/btg/ Battletech General!

Classic cockpit edition

The /btg/ is dead - long live the /btg/!

Old thread: =================================

BattleTech video-game pre-alpha gameplay
youtube.com/watch?v=FjEeDz51pHE

==================================

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out which BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megameklab.sourceforge.net/

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing?
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5
NEW! - Against the Bot pastebin updated link:
bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,40948.0.html
NEW! - Mediafire link for the most current AtB rule set: mediafire.com/file/dyjdl62htdpbfgy/rules_2.30.xls

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/cj0tjpn9b3n1i/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/tw2m414o1j9uj/Battletech_Archives

/btg/'s own image board: - (Still getting worked on (2017-01-12+), now has 10735 pics!)
bgb.booru.org/index.php

More goodies! (Rare manuals, hex packs, TROs, etc.)
pastebin.com/uFwvhVhE

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GpcvNw4nA0E
ironwindmetals.com/index.php/release-schedule-2016
bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=51698.msg1270527#msg1270527
youtube.com/watch?v=vUxDmKFCD2o
builtforwar.blog
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakeneko
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

More RIflemen!

Is age of consent determined by production year?

I remember some Jap game where it was a strategy game where you had production lolis with mecha forms. Damn I wish I could remember what it was called. There was an english patch for it as well. Oh well.
Which mechs would be a loli in BT?
Pic related.

Do anybody make their own BT cursors and icons for use on your rig?

What are some good Guardian carriers that aren't primarily Capellan?

How would a mech be loli? Size?

Degeneracy.

I think the /a/ and /m/ crowd called it mecha musume or some such. Basically imagine a loli with armor and weapons covering parts of their body, but enough exposed that you could see they were girls.

In case handheld-anons are still unsatisfied with previous answers, is a more researched and complete one.

Everyone else can ignore and carry on.

Is that a Cicada with a coffee addiction? I love it.

Another point to just weight -- strapping more weapons on is not an easy task. They need power, coolant lines, ammo feeds, vents, ejection ports, bracing, actuators, and a whole mess of parts. Not to mention reprogramming the battle computer to actually control and target the new weapon.

That's the benefit of Omnis over regular BattleMechs. They're modular so it's just load the pod, load in the preconfigured software, and you're rolling off the line in minutes rather than hours-to-days.

Seconded, I am not a fan of the cicada but I love me some coffee and often sip on some with a dash (read a lot) of bourbon when I play some megamek.

Any interesting dioramas like this of BTech?
youtube.com/watch?v=GpcvNw4nA0E

What are you trying to do? Cover your long-range buddies? Grab a Fafnir. Cover a rapid advance? Get a Hitman.

Just say your pilots are drunk and call it method acting.

How does torso twist work? Can it twist 360 degrees?

We Are Livin! Livin in the Eighties! Eighties!
We Still Fightin! Fightin in the Eighties! Eighties!

No, only one hex left or right.

Usually, any way. There are Quirks and Tripods are able to Spin2Win.

FUCK TRIPODS

>SSW will never handle tripods and quadvees

it hurts ;_;

found this on Plog's page
does it come from /btg/TRO? looks good

>looks good

Please tell me I'm just blind to obvious sarcasm.

no, you are just a cunt that can't handle opinions :)

(You)
Why did they ever make NARC such garbage in the first place? If you could treat NARC-hit targets as if they were TAG'd for regular LRM IDF and artillery, then it would be halfway useful, but as it is, it just works with one and only one flavor of missile ammo and does exactly fuck all else.

Not to say it can't be made kind of useful in very specific circumstances, but it's such a pointless use of tonnage otherwise that practically no canon units carry it.

We may never know. Presumably they simply didn't playtest it and thought the rules looked good after an eyeball pass.

There's differing opinions and then there's liking scat.
Whoever considers that in any way "good" is clearly leaning towards the latter category.

It is objectively bad from a design standpoint.

It would also eat the dirt faster than the walking dildo that is Stalker, can't turn at all, neither can its arms.

Don't Bully Stalker! It was made for maximum penetration of the enemy position! It's supposed to be like that!

Yes, it's one of our Assault 'mechs.

It's supposed to look like an ugly clunker, so you're just confirming he did a good job :^ )

Has it got exposed actuators or something? It's got myomer visible in the arms. Also, I'd it some kind of primitive?

Shit, and the legs too, and ankle lasers. What the fuck is this thing?

Yes, it has Exposed Actuators as a quirk. For the rest, just wait and see.

>BattleTech video-game pre-alpha gameplay

It'll be shit.

