Aether Revolt is such a shit set. What's the point of even opening packs? The mythics are jank as fuck...

Aether Revolt is such a shit set. What's the point of even opening packs? The mythics are jank as fuck, even Heart of Kiran and Tezz aren't great. 2 weeks from now, there won't be a single card in this set above $15 TCG Mid. Worst assortment of Mythics since Journey into Nyx.

MTGFinance people will push either HoK or Tezz above $30, don't worry

Heart is $20 now (granted it will likely settle around $12-15 when the set officially drops).

Anyway, what's wrong with that? For YEARS, tier 1 Standard decks cost on average $300, just 60% of the current average of $500. Top-tier budget decks ($100 or less) were much more common back then, too, two famous examples being RG Fires and Bloodbraid Jund.

Is this Rob Zombie?

>What's the point of even opening packs?
Because you enjoy playing the game?

>set is powerful and expensive
RRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>set is flavorful
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>set is flavorful, strong and expensive
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>set is weak and cheap
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>set have $100 randomly inserted in
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>set doesn't have $100 randomly inserted in
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>No chase mythics

You giant FUCK that's literally the best part about Aether Revolt. This is the first set in a fucking long time that isn't coming with a $40 mythic.

Even Heart of Kiran only slots into very specific deck types

This desu fampai

There is literally a legendary thopter, this is quite possibly the single best set ever. Fuck you

I completely agree with you, OP. I've been playing a long time, and for people who like to actually have replayability in their cards, this set is absolute shit. Purely made for the people who eat up Maro's shit fresh from his ass.

I miss good cards.

This is a good thing. Makes standard more affordable and makes the most played decks not just a collection of mythics.

As for the price, if getting your money back is what you're worried about, you're an idiot if you buy packs at retail prices, but even if you do, wait for eternal formats obviously not modern to break some of the cards. The most recent example is Leovold, which started at 11, now it's at 50.

Why what's wrong with Modern?

Modern is just Extended with a different name, that's why prices don't go up as much. Frontier will rotate Modern out this year, just like an Extended Rotation.

For refernce, compare the price of Leovold to the price of Grim Flayer.

Man I love Grim Flayer but every time I get one out it gets dealt with next turn

>artifact block

>weak as fucking shit

god damn you idiots had one job

Fast format without fast mana, some of the most interesting cards on Aether Revolr are simply too slow for Modern.

The root of the problem is that Modern is pretty much set in stone. There isn't a lot of place to brew new, effective decks that don't get btfo by the top tier decks in the format

Legacy is pretty much set in stone, too.

Not true. The reason why Leovold is more expensive than Flayer is because Eldritch Moon was opened much more than Conspiracy 2. A better parallel to Leovold would be Jace Vryn's Prodigy, while Monastery Mentor and Nahiri the Harbinger make more sense as parallels to Flayer.

Since Veeky Forums came into existence, has there ever been a Magic set that didn't have threads about how shitty and under-powered it is?

no, everyone is just grumpy all the time.

>This desu fampai
RRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

Leovold also spiked in price because he's completely revolutionizing BUG in Legacy and Vintage.

Khans.

>This is a good thing. Makes standard more affordable
We all know this isn't true

>spend $500 on Modern deck
Get unlimited play time and close to identical sellout value

>spend $500 on standard
>get 4 months of play time and next to zero sellout value unless you sell everything before it rotates
>have to invest hundreds more every 4 months to stay meta

No. MaRo's NWO came before Veeky Forums, so this board has never been old enough to experience the beauty of old standard.

the illustration irks me. I get that you have to be willing to give it a willing disbelief and even not it's still flavorful as fuck but NIGGA
GRAVITY DON'T WORK THAT WAY

>RRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!
RRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You must not remember Khans, aka 'The only things of value in this entire set are the fetchlands, everything else is junk!' according to Veeky Forums at the time

>go to prerelease
>get first place
>awarded 22 total packs
>not a single foil
How the Hell does that happen? Is that even possible?

But I love that the mythics are fucking universally awful.