/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

Monocolored/Multicolored matters edition!

To make cards online, register for free here:
mtg.design/
or download MSE for free from here:
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post your shitty card!
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources.
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Other urls found in this thread:

dropbox.com/s/c9rp19ruhismaz8/Ilval, City of Turmoil.mse-set?dl=0
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Something tells me the Guilds one is better than the Gateless one.

Rolled 10, 3, 1, 3, 5 = 22 (5d10)

Guess I might as well use this.

Rolled 9, 1, 7, 4, 8 = 29 (5d10)

Multicolor (BG), sorcery, card advantage, CMC 2, uncommon

Multicolor (UR), instant, tax/control, CMC 3, rare

Eh, I feel like it should just have you mill yourself for a static number, then it deals 2 damage for each creature card milled that way. As it is now, I feel like it won't even do anything half the time.

The gateless one is better since it's at least 2WW: Exile target monocolored permanent.

Not sure about this. Really had no idea what to do with the last versions, but I really like the idea of turning creatures into lands and lands into creatures. Which really ties into her lore, since she's a being that is part plant-life and part animal-life.

Really? Hmm. Should I tone it down a bit then?

I promised these last night. Sorry, guy who posted and got ignored right before the thread died, that was meant as more of a teaser and I forgot to post these until just now.

For posterity:
WU is based around artifacts
UB is Gonti meets Bane Alley Broker meets Pyxis of Pandemonium
BR is an aggressive demon that won't stay dead
RG is fight club on an elf body
GW is the equivalent of tending to bonsai trees in order to perform arcane rituals
WB is a vaguely Theros-themed sack-for-value engine
UR is a goblin with experience handling dangerous chemicals and magical reagents
BG is an artifact-hating plant zombie with +1/+1 counter interactions
RW is an aggressive body that makes more aggressive bodies
UG is a Frog Boar, and also a biomancer's best friend

You should have this make you discard three cards when it hits the yard.

Haven't really done Raven much before. She's magic, so her skillset is of course incredibly vague. So she gets a repeatable Recoil, essentially. Thoughts, opinions?

I will give you feedback for all the, but it will be quite a while until I'm able to, sorry. From what I can see right now, some of them are definitely better than others. For example, an ETB trigger for Lieutenant seems ridiculous to me, since it'll pretty much only work if you cast the card after you've already cast your Commander, and I really don't want to hold onto something like Animated Fungus just so I can destroy one more artifact.

You have to dream a little bigger darling.

No idea if it's balanced, but it sure looks cool.

Oh fuck, she's disgustingly good. So I play her in Grixis and just make you discard a card for every one mana spell I play? And she can't be targeted? So for the rest of the game you don't get to play, period?

The flavor is fantastic and the synergy is great, but... Maybe an 8 drop?

Holy shit you made my dick hard.

Also, I finished basic revisions on my set and aside from finding art, I think it's all but ready to playtest. Here's the link if you would kindly put it in the pastebin, Co-user

dropbox.com/s/c9rp19ruhismaz8/Ilval, City of Turmoil.mse-set?dl=0

big

Otherwise known as the packup and go home.

Deadshot. He's very good with guns. Basically his only power. So, I wanted to do something with pinging, specifically, very cheap pinging, since I think that gets across his flavor of putting lots of bullets in people. Of course, I don't want it to be broken, so this version uses aim counters. Since he's a mercenary in the lore, I was thinking of doing some political stuff with him, but I think first I want to make sure the base concept is good.

>Raven
Not quite how she's supposed to work, though I only noticed the problem after I posted it (of course). Discard is really only supposed to trigger if something gets bounced, so I'll have to change that. Actually, now I'm wondering if it should have a nontoken restriction as well. As for Hexproof, I threw that in because I didn't think the card was good enough because I'm shit at balance. Probably just going to remove that entirely. Thanks a bunch for your feedback.

>pastebin
OK, got it, should be there in a few minutes. Also, who are you? I don't remember

Oh wait, you're the guy whose entire set I gave feedback to in the last thread, right?

Nice art. Not entirely sure of the effect though.

