9eiysv2192ods/Star_Trek_RPG_(LUG)
-Official and Fanmade Resources
>coldnorth.com/memoryicon/

Decipher's RPG
>mediafire.com/folder/c6tb7p6dp0pye/Star_Trek_RPG_(Decipher)
-Fan Supplements
>strpg.patrickgoodman.org

Far Trek
>mediafire.com/folder/lrhbz9l0qay0j/Far_Trek

Lasers & Feelings
>onesevendesign.com/laserfeelings/

Lore Resources

Memory Alpha - Canon wiki
>en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Portal:Main

Ex Astris Scientia - Fan analyses of ships, tech and continuity issues
>ex-astris-scientia.org

Daystrom Institute Technical Library - Database of ships and technology
>ditl.org

Star Trek LCARS Blueprints Database - Ship schematics, deck plans and recognition manuals
>cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints-main2.php

Star Trek Maps - Based on the Star Trek Star Charts, updated and corrected
>startrekmap.com/index.html

Star Trek Cartography - Information and maps
>stdimension.org/int/

/stg/ Errata

The Adventures of the Ark Royal Crew (an /stg/ setting)
>1d4chan.org/wiki/Ark_Royal

The history of Klingon Civil Rights/Star Trek artwork (more /stg/ headcanon)
>klingonhistory.weebly.com/

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/hhpkEvJU
eucl3d.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

hello

Just looking at the links we have and I was wondering if you guys have any other links we could add, for Attack Wing, SFB or ST:Adventures?

People are still triggered.

Hey OP, could we add this one to our OP post as "Homebrew planet/Civilization maker"?

pastebin.com/hhpkEvJU

We'll I know somebody has/had the Modiphius sample pdfs. I'm just not sure if they're taking down pastebins and the like. I know Battles pdfs get taken down all the time.

Sure, we'll mark it down for addition next time.

I think Star Trek might be fucked lads. Courtesy of Voyager and Enterprise's use of forward time travel (direct involvement with the future) the entire setting has been written in to a corner. We now know the UFP wins, no matter what. So there's no risk left. There's no reason to explore the future because apparently by 2800's everybody has doctor who bullshit time travel tech and the notion of linear space exploration is just redundant.

Except that the time travelers make it clear enough that theirs is only one of many timelines, and that they're just trying to ensure their timeline is the dominant one.

I'm sure people would be amenable to a soft reset. Maybe Q gets tired of all this time-travel shenaniganry and alters reality to make time travel extremely difficult, thus removing the TCW and Starfleet Time Police from "our" timeline and making them incidental.

>What even is the many worlds interpretation
Besides, all VOY proved was that timeship captains are just as incompetent at their job as most starship ones are

I've never heard of the many world interpretation. Elaborate.

I love the idea of a new series starting some sort of intense save the universe story about time travel but then after a few minutes Q comes along and tells them all to fuck off and sends the story back to TNG/DS9 times with no more time travel

>not marking temperate worlds as Class M
Completely disgusting

It could make for a fun 15 minute prequel/teaser to a series. The entire cast, in those ridiculous Agent Daniels body suits make a jj-esque entrance into the villains lair. They dispatch him with ease, but in doing so destabilise the Temporal mcguffin. They work desperately to repair it, spout ridiculous techno-jargon as they go. "The Prismatic Induction stabiliser has ruptured, the Temporal recursion field is going to implode" and so on. One of our characters starts into an equally ridiculous spiel about how they can fix it before being interrupted by a loud "ENOUGH" and a blinding flash.

Suddenly the Maguffin is gone, replace by De Lancie's Q in appropriate attire. "This is just dire. Do any of you even care about what you're doing? You can just go back in time and try again, there's no risk. No fun. Picard didn't have a reset button. And don't even get me started on Janeway." He rambles on, while the crew stand transfixed.

"Tell you what, let's try this again, but without the time travel. Sound good? Great." He clicks his fingers and the scene changes to a Earth Starbase in the 2380's. A new ship is being launched, crewed by the same cast we just saw. Cut to series logo and boom. Fixed.

What does the "M" in class m stand for?

Mutara. It's the Vulcan classification system.

