EDH/Commander general

Walls Are Hard Edition

>Old thread:

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Question:
Good offense or strong defense?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/misbeghaving/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/nicol-bolas-age-of-dragons/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm building Edric. What's my wincon if I don't want to use infect?

I prefer a good offense, but the problem is that makes you look like a threat.
Which in a multiplayer game, is a great way to lose quickly.

Biomass mutation can steal the game if you've got a good amount of mana to dump into it.

Can't decide on my next deck.
It is for a semi-casual multiplayer meta and I have a budget for ~$100.

Choices are:

>Mogis Punishment
>Anya Groupslug
>Trostani Lifegain

That's a fun card in Gwafa Hazid

>tfw there will never be another block like Time Spiral
It hurts to live.

Is it just me or does life from the loam in gitrog make it too easy to win?

Welcome to Dredge, friend

But its the only dredge I run in gitrog, does it still count?

Is eternal dominion worth playing?

Is it fun?

Meh, I tried it in my talrand deck for a bit of late game fun but only casting one spell each turn wasn't great and there were only so many threats to steal.

It was pretty tedious.

Epic spells are usually trash unless you can hive mind them.

They're never going to reprint Doubling Season, are they? I don't even play Atraxa, I want it for Ghave

Does anyone use partner commanders? I've been brewing up a silas/kraum grixis artifacts list but I haven't tested it yet

Mythic rare in eternal/modern masters 2017. And you better be thankful and grovel at wotc's feet for their benevolence you filthy peasant

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/misbeghaving/
Been working on a Ghave list today. Still need to cut about 11 cards. Anyone got any tips?

Him plays dat

>Good offense or strong defense?
Defense imo. Most of my games are 4 player pods, so it makes more sense to be slow and cautious early game rather than draw too much aggro. My meta isn't super cutthroat though?

What are must-haves for mono black, and this OG zirself?

take out all the lands, shuffle shuffle shuffle

then draw 11 cards face down, don't ever look at them for as long as you live.

oops meant to post

this might be fun for Braids.

>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/misbeghaving/
Retribution of the Ancients
Nissa
Managorger
Ivorytusk
Hour of Reckoning
Second Harvest
Abzan Ascendancy

Monoblack? Urborg, Cabal Coffers/Magus of the Coffers, Withering Boon, boardwipes.

For the gontmeister itself? Panharnonicon, Conjurer's Closet and Necromancy

Post Meta.

Also I'm thinking of making a second Dragon deck but I'm worried it'll feel/play the same as my other dragon deck. (Thinking of Intet the Dreamer)

Anyone have experience building two decks with similar themes? And is it still enjoyable to play both?

Format?

whats your list for bolas? i am interested in building him

You've got a gay beard

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/nicol-bolas-age-of-dragons/
Here you go.
This is my list from a month ago, atm I'm trying to work in more artifacts and make my curve nicer. So I havent had a chance to upload that yet.

Multiplayer generally, but my Tymna and Vial Smasher is better for 1v1

This

thanks broski

HASTE OUTLETS
GREEN HATE OUTLETS
what they be?

What's the deal with every femanon having a major hardon for angels?

Because they're all shown as strong independent woman. Dur.

Akromas Memorial
Concordant Crossroads

That's it unless you count single target stuff, like equipment or Hall of the Bandit Lord.

i though its mostly just GW in general

What's the deal with every redditor having a major hardon for rick and morty?

whats the best way to ruin any edh pod?

dats me.

that's cool
>Norin chilling at a tavern
>Wizard smoking a pipe near him
>the wizard makes the slightest movement
>Norin flips his table and dives out the window breaking it
>the window was next to an open door

Some people like stuff because they find it fun.

>Good offense or strong defense?
Good offense. Strong, consistent, early threats are the best way to break parity in group singleton. Not to mention combos are fun.
Speaking of fun who else here /combo/?
What's your favorite kind? Storm? Eggs? Doomsday? Infinite mana /draw/damage?
I've been playing mono green storm for some months now and it's just the funnest edh I've played. Every single game is unique, many different ways to victory, some requiring very tight conservation of mana.

