What started it all?

What was it that personally got you into Veeky Forums related things
Just a comfy thread talking about past experience and happy memories
My dad bought himself me and my brothers a shit ton of magic cards which led to the collection i have now. I didnt get into D&D till Veeky Forums screencaps got popular so thanks tg

I originally thought it was the usual things. A sixth edition MtG starter, the Bretonnia vs Lizardmen Warhammer Fantasy starter box and a copy of Heroquest, giving me direct routes to all the main sorts of tabletop gaming.

However, I discovered something much, much older than that which was surprising and delightful. We had a really old, rugged cassette player with a shitty little attached microphone. My brother and I mostly used it for playing stuff our parents taped off the radio or for recording various silly things, but a selection of old tapes reminded me of my first experience ever doing an RPG style collaborative narrative.

It was with my dad, on that stupid little recorder. Him telling us a story with my brother and I as the main characters, us making stupid jokes or mentioning our favourite TV shows (Power Rangers came up a lot), and my dad working with it to create a story, leading us and using what we gave him to make something really unique.

My dad never knew about or was into D&D or any of that, but somehow his simple little storytelling game with his sons translated into a lifelong love of roleplaying for me, and the memory of those simple, silly little tapes brings me so much joy.

Anime club folks that were raised on the stuff invited me to join in high school. Messed around in a game with a barbarian and a druid+wolf companion and got hooked, fell into the abyss of older editions, then other RPG systems. Technically I played YGO TCG and MTG, but I didn't understand it as a hobby outside itself until then.

Really technically Pokemon TCG collections in elementary school might count but likewise it was Contact rather than Immersion.

Vin D.We were a group of 15 gamers and after we saw that video we tried D&D.
now its 3 tables of D&D every friday and saturday

forgot pic

Used to play Yugioh, which led me to MtG, which led me here.

My natural state is a LARPer apparently.

I used to play make believe with my friend when i was younger, often gathering a group of kids to have an adventure with. It was silly, high fantasy, and the story was more collective creativity than anything cohesive. Eventually we started writing down rules, and making character sheets so it'd become more and more cohesive. The i started writing situations and events for us to play out. was a fun way to spend recess.

Then when i was... what 12? my buddies older bro heard us talking about it and asked us if we were 'dnd nerds' and started making fun of us for telling stories and having fun.

I proceeded to find out as much as i could about dnd and various roleplaying games and had my first tabletop session at 14.

Haven't looked back.

thats so fucking cool

I got into Magic: The Gathering myself; a friend dragged me into Warhammer some time later, though I've never really cared for the game itself and mostly just read about the lore and setting. A brief glance over one of Know Your Meme's pages led me to the Towergirls CYOA, and from there I got into Veeky Forums and the rest of Veeky Forums.

Had a couple things that lead me down the Veeky Forums path.

I think the initial seed was finding the Dragonlance books at my high school library. I know the series has a bad rep on Veeky Forums due to kender, but they were my entry into that kind of fantasy, and I cherished them dearly. Raistlin probably was responsible for making me the wizardfag I am today.

Next was a smokey copy of D&D for Dummies for 3.5. Smelled like someone did nothing but exhale cigars onto it for years, but it was the closest thing I had to a real book since going in I had no idea what to get. Even was able to run a oneshot with some friends using rules I cribbed from it and the SRD that went surprisingly well.

Last big one was a gift package my dad's boss got for me since I had scoliosis surgery and was pretty much immobile for an entire summer. Had a 3.0 Player's Handbook and one of those starter sets that had some minis and tiles. Since I was in constant pain and high from pain drugs, it was a nice thing to help me get through that summer along with the first couple of episodes of Azumanga Daioh that I had a dvd of for some reason.

Veeky Forums itself really cemented my love for rpgs and wargames. I've been here since 2008, and despite some occasional low points I got Veeky Forums to thank for introducing me to so many great games. Makes me glad I came over to Veeky Forums from Gaia.

I got into magic first, back when seventh edition came out and my dad bought the starter set, thinking it was some kind of fun board game or card game. He liked the art, I fell in love with it.
Then a few years later I was down at my local game store, now since closed, and I started looking over the old 3.5 Monster Manual. I've always been a big fan of monsters of any kind, and it seemed cool so I bought it. Had no idea how to play, but I brought the book along with me to school to read at lunch and eventually to play with two of my friends. Every time we had a sleepover, we played 3.5 until the wee hours of the morning, alternating who was DM and who played when someone ran out of ideas. Ended up founding and running a D&D club back in high school too, starting pretty much a month after I got there and ending at graduation.
After that I started getting into 40k at the selfsame game shop when I saw the old Greater Daemon of Tzeentch mini and decided to save up and get it. It looks fucking terrible, and I still can't paint mini's worth a damn but I never stopped enjoying 40k, which eventually lead me to here looking up chapter creation threads.

Here's to more and better, for all of us.

A old bro of mine back in high school got me into by talking about his old dungeons and dragons game he was in.

Though I was playing RPG games since I was a kid I never really got into tabletop until he explained it to me. After that point me and my girlfriend and one other guy started a few games and it went off from there.

Hilariously enough he is also the guy that introduced me to the person that got me to play warhammer fantasy/40K.

I liked reading books. And my older brother was briefly into it. And he left his books lying around.