Oh, ok.
I mean, for me it sounded somewhat logical because i thought that the "M" stood for "Maa" (Earth in Finnish), but then i thought why it was classified still as M class in English sources.

That actually sounds perfect. He could even get rid of the Borg to get rid of the super-tech bullshit that started up towards the end and it can then work as a sequel to the Dominion war and Nemesis

But if you don't have the Borg, you have a Federation that isn't ready for the Dominion, and dies like cattle.

Weird quantum shit (TM) has two main ways to make sense of it:
>Copenhagen interpretation says that everything exists in every state it possibly can, and only collapses into one when observed
>Many Worlds interpretation says that the universe is endlessly branching off into different realities, each of which with a different permutation of what already exists.

Example: schroedinger's cat - under Copenhagen, the cat is simultaneously alive and dead until you check, while many worlds says that it spawns realities where the cat is alive, the cat is dead, the cat broke out of the box, the experiment was interrupted because you got bored and decided to browse a danish quantum mechanics imageboard instead, etc.

Obviously, many worlds is favoured by sci-fi writers, since it basically gave birth to the parallel universe meme.

I thought it was Minshara - isn't Mutara where WoK had the big showdown?

Not that user but maybe Q could just create like buffer zone around the UFP in relation to the Borg. Since they seem to have such a hard-on in killing the threat of humans. And Q would lose his favorite pets if that happened. So Q does some stuff the characters never know about but we know. Q could also foster the Borg civil war and help the sides stay in balance as long as possible to give everyone else a chance to prepare and survive the outcome. Well, wiping out the Borg would be counter productive for the setting. You need a big bad in the background to keep poking the UFP and the rest of the space empires to more forward or there societies and tech will start to stagnate. You can't really use Q as this because that's not his job and they can't really fight him anyway at their current level of self/tech.

Whether or not the "federation" wins in the end there is still what happens to the individual parts of the federation. Characters can die, worlds could be destroyed and all sorts of other shit. Most religious people believe there is a fairly kickass afterlife but they don't just stop caring about the journey because of that.

No, keep the Borg tech. The Federation has leveled up past its prior enemies and can now explore the Beta and Delta quadrants in earnest, or build a QSD ship to explore the Magellanic Cloud dwarf galaxies that orbit the Milky Way. It also allows the writers to miniaturize and network the computers better to keep the setting feeling like OUR future.

>Throw in a scene with Prophet-Sisko and Q talking about the nature of time, non-linearity and how disappointing the future has become because of "time fleet".
>Put a scene like this at the end of every episode or major arc.

Do you have any idea how obnoxious that sounds? It just seems ridiculous. Would you really want to open a new series on "muh picard" and how the fuck is omnipotent energy being fuckery any less "setting destroying" than time travel? Q fucks the setting waaay more than time travel ever could.
Yeah or they could explore other dimensions, or we could get a show focused around a non-federation ship or hell maybe do the same shit they always do because every show had more advanced tech than the previous show and it didn't ever cause a problem before.

Q-centric episodes have a much better track record, though. Out of all the time travel episodes, and there are a fair few, I can really only think of 3 episodes that weren't dreadful.

>how the fuck is omnipotent energy being fuckery any less "setting destroying" than time travel?
Because Time travel consistently creates paradoxes and plot-holes, while Q's fuckery is generally with the here and now.

>I thought it was Minshara - isn't Mutara where WoK had the big showdown?

That is correct, yes. From the Vulcan planetary classification system of the 22nd (Earth) century.

I'm sorry but i don't see it that way, the very point that posters above are making about how Q could hand wave the borg away but "doesn't feel like it" shows just how much MORE of a problem he is for the plot.
I'm not saying they've handled time travel episodes well, I'm saying the concept of time travel is much less damaging to the setting than Q is.

Q is a GMPC with all the chains off. He basically exists outside the setting and serves as a way to let the main party know when they're being morons.

Thats precisely why i dont think he should ever be used outside of creating fun episodes. Fundamental alterations to the setting like "oh btw time travel is gone now" should never come from his hands and i really don't see why it should happen at all. There is nothing time travel does to make holes in the setting that the myriad of other ridiculous technologies like space belts dont already do.

to me the story isn't that the UFP wins, it's the journey there. I guess that's why I enjoy playing STO story content even though the game can be frustrating.