Getting pissy about how another member of the pod chooses to enjoy EDH. Be it infect, superfriends, pillowfort, stax, ramp, control. Whatever. EDH is about individual expression and nothing is more annoying than that guy at the pod playing Mayel/Kaalia degenerate nonsense and complaining that "control has no place in EDH." As of there's a level of honor cheating big things into play has that other archetypes are bereft of.

hahaha, hes my only commander i have. run stupid shit like mindmoil, moonring mirror, and spiral embers/fateful showdown. you know, for when you want to take half your deck and throw it at someone.

>went to work at the bar
>things are going fine for most of the night
>suddenly, fights everywhere
>some guy literally got his teeth knocked out
>I got sucker punched pretty good trying to pull two other guys apart
>immediately hit the guy back as hard as I could square in the chest
>he made this slack jawed stunned face, crumpled, and started whimpering like a bitch
>had the strange realization that this is the exact reaction I want next time I play EDH
What deck should I build anons? I want to absorb a hit, and then hit people so hard it makes them lose their will to live. I was thinking something Jeskai could be pretty cool, maybe Ruhan? I've never built Jeskai, is it fun?

Do you consider it a win for your deck if it wins while someone else is playing it? Conversely, do you feel like it's a win if you're playing a deck someone else made and it performs like it's supposed to?

Basically, what's your stance: how much of a win is the deck and how much is the player?

Yes

Want Jeskai? Narset. Otherwise play passive aggressively and play stax. That's the best way for others to lose the will to live

Stax.

You could build a fairly efficient Vela the Night-Clad deck within that budget.

For Gonti, just put Panharmonicon and Conjurers Closet. Other nice cards are Squelching Leeches/Nightmare (Good in any Monoblack) Also, it doesn't hurt to have an Exotic Orchard so you can use your opponents activated effects.

>Atraxa Infect
So what you are saying is that you are literally the worst kind of person.

Atraxa infect isn't that great in Commander. Specifically because if people see anything with Infect, then they immediately drop what they were doing to make sure that the infect player dies right now.

Currently making a Ravos/Kydele deck and have no idea what to make my win condition. I was thinking of using things that draw big and then maybe using one of the Hyrda's or Hangarback.

You really overestimate infect. If you somehow get a poison counter to each opponent to proliferate for 10 turns it's just bad. If you want to play good infect, it's either Skittles or Mimeoplasm and the latter will be a copy of Skittles anyway and it's an instant win anyway unless you're a retard.
Atraxa infect isn't even good because the proliferate is super slow.

You want to absorb hits and hit back AND you want Jeskai? Boy oh boy if only there was a commander in those colors and that can potentially use combat shenanigans

Giving something double strike in response to casting deflecting palm works, right? I'm not exactly sure

>10 turns
Dude, he overestimated, you underestimated. My Atraxa Infect can easily give everyone 10 in 3 turns or less.

can you clarify what you are looking for? fun/viability/uniqueness? to me, the boros one seems the most interesting but boros is painfully bad so maybe not

I have a Momir Vig deck, an Angry Omnath deck, and a Sydri deck.

Am I that guy based on my commanders?

I'm legitimately curious how you'd do this now.

Yes but it's okay, I'm that guy too
>Tasigur
>MW
>Meren

What's skittles?

I think people dislike infect because it's incredibly easy to pull off a one-turn kill out of the blue.

Like a Lost Leonin in a Kemba deck. Killing all three players in a single turn is pretty amusing.

UNFUCKINGCANNY

Literally the only girl I've ever known who plays Magic. Favorite colors: G/W, favorite creature types: Angels and Cats

So I picked up atraxa, and I kind of want to do a +1 counter theme, but I have also wanted to do a super friends deck. Would combining the two work or should I just pick one or the other, and which one would be more fun.

