Malifaux General

Technically Legal Edition

Malifaux:
mega.nz/#F!cg00BCoD!mDHocpgWP_hkkM3CpCBwrQ

Through the Breach (Complete): mega.nz/#F!Z9sVSYTS!U2J243KhVsUuOqAnsqTj4A

Book 1 - Basic Rules and first wave of updated (from 1st edition of Malifaux) models
Book 2 - Second wave of updated models and scenarios
Book 3 - Campaign system and new M2E models
Book 4 - Entirely new models and scenarios

Discord voice chat for malifaux chat and memery: discord.gg/xWkuFRz

Through the Breach Fated Almanac - Basic rules for the RPG set in Malifaux
Through the Breach Fatemaster Almanac - GM stuff for the RPG

>What is Malifaux?
Malifaux is a 32mm Skirmish Tabletop game, with a focus on completing several different objectives, while denying your opponent their objectives

New Gaining Grounds Tournament Rules: themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/114900-gaining-grounds-2016/

Link to Kickstarter:
kickstarter.com/projects/1334239018/the-other-side-9

Holy shit a new general before the previous one falls into the archive, maybe the game's not entirely dead.

first for down with the Guild

Also, aren't we at GG2017 already? Update the OP you faggot.

Gonna bump this as someone looking to get into Malifaux. What do you guys play? What's popular in your area? I'm thinking of picking up the Ortega family box set and a box of Latigos. I haven't really seen a game in person yet but I've been watching some playthroughs online and it looks like a lot of fun. I like the card game aspect that kind of always has you interacting with the game instead of just standing there watching someone throw dice for 15 minutes before you can do anything

>What do we play
Thunders
>What's popular
There's a pretty good mix, but I think Guild is slightly more popular
>Interactiveness
Yep, it's great. Cheating and Alternating Activations makes the game a lot more fast-paced and engaging than 40k and the like, at least for me.

>What do I play
Ten Thunders
>What is popular in the area
Hard to say, but Ten Thunders seem to be somewhat more common than others while Outcasts don't see as much presence

I agree with you when it comes to the interactivity part. It adds another layer of resource management without going to the point of let's say Infinity's tower defense deal. Good choice for a starter set as well. You may want Abuela, austringers, and mounted guard later on.

>What do you guys play?
Arcanists, pretty much all of them.
>What's popular in your area?
I'm the group's painter and I've done pretty much every faction. And there are at least 3 other groups in the area. So, probably everything.

So one of my Clockwork Traps disappeared while I was painting them. Do you need 4 of them or is 3 just fine?

Took part in my first Malifaux tournament last weekend. Managed to win one match out of three, but I'm quite new to the game, so I didn't expect to win against players more familiar with the mechanics.

There is another tournament next month and I'd like to put together better lists to choose from. Players are restricted to two masters from one faction or one master from a dual faction, with a 100 ss pool to form crews from. Encounters are likely generated with Crewfaux, with GG2017 and the January errata in effect.

With that explained, what models should I get for my crews and which schemes would work well with them if present? I have faction boxes for Perdita, Sonnia and Lady J to build from at the moment, but I'm not opposed to expanding my collection. The masters I'd like to field are Perdita and preferably Sonnia, because Lady J seems like a one-trick pony. Should I post the lists I have considered/played so far?

I'm new to the game, looking to expand a Zipp crew. Are Slop Haulers a bad idea?

I haven't got too many games under my belt yet, however I felt my models were dying too fast. Sure, Earl could heal em up with his Ml, but he's just 1 guy and not too durable himself (with no way of healing himself).
So I figured Slop Haulers could help me out - with Ht 1 they can also grab a rope and keep pace wkth the Iron Skeeters.

Or would that be a waste of stones and I just need to git gud (which I do anyway)?

3 is plenty, I rarely go over 2.

Dita, Lady J, and Sonnia all kinda do the same thing (murder stuff) so someone like Lucius, McCabe, or Nellie would help in more interact heavy pools. Post lists.

Slops are one of the best healers in the game. They might struggle catching up with the highly mobile Zipp crew, but you can throw him a rope. Dirty Cheater is a good buy for models who can take upgrades.

This is the list I play with Perdita, and so far the only one I've played. I'm only kinda disappointed in the Death Marshals, I feel like I can't get their value out of them.

Perdita Ortega
- Trick Shooting
Enslaved Nephilim
3x Death Marshal
Francisco Ortega
- Wade In
Papa Loco
Santiago Ortega

For Sonnia I'd probably use this as a base. There are a few points to spend. Originally I wanted to include a Death Marshal, but now that Hold This is lost when Papa is buried, I don't know.