>to me the story isn't that the UFP wins, it's the journey there.
The problem with that mentality is it allows them to keep hammering on prequel series like Enterprise and Discovery. Eventually the canon timeline must progress past the destruction of Romulus or the franchise will fade and die.

I'm inclined to agree with this. Otherwise we may as well accept the inevitability of a reboot.

"The Journey" INCLUDES things past the destruction of Romulus. There is nothing about being okay with the 29th century time operatives that means we have to focus on prequels.

I'm ok with a reboot.

I still think there's a lot of ways to do star trek that have not been done. I quite liked JMS's pitch for an alternate take on the original series with season-long arcs and a defined overall story but heavily focusing on exploration. It had a lot of good ideas and well, Babylon 5 was very star trek in a lot of ways so that definitely could have transferred over in style.

And there's just a ton of room to remake the setting and make things more consistent, rather than reset button at the end of every show since the way TV programs work now is very different.

But I think there's far, far too much guff to deal with to even try and make something work from where star trek is at now. The time travel stuff is a mess, STO is a clusterfuck of awful, the novels are insane and mostly terrible, the leftovers of the shows and movies barely work together because they were never planned to, the word clusterfuck barely even scrapes the surface of how much of a mess the setting is if you go past the events of the 2009 film.

Lets not judge things unfairly. We don't actually know Discovery is going to be shit.

We just know that it is very probably going to be shit.

STO doesn't have to be regarded as canon, hell there's no particular reason to even regard the destruction of romulus or spock going back in time as canon.

>Lets not judge things unfairly. We don't actually know Discovery is going to be shit.We just know that it is very probably going to be shit.
I don't like be a total ass about saying something is going to be shit. BUT LOOK AT THIS SHIP! LOOK AT IT! I don't think anything can save it at this point unless they scrap the whole design and start over.

Nothing will ever be as ugly and grotesque as the Enterprise-D so I'm fine with it.

I would love to have been present for the conversation where that was decided it was the way to go.

>We need a ship shape
How about this one we rejected decades ago for being ugly as sin
>Perfect

Look me in the eye and say that this design isn't light years ahead of the cartoon caricature JJVerse enterprise.

Not that user, but imho they are both awful so I guess it's a tie.

I will look you square in the eye and tell you that this discovery shit is worse.

Not just because of what it represents with the end of Star Trek on TV and it's inglorious and wretched death but because it looks like utter shit beyond anything JJTrek shat out.

Christ, are they actually using McQuarrie's Star Destroyer Enterprise? The man was brilliant but not infallible.

It's worse. The JJprise is at least consistent even if it is a disproportional piece of crap.

This thing mixes all sorts of crap together with a ship that's supposed to be pre-TOS but included weirdly chunky bits alongside TNG-era curves and nacelles and that huge flat wing is just awful in proportions. It's a mess.

What do you mean pre TOS? I thought Discovery was meant to be between TOS and TNG?

>We now know the UFP wins, no matter what. So there's no risk left.
All it tells us is the Federations still exists in some form the far future. For all we know they could have fallen and reformed at some point. That's actually Bashir's prediction for what would happen if they lost the Dominion War.

Besides most Trek stories don't involve an existential threat to the Federation anyway. It was mostly just the Dominion War and the Borg attacks where they thought it my really be the end for their entire civilization.

If it is that's a seriously obsolete ship. The ship's registry number is way lower than anything seen even in TOS.

It takes place about a decade before TOS, and it's suppose to revolve around some event that has already been mentioned in canon but not directly explored.

>STO is a clusterfuck of awful, the novels are insane and mostly terrible
Those are both non-canon. Star Trek doesn't have an expanded universe in the same way Star Wars does. As far as the TV shows and movies are concerned, none of the other media matters.

It's supposed to set just after the initial launch of the Constitution class ships, during April's tenure as Enterprise Captain. So the Discovery is an older ship, maybe just after having undergone a refit. The nacelles, to me, look like ENT-era engines bundled together and placed in a larger frame, rather than newly built.

