Board Game General /bgg/

Last thread:
Pastebin:
>pastebin.com/NA2W929q

Game night cancelled due to sick kids, but it could be much worse. Let's hear your biggest horror stories /bgg/. Foul smelling neckbeards, awful games, alpha gamers who had horrible strategies/didn't know the rules, poor losers, shitheads who broke up your group; who's got the worst story out there?

Other urls found in this thread:

tytogames.com/final-act-tanks-strategy-board-game.html
youtube.com/watch?v=2Beda3kFNjo
analoggames.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/board_game_box_tutorial_analog_games_card_how_to_03.jpg
analoggames.com/story/how-to-make-a-classic-board-game-box/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No one's got an awful story? Really? Fine; last week teaching Istanbul to a teenager, prolly 15/16. About halfway through, he pulls out a bag of snacks, starts snarfing away on some homemade crackers dusted with ranch or something. Being the prepared guy I am, I've got a pack of hand wipes, so that if anyone's got food they don't have to get crumbs or dust or oil all over the game pieces, it's sitting 2" away from the board, and in full view, he's seen me and one of the other games use them before our turns, and when it comes around to him again does he grab one to clean up? Nope, lil shit stops eating, licks his palm and then sucks all the crap off each individual finger before picking up his pieces, moving them around the board and going right back to his snacking. When his mother came by to collect him she got a full report on teaching her child some manners.

I've moved house and I'm too far away from my old group to meet regularly

How do I meet new people into the same hobby ;_;

One of the resident tripfags keeps telling people to look for fencing clubs if they can't find boardgame meetups, but that seems pretty anecdotal.

I really want to get back to playing games with people that aren't my wife
Rebellion just arrived today as well..

I was thinking about this yesterday while I was learning the rules for Lords of Vegas (which definitely fits the criteria for a Monopoly replacement) and I believe it's something that definitely should go in the FAQ. what games would should be listed as being replaced though? off the top of my head, I can think of:

Monopoly
Risk
Yahtzee
Game of Life
Chess
Catan
Munchkin
Descent
Ticket to Ride
Talisman
MTG/Yugioh/Pokemon
Cards Against Humanity

I guess we should try to stick to no more than three suggestions per game to not overwhelm newcomers too much and provide BGG links to each game

same issue

I don't think Chess, Descent or MTG have been replaced. I think there are better games, but I'll still sit down and play Chess and Descent, and MTG seems to be progressing nicely, although I no longer play. Also, I think a couple of those games are not only replaced, but were never good in the first place. Namely, Monopoly, Munchkin, Talisman, and CAH.

Don't think about replacing them. There is nothing that can replace Monopoly because it doesn't scratch any itch that a human being has. Just pick out other decent board games that can be grasped with fairly little explanation and then go from there.

Descent and Ticket to Ride usually fall under "should I get X" questions really.

Lords of Vegas has gambling, wads of paper, and the excitement when someone lands on a space you own that has a hotel built, so it's a pretty fitting replacement.

>Descent
>replaced
With what, exactly? Serious question.
also making own ruleset for Descent and want shit to steal inspiration from

Do you know what you could have done differently as the invader to have made it more competitive?

Last meetup, I got awkwardly chatted up and then felt up by another gamer there, despite not showing interest.
I was saved by the bell, conveniently, but I have absolutely no idea how to talk to this person ever again. I mean, he's part of the group. Everyone knows him. I dunno. Probably just going to have to go full honesty and make him feel really awkward.

It's more of an incredibly weird story than necessarily awful, but it's probably still the "worst". I actually have all around pleasant experiences gaming.

It's shit like this why our hobby doesn't grow

Yeesh, I wanted horror stories but I forgot about the rapey type grognards. I generally would say talk to the person involved, but in this case go to whoever runs/hosts the meetup, and if it's at a LGS talk to the owner. If it was just talk, I'd say ask someone to pull him aside and have a come to Jesus meeting with him, once it's gotten physical he's gotta go.

