I was watching lore videos about Destiny and something that came up was the fact that "Guardians" before Guardians were...

I was watching lore videos about Destiny and something that came up was the fact that "Guardians" before Guardians were a thing were able to use abilities that weren't in keeping with the idea of how the different classes are currently defined in the time the MC Guardian is up and running so that leaves a lot of potential of lost techqinues and abilities that the innovaters/users of the class before hand could use but were lost or forgotten and no one has yet gone out of their way to push their ability to use light in ways that isn't taught to them already.

This, I think, would allow for the possibily of an Pen and Paper version of the game and allow a level of flexibility without having to strictly be in keeping with how the game presents it.

That said, do you think Destiny would be able to be translated into a PnP game?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=o-kuOyTe9us
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yes, but there's some question of how you would do it.

I've always thought it would work best if each class had some set "spells" that only they could learn, then a pool of more miscellaneous ones. Maybe some shared between two but not the third.

That's what I figure it would be. The classes would have their own set abilities that are exclusive to them but that ought to be a given.

I certainly like the idea of having abilities inspired by other classes. I think the Hunter's Blink was said to have been taught to them by Warlocks right? I don't see why a Bladedancer couldn't teach a Stormcaller how to turn all that Arc energy into a sword or something.

Or how in the lore there's a warlock who knows how to do the shoulder charge/knee of a Titan.

That would be Fellwinter who says explicitly that Jolder taught him how to do it.

So yeah, certain paves the way for a subclasses rendition of another classes ability and then making up something that only they can learn at higher light levels like another one of the Iron Lords who used Arc energy to puppet the body of a Fallen or Shank (can't remember which) Or whatever fucked up abilities old Sunbreakers used to have.

In the "Leaks" for Destiny 2 there as talk of a 4th subclass for all three of them. Implied implications dictates that that class would have something to do with darkness considering you have Kylo Ren knock offs like the Dredgens modeling themselves after their idol Dredgen Yor.

I think it's gonna be green, given the number of green smoke-y looking attacks in the game that deal non-elemental damage.

Maybe, the only place we've seen anything that uses the Darkness is the Hive. Granted I would like it if they did something with Ice considering the elemental set up they got going on

Solar = Sun
Void = Energy from between spaces and apparently drains life force
Arc = Lifeforce

I guess Ice could have something to do with Time or stagnation or something possibly an element associated with the Darkness.

Way I heard it was described was necrotic. It's corrosive or some such. It's also got little bits of lightning floating around in it. Check out stuff like the Thorn or the Smoke that smoke bombs make if you give them poison.

They couldn't do ice because arc is already blue.

4 th sublcass is going to be ice or frost. Warlock will get a free roaming sword with wings, Titan will get a frost shield thing like Capn Merica, Hunter will get a frost spear.

Doesn't exactly look like Ice, besides the concept art was rejected I believe.

Aren't those all made of fire in the leaked concept art/promotional art?

Hunter one, althouugh the idea of using a spear is bad ass though

While the game doesn't have you do much with the Tower/City there would and should be plenty of drama to be had considering you have an exiled political faction lead by a Guardian called the Concordant. Also, how would stats be handled? Port over the very basic stats from the game?

I think the basic three stats, then maybe individual stats for different types of guns so you can specialize more in different weapons. Because it wouldn't be constrained by game balance, someone could use a shotgun or machine gun as their primary weapon. Weapon stats/maybe some utility stats governed overall by discipline, physical stats by strength, and "magic"/utility stats by intellect?

Also, as for the story, I think it should be just before the main character arrives in the game chronology. Maybe a little before that when there's more different political groups in the city and there might be more bandit/small settlements outside the city walls.

That seems reasonable. Anything else can be handled by skills and possibly have some links to the stats i.e. Some kind of charisma skill that you can use to deal with people as well as lead/command. After all being part of a fireteam is central to the game/story.

Interacting with non-Guardians also seems like a rare skill among the Tower's ranks. So what then, Discipline, Strength, Intellect, Charisma, then with skills that use modifiers based on those?