Cassie, Wonder Girl. Honestly, I don't really think she has enough unique flavor to make an ability that just fits her, so I just repeated the Amazon tribal effect with enchantments, and made it a Fight trigger. Sorry if it comes off as kinda bland.

Done. The Dropbox link is in the Pastebin. I put it into the in-development section, just tell me when you think it's done enough to move it to completed.

Well, I'm off to work. Might be able to comment a bit, but it's going to be a few hours until I get back to my comp.

This basically lets you kill any one creature you want each turn.

> (You)
>>pastebin
>OK, got it, should be there in a few minutes. Also, who are you? I don't remember
>Oh wait, you're the guy whose entire set I gave feedback to in the last thread, right?

Yes, I am. Thanks again for the feedback, CO-user senpai. You the real MVP.

Animated Fungus is more or less intended to be a +1/+1 matters conditional card- BG, or at least Green, has been caring a lot about who has counters and who doesn't. As garbage as it is to say "good in the right decks", it's designed to be a low-cost card valuable at any point in the game.

Casting it early can counteract other early artifacts or create deterrence, and casting it after your commander gives you more utility.

Honestly looking at it, it should probably be two +1/+1s on entry and an extra one each upkeep/end as long as the commander is out, though.

Uh, yeah. But I think it's at least a little different from
>T: Destroy target creature.

Aw, thanks. I just try to help any way I can. And I will look through the updated set later, but is there anything in particular you want feedback on?

Maybe change the Lieutenant ability to a conditional Corpsejack Menace?

Fire impression is that there's way too much text.

>WU
"converted mana cost 4 or greater"
Interesting, but there's nothing white about it.

>UB
Just save lines and exile them face up.
MTG doesn't use the singular "their".

>BR
Way too strong/cheap on the creature part. It may be interesting instead if the Lieutenant ability was a way to avoid a downside, rather than an additional bonus.

>RG
Tame. Functional.

>GW
You are trying to jam too much on one card.
"At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control your command"
"The next spell you cast this turn has convoke"

>WB
"Whenever you sacrifice a creature, if you control your commander..."
Flicker and indestructible have some degree of redundancy and just seeks to add more text to the card.

>UR
"instant and sorcery spells you cast cost"
It does some interesting things in a very convoluted way. It might as well be an enchantment because it's creature status is negligible.

>BG
Combine the first two abilities.
If you don't have lieutenant, it's very anemic. And if you do, it's nothing special. Also, nothing black about it.

>RW
"when etb, if commander, effect"
Good without Lieutenant. Extremely efficient with. But in the grand scheme. not that great given the format.

>GU
The Lieutenant ability double depends on having your commander out. This would be a decent regular card, but it's a poor implementation of lieutenant.

Love the art and flavor. Actually, I think it's more useful for Red to have.

Nice, but needs P/T, even if it's 0/0.

>Aw, thanks. I just try to help any way I can. And I will look through the updated set later, but is there anything in particular you want feedback on?

Not at this moment, thank you. I'd like to mention that you may not agree with some of the decision I made towards cards you already gave criticism on, but I got feedback from several other people and worked with the aggregate of it for improvements on certain cards.

Hey, all. Another quick stop-in before it's back to grading papers for me. Dropping off the first complete draft of my multicolored commons. I'm sorry to come and go like this; as soon as I have a bit more time on my hands, I'll contribute to the threads in a more complete manner. Thanks for your time, your understanding, and your feedback. I appreciate them all.

"...where X is the amount of damage dealt." would be my guess at the last clause.

Yeah, that's cool. I don't think anyone should take just one user's word as gospel. I always encourage listening to multiple people and seeing what they say in common.

You know, I bet at least a few of the students play Magic. Ever thought of handing out extra credit? Joking aside, let's get to the cards.

>CM01
Seems OK I think. Have to ask though, why +2/+2 to a single creature instead of +1/+1 for all creatures? Just asking because I tend to see the latter in White more.

>CM02
Kinda sucks that Menace hasn't been used enough to get a lot of precedence for how it's costed when combined with other effects. I think this is fine though.