>like ENT-era engines bundled together and placed in a larger frame, rather than newly built.
You can try to justify why the ship looks the way it does all you want. But it doesn't fix the problem that for a Star Fleet ship of that era it looks all kinds of wrong. It looks like a kit bash of old Klingon BoP parts put together with any old left over Fed parts hey had lying around. I mean that could be what happened to create this abomination but that still doesn't make it a good idea. Not an attack on you user just my rebuttal to your opinion.

You know what would be entertaining?

The Discovery is an older cruiser now relegated to border patrol and basic supply missions. The crew is full of every "meh" officer that Starfleet could cram onto it and it's track record is spotty, at best (I hear they're banned from Argo Station). Short of some cataclysmic emergency, the Discovery is left well enough.

Then, during a tense standoff with Klingons, a sector-admiral looks through the list of local ships and comes across the Discovery. He reads the registry, 1031, and makes the incorrect assumption that she's a cover ship for section 31. Confident that they can sort things out, the Admiral tasks the Discovery with a highly dangerous mission behind enemy lines.

See I figure the Discovery might actually be a crock of shit, patched together and jury-rigged with non-Starfleet tech during the early days of the Federation (the period between 2166-2210, likely towards the end) as a response to aggression from some other power. Probably Klingons.

As for whether it looks appropriate for a ship of the time, we really don't know. Besides the Kelvin we have no basis for what the designs of those interim years looked like. The Connie was a clean, elegant design, sure, but that doesn't mean that the ships that preceded it were as well designed.

There's a lot of potential for the era covered but really, fuck Section 31 and sticking them in anything more than they've already been in.

>Section 31
The problem with that was they went too 'X-Files' with that shit. It should never have come out of the shadows. There should have just been rumors and guys that could be connected to them but you were never sure not even the audience that's how they should have done it.

It's an unpopular opinion, but I absolutely love the design. My immediate impression was that it looked way too clunky, but it grew on me quick. I like that 70s retro-ish aesthetic, conflicting shapes, bronze hull.

Fuckin tasty.

season 11 finale tonight for my STO RP group lads

I would not be surprised if my Vulcan security officer kicks the bucket.

>I would not be surprised if my Vulcan security officer kicks the bucket.
But there are so many deus ex tropes in Trek to keep him from dying in any meaning full way. Why even kill him better off making the guy marry a Japanese hate ghost much more entertaining.

>so many deus ex tropes in Trek to keep him from dying

and we've used one or two before (not for him but for others). This time though, I don't think there is any way out of this.

An excerpt from the captain's log:

>We are however currently at Yellow Alert and traveling at Maximum warp, a few hours ago...long range sensors detected a Force 7...almost Force 8 Ion storm...almost a full sector in diameter hasformed and it is closing in on the station. Most traffic in the area has been diverted....however we have passed the point of no return...the only direction left to us to avoid this massive stormis to proceed forward...even the z axis has been cut off...our only safe port before the storm reaches us....is the Starbase. All decks have been alerted and Ion Storm protocols are in effect...DCT's and Triage teams are in place on all decks. Current estimates have us arriving prior to beinghit...however Ada reports the storm is growing stronger and in flux....so we are in a footrace...against time and the storm.

>for a Star Fleet ship of that era it looks all kinds of wrong
How do you know? We have literally only one canon example of a Starfleet ship design from that era. Do you expect everything to be a kitbash of the Constitution-class like in the old technical manual?

a technical manual, you say?

Which one of you is this?

check your doffs bruh

Really makes you think.

Some of you were looking for foundry missions. Well, looks like there's a decent database out there, with the rather basic name of foundrymissions.com. I don't know how comprehensive it is, nor how often it gets updates.

Sounds like fun, brih.

Are there any short, oneshot games for Star Trek? I feel like I could get my friends interested in playing Trek RPGs if they didn't have to commit to a multi session campaign from the get-go.

It was, we made to the starbase and then on their way to a meeting with an Admiral the first officer and captain were kidnapped by an unknown entity who calls himself "Diamond". The first officer was impaled and the captain lost her right arm during a battle with him.

take that back you fucking whore

It's a lot, LOT worse. It feels like they decided to go in the opposite direction from JJTrek's post-Post-POST-p.o.s.t-(neo)post-postmodern aesthetic in an awful, reactionary way, and make a ship with as many badly placed straight lines as possible.