Sonnia
- Cherufe’s Imprint
- Counterspell Aura
Francisco Ortega
- Wade In
Papa Loco
Santiago Ortega
- Hair Trigger
3x Witchling Stalker

Austringers show up on many lists and then there's Witchling Handlers and Death Marshal Recruiters that all seem like they'd have some synergy. Nellie seems like a fun master, but I don't know how well I can use my current selection with her.

What all do you have then?

3x Marshals is overkill. They're solid scheme runners and the box is very powerful, but 1-2 is plenty.

For dita, Aura Ancestral is a great buy. Effigy is also crazy good with her. Santiago I'm not crazy about, could be useful with Debt. Nino gets good use in interact heavy pools. A secondary beater to run solo might be nice, like Ryle or Grimwell. Witchlings are always good for condition removal.

Sonnia wants the child for double flame wall, and Hermanos on Frank for the extra push.

Out of curiosity, have they said when Parker is supposed to be released?

Harsh.

What are people's thoughts on GG17?

I haven't played them yet, but I like the look of them.

Also, hype for Nucius.

I play Arcanists - local group is even between them, Thunders and Guild, with a little extra Gremlins and Neverlose.

Perdita and Sonnia are both shooty, so if you are playing with an appropriate amount of terrain both could be gimped by the wrong set-up.
Jadly J is a one-trick pony, but she's damn good at the trick.
For selection-level versatility's sake, I say take Lady J and whichever shooty Master you feel better about.

I came second of six in my first tournament, after about eight or so games before then.
That's why I believe the internet when they say ColletteOP.
I didn't really tend to habitually triple-Prompt things pre-errata, but I can think of at least two specific games when Howard Langston landing three or four hits in one key turn is basically what won it for me. I think four AP (two plus Fast plus Prompt) should be more than enough to get anything you need done - being able to do that too easily unbalances things.
The errata change is definitely a good one.

>Harsh.
Why? OP is a faggot by definition.

It's a nice shift away from "table then score" mentality

TOS related, but Jesus, those ECB Black Ops.

>What do we play
thunders and arcanist
>What's popular
In my area malifaux is starting to grow. With the hype of Warmahordes mk3 starting to die out, malifaux is starting pick up interest. Right now its a mix between me, gremlins/neverborn, guild, and outcast.
>Interactiveness
This was one of the reason I lost interest in Warmahordes. The you-go-I-go activation of malifaux and guild ball is just more enjoyable. On top of that the triggers and control hands make things interesting.

What's changed in gg2017 compared to last year? Haven't had a chance to play it yet.

Convict labor has been replaced with claim jump. Every turn the markers get wiped and you need to replace them

>Guild Ball

As someone who just dropped Warmahordes for Guild Ball this is the same reason I'm finding Malifaux intriguing. Both games have a lot of cool characters that are fun to paint and the games are always engaging. Plus it feels way more casual than Warmahordes. even a game I lose is generally pretty fun

As you need less markers for it I actually find it somewhat easier to score off of, especially if you have extraction or something that keeps everyone away from the flanks.

Am I correct in saying Willie is on a large base?

That's right. He is on a 50mm base.

What are catacomb prowlers?

Old models Wyrd did before they started Malifaux.

Im thinking of picking up dreamer. Whats a good place to start as far as models to buy after his box set? I know hes a summoner and they benefit from having more models, but what would you get as a decent starting point, and where would you go afterwards?

Can't go wrong with a Teddy. Lelu & Lilitu, Insidious Madness, Stitched Together, should be good choices for summons. Everyone likes having a doppleganger.

Tannen can let you summon teddies, so he's a decent buy.

if it's a nightmare then it's good.
Anyone have any experience using a bandersnatch yet, seems like dreamer is the best master to take it with.

I guess the other question I have is what do you hire and what do you summon?

If you can summon it, you don't really need to hire it, Lelu with his upgrade is worth a hire though.

Thanks, I've seen Slop Haulers pop up in many lists, but not so much for Zipp crews, so I was wondering if I maybe missed some anti-synergy

Maybe my group should start playing with GG2017 ... we are all pretty new and so far all my games were with the rulebook strats & schemes. Definitely felt this "table then score" and suffered for it.

My mobility seemed kinda wasted while there were still enemy threats around, that needed to be taken out before my crew took too much damage to score. Also one of the reasons why I felt I desperately needed some healing.

So who here is going to captain con?

Would like to, but I'm thinking of going to Adepticon. Tempted to go solo Lucius too.

Where can I see the recent changes?

What would you recommend to buy for Marcus crew? Because i want to buy it yet i dont think the models in the box are enough for the start.

