/awg/ Alternative Wargames General

Storage Space Edition

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Freebooter's Fate, Dark Age and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

Last thread
Let's talk scenery.
What do you need for the games you play?
Do you own it or just swing by your FLGS to use theirs?
Do you make it yourself or do you buy it?
Do you think it is as important as the miniatures or a necessary evil?
How do you store it?

Other urls found in this thread:

lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=86856.120
kickstarter.com/projects/medge/maelstroms-edge-a-next-gen-sci-fi-miniatures-warga/posts/1241766
docdroid.net/qM3To1b/commanders-dogma-v07.pdf.html
youtube.com/watch?v=8XBlBPtQW6g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I mostly do 15mm sci-fi, so you see a LOT of blue electrical box buildings. No pictures at the moment because my tote is at my nephew's house.

Looking at Rogue Stars in 28mm, I'll be doing a blend, buying some, making others. If I had the patience I'd buy some hirst molds and make sexy, sexy terrain.

there used to be some really good blog tutorials on electrical box buildings, can't find them anymore

It's not hard, Grab electrical boxes from Lowe's, slap greeblies on it, paint it.

You could reasonably play Rogue stars in 15mm. just scale some measurements.
Conversely having used a lot of Hirst arts stuff, it's no fun to lug around.

Sure, and playtesting the rules that's what I did. But I also like demoing games and having flashy big squads just feels right for it.

yeah but this box looks worst than many I've seen

I'm interested on miniature agnostic games
How do they deal with the different types of minis a player can bring to the table?

>How do they deal with the different types of minis a player can bring to the table?
What do you mean?
If you can bring your own minis the games are usually written in a way that keeps that in mind.
That means you can usually use any shape of base sizes you like for example. Or if there are certain necessities for ease of gameplay the game have to tell you that.

I mean you probably shouldn't play games where you mix scales, but gaming with 28-32mm should be cool for example, if you bring 15mm problems to a table that was built for 28mm with an opponent using 54mm that obviously isn't gonna work well for either of you.

I guess you just have to rely on common sense if something comes up. Like you would anyway. Something always comes up.

Do you mean ironhands.com by chance?
The dude is gifted when it comes to building scenery.
Makes you wonder where the hell he keeps all that stuff though when he isn't gaming.

Depends on the game. Some let you stat up your figures yourself using a system. In ASoB&H you just take a model and spend points on the traits and abilities you think it should have. Others have some basic profiles that you can get figures to fit into. IE a elf spearman in Kings of War could very easily use any company's 28mm elf spearman.

>If you can bring your own minis the games are usually written in a way that keeps that in mind.
I know, I was just asking for examples, as in what different games do to fit the minis to their rules and lore.

I imagined something like that

Well for example SoBaH can easily accommodate models of almost any size. It will just treat say 54mm miniatures as giants.

>I mostly do 15mm sci-fi, so you see a LOT of blue electrical box buildings.
I literally swore, loudly, when I saw a post about 28mm scenery on another forum yesterday.

lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=86856.120

>guttering and Maelstrom Edge building accessories.

I mean, you don't need the ME bits sprues, plenty of other sources for doors and vents and windows, but how the fuck have I never considered just buying some cheap bits of gutter for my 28mm sf shit.

I spent an hour yesterday googling "habitrail wargaming," I'm all about using random crap to build things, electrical boxes, storage things, anything, and I never ONCE thought "hey, you can get some interesting shapes of gutter." The worst part is, ME's KS already did it: kickstarter.com/projects/medge/maelstroms-edge-a-next-gen-sci-fi-miniatures-warga/posts/1241766 And they've got some even more interesting shapes and towers using downpipe attachments. Argh!

I mean just look at this shit. That nice rounded angle into a tower owns.

I use Mantic's Battlezone terrain. It's obviously designed for Deadzone, but usable for Warpath and Firefight. But also for any other sci-fi game so I'll be using it with Rogue Stars too.
I also backed the first battlesystems sci-fi terrain kickstarter, so I've got a fair amount of that too

Terrain chat? I am full pleb and buy most of mine but here's something for Heavy Gear.