>CM03
Ah, you changed the trigger. But I thought you liked it more the way it was previously? Not saying you should change it back, just that I didn't think you would change it.

>CM04
Hmm, didn't think of this before, but maybe move bounce to additional cost like Deprive? Sorry, don't have anything else to say about it.

>CM05
Seems good.

>CM06
Still not seeing the GU in this.

>CM07
Can't even remember previous versions of this, so it's hard to say if this is the worst version of this I've seen or not. Why enchant player anyway? Hmm, maybe change to untapping a land or something?

>CM08
Seems fine.

>CM09
Seems fine.

>CM10
Sorry if I didn't notice this before, but it should be "When" not "Whenever" since realistically, the ability will only resolve once before leaving the battlefield.

>CM11
Seems fine.

>CM12
Kinda hard to say this is fine after the other user brought up Opt.

>CM13
Still curious how this performs in action.

>CM14
I like it.

>CM15
And still not liking this.

>CM16
Cool.

>CM17
Ugh, 7 mana and 3 life for a Fight? One it's probably going to die to, considering its low toughness. I really wish I had a suggestion for what to do with this thing.

>CM18
Nice.

>CM19
Altered Drown in Filth? OK.

>CM20
Seems OK.

Jesus that math is insane.

>1 Thermal Lance = +2/+0
>2 Thermal Lances = +8/+0
>3 Thermal Lances = +18/+0
>4 Thermal Lances = +32/+0
Though considering you need multiple Lances, I'm actually not certain how well it would do in actual gameplay.

>can't block creatures with flying
Something makes me wonder if this is unusual for creatures without reach?

>Something makes me wonder if this is unusual for creatures without reach?
I admit I totally derped there and was too focused on flavor.

Cruel Tribulation should probably target. Being able to hit lands actually makes it a lot worse.

I like the idea, but this thing would be incredibly impractical unless you get a computer to do the actual choosing for you. There really needs to be a way to narrow down the sheer number of things it can hit. Also, types are typically listen in alphabetical order. See Decimate.

Go mono-red and just hit lands, perhaps? Not sure, will think on it.

I suggest looking at stuff like Wild Swing and Capricious Efreet.

Yeah, I guess those are a better way to do it.

>card
Power out those Emrakuls, guys.

OK, new version of Raven, rebalanced. Before she had Hexproof, and the Recoil ability worked differently. Now it requires that you have to return something in order for a player to discard a card.

So... it's a worse version of Druids' Repository?

>So... it's a worse version of Druids' Repository?
Well its colorless, but yes.

>Raven
Seems fine.

Clayface. One of the versions before this one, that I had for a while, exiled creatures instead of killing them, then could become a copy of the exiled creature. This version skips that step entirely, allowing it to copy any creature on the battlefield or any creature card in a graveyard.

>Well its colorless, but yes.
True, I didn't consider that. But in that case, I'd rather it use counters like DR, but it can still only make C.

>Dominator of Forms
I really like this. Removal that's still very GU.

Quicksilver Gargantuan meets Shapesharer, sure. This certainly seems like a cleaner way to do it than you were (apparently) doing it before. Clones that don't catch ETB effects always feel a little disappointing, but I suppose that's the EDH player in me. There's value in turning yourself into a fat Eldrazi or something at Instant speed, for sure.

>card
One sided Howling Mine, or, "how to N-for-1 yourself without even trying."

Should just bottom the cards rather than force so many shuffles.

Jimmy Olsen. Yeah, never really been sure of this one. The idea is to reflect his job as a reporter. I'm not very good at coming up with these sort of more subtle, incremental advantage cards though.

>Clayface
Eh, I guess I could make a shapeshifter that flickers itself to abuse ETB effects. But I don't think I'll use it for Clayface. Again, thanks for the feedback.

>Freefall
Nice, I like it. Though there's a slight possibility that you wind up milling yourself, which would be kinda funny. And yeah, I agree with what the other guy said, just tuck the cards, don't shuffle.

>"how to N-for-1 yourself without even trying."
I don't know what this means though.

>I don't know what this means though.
Cast Freefall, tuck two cards, it gets destroyed before your next upkeep, congrats, you just 3-for-1'd yourself.