The way I see it there are two eras you can run around in:

Pre-City which includes everything up to Iron Wolves and then City era which includes 6 Fronts/Twilight Gap to the present so there is plenty of room to move around in before the arrival of the MC storyline wise.

They were but what else is there to give the classes? The only element missing besides real darkness/poison and light is frost. Plus the concept seems to fit. Titan seems perfect with a shield it would behave like the relic from Vault of Glass, Sword winged Warlock with frost wings seems to fit with their space magic ways, and a frost spear for a Hunter. I could very well be wrong.
They spent 2 years perfecting the systems or at least fixing them up. I don't think they would through it all out a window and restart. Seems like it would defeat the purpose of all that work.

I suppose you could make Charisma a stat because it might be a waste to make individual skill abilities like intimidation, persuasion, etc.

The system is a purpose built video game system. It doesn't seem like it would translate well to an RPG because it's based around game-y mechanics like refresh times and balancing, rather than storytelling and modifiers of chance.

Also, I saw some Green-themed subclasses a while back. The Titan had a big machine gun and a deployable cover melee. There's plenty of room to work with.

Notably though, I think supers shouldn't be a thing in the prospective RPG system.

I would think if you went with something like Ice the Titan could be like a Frost Giant or something. He covers his body with Ice and runs over people while punching them in the face with ice shards.

Before the poison subclass there was thoughts of a frost one. Like a whole year before....

Actually, do you think that the different damage types should even carry over as distinct entities into an RPG system? They also seem like something that wouldn't really be necessary anymore.

I'm not seeing it. There are tons of poison effects in game, but no frost ones.

Some enemies might be more susceptible to certain damage types more than others. and they can wield them to in various degrees like the Fallen having different cannons for each element. Solar being good against Hive and Arc good against Vex? While the Psions might be able to use Void by virtue of their psionic powers the Cabal as a whole are essentially the non-elementals of the bunch so far.

I dunno, all their guns shoot Solar damage as is. Also, psions in game do arc damage, so why would they switch to being void here?

More importantly, why not just describe it as energy blasts? Most enemies don't have to deal elemental damage like they do in game.

Yeah but think of it as things within the universe.
The lore for Solar is tiny quantas of change. At the molecular level you are just adding so much energy that you combust things.

Arc you are using a massive surge of electrons as a weapon.

Void is a new particle everyone in our time has been looking for, the thing that makes gravity works

The only thing missing is the other end of the spectrum where you suck the energy out of everything and freeze stuff. The opposite of Solar

I will agree that darkness and light could be their own classes if that is all you are channeling.
Cabal do Solar, their projectiles are on par with the imperiums bolt slugs if not better. They're micro missles hit the target and then explode with microsharpnel that burns into you. Can't remember that lore on it 100% I just remember it being stupid powerful.

You're right, I was either forgetting or mis-remembering. And it could be just non-elemental damage that doesn't need a special designation/name for it.

Well, the green could equally be entropy and decay. Accelerating the affects of time to corrode or debilitate enemies. Which I suppose isn't quite the same thing as slowing things down, but still.

As previously mentioned though, the big thing would be the fact it doesn't share a color with any other element.

Well if we went with that you could have

Gold = Solar
Blue = Arc
Purple = Void
Green = Darkness
White = Ice

Seeing as Light is not an element by itself only the Power used to harness the others, then again that may as well be the case for Darkness as well.

Darkness is definitely not an element either.

I think decay or entropy would work as a name.

Problem with white is that you do sometimes see raw light do stuff, and it is very much white. Think the balls during the Golgoroth fight or when you free the shard of the Traveller from the Hive.

Okay so Green for entropy and black for Ice if we make it an elemental assocated with the dark the way Solar is heavily associated with the light

All this Talk is making me want to Hop back on my destiny account and play....

I'm saving my shekiels to get a PS4Pro and the Switch. I figure this late in I might as well start with 2 rather than try to bum rush through 1

>Maybe some shared between two but not the third.
I like this Venn Diagram and would like to see your thoughts on it...

I got my friend in about a month ago. He is now a 400 light level with plenty of weapons...
Just saying it's not that hard.