I am slowly building up a table's worth.

And a military outpost of some sort, using a 1:144 APC converted with scifi bits.

What's the best way to carry a shit ton of models, /awg/?

Get a sherpa.

own a car

miniature case

What sort of size models? Are we talking 3mm infantry (magnetic basing, inside a CD or DVD cases), 15mm combined arms, or 28mm cavalry?

Foam. Lots of foam. Prescored pluck foam ideally but you can save cash by cutting some yourself.

well no, this guy is just wrong it's as says, it depends one the size of the models

for 28mm and larger you're better off magnetizing the bases or hulls and transporting them on cookie sheets inside large Tupperware containers.

then again if you only have a half dozen 54mm models then pluck foam is fine

or maybe you have a car and you only have to transport one huge thing and then tons of small things, in which case pluckfoam is great, except for the one huge thing which you sit inside some foam loosely inside a box and since you're driving in your own personal car it doesn't matter

or maybe you have to take it on an airplane in which case it has to be pack in foam and what not

who knows

every transportation job is different and has a different optimization

For small stuff? Raaco boxes own. ASL grogs use them for counter organisation, but you can use a single layer of deeper trays rather than two layers of shallow ones for bigger models. The main benefit is how easy it is to switch them out and fill up a little case with exactly what you want for a thing.

Or just magnetise a box file or three and hold them reasonably carefully.

Wondering if anyone has the Warpath D8 command dice and whether they could list what the facings are on a normal dice as I cannot get any until April and I'd like to use this system but cannot! Cheers

Magnets and metallic tool boxes for 28mm

Pic related, easy to carry 2000 points of KoW with that sort of thing

The latest version of my 6-10mm sci-fi rules. Formerly Advanced Squad Warfare which I decided was too generic. Now it's called Commander's Dogma which makes sense once you read the rules for assigning 'Dogmas' to your Commander to giver your army a unique style.

Has rules for destroying buildings, air support, troop transports, scenarios, suppression, and lots more to come.

Here is the most recent version in an easy to read PDF with lots of art and some diagrams.

docdroid.net/qM3To1b/commanders-dogma-v07.pdf.html

A good ratio of common sense to autism.
Dragon Rampant for example basically says fuck it and leaves it all to the players, except for a few restrictions (points and min/max amount of units) on army creation. It leaves the player with a lot of freedom, which some just can't handle and just minmax the fuck out of it.
Another system I want to recommend is Armies of Arcana, which is a rank and file mass battle system, which gives you the possibility to create your own units (just like sobh).
(I don't want to start an argument on strict vs loose rulesets, as I think both can be done well)

What's the most underrated genre for everyone here?

modern I guess. There are cool things you could do with that, but it's mostly just blowing up insurgents in the desert.

Underrated as in it has good games but no one really plays them, or underrated as in there are no games for it but it could make for a good game?

I have a progression

Advance Song of Blades and Heroes for fun, characterful games leads into Dragon Rampant for larger games which eventually leads to WHFB 3rd for the big stuff

But I'm loving the warbands of ASOBAH. So fun to mess around creating warbands and scenarios. Great for campaign play.

What happened to that guy who said he was going to do a This is Not a Test battle report?

Either or.

Wrath of Kings.

Cops Vs Burglars or other criminals.

Infinity does this depending on what is being played. Hoping to see Necromunda bring this back as well.

King of the Hill, Necromunda had the best iteration with their "Big Red Button" scenario.

Or Wolf (one very powerful character that all the other crews have to kill or be killed by). I liked playing this in warhammer skirmish with 1 big monster and lots of scrappy warbands.

Always surprised me that their isn't a Heat board game or miniatures game, seems like it's something that would work really well.

Probably more as a board game but still.

I keep popping up with an idea of a game similar to Wolf, where each player has a big central figure and then a chump force, like a big monster type with support, or a Wuxia style of crazy hero and a pool of mooks. Kind of how Monsterpocalypse did it with the Kaiju and the pool of respawning little guys.