Ah, right, the Aura problem.

Not quite the Aura problem since regular enchantments are harder to remove than creatures.

To be fair, any strategy that requires devoting resources to a delicate permanent (i.e. 90% of all permanents) is liable to get ruined by well-timed removal. But things like Auras or Freefall are more liable than most.

Flickering clone, you say?

I don't know why I wrote upkeep. It should probably return on the end step. Whoops.

>Flickering clone, you say?
Nice, I like it.

And speaking of clones, here's this thing, which used to be a clone before. The idea is that he's a ghost, obviously, and he possesses people. The problem with cloning, however, is that the original stays on the battlefield as well. This version specifically I think gets across the flavor of possession better.

>your mana pool
Even if it's not enchanting a land you control?

Free mana is free mana.

I laughed, solid work.

For aggro-control Blue, or whatever. Playing with attack matters.

These are all quite elegant. Keep creating beauty user!

I'm going to attempt to contribute more to the thread, so I'm going to add my criticism on top of and in response to CO-user's criticism.

>CM02
I am not actually sure this should be a 4/4. Vigilance and Menace is a strong combination. I'm thinking 3/4, but it completely depends on how many things this can kill/bounce off of in your set. I'd say if it can kill more than a third of all other creatures in pure combat it would be fine, but any amount significantly more than that and it should be nerfed just a little bit.

>CM03
Exile at common is really strong, especially if you're using unearth as a faction mechanic. I'd recommend having a way to deal with enchantments with an upside in that faction for flavor purposes myself.

>CM07
The best way to think of this is as an Explosive Vegetation at common for three. It's a little too good at common as is, IMO. Maybe just add a mana at upkeep that doesn't empty until end of turn? Maybe just the precombat main phase?

>CM08
I was the guy who said that Plenitude felt samey with Urban Evolution. What about if you have pinnacle online, you can go get a basic land?

>CM12
What about if it went three deep with the exile and let you put one of those cards into your hand?

>CM15
I also feel like this is a little weak. What if you made it "unless that creature's controller pays X life?"

>CM17
This would be fine at 5cmc on the front end, especially with the life payment. Maybe add 2 or 3 to its butt though.

>CM20
There was a really good discussion in one of these threads as to why deathtouch auras don't exist/are really rare. The interaction with trample and first/doublestrike is just way too fucking strong. There are only 10 cards in existence that even reference First strike and Deathtouch on the same card. There are only 3 that reference Deathtouch and Trample that aren't planewalkers. The price is right, but the buff is too much.

>deathtouch auras
It's not so much that they don't or can't exist, just that the interaction they provide with other mechanics is likely the reason Wizards hasn't made many of them. I specifically brought up pinging in that discussion. But I think it's something like land destruction, in that Wizards will print cards for it, but they try to restrict the cost so it's not cheap and abusable.

Oh fuck I don't know what to do with this. I really need help with this, because this card has been kicking my ass for a while. Colin Wilkes, Abuse. He's a seemingly regular kid who can morph his body into a much, much stronger form. Anyone familiar with Bane? He basically turns into Bane. Now, I was using DFC for a while now to show how he transforms, but I just kept feeling like it was restricting and cumbersome, so I just removed it entirely. But now I still don't know where to go. Obviously he should buff himself, but I can't think of a way to do it that's interesting for a legend. Any and all feedback appreciated. Oh yeah, and sorry about the art. He hasn't really shown up a lot so it's going to be hard to get good art of him.

Where'd everyone go?

Not designing cards anymore, that's where. Speaking for myself, as it were.

Why not?

Uhh, fuck, this one is tough. I kinda like some of the DFC versions more, honestly. He can control the transformation, yeah? Maybe just let him flip whenever at the cost of a venom counter, and the reverse side prevents damage with the venom counters? Then balance it around getting the venom counters, I'd say.

Art challenge: Make a card using this art.

Big Barda. Loves combat. Not really anything else to say really. I just want to know if the drawbacks balance out the upsides.

Hmm, yeah, I guess I could start from there. Thanks for the feedback. Should the venom counters continue to buff the back side for +2/+2?