Marcus has a lot of options. You may want either canine remains or molemen for scheme running. perhaps some waldgeists for cover. I am a big fan of the Dawn Serpent as well, as it can hit pretty hard and leave poison all around the table.

On the website under Resources or on the forum.

Arcanist staples like Acolytes, Hank, Joss, and Performers are always useful. For beasts, you've got canine remains, dawn serpent, Waldgeists, rogue necro, Rougarou

There are a few models in the box that are good. The Cerberus is a good alpha striking model and also good when it pops out of myranda. Myranda is also a very strong piece. Always put imbued energies on her because if you sac her to shapeshift you get to draw a bunch of cards in addition to getting a new beast. The rattler isn't the best model in the game but it can be situationally useful.

The other guys got most of the other beast covered, but the blessed of December is also really good. It's got leap with a mask built in. You still need an 8 but it's easier to get. Also she's got a high mi stat, pretty durable and can eat someone to heal up to full.

Nucius is based as fuck.

Also bump

How many games?
Any good stories?

I haven't managed to get a game in this year, which is weak.

I haven't been paying to much attention to Levi since his nerf. How has he shaken out since then? Is he more into the resonably balanced section or did the nerf push him to far in the other direction?

Around 4, I think. Nothing stands out, it's just that all his actions are more reliable and don't require as many resources. Before I'd have to blow through my hand to get off 2 Issue Commands and a Commanding Presence, now I might need 1 card to do it. Using Commanding Presence on anything is great. Making Grimwell focus before he goes and lobotomizes somebody is great. Lucius can even command himself for a little extra AP economy.

What are you guys working on?

Adding to Lucius's assets.

-Witchling Thralls
-Terracotta Warriors
-Mounted Guards
-Changelings

Working on some neverborn stuff before a tournament mid February.

My Kaeris box.

That's some pretty fine painting user. Keep up the good work.

Bayou Gremlins.

Shit fuck, thanks for reminding me I have Shenlong to paint.

Ironsides crew box. Played my first game with them tonight; she can certainly dish out the damage when she gets stuck in.

Rats and rat accessories.

I want to play Hamelin but I know assembling and painting all those rats would legitimately drive me insane.

You used the errataed version right?

I... Don't know. I'd assume not.

Okay, no I wasn't. The defensive tome didn't really come up. Is that the only update?

The assembly is actually not that bad at all, but painting them is a chore yeah.

You paint like a half dozen rats, then move on to a rat catcher throwing a bag full of a half dozen rats, and I've still got two kings made out of a half dozen rats.

So many little red eyes...

Ya pretty much. Seems like a decently big deal for her though. You taunt someone in the attack you at negatives and then you get a built in punch back.

I feel like you could get by just dry brushing a lot of them. Base black, dry brush with coal black or something and bam. Add in a few details call it good.

Any Levi players around?

So since Lucius isn't the worst master in the game anymore who gets that dubious honor?

Kaeris or Brewmaster

Mah from what I've heard.

The lenny nerf really hurts her.

Out of curiosity, what options does Through The Breach give you for playing as a Neverborn? I want to try playing as a skinwalker of some sort, but I am not sure if mimics or anything beyond turned nephilim are an option.

Not really a neverborn thing, but in the arcanist book you can play as an order of the chimera character. You start out with just shape shifting into animals but I think the later levels you can just alter your physical features.

>mfw i bought Kaeris a week ago
>mfw i ordered a brewmaster yesterday
You gotta be kiddin, pal. YOU FUCKING BETTER BE!

He is. Brewy is filthy when you don't try to force drinking contest and obey/binge your dudes while swilling enemies. Kaeris burns people, drops people, and makes gunsmiths stupid.

Brewmaster is okay if you don't fall into the trap of overbuilding to his gimmick. Obey and Swill are good actions regardless of what the rest of your crew looks like.

Kaeris... doesn't really have a role. I don't know what objectives would make you pick her over any of the other Arcanist masters. She's a jack of all trades in a faction that already has a queen and king of all trades, plus plenty of masters that are better than her in their own specific niches.

Is Brutal Emissary playable with Lady J? The idea of being able to use J's attack for a charge and then let her out to make her own attacks sounds nice.

Yeah, it's a nice update. It was my first game of Malifaux overall, and I was playing against Perdita Ortega; I was far too cautious with Ironsides and my crew were far too spread out. I should've bunched closer together and just pushed up as hard as I could to try and engage a few enemy models. I got Ironsides into Santiago, and used mouse to pull the Nephalym(?) in to get some extra adrenaline going, but that was all I managed really.

>queen and king of all trades
Whos those?
Well i thought so. Hell, STEAMPUNK INCINERATING MAGE ON WINGS cant possibly be bad.

