Mtg post pre-release

Mtg post pre-release.

How did you do?
What did you pull.

I pulled this limited garbage and got stomped. But as expected i guess.
How could you do well with paradoxical engine, madcap and double barals in a creature heavy environment.
Ended up playing UR splash W artifact thing.

Pias revolution surprisingly effective, either get your artifacts back or they get bolted.

Engine was running cold and showed zero love today.

Apparently promo baral is 25$ so that's something at least.

Match 4 was particularly infuriating. Rest were uneventful.

>dude takes forever to do ANYTHING.
>friend comes by with ftv angels
>"dude smell my angels box it smells so good"
>2 minutes left in match called as we finish game 1.
>"should we start game 2?"
MFW

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/aether-revolt-release-notes-2017-01-06
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

0-2, 0-2, 1-2

Promo was Oath of Ajani. Only decent card was Herald of Anguish and Metalwork Colossus. I tried to make U/B Improvise deck since I had jackshit for removal, even in other color.

Went 2-2 with BR aggro/beat down. Was the first prerelease in a while where I went without my friends. Kinda didn't want to go but I had already pre-registered for it. Could have probably made a better deck but w/e at least I pulled a tezzeret. Highlight of the night was when I almost lost to a person playing mtg for the first time. He played pretty well for a starter.

>tfw you see people playing money cards unsleeved

RIP heart of kiran

I went to a total of three prereleases. One midnight, 11 AM Saturday, and 3 PM Sunday.

For the Midnight one, I did alright, going 2-1, 2-0, 0-2. Promo was Release the Gremlins, and the deck was R/B aggro. Best pull from the night was the Extraplanar Lens masterpiece.

11 AM went amazingly. Promo Rishkar, very strong support for +1/+1 green, splashed blue for the pirate, and black for Fatal Push. Went 2-0, 2-0, 2-1. At that event I was one of two people who pulled a masterpiece, and both were Ornithopters.

Sunday went worst, ended up with 0-2, 2-0, 1-2, 2-0. Promo Consultate Crackdown, which didn't end up in the deck. U/B control, splash red for Shocks and Dark Intimations, which went nicely with Tezzeret. Did not get a masterpiece with that one, but 2/3 ain't bad.

Went 2-3 with Boros Vehicles. Pretty much my only choice since my rares were Sram, Depala, and Peacewalker Colossus. Didn't really have the uncommon/removal support I wanted but everything else sucked. The rounds I won i went 2-0. Had an old timer help me edit my deck and realized it was good but I had no idea how to pilot it. Did get a t5 kill once though. That was cool. also got into a shit ton of trouble for buying a $2 card off a kid cuz he had no trades but I wanted that card. Wanted his promo Yahenni, gave him a $2 bill for it. Overall 4/10. Only thing that was cool was 1/5 of the people in the pod were good friends of mine and my bro made tacos and brought them to the shop.

Yesterday prerelease sucked for me, but today I went 0-2 2-0 2-0 2-0 2-0 with a blue-black deck. Ran Saheeli's artistry with multi form wonder. Also the 2/3 lifelink deathtouch was super strong.

But my brother opened an engineered explosives yesterday, which was still the highlight for me.

>dude takes forever to do ANYTHING.
Screw those faggots. There's always a few at every store.
>get paired against one of those fags at the store I go to
>game one takes nearly half the round time
>he barely wins
>plays EVEN SLOWER
>go to turns
>he makes a superb misplay and I topdeck the burn card that kills him to make it 1-1-1
>he goes to drop off the match slip and I can still feel the raw anger pouring off of him even from halfway across the store

Hate that shit but I've done it once. The person I was playing had the most retarded combo. It was 5 a.m. and they were treating my like a baby who didn't know how magic worked. I ended up packing higher than they did.

Went 4-0. Had a sweet pool, nothing of money or noteworthy. Just some uncommon bombs.
The prize packs were especially choice though. Ran pic related. Prize pool notables are to the right. Matches were especially fast and I got to spend most of the day bullshiting and looking at other people's sweet decks.

Got both Dovin Baan and Ajani, should have stomped but went 1-2-1 instead because I'm a scrub. Oh well. Got a Greenbelt Rampager as well, which is cool I guess. Saving my 2 prize packs for future drafting.

Decided I'm going to break into standard by trading into a green ramp/counters deck, Rishkar makes me hard

>pull the planar bridge and meekstone masterpieces

It was pretty alright, I was not prepared for 2hg meta and my friend and I wiped HARD, but honestly these masterpieces make it worth it.

I was playing along with the situation too and didn't get upset/aggressive with him. Did try to nudge him towards moving the game state along but just troddled about like an old turtle.

When he asked if we should go to game 2 i restated a bit louder and more annoyed that there was only 2 minutes left.

Not easy to remain cool when you win 0 games all day.
Wasn't even salty or mad just tired spent and ready to go home.
Forgot dice at event but thankfully owner picked them up for me and ill just get them after.

Standard is a money trap.
Don't do it unless you pay next to nil for it, trades included.

If you build your own deck you will be told its bad regardless what you build and that you must buy a netdeck in order to win (which are like 3-500$)
Even then the money cards you do own will fluctuate greatly from day to day and you will once again be told to switch to the new net deck which requires cards you don't own.

At the end of it all once the sets rotate out the leaving set will turn to nickels and dimes before your very eyes.

My suggestion would be play edh if casual, play modern if hardcore.

I spent like 600 on standard last year before realizing it is a joke format.

Went 2-0, 2-0, 2-1, 2-0. The third match was against my friend and if he didn't do several dumb mistakes in a row, he would have won 2-0.
My promo was Aethersphere Harvester. I drew another one. Turns out 12 lifeswing on flying creatures which dodge sorcery speed removal is pretty good.
The entire prerelease nobody opened a masterpiece. I also didn't open a single mythic in both the event and the prize packs.

What's with the increading value of Herald of Anguish?

2-1, 2-0, 1-2

I left before the final round. The salt that the guy in round three had was palpable. Apparently he hadn't lost at all, so when I pulled a lead in game one he started going off abuot his land, his deck, his hand, anything to not accept the fault. He kept trying to pull back when I tapped down his creatures to crew and I must have said "YOU CAN'T CREW THE VEHICLE WHEN YOU LEFT ME TAP THE OTHER CREATURE THREE MINUTES AGO" a half dozen times. He kept trying to sneak uncrewed vehicles through for attack like I wouldn't notice. Every opening hand was the exact same. He sideboarded specific hate. When going through my own cards after, I realized he had underpayed for at least three spells.

After I stalled out in game 3 his literal words were "I guess my deck is pretty strong," with a "Dude, shut up, you were bitching while you were winning" as my response.

I've played a lot of salty guys at prerelease, but they're normally so spergy I just move on, but this fucking guy was the biggest piece of shit. He even made some salty shit about how my UG jank was "The only deck I've faced that had a chance."

Either way, I won two packs so fuck it.

2-0, 2-1, 2-1, 2-0, 1-2
Had the store I been at done a 4-game tourney instead of a 5 I would've placed 8th but because of the last game I got 9th instead. I was just running WRG creatures and removal, with some revolt shenanigans thrown into it