Confession: I quite like some of the JJTrek look desu, especially the exterior curves against the super clean, futury interior - I just can't fucking stand how the rest of the ship is Tantive IV But With More Glass but engineering is Generic Industricool

>spoiler
noice.png

>idea
breddygud, actually

fucc, lowkey wish I could find a decent one

I'm incredibly shitty noobtier, but still, literally none of the grinding or dps-wank of the endgame appeals to me in any way.

eucl3d.com/
>Eucl3d has folded
>there will be no STO ship miniatures

Fugg

>especially STO miniatures
>not just vanilla ones
>explicitly wanting Cryptic's shitty designs

>he doesn't appreciate STO's Romulan designs.
>he doesn't want a model of his own ship sat on an aesthetically pleasing shelf

I bet you thought "threshold" was an alright episode, too.

The thing is, they would have made miniatures out of your personal ship(s) when asked for and paid by you.
All you would have had to do was either take some pics of your ship or click a button while in game so it would take a 3D picture of your ship.
So all the kitbashes, all the differently colored ships and even mirror universe versions of some ships could have been possible.

But now the dream is over.

I would have paid handsomely for ships that were important to me.

By the looks it was going to be 100-ish per model. So you'd want to be willing to pay handsomely.

>engineering is Generic Industricool
The ship in general didn't really bother me, but I hated this so much. Why is engineering a brewery? Things shouldn't be visibly bolted together in a Federation starship. It clashes so hard with all other Trek aesthetics, including within the same movie. And they did it again with the warp core in Into Darkness.

I wonder how much of it was simply convenience of not building a big expensive set that captured the look desired by the director?

Because i suspect the answer is 'a lot'.

I would have been able to forgive it if they had placed a big oldschool warp core right at the centre of the distillery.

It's not without charm.

Engineering looks like it was filmed inside an exsiting building, like a water treatment plant..

I guess its cheaper so you can afford more explosions and EXTREAM.

Because an industrial environment is more convincing to a general movie audience than an old fashioned Star Trek set.

Warp Core in ID was a fusion research facility, IIRC - which, in agreement with , is a LOT less forgivable than the rest of the shit they had going on.

"It's a series of tubes!"

I recently watched the first couple JJ-trek movies awhile ago, did Starfleet forget to reaserch shields in this timeline? Like I know they mention that they got shields but it seems like in these movies their ships just get torn to ribbons and half the crew dies.

Why can't we have more DS9-style Trek?

There's plenty of epic, serialized TV available now that make DS9 seem kinda dated.

Do the starfleet battles people still have their demi-license?

Shields in Star Trek - Abramstrek or otherwise - have always had pretty inconsistent performance. Refer to Dominion War battle scenes where non-plot-important ships get swiss-cheesed on the first volley.

Press 'F' for all those Mirandas.

Shields in regular trek are usually inconsistent (although the All Hands Lost can be explained by them being OLD AS SHIT), but the ones in Abramstrek seem nonexistent.

I think I read somewhere that they form a layer on top of the regular hull that's then strengthened against energy and kinetic attack? So like an unholy union of hull polarisation and SuperSaiyan!Janeway's ablative generators, but far wimpier than both. Or something.

We never get to see the nu-Enterprise face off against an era-normal foe though. It's always taking on a big, overwhelming supership. Maybe against a nu-D7 the shields would do something.

>Nu-D7

I was sure they were going to make the third movie about a klingon war considering they hinted at it in ID.

If only. The one thing I really liked about ID was the aesthetic of the Klingon soldiers. The faces, not so much, but the helmets combined with pseudo soviet trench coats and minimalist body armour was pretty good.

Is anyone excited about the new RPG by Modiphius?

Agreed, the weapons and that little landing craft was neat too.

Somebody dropped the PDF for the play test a while back. While I'm cautiously optimistic about it, I think the current set up needs a lot of house rules to be balanced.

to be honest I kinda wish FFG would produce a few games for Trek, in the same way they've made a ton for Star Wars.

Frontiers and Ascension aren't enough for you?