>Hey gents,
>When you all are designing a brawler mech what considerations do you give to weapons placement? I used to like placing all weapons in the torso/head to free up the arms for punches. I've been at a disadvantage a few times when I lose out on the extra firing arc arm mounted weapons would have given and I've noticed that I am kicking a lot more often than punching.
>Do you all place weapons in a way to free up physical attacks; Do you spread them out to reduce the chances of having your firepower crippled easily; Do you place them solely on aesthetic reasons?

Here's my brawler.

ECCM at brawling range

Holy shit that's the most dark age design I've seen in a long time

What would you recommend for fluffy and/or good diamond shark/sea fox mechs?

>command console
>magshots
>supercharger+masc
Nigga, what the FUCK are you doing?

>>ironwindmetals.com/index.php/release-schedule-2016

8 new IWM SKUs in the first half of 2017.
AT LEAST half of which 90% of the playerbase gives zero fucks about.

Meanwhile, we're barreling towards two years since the newseen were teased, which no news on when those are coming.

But thank god we're finally getting the highly anticipated Uraeus, right?

Just realized I'm still running MegaMek 40.1, any big changes between 40.1 and 42?

You *can*. NARC'd units are treated as having a spotter for indirect LRM fire. But not for artillery, at least none of the official homing ones.

But the rest of your statement of "only one flavor" etc. is true of TAG -- that only works with semi-guided.

Also, infantry can run NARC as well. Both in the tabletop rules and in RPG rules. A NARC beacon is just a class D or E ordnance, so if you play with both, pretty much any kind of launcher that can handle that can launch NARC beacons.

I thought that mech was called Biggus Dickus.

>I thought that mech was called Biggus Dickus.
Confusing that with either the Penetrator pr the littlus dickus the Locust.

Not to be that guy, but the Master Unit List.

I was quoting another post but fucked up the greentext

Significant. Go read the changlog. Also, use the dev versions, it is usually a really long time between stable versions.

For the Cheetah, you'd say that works for all mentioned eras?

I like everything but the Clan tech. Outside of a one-off force, which I admit you might be thinking, it won't work for general Marik use.

Does anyone actually play by "declare all weapon attacks with all mechs, then resolve" way? I get why you are supposed to do that, but it seems really tedious and confusing. Whenever we play we just declare a weapon then roll to see if it hits

We try to. It helps to declare, calculate to-hits(and write #s next to weapons), then roll. That way while the first person is calculating, the second is doing the same in advance. Makes the actual firing go faster.

does anyone have pics of the bakeneko sculpt?
i know the thing practically unheard of, but i like the design and was really happy when they produced a mini for it.

Never heard of this mech before, it's pretty darn badass.

Oh, thats a good idea, actually. Might try that next game

bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=51698.msg1270527#msg1270527

Is Combat Manual:Davion ever going to be released? I've been looking foward to it, and I'm not even a davion player, the combat manuals are just so high quality and fun to read.

It's in the Wars of the Republic Era book.

A Clan Nova Cat design produced in tandem with the Combine.

>bakeneko
What an original sounding name.

How effective is Artillery against the Clans?

I never really read of it being much of an impediment for them during the Invasion, despite it being abundant in the Sphere.

>TFW Solaris Skunkwerks hasn't been updated in over two years.
>TFW two years ago feels like an entirely different era in history.
It's as if the real world has had a storyline jump and we're using a whole different set of sourcebooks.

Generally speaking artillery puts the Clans into a raging shitfit and isn't terribly suited to fighting their generally very mobile warfare tactics. Keeping them under zellbringen intil just the right moment was the favored tactic of the IS weather it was particularly smart or not.
Remember Zell was primarily added to the story to explain why there would ever be a balanced fight between the IS and the Clans at all, and the original storyline was written before Artillery was even in the rules.

I want to love Battletech. It should be everything I love.
I can't manage it. It's everything I hate.

What do you like about Battletech?

Winning initiative, sprinting like a madman, point blanking 8 magshots w/ targeting computer then hatchet that muthafuka.

i like giant robits

>How effective is Artillery against the Clans?
extremely.
>I never really read of it being much of an impediment for them during the Invasion, despite it being abundant in the Sphere.
as was the case for everything that would cause the clans actual trouble during the invasion
>and the original storyline was written before Artillery was even in the rules.
that is not at all true. arty predates the clans by 4-ish years

>and the original storyline was written before Artillery was even in the rules.

Uhhh. Long Tom is in TR 3025 and the Catapult from 3050 has Arrow.

But hey. Something something broken Clan bullshit something something 3025 is better and makes more sense or whatever, amirite?

What do you hate?

We dig giant robots.

I thought Artillery was present from the start in things like the Archer?

>What do you like about Battletech?

Replacing the wrist saw with a fusion arc torch.

youtube.com/watch?v=vUxDmKFCD2o

>Catapult from 3050 has Arrow.
Arrow IV was in TRO 2750 before that.

Indirect fire from LRMs isn't the same as actual artillery. And I don't think IDF was actually there at the very start either.