>Skittles

Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon

Once I have an infect counter on everyone, it's just a simple matter of
Atraxa, Contagion Engine and Contagion Clasp. The deck has a lot of draw and control, meaning that getting all 3 out at the same time and keeping them out isn't immensely difficult, especially since I also have Padeem giving the engines Hexproof.

Damn, that was meant for

So you rely on the fact that no one has any removal and they just sit and take it letting you do your thing for 3 turns straight?

But how are you doing all that by turn 3?

Have in mind, in 3 turns =/= in turn 3

I see it hard, but plausible if he has enough protection for the engines, but not even near magical christmasland or something

That Guy Uprising when?

hence why I said:
>The deck has a lot of draw and CONTROL
Lots of counter-spells, because I was sick of people countering my shit.

Just made a Gitrog deck, any tips mate? Got life from the loam as well already.

>turn 3
>have atraxa, contagion engine and contagion glasp and everyone else is dead to poison
I won't believe that. I don't think it's possible to kill everyone else (assume 3 players) with poison that early.
Sure you can entomb and reanimate skittles, and best you can the do is with fast mana to play Unspeakable Symbol, but having a hasted Skittles on the field you need at least 5 black mana with the symbol.
It might be doable, but really a stretch.

Don't forget lifeline

Lifeline is fucking funny with Gonti

I hate that the card text is completely different from oracle text: the effect is in fact, symmetric even thpugh the text in the card seems to imply the opposite

Infect is the combination of Poison and Wither, can't you have a Poison deck that doesn't even have Infect?

You mean "poisonous" which was keyworded only with that one sliver unless I have missed something.
You can have the old poison cards and make a deck without infect, but infect is way more powerful that it's silly to not include it.

What are some nice commanders that isn't shit on a budget? (100$)

spicy secret snek

damn I thought it had Flash

What are some staples in Rakdos group slug?

Enduring Ideal does work.

angels are basically a big old female power fantasy

they're powerful without having big ugly mussles, they're beautiful in an otherworldly divine way and they're thin and graceful

>Lifeline is fucking funny

ffty

it usually ends the game by the time it has gone a full turn. i'll often have something like sidisi on board when i cast it, and then i'll just tutor 3-4 cards and win. but it's such a meme card with certain other cards (gray merchant, sidisi) that i'm probably going to cut it from my deck soon

Getting mad because one of the people in my new online playgroup insists every deck everyone plays be free of tutors.

I have several toolbox and combo decks I love that I can't play, which is aggravating because I worked very hard on them. I am this mad.

again, the original user said in 3 turns, not in turn 3. That's what I was talking about

your friend is right you know. i'd agree to "no tutors" rule in an instant if someone in my group suggested it, and i run like 14 tutors in my 3 decks

Pick one, trying to do both will water down the deck and make it perform poorly.

Superfriends is costly and gets boring quick

+1/+1 counters is done much better by ghave

Go infect atraxa

I know it's a long winded combo, but Myr Battlesphere + Nim's Deathmantle + Sac Outlet + Two Artifact sources that make 4 mana or more together is an infinite combo, right?

That's not impressive at all though.
My Oloro deck can win in a single turn if I've got the right cards in hand, so can my sen triplets deck, my Kami of the crescent moon deck, my lazav deck etc.

That doesn't make them good.

ashnods as your sac outlet cuts off the last part.

Late reply but I have a friend who runs this and the green epic spell in Kruphix as his wincon, ideally twincasting it as many times as possible. The deck is all mana acceleration, twincasts, and flash enablers. it actually works pretty well but there are obviously more Spike ways to win.

Reporting in

Who /monoblack/ here?

Seconding this. Sunforger is great with him (it gets deflecting palm too)

It's just killspells.dec because I got sick of losing to creatures due to lack of removal. But with all the mana doublers I got people usually kill it first cause it can get scary.

Meant to reply to

Why yes, I monoblack

Do you run any board wipes?