>>Shit at telling stories... Here's my first ever game of Pathfinder.
7th grade; Friend and I were killing it on a game called "Runescape."
Always talking about our strategies, and wasting no time to get onto an internet connection.
>New kid moves in and joins our group.
He starts talking about Pathfinder and how he used to GM for a group of people
>What the fuck is Pathfinder?
He wants us to play, and says it's a tabletop game. Everyone in the group declines, because it sounds a bit too much like a board game.
>Fast forward a few weeks.
We are all in his home, and about to play his stupid game.
His mom comes down before it starts and asks if we want a snack before we start playing.
>"Mom the game is in session! You are ruining the immersion!"
>Our faces when he turned down free munchies.
Anyways, after a heated streak of embarrassment, the game begins. We're all playing our Runescape characters.
I am a female elf, white hair, athletic build, and a master thief.
New kid tells me I have to roleplay with a female voice. So I do with this Mickey Mouse-esk voice.
Game starts in a Tavern, everyone is at the table passed out. Turns out a few thugs drugged them and thought it was convenient to dump them at a table in a tavern. All except for my character...
My character was trapped in a room. Tied down, and stripped of equipment.
I look at him confused and begin to bark out everything I know about escaping.
>Nothing works.
The group is mindlessly walking around the bar saying "can I do this?" "where are the hookers?" "I get drunk. LOL." While my character awaits for their arrival.
As time ticks, things progressively get worse for my character. Turns out Pathfinder is a game for rapists as he explains to me in vivid detail of what the thugs do to my elf.
>Asks me to stay in character and RP...
Ending here. I wont sleep tonight if I continue.

I love the fantasy genre, and I've read several whole series of fantasy books. My greatest influence was Terry Pratchett - rest in peace - and his writing made me think about how characters can be realistically conveyed in an unrealistic world, and that makes it all the better.

I don't know what made me start, maybe it was loneliness. But I'm not sure I'll ever give it up, it's one of the few things that lets me channel imagination into a character. It's made me debate taking up writing as a profession.

My college roommate convinced me to try Pathfinder after tons of skepticism because of the stereotype. Once we started playing, I really got into it, rolling up character after character with backstories and full equipment. I really got interested in roleplaying and the unlimited options of the theater of the mind.

But... once we started to actually play, I grew to dislike PF. I wasn't looking for a system with so many rules and restrictions, and neither of us really liked how the classes worked. I fixed some of the problems we were running into by making an automated spreadsheet to take care of all the rules, but we still weren't satisfied.

Nearly 2 years later, after looking to many more systems for inspiration and finding what I like, I'm now using my own system and couldn't be having more fun. I've learned a lot from tg, and I'm glad I had a friend who coerced me into getting past the daunting beginnings of the hobby.

Now I'm hoping that I can share my simple system with more of my friends and introduce them to limitless fun of tabletop rpgs.

I got the AD&D DM's Guide , Player's Handbook, and Monster manual when I was 7 years old. Didn't understand the rules, didn't have the patience to learn them, but in the games of imagination my friends and I played in backyards, I was an incredible DM.

Now that I've taken the time to learn how to do it I'm not anywhere near as good.

Warhammer 40k threads brought me here, and CYOA threads kept me here.

In primary school my friend's dad had a huge Veeky Forums collection (literally an entire room in his house lined with shelves filled with his armies - Warhammer, 40K, historical wargames from all different periods, scale models of tanks and planes, you name it and this guy had glued it and painted it.

He used to organise tournaments for all his son's friends every few months, usually 40K or WHFB, and he'd lend one of his armies to any kids that didn't have their own stuff to bring. Before long, most of us had an army of our own. Sometimes he'd also preface the whole thing with a painting or terrain-building session where he'd teach us the tricks of the trade.

God damn, that shit was so fucking cash. Why was life so much fucking better when I was ten?

I've still got a trophy from one of those tournie days, it's literally just a plastic space marine on a cheap trophy pedestal but it brings back a lot of really fond memories.

It would have started for me in primary school. Myself and my brother would buy pokemon cards. Then as I got older it was yugioh. It wasn't till my late teens that I got into miniatures when I bought a box of Skaven and from there it really kicked off. Now I mostly play historical stuff like DBA and Bolt Action but also a bit of SW Armada and Blood Bowl.

Near the end of my junior year of high school a pal of mine invited me and a couple other guys to play in a game he was running for something called Hackmaster. I didn't really know what it was, and once he explained I was kind of skeptical, thinking that roleplaying games were uncool. Once I tried it I was immediately hooked and have been ever since. Now I'm the president of my colleges Roleplay Club.

The pal that got me into ttrpgs might not have been the coolest guy in the world, but I really am glad I met him. I wish I would've been a better player back then.

Thanks Ted.

Cyoag

Played some Yugioh and Pokemon cards as a kid, nothing special. Then I found 40k, as a setting, and fell in love with it. Experienced this lovably grimdark setting through DoW and the Black Library. Eventually I found 1d4chan, and fell in love with the stories chronicled there... so it was natural to come to where they were forged, Veeky Forums itself. From there, the lead in to actually playing... or wanting to play... tabletop games, to be able to forge these stories myself, was inevitable. And here I am, elegan/tg/entlemen. At your service.

Overall exposure to tg stuff consisted of me collecting Pokemon cards in my childhood. I got into MTG my sophomore year in HS, then got rid of all my cards junior year because I wanted to focus on different things. I watched 40k batreps on youtube since sophomore year too after some friends talked to me about 40k and got hooked, but never was hesitant to buy any minis since they are expensive and I've always been tight with money. I also discovered Tower Girls and liked the character designs and the concept.

My younger brother got back into MTG and drew me back into it too. My HS friends played a lot of homebrew roleplay games and stuff like Fallout and we've had a couple DnD sessions. We don't have enough overlapping freetime to have another one soon though.

These all collectively brought me here around August 2015. This isn't my primary board that I visit though. I mainly go to /v/'s drawthread and not much else.

>but never was hesitant to buy any minis
*I was always hesitant I mean.

This made me happy