A good replacement for monopoly that me and my buds play is Aquire.

Honestly most games off the 3M bookshelf collection are fucking great, especially breakthru or twixt.

>Descent needs to be replaced
What?
While it has its problems, and some other games do a couple of things better, no game does Descent (as a whole) better.

>Monopoly
Acquire, Stockpile, Chinatown.
>Risk
Risk modern isn't too bad actually. However, any number of other games work great in it's place. I personally have Scythe, I hear Kemet is really good, and I love Blood Rage but not sure I would put it under the same genre.
>Yahtzee
Bang the Dice Game
>Game of Life
Racing game where you're attempting to manage how much you accomplish along the way? I hear Tokaido is good for that but never played it myself. Best I got though.
>Chess
Doesn't need replacing. Lots of good abstracts out there though. Onitama is my personal favorite.
>Catan
Does it need replacing? I haven't played it myself. I hear it's a game where you can add expansions to make it whatever you want at this point.
>Munchkin
I hear they're making some CCG that makes a real game outta this concept. I dunno what to say as far as replacing it because the problem with it is that it's not really much of a game to begin with.
>Descent
Most definitely does not need replacing. You can find other games to suit what it is you're looking for in a dungeon crawl, but don't need much else.
>Ticket to Ride
Again, doesn't need a replacement. Maybe a next level game, but nothing to take its place.
>Talisman
Never played.
>MTG/Yugioh/Pokemon
I personally love Millennium Blades just for parodying it, but honestly MtG is the only answer.
>Cards Against Humanity
Doing anything else.

Let me add in that a good replacement for Yahtzee is King of Tokyo / New York.

I played a game of Labyrinth yesterday, damn good game.

I was the US, and I was having an incredibly easy time; I dumped a shitload of troops into Afghanistan, and gained enough prestige that stabilizing the region was really easy; then I claimed there were WMDs in Iraq, and sent in the troops to deal with the single cell in there.

Meanwhile Pakistan went to shit and had an Islamic revolution, giving the Jihadist three nukes. His funding was really low however, which basically meant took the gamble and just FREEDUM'd my way into Pakistant.

Then the Jihadists planned a terrorist attack to surpass nine-eleven

4 terror plots at once, three in Pakistan, and 1 in Indonesia. I use my resources to remove one, and decide the other three were beyond salvaging.

They were all WMDs. The Jihadists blew up Pakistan twice, and Indonesia once. Needless to say, the fact that I was unable to stop a terrorist WMD plot in a country where a third of the US armed forces were positioned, meant people weren't too happy with me (e.g., prestige went from 12 (max) to 1), and funding for the terrorist cause went through the roof.

The rest of the game was basically cat and mouse, where the Jihadist tried to spread its reach, and I tried to desperately keep them down with guns, which eventually led to my narrow victory

descent is a great game and I fucking miss it
>had every expansion
>easily over $1000 in that one game
>car got broken into and it all stolen
Serves me right for not having it insured, but still it hurts.

As for replacement, Imperial assault does sorta the same feel, but nowhere near as the flexibility nor enjoyable as Descent with the expansions.

here, thanks for the discussion anons

I do see people shitting on Descent here occasionally but I don't really play dungeon crawlers so my opinion is very limited. I'm just throwing out names and seeing what sticks, I'm happy to write off Descent (and Ticket to Ride) from my list

fair point, and I believe it should be another section listed in the FAQ as more often than not someone will ask a question and someone will post an infograph image, maybe a good idea is to compile the various infographs I see posted into something nice and coherent? there was someone a few months ago that was making a serious effort with making detailed infographic images, but they appear to have disappeared