Wait a sec... is that thing packing ankle mounted guns? We're taking machine gun knees to a whole new level!

builtforwar.blog [NOT SPAM] spot.com.au/2016/11/art-preview-ironclad.html

I, too, dig giant robots.

Literally every single scrap of fluff. Hex-based movement, and corresponding cost to facing changes. Per-turn initiative. Most of the shooting mechanics, though hit locations are nice. Clanners and especially their mechs.
I had a worse experience with ATOW than with the wargame itself, and I don't even want to launch into that.

I enjoy giant robots, I enjoy more realistic robots than Gundam or something, but I hate the feudal future bullshit and most of the mechanics grind my gears. It's unfortunate too, I've got a close friend who's been into it for going on 15 years now. She's tried to get me into the game a couple times and I just can't make it click.

I also don't like the original 80s aesthetic and think the MechWarrior games' versions of the designs are better. Except based Urbie.

What, you're confused by the Kurita built mech with the Japanese name?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakeneko

I mean, these are all things that irk me too. So i can't really blame you.

>Hex-based movement
Oh shit nigger what are you doing

hexes are master race for grid-based games

Beautiful. Now it needs a custom quirk so that it gets an automatic SPL hit with every successful kick.

>for grid based games
That's the problem. I don't like grid-based. I'm a traditionalist with cm or inches.

You're pretty much specifically the market for Alpha Strike. Though AS also does away with hit locations, which you mentioned liking.

>Kurita/Nova Cat mech
>Japanese cat name
What an original sounding name.

>What, you're confused
You seem more confused tbqh

So I recall ComStar made the "Clanbusters" of Tukayyid that were so-so.

What Inner Sphere mechs made up til the Jihad would you rate as a second generation of Clanbusting mechs? Mechs you want to have if you know you'll be fighting Clanners.

Feel free to skip dualgauss monsters since I'm guessing they're first picks.

>She's tried to get me into the game

Really, 'She' want's to play nerd games with you and you just can't hack it?

Have you tried the Alpha Strike rules? They aren't perfect, but I think it might solve some of your issues. (the initiative system is the same though)

There are Miniatures Rules to play free-form without the hex map if you're so inclined.

Alright, got a question.
One of the people I play with regularly nearly always brings a pair or trio of Phantom H mechs, the one with a bunch of heavy smalls.
What's a good mech to counter this?

To add, I mean because his sarcasm seems obvious while your confusion over it I don't understand.

>What Inner Sphere mechs made up til the Jihad would you rate as a second generation of Clanbusting mechs? Mechs you want to have if you know you'll be fighting Clanners.
the 3055 FedCom mechs and a bunch of their 3058 machines are pretty much that

Devas...
>Feel free to skip dualgauss monsters since I'm guessing they're first picks.
Aww. Wolfhound?

After a few years of playing BT, I recently began attending the church my group's GM does. Found out the big bad guy, Word of Blake Precentor we've been fighting and pursuing all this time, is named after the pastor. Funny thing the guy is nice, but I suppose I can see where the inner Blakist is trying to crawl out.

I suppose I mean specific ones you feel are best qualified. While those TROs are geared towards reactions to the Clans, some are real garbage rides.

Nope. We end up playing other games instead.

Wraith, Falconer, Dragon Fire, Warlord.

Something with large or medium pulse lasers. Try a Rifleman IIC.

the Penetrator is nasty as fuck, the Falconer is superb, the Dragon Fire is breddy gud, and of course the Gausswall rides are aces, the Wrath should be illegal and the nightsky is actually pretty decent ,

>Penetrator
I love that mech. I remember a MM game a few years back, 1v1 against another guy I met on the S7 forums. He brought a Timberwolf variant iirc and I brought a vanilla Penetrator. We matched BV, set map to random, and fought on a weird island/swamp/river map. Brutal as fuck, final turn I was holed in the torsos and arms, he was in the red in some places but still intact. I rolled the dice and got my first successful DFA, headcapped the clanner. I learned not to hate IS pulse lasers that day.

>those shouldertits
fuck now i regret asking

i keep hearing about how iwm is godawful when it comes to translating concepts into mini form, but i didn't want to believe it until now

I'm planning on running ATOW campaign in the future based around trainee Clan MechWarriors. Most of my experience with worldbuilding is based around Inner Sphere societies.

What books should I look over to get an idea for Clan society and what exactly Clanner MechWarrior training is like?

There's a Clanner book for 3e, isn't there?

MM user here. How the hell do I get rid of the doofy shadows around my mechs and other units and get the crisp looking mech icons back?

I tend to put weapons with minimum ranges in the arms so i at least keep some arc utility. LPPCs are a favorite for this. Also LRM5s. Phoneposting so no example sadly.