Magic Deck Build Questions

tl;dr: I want advice on building a mana acceleration deck, specifically, the best ways to produce a lot of land/mana

I have a few fun solid decks that I enjoy playing, but I am wanting to make a new deck and I had some questions regarding its construction.

I want it to be designed for group play and I was thinking of attempting to make a 5-color deck. This goes against my traditional deck building method, as usually I come up with strategy I want to do first, and then build it with whatever is necessary to make that happen.

I want this deck to be versatile and fun for a big group, with lots of micro-strategies, rather than a single focused deck (like my other decks). I was considering going for a mana acceleration as the main focus, and that's the part that I'm having trouble figuring out.

I have done mana acceleration in the past. I use glimmer lands with quicksilver amulets in my Eldrazi deck, but this is a bit different, since I'm trying for a multi-color deck. I knew about how to make the Eldrazi deck to work, but I want advice on building a new mana acceleration deck. What cards should I look for, what is a good method of going about this? We also play casually, so we are not stuck in any one block. If it's not possible to do mana acceleration for a 5-color, then I will stick to green (as it's one of my favorite colors).

>I was considering going for a mana acceleration as the main focus
How does this win you the game? I understand you can Fireball with infinite mana, but what's your win condition?

Why do you want to focus on mana acceleration? Do you want to play big creatures or big spells?

Eternal Witness and Genesis Wave. Play whatever that adds more mana than you can add to your mana pool off lands and dudes. Shit like Utopia Sprawl, Wild Growth etc.

Typically I play with big creatures. Currently, I haven't decided on a win condition yet. I'm building this in sort of the opposite way I usually do. Typically, I come up with a win condition first, and then figure out a way to make that happen. This time, I'm trying something different. A part of me wants to go through my collection of cards and find a lot of small win conditions with a lot of weird ways to win, which is why I'm saving that for after I figure out how I'm doing my mana. I know this sounds ridiculous, but I'm not really trying to build a focused super powerful deck right now. Basically, my friends are sick of fighting my other decks and I'm trying to come up with something different and I don't know what direction I'm heading yet.

awesome. I think I actually have some of those cards already. I might have to cannibalize some older decks

The combination of Eternal Witness and Gensis Wave is interesting. I know I have some abundant growths, I will see if I have the others. I remember using them for really rudimentary mana acceleration when I had a deck that was sort of slapped together several years ago. I'm glad you brought those up.

rule question about Utopia Sprawl. Does it add an extra mana to the forest mana that you tap? Or does it essentially change the forest mana to a mana color of your choosing?

>Does it add an extra mana to the forest mana that you tap?

Yes. As long as that forest is being tapped for mana you get an extra mana of any colour.

Why not run General Tazri?

There's an ally that adds mana based on number of allies, a lot of potential kill cons in it, and you can always put half combos in and steal pieces from other players with things like preator's grasp.

that is really good. I reread the abundant growth card i have and it sucks, it just changes the forest mana into any color mana. I guess it doesn't suck, but it's not mana acceleration. Thank you for telling me about utopia sprawl.

>I was thinking of attempting to make a 5-color deck.

Hybrid mana cards could help with that.

whoa, that's a solid card for 5-color. Is that from a new expansion? I could consider running some kind of Ally deck.

>removes this card from the game

whoa, it's not even "exile"

What's the format and budget,OP?
Pauper has this neat UG ramp/land destruction deck where you use horned kavu to bounce wood elves, blastoderms, and mwonvuli acid moss.

Sorry, that was supposed to be R/G. Apparently I'm just as bad at typing as I am at magic.

No format. We play with really loose rules, we have the entire magic library to play around with for our games. We do have a few rules. The power 9 are forbidden unless we want to play a super broken game and we don't play mill decks. Nothing against mill decks, we just don't find them that fun to play or play against in our group.

do you have a link to the deck?

It is. Old wording.

There are a few ways to make a lot of mana quickly.

I've found you don't really need a lot of mana.

You only need enough.

What you do with your mana is more important

than how much you have.

I don't understand how that works for mana acceleration. It looks like you are just turning a land into an artifact and they both act the same way.

oh, it's zero cost and it works as adding 2 land in a turn. THe downside though, is it requires you to have both it and a land card in your hand at the same time.

Chrome Mox only requires a colored spell. Mox Diamond requires a land. The "down side" is that you net card disadvantage by way of eating two cards out of your hand to net one permanent. If you're planing on multiplayer games, I would not recommend them unless you know what you're doing.

yes, although interesting, that's not something I'll go for.

Them some expensive cards anyway, breh. If you ever transition to 1v1, fast mana is where its at my man. Good luck and hail Yawgmoth.