I play a fair bit of competitive MTG (I've been progressively playing board games more often) and there's definitely a push towards creatures and away from other spells, much to my dissatisfaction as I feel it decreases the decision making. I love Force of Will as a replacement for MTG but I can see the weeb aesthetic being a turnoff, other people generally tend to recommend Netrunner

as for Munchkin, I would recommend Cutthroat Caverns

I'm of the opinion that broad strokes that evoke a similar (but obviously better) experience can work well, they don't need to be 1:1 replacements but more in the vein of what mentioned, with CAH I'd mention party games in general like Codenames

good suggestions, I wouldn't list Scythe as a replacement for Risk and would lean towards Kemet and Quartermaster General myself. personally I'd pick Lords of Vegas over Chinatown for Monopoly but that's only because I haven't personally played Chinatown

Codenames is fantastic, would highly recommend it as a superior alternative to CAH.

I find that Agricola evokes flashbacks to Settlers of Catan, what with all the little wooden farm animals and potential for brutally cutthroat tactics.

I've only ever played it once, but Roll for the Galaxy struck me as an objectively vertical upgrade to Yahtzee and Liar's Dice, adding a bit more strategy to dampen some of the RNG.

Monopoly just shouldn't be on the list, it's a crap game and practically nobody plays by the actual rules because it's so crap.

>Monopoly
Not really sure anyone actually enjoys monopoly so maybe splendor or monopoly deal for money hijinks.
>Risk
Shogun, COIN series, kemet
>Yahtzee
Liars dice, eldar sign, king of tokyo
>Game of Life
Never had the misfortune of playing this
>Chess
Chess is fine and doesn't need to be replaced. Hive, go and the GIPF games are other abstracts however
>Catan
There's still nothing that really directly replaces Catan.
>Munchkin
Mage knight? Tiny epic quest looks like it could
>Descent
Imperial assualt, arkham horror
>Ticket to Ride
Doesn't really need to be replaced. It does it's job as a gateway game
>Talisman
heroquest? I dunno
>MTG/Yugioh/Pokemon
Netrunner, seasons, theres nothing that really directly replaces these
>Cards Against Humanity
Joking hazard

Chinatown has one very distinct thing to me: creative deal making. That's a thing this game does that people who play monopoly wish it did based on the amount of people who house rule illegal deals. I don't doubt there's probably better replacements all around but I had to mention is for that reason. It mechanically does what people wish monopoly did.

Wow, you told on him to his mommy user? Badass.

Next time try helpfully instructing the child to use the hand wipes instead of being a passive aggressive autist.

>Catan
Concordia. Removes luck elements and creates great depth through simple rules.
>Munchkin
Jesus fucking Christ, anything, just throw that fucking game in the fire.
>Game of Life
Tales of the Arabian Nights
>Yahtzee
If you like rolling dice and trying to get particular combinations, you need to check out King's Forge, which also includes a worker placement mechanic.

>passive aggressive autist
Nice meme

I've not played Cosmic Encounter yet, but from some video playthroughs I've seen, the ending seems very similar to Munchkin games, where either it's 1 vs All or team vs team, then players putting + or - bonuses on either side and seeing who has the highest total. Am I missing something here?

I know this is kind of obvious but check out facebook or craigslist and look for people. Probably hang out in cafés first

>I do see people shitting on Descent here occasionally
Less shitting on and more warning people what to expect really. And yeah, compiling the various infographics in one place would be very handy, assuming people bother checking the OP.

Usually at the end everyone are close to winning, most games I played ended up with at least 2 people on 4 points.
You can choose to not invite anyone, the game has a tons of replayability because of the different alien powers.

Sometimes you find yourself playing super aggressive, while other times its all about the defensive plays.

Why does he do it? Is it autism?

Because he enjoys it and knows it upsets people like us. Actually the reason. Personally I think it's a waste of time that adds nothing to the review.

He likes making people angry because most games mean nothing to him and he'll play them maybe once.

It makes me angry that's for sure. Probably some primal urge.

>joking hazard
That game doesn't look to be any better than cah

It may be shit, but at least it's less random shit, since you get to pick, match and arrange the panels.
Filling in randomly drawn blank space cards with randomly drawn, progressively larger black cock cards gets stale quickly.