Perdittia can be pretty rough to take on. Especially for your first game. I can't give you too much advice on how to apply Ironside, but against perdittia it's always good to kill Fransisco.

Brutal Emissary is the shit with Lady J. Teleporting her across the field is fucking great and he even helps marshals die less.

Take Abuela/The Judge with Unrelenting Leader, obey the emissary to bury Lady J turn 1, drop scheme marker wherever, activate emissary and unbox Lady J up somebody's ass.

Anyone know a good place to get base inserts from? I know wyrd had there own, but their out of production, or at the very least very slow to restock. It's also hard to find complete sets.

I usually get Micro Arts bases from Ebay. They can be very reasonably priced, often cheaper than the plain and colored bases that Wyrd sells. The only real caveat is that a lot are pretty crazy, and hard to get a figure to stand straight on.

Tell me about it. Arcane bases, Snowstorm & Ice Golem.... Yeah, no. :(

I get mine from Brush4Hire. They have card base inserts. I use the plank and cobblestone ones.

Anyone else find the plastic-coated fate cards a nightmare to hold onto? There's almost no friction between them, and while I like that they can be picked up relatively easily and are resistant to bending, I drop them constantly, and they're a pain to shuffle.

Spend an evening overhand shuffling the deck while watchin a movie or tv. The natural oils from your hand will make the deck more managable.

I will have to try that. Thanks user.

Can confirm, it works.

Finally posted some non fish-monster production run models for TOS. I can see why they waited til it was almost done to do so.

At least it makes me glad that I put my money into Kingdom Death instead.

Hey man, let's be reasonable - they're only $40 for nine models including multiple duplicates.
I could only feed my family for a week for that.
And they throw on mould lines free of charge, so anyone who wants to pretend they're still a real modeller has something to do.

No bait, what's wrong with it?

The details are soft. They're not bad, but for $5USD per model, they could be better.

And they'll come assembled like that, so you'll have to disassemble your minis in order to clean those mold lines.

Don't forget filling gaps. The many very small gaps, which on the fish dudes will actually matter.

As the other guy said the detail is lame. Just look at the guy's hair. If this was rally cheap stuff like board game figures, Reaper Bones, Mantic boxes, then I could deal. But the troop boxes cost more than GW's for figures that aren't up to snuff.

They said that they will put out unassembled figures later. Hence why I am holding out and not touching the Kickstarter.

>very small
Optimist. Very small is what I get when I assemble models personally, I doubt a random Chinese slave would give much care to that.

Well fuck this general is down the list. I was thinking of getting into a wargame and this seems like the all around best option. I have two (long shot) questions.
1. Do you live in Toronto? If so, do you know if anyone here plays Malifaux?
2. How do you even pronounce Malifaux?

Also

When you go into battle, is it just with one set? Like if you buy Jack Daw you you field just him and his units or can you add units without swapping to another main character?

You choose your faction then start hiring everything, if you want to take Jack Daw you have to play outcasts as thats the only faction Jack Daw is in, then you can hire anything from that faction, anything that can be hired out of faction, for example Jack Daw can hire things with the Tormented characteristic, and/or anything with the mercenary characteristic, mercs are hired at +1 to their cost if they are hired out of faction and you can only have 2 out of faction mercs.

1. No, check a Wyrd Place or the forums
2. Ma (as in apple) li (lee) faux (foe)

You pick your faction, then any master i that faction, then any models in that faction plus mercenaries plus any extra models your master can hire.

Thanks m8

So in that case how much does an army cost to make? Roundabout.

Thread bump also

It depends on the crew. Typically they run at 35SS while the standard game is 50SS. With Jack, you can add single models like Sue, Big Jake, or Lazarus or just grab the Von Schill crew for a good mix of models. Maybe throw Hannah in there.

Different boxes are different sizes, the Ramos box is I think the only box that by itself can reach a full 50ss game and Kirais box is I think 14ss, but they are the extremes, you can build a full size force from a boxset, one or two minion boxes and/or one or two singles, but a lot of the game is figuring out the lists each game, so while you can build a force from a couple of boxes you'll probably wind up collecting a lot.

The cost of an army is variable. As others have pointed out you only need the crew box and a couple of boxes to get your full 50 stones (A crew box is 35 stones, so 2/3rds of the way there) but different masters have different values. Generally you can get a full size crew for right below $100 if you are paying MSRP. If you are a cheap fuck like me who buys everything from GameNerdz and Ebay, then you can easily do $60 or $70.

Look at the Schemes & Stones building on a budget guides, and look at the solo options. It should generally advise you on what to get for each master.