>Wuxia

Criminally underused for miniatures games.

Hey I figure I may have better luck in here then in another thread, but I recently heard about Supersystem 4e, and wanted to see if anyone had heard anything about it, or similar superhero wargames.

Only other current super hero wargames I know of are heroclix, the batman miniature game, and the dc miniature game. Or maybe itwas marvel not dc I can't remember. Might have been both.

Five Core has a supplement that was heavily influenced by Heat and Ronin and other such movies.
Was even written by a guy from Veeky Forums

I swear there's a five core supplement for nearly everything

Knight Models have both a batman and a DC game. They had the right for spiderman but that game was cancelled afaik.

Pulp City is another game with superheros.
Don't know anything about the system, but judging by the miniature range you can also use henchmen in that system.

Oh why'd the Spiderman game get cancelled?

Probably because web swinging and wall crawling don't translate to the tabletop very well.

Page 10 bump.

I would be interested.

I've always wanted a skirmish game where people could take 1 giant dude or a squad and still have it balance but that'd be a good placeholder.

>Commander's Dogma
youtube.com/watch?v=8XBlBPtQW6g but the dragon is from space

For heists or hostage scenarios you can use black ops or just its stealth mechanic.

All the genres so far have decent rulesets imho, I'd say racing games.
Also we need a GOOD ruleset for zombie survival games.

I really like ATZ, but then I'm one of those weirdos who likes 2 Hour Wargames.

Make sure you download a recent edition - the first edition (like many of their older games) was really poorly explained.

So how is Gruntz 15mm? And more importantly, can it be scaled up in size?

It seems to be a good system, there are a few videos by the guy who wrote it on YouTube. And I believe it can be used with 28mm without to much trouble

Just getting into terrain building myself.

Question: what do you base your terrain with? I've looked into MDF, but I don't think I wanna invest in a scroll saw right away.

For scatter terrain, I've always liked using old CDs as a base. Much cheaper than MDF, but then again, the age of AOL free trial discs has long since passed.

>>Wondering if anyone has the Warpath D8 command dice and whether they could list what the facings are on a normal dice as I cannot get any until April and I'd like to use this system but cannot! Cheers

Any one able to help an user out, please!!

My friends and I are planning on running a Necromunda campaign/league at my FLGS. Do any of you have any tips to running one?

Expect a lot of your unlucky players to drop out after getting beaten by your guys players. It always happens, as winners get lots of advancements and losers get dead models.
I'd not allow Spyres I they're called, they are just inviting your beardiest players to take all the fun out of it for the other guys.
Other than that just have fun, great game but can punish the not as good players

Your guys. Your good players. I swear this phone doesn't even try sometimes!

Thanks what about Arebities gangs?

You mean Arbiters?

I'm sure he does!
Not that much of a problem, other than opening up the old abuse with f#&k the police on the gaming table. Still fun enough for inclusion and fluffy enough to be included

...Are there any wuxia skirmish systems? Google gave me nothing. Skirmishing Shaolin would be baller AF.

Opsrey skirmish games Ronin?

>wuxia skirmish systems?
>Ronin

According to the definition of Wuxia it should be ancient chinese right? Ronin are Japanese. Anyway if that doesn't factor in Bushido is a skirmisher. Even has some fighting monk minis iirc.
There is also another a game called Journey that is loosely based on the legend of the monkey king from what I understand.
Osprey also has a game called Fistful of Kung Fu. It's modern, inspired by Hong Kong action movies, but should be able to deliver the skirmishing shaolin thing too.

Fistful actually sounds like it might be the thing; looks like North Star has a small line to back it up, too.

I think the rulebook has the spread. Need to check.

I've looked and it's not easy to see. When they did Deadzone 2 they included the chart, but didn't appear to be in either book

The ideas I ended up throwing around were one were it was dinogods and their worshippers, Primal Rage inspired; and a gang warfare one with big mechs.

Terrain user here.

I use coasters and table mats to mount terrain, you can get them real cheap.