With chess a good abstract that could replace is pic related, quite a lot of fun and includes a 4 player variant.

Also I know no ones mentioned it but a really fucking fun replacement for dominos is Chekit from 1985.

I say pic related and then forget the pic, my bad.

To be fair to Hasbro, they have made versions of Monopoly and Risk that aren't complete dogshit.

>Monopoly
Monopoly Deal
Tropical Tycoon
Star Wars Monopoly (2015)

>Risk
Literally any new version from Risk 2210AD onwards (Legacy is best)
Star Wars Risk (2015)

As for the rest:

>Yahtzee
Bang!: The Dice Game
>Catan
Machi Koro Deluxe Edition
>Munchkin
Guillotine
Ninja Burger: Secret Ninja Death Touch Edition
>Talisman
Tales of The Arabian Nights (for the "go places, random shit happens" itch)
>MTG/Yugioh/Pokemon
Android: Netrunner
>Cards Against Humanity
Funemployed
Actual drinking games

>Monopoly
Lords of vegas.
>Risk
Spheres of Influence.
>Yahtzee
Like the multiplayer solitaire aspect? Castles of Burgundy.
Want more action? Liar's dice/Bang: the dice game/King of Tokyo.
>Game of Life
Try Pursuit of Happiness if you really like the theme.
>Chess
Shogi maybe.
>Catan
Terra mystica if you hate the negotiation aspect.
Archipelago if you love the negotiation aspect.
>Munchkin
Cutthroat Caverns.
>Descent
Conan.
>Ticket to Ride
Splendor if you like the set collection aspect but hate the map.
Airlines europe if you like the Pennsylvania map.
Like the theme? Try Railways of the World and continue down the rabbit hole from there.
Want pure route connection? Try Hansa Teutonica.
>Talisman
Runebound.
>MTG/Yugioh/Pokemon
Magic fan? Codex
Otherwise, Android: Netrunner
>Cards Against Humanity
Funemployed or Snake oil.

What's your favorite game /bgg/?

I could've done that, but not in the era of snowflakes and helicopter parents. I run a group with the wife at our church, open to the public; last time I instructed a child (please don't throw the X-wing models in the air when you've killed them, they could break) he didn't respond but his parent 10 ft away asked why I was telling her boy what to do and not coming to her with problems. That kid was 12, and spent the rest of the day pelting his buddy with dice until he hit a 5yr old. Children today are fucking monsters, and their parents are generally the problem.

Anyone here played Room-25?

Played it on one of those board game festivals and it is a hit with my friends. It's basically the movie Cube with randomly assigned tiles containing safe zones, special places and deadly traps. Has lots of game modes including the Battlestar Galactica-style beware-the-traitor mode.

Twixt, or Kensington.

This thing, though I'm kinda new to this. Still, compact 1v1 battle games like this are my jam; wish I knew one that was WW2 themed.

>throw the X-wing models in the air
Please bring less heart attack inducing games (for the owner) for them to play, like that Chewbacca toy or the mouth game thingy.

Yeah it was rough, was starting a mostly teen group out on HotAC, figured since they were older it'd be safe. Luckily when we get shithead kids showing up they're usually only around once or twice, the regulars by now all know how to act in public and handle other's possessions.

gonna try to add some games that get less love in /bgg/ threads

>Monopoly
Zooloretto - easy to teach, set collection, build and improve your property, reasonably deep, appealing family theme, nowhere near as toxic.
Low negotiation and no dice rolling though, if that's Monopoly's appeal for a player.
In that case Chinatown and Lords of Vegas work, but the theme is meh for me.

>Risk
Rattus is a nice area control game with role selection, recently got reprinted too. Kind of euro-y with some randomness and low combat, but the player interaction is pretty decent.

>Yahtzee
Elder Sign if you like the mythos thing and don't mind coops.

>Game of Life
CV integrates dice rolling and life choices in a much better package.