Well, stuff like elemental weapon enhancement, "magic missile" and a few other super generic abilities would be the center. Blinking would be shared between hunter and warlock. Apparently warlocks can learn Titan shoulder checks, so enhanced melee abilities might be something they share. For Titan and Hunter is tough, but maybe something like a buff to their shooting ability seeing as they're both more "martial" than the warlock? I dunno really.

The ability to form weapons out of their given element? Aside from the Hunter, The Titan is the only one that makes a weapon like the Hammer of Sol out of pure Solar energy while the Hunter does this with all of it's sub classes.

>so enhanced melee abilities might be something they share
Titans could get strong melee attacks like Warlocks.

Huh, you're right, I hadn't thought of that. That would work pretty well. Especially because it actually highlights the Warlock's connection the Light in a more abstract sense. They don't bother shaping it into a more familiar form like Hunter or Titans.

So, tenative ideas for stats/skills

Discipline:
Your main weapon stat used to determine to hit and how often you can use Grenades. Also used to help you withstand status effects like being staggard or the effects of Darkness.

Strength:
Your unarmed stat as well as the stat used to determine physical abilities like running, climbing, etc

Intellect:
This stat helps to determine how much light you generate for special abilities.

Examples of skills would be Arcana which focuses on a specific subject or group to show how intimate your knowledge is such as the Hive so Eris and Toland would be examples of people with Arcana: Hive while Osiris would have Arcana: Light, Darkness, Vex. These would be significant because your Arcana also affects your social standing as in the case people kinda avoided Eris like she was a leper even while Ikora welcomed her back.

warlock melees are only strong because the apply the light differently. the titan is all applying the light in brute force methods, (overload, suntstrike, force barrier) while the warlock uses the light to augment the melee in esoteric ways (energy drain, scorch [the most physical of them] and thunderstrike

youtube.com/watch?v=o-kuOyTe9us

Whatever happens, hopefully exotics and rare weapons/armors are actually treated like rare magic items.

Then again it's canonical that there are replicas of certain guns floating around such as Thorn

>do you think Destiny would be able to be translated into a PnP game?
It would be a better PnP game than it is a video game easy.

I'm actually planning on running a campaign based on Destiny, but more along the lines of the players don't know they're the descendants of a ship full of humans who chased the Traveler and crashed onto another planet and started a colony in order to survive.

I'll have the Fallen there, who also gave chase, a detachment of Cabal who wanted the secret of immortality from the ghosts, and a native race the Traveler was trying to uplift before it was so rudely shot down, again, by the Cabal and Fallen. The Traveler hides itself underground this time, to protect itself, leaving the guardians (and the long-lived cabal) the only ones who even remember its existence by the time the players come around many years later.

The players will discover why some people really are immortal, why the Fallen are once again on the march, and how the Cabal plan to finally escape this forsaken rock and failed mission.

Should be fun? I hope it's fun. No one else I know plays Destiny. Should be a cool reveal.

What Roleplaying System are you using?

I don't know yet
I'm looking into Runequest, but I've ruled out D&D, 7th Sea, and some others. Trying for a more low magic vibe here.

It's kinda disappointing you never see combat frames fighting, especially when it's mentioned in RoI that Rasputin used to have literally thousands of them as his personal army.

I'm probably going to have Shit flung at me for this... but I think one of the FFG 40k games would work best for this.

I haven't played em. What makes them appealing for it?

I was working on a homebrew Destiny game awhile ago and I was drawing from FFG's 40k, mainly in having ballistic and melee as ability scores along with Strength, Discipline, and Intellect. Came up with a convoluted cooldown tracker based on those scores, too.

Honestly yeah, The setting is pretty similar 40K without the buckets of grimdark.

It is pretty detailed range combat rules is kind of good considered it's a shooter but it's also a massive pain to teach people.

Well, it's an FFG game, meaning that it's Gear Friendly, and has plenty of weapon stats you could use to build up the Destiny Arsenal.

Character design is nice for plenty of options, with plenty of homebrew options to build off of.

It might take some work to get Psykers to work like Destiny abilities though.

I might also suggest FFG Star Wars, but nobody likes to spend over $30 on three specialized dice sets plus the rulebooks.