Today I got a bit more for my board done, a town! Resin buildings from Brigade and roads from Total System Scenics.

Not bad looking. What's the mat you using to put the terrain on top? Sets it off well

It's a Deep Cut Studios desert cloth mat.

I've still got a fair bit to do, I have an order from Kerr & King coming with some adobe houses I plan to use as the outskirts of the settlement, and that's only a quarter of the mat. I've got a junkyard and my power station from to go on it, so I figure 14 houses and a couple of bigger terrain features plus some scatter in the form of plants and rock spires will populate a 3x3 board well enough.

>racing games.
Is it even possible to make this fun? I'm talking pure racing games, not drive and shoot things.

I've seen Historicals players do chariot racing.

Why would you do racing games without shooting? Wouldn't you be better off with Scalextrix or a console game of it?

Of course you would. Hence why I'm wondering if anyone tried and managed to make a fun racing system.

I use mdf here. I do cut it with a scroll saw or a table jig.

The only problem I've seen with it is that if you make a piece that's over 10'' across, the board tends to warp, and I hate nothing more than warped bases.

>cheaper than MDF
You can get cutoffs for a buck or so at your local hardware store.
I went there once, bought a piece for 1€ that was over about a square metre, so should last for enough scenery to fill a table with.

>the board tends to warp, and I hate nothing more than warped bases
It's the moisture from the glue. Or it's that the PVA glue shrinks when it dries.
You can try to fix that by gluing a piece of paper on the underside of the base or set the base on a moist piece of kitchen paper and weight down the base while it dries.
That should straighten the bases right out.

When you do the base weighting it down after applying a lot of glue is a good idea to prevent that form happening in the first place.

I'm digging it!

Take a couple interesting containers, mesh them with guttering and you could have some crazy cool fun. Thanks user.

Yes. I've heard excellent things about Formula D and Rallyman, and some people make 3D boards to play on.

Mostly you do this by having some strategy in choosing lines and changing gears, so you've got to slow down for curves, or might head in a bit too fast if you're feeling lucky and need to maintain a lead.

Spyrers are super beard zone. Fun if there's maybe one or two Spyrer hunts, and you run some scenarios where the other gangs team up against them, but definitely you should come up with a few things to reward the people playing "regular" gangs.
Or, reserve Spyrers for "late joiners" to the campaign.
The Enforcer gang is actually really good as a GM gang, they start with really cool gear but basically don't advance beyond that. You can send them out to attack the lead players, or round up the more law-abiding types for special missions.

I have plans regarding Necromunda, will buy the rulebook hopefully next month. Also have basically a complete recast Van Saar gang, Arbiters, and three entire original Eschers, plus some plastic Orlocks. They'll probably be all used for This is Not a Test and Necromunda, as I'm curious about both.

Mantic are previewing new designs to replace their famously terrible Drakon Riders.

Bump

Wow. Slow day! I'm almost tempted to ask my Warpath dice question again to keep this alive!

They look a little underfed even in the pictures. In plastic it probably will be even more pronounced. Zvezda had similar designs for their elves they looked anorexic.

Skeletons looked like have more "meat" on their bones than those elves.

Mantic elves have always been on the skinny side. So they've got to follow form with the rest of the range

Build as much terrain as you can.

I like the re-design, but I would probably fat them with green stuff as I hate their armor.

On other stuffs, there is being a lot of discussion about possible changes, from making TC and Phalanx better, to taking away some items (like ensorceled armor).

I honestly thing TC should only be removed when a unit face another with Phalanx, is disordered or land over terrain. If the unit charge from terrain but land out of it or pass through it but land out of it, TC shouldn't be lost. By doing this terrain keep being an important variable but it doesn't punish TC as much.

Wow, you're right. That's really shit.

Yeah it's really annoying!! I'll just have to try a few games without orders, which sucks as I think it really shines with the orders

Hey guys, anyone know when/if DLD are going to bring their 28mm range back? Those were some nice looking tanks.

>DLD
Who?

bumpan