>Chess
No need to replace chess really, it has won its place. I'd add The Duke to the chesslike roster, I enjoy the variability.

>Talisman
Never played this, so I wouldn't know what to reccommend here.

>MTG/Yugioh/Pokemon
Any card game that's not collectible wallet draining bullshit with rarity tiers and massive power creep.
Mage Wars Academy fits the theme of spellbook-wielding dueling mages better than M:tG itself imho.

>Cards Against Humanity
Say Anything. Because you can literally say anything. You can be /pol/ or /b/ tier if you want without it being a feature of the game, and you can be funny all the time because you get no useless card combos.

Lol sorry dude. At his age, his mom has probably given up all semblance of teaching values, virtues, and manners to her son. She may just stop taking him there out of embarrassment so you either made him stop coming to game nights or you made him bring his other shitty friend who has a car

>Craigslist
Absolutely disgusting

It does have that "Everyone stop him!” ending, but it's not too bad. For one, you have a possibility to win as a group, so you see alliances formed for more than just fucking someone over. Then you have the potential to backstab in a lot of ways. It adds politics to Munchkin and more than just random card draw, so it ends up a much more interesting game.

>easy way to find people with similar interests
>filter so it shows people nearest to you
>get your dick sucked while playing board games

Except there aren't any actual game groups on there, just people who want to rob and murder you

A kickstarter ran a while back for Final Act, a near-abstract 1v1 ww2 tank sirmish game that seemed pretty cool.

tytogames.com/final-act-tanks-strategy-board-game.html

I don't really have craigslist in my country but I recommended something that I know was popular. I had luck with gumtree (which is a craigslist clone) so thought craigslist would be Ok

Cards Against Humanity is only as unfunny as the people you play it with, please accept my condolences if your playgroup votes for any answer containing "Two midgets shitting into a bucket" on that basis alone because 'lolsorandumbXDDDD', but that's really their fault and not the game's. Add all the expansions for variety, don't play with people that auto vote for specific answers and try to be creative with your answer. The game is fine.

I just got kingdom death monster. What can I expect?

>tfw every group I play with devolves into using custom injoke cards

And there's the paradox. If they're funny enough to not make CAH retarded, they're funny enough not to need it.

Collection wagglan, anyone?

My group devolved into meta strats figuring out what cards work with each person and saving your cards when the points stack due to the "robot" mechanic.

>actually trying to win at CAH

That's just missing the point entirely. Why.

>Add all the expansions
>pissing money away on pure trash

Nope.

I see a lot of The Works games. Fellow Brit?

It's always in good fun, we played so much of it that we got slightly competive just from breaking the game down a bit.

>tiny blurry pics
>no titles

przestań

Largest I can make it on my screen.

Sam przestań

Well you can at least cut the blurry.

Warszawa/okolice?

I could but I can't be bothered.

Kalifornia

Zapomniałeśdodać "no homo", Mariusz

Aww.
Who's Mariusz, some thread memedude? No homo? Are you some kind of faggot?

youtube.com/watch?v=2Beda3kFNjo

How do I find a group of gamers who play more than just party and co-op

meetup or bgg

I found a copy of Feudal for 20 bucks. A little pricey for a beat up old game, but it's pretty fun.

Looking For A Way To Create A Template For Cardboard Box Covers

i want to make a file for a design program where i can adjust the length of this template. to make it fit.

analoggames.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/board_game_box_tutorial_analog_games_card_how_to_03.jpg

i make my own cardboard boxes for games and would like an easy way to add art with the correct size to it.

so i can just enter new numbers in the different lines of this template. so it just sets to the new size.

analoggames.com/story/how-to-make-a-classic-board-game-box/

I know I'm getting baited, but I can't help but feel petty rage when Fortunate Son is mistitled, either accidentally or on purpose.