Because any contributions I may have made to this community will always be overshadowed by my inability to not be a faggot. Uninstalled MSE, deleted every set file and card I ever made, and it's for the best. I lurk once in a while to see how Timeanon is coming along with his stuff. I'm not even sure why I answered you, to be honest. I'm just headed back to obscurity anyway.

Fucking hell, you sound like me at times. Well, I guess in the end, it all comes down to one question: Do you enjoy making cards? If no, then you probably made the right decision, so you can invest your efforts into something you really enjoy. But if the answer is yes, I think you should go back to it, regardless of how the cards actually turn out, if you really enjoy it. Because yeah, like I said, I've had those exact same thoughts. But I realized that making cards is something I love doing, so I'm still here. Sometimes I'm disappointed in how my cards turn out, sometimes I feel like the threads would be better off without me. But making cards is something I really like doing, so I plan to keep doing it, even if it gets to the point I don't even post here.

>But I think it's something like land destruction, in that Wizards will print cards for it, but they try to restrict the cost so it's not cheap and abusable.
But Basilisk Collar, Gorgon Flail, and Gorgon's Head are all fairly cheap and "abusable" (Equipment far more so than any Aura with the same effect), although each has only received one printing.

I think it's more that deathtouch tends to be a one and done sort of effect. It's most often used to trade with a higher value card, so you don't get a lot of long term use out of it.

True, but notice how even the cheapest, in order to cast them and attach them to just one creature, costs three mana, same as the auras (except for color, obviously). And then an extra two mana to move them around.

But I think makes a very good point.

They could still buff like that, but it really comes down to how cheap you want the become counters to be, imo senpai.

Hmm, might as well just use +1/+1 counters then.

Hmm, might be too repeatable, which was a problem with Retrace. Needing to cast another card definitely helps though.

Wait, were you the guy kicking around this concept in the /r/custommagic discord yesterday? There it was called Flurry.

>/r/custommagic discord
Not him, but what's that like? I'd honestly probably use Reddit more if they weren't so anal about art credits.

My short experience is that the actual subreddit is slow and/or a crapshoot (quality-wise), and the Discord is heavily, heavily skewed towards full set design, as well as a few other projects like custom constructed and whatnot. While /ccg/s "culture" tends to be fairly scattershot (I post a card, you post a card, we swap feedback once, discussion moves on), the Discord tends to be a bit more workshoppy when a card or mechanic gets posted there.

Nope not me.

Well I wanted the effect to be repeatable to an extent. And to reward drafting more Instant and sorceries.

I probably post more card designs here but the subreddit is actually pretty useful because you can sort by ratings and the highest rated cards, while not completely balanced, often have some interesting concepts

Nemesis. Last version had FStrike and Hexproof, and it needed you to pay 1UB on combat damage as well as exiling it to get the effect. An user pointed out if it lost its protection, I could cost it more aggressively. So I guess now I just need to nail the cost. Oh yeah, and it used to be 3UB.

I'm probably just being overly cautious then.

Weird design. Kinda cool though. But I'm not sure if I'd make it a common. Probably uncommon.

It's fine to be a bit cautious.

I have a theory that timeanon and pirateanon are the same person.

>black is card draw, blue is mill

Where did the bad blue mage hurt you user?

These seem good, though Dark Pact should read
>You draw a card and you lose 1 life.

Worse glacial ray.

Worse dampen thought.

>witching hour
Weird name/worse spiritual visit

>dark pact
Over costed, inscribe should be 1 less.

>blessing of might
Draft chaft

Not that user, but...
>Worse glacial ray.
Glacial Ray cost an additional mana to hardcast. Flamestrike is Shock with upside, closer to Firebolt than anything.

>worse spiritual visit
Flying is a significant upside, if you ask me, especially on a repeatable token generator.

Rolled 6, 7, 5, 5, 8 = 31 (5d10)

rollin'

not only that but Glacial Ray was really fucking good in draft

Some commons and uncommons

damn, shoulda wrote spoils of war as "When Spoils of War has 10 or more war counters on it, sacrifice/exile it and destroy all creatures.