Hey, if you wanna get mad at someone, I like TI3

Just finished my fourth and fifth game of Seafall. I actually seem to like this game more than most reviewers do. Like I like the passive narrative it gives, the gameplay is pretty good though wouldn't hold up without the legacy aspect, and you change a lot as you go. That all being said, I'm starting to hit a roadblock. We have one key milestone to get, someone has to put themselves in a disadvantagous position to do this milestone (The one who does this will not get the milestone), and we're not getting any more milestones until we do this. 2 players are not motivated to overcome this problem because they will keep winning without milestones and 2 of us are in a stand still wanting to not be the one to waste our whole game. In a way I like the legacy aspect being more free form and come up as you do stuff, but on the other hand you just come up with a situation like this and it drives me mad. There's no card that says "Open this by the 7th game" or something so we're just stuck here with the raid and explore guy being unable to do anything until we decide who gets screwed.

Of course.

Bump

Tfw bf finally arrives in england soon and Ill be able to force him to play seasons with me and my dad

How's seasons anyways

>tfw I noticed the face on the hood

Only played it for the first time this weekend after having it since christmas and it's quickly becoming my favourite game.

I guess you could compare it to a TCG like magic but not really. You're compeating for a points high score and once you get your basics down you'll be looking for ways to set up big crazy combos (I set up one today while playing against my dad that was about bouncing the same card back to my hand a couple of times and playing it over and over, getting extra bonuses from the cards I already had in play)

On top of that there's the whole system where the months pass and seasons change which affect a whole stockmarket/economy with how much you can transmuste/sell your mana into points and then the game culminates after 3 years with a big scoring session of the cards you've played ala carcassonne.

tl;dr: wizards spend three years in a forest obataining mana so they can equip magical bling and summon cute pets and get more points than the other wizards

Its a hamster face :3c

help me get the right gifts. the people im gifting are not full fledged table top nerds but i've been getting them into it. so far they are rather fond of biblios, dixit, and deception murder in hong kong

any suggestions?

How many players?

well heres the thing, they're brothers so i mean getting a 2 player game would be alright, but they often have a ton of friends coming in and out so number of players is variable....

i was thinking bout sushi go party because its drafting like biblios, seems like its got legs, and it goes up to 8 players.

anyways enough rambling lol; number of players i'd say the more flexibility the better, not aiming for any particular number. preferably something that can handle a decent group

Carcassonne can go from 2-5 players without feeling like it's lost something. Splendor is the same but is 2-4 players.

Alternativley One night ultimate werewolf ore the resistance work really well for higher player counts.

If you're unsure I'd go for carcassonne, erryone loves building french countrysides

thanks for the suggestions :) Splendor totally slipped my mind but that seems right up their alley!

Codenames is another possibility that can support a large amount of players

Friend of a friend was invited to join us for a big six player game of the Game of Thrones bg. Everything went well at first until the second half, then he started getting super intense about the game. He was probably one turn from winning when his biggest force on the board got steamrolled into submission. Dude raged and stood up from the table without being careful, ended up knocking pieces all over the place and stormed out without helping clean up the mess he made. Never played tabletop with him after that.

Within a year, my (now) ex let her dog rip apart my copy of the game. Haven't had the heart to buy a new copy.

Why not make the bitch buy you one?

Anyone here has any take on Abyss? It looks really fun and simple to get people into. Art looks amazing. I'm considering buying it.

I've got bigger problems than a destroyed board game, like how she's trying to claim I'm her kid's dad when she found out she was a month pregnant four months after the last time we did anything.

Oh man, that's so low! Insist on paternity tests, you don't want to get leeched so fucking hard.

How is Spirits of the Rice Paddy? I'm curious about that one.

To the user asking about if you could fit LCG in the jewelry trays, here's a pic with some malifaux playing cards for reference. Your cards, provided they're standard cards, would fit perfectly if you stored them vertically. You should have just enough space to put 4 poster board dividers and everything fit perfectly.

Pic is two 2" trays stacked on top of each other, one with the bottom cut out. Skip this option, and just get 4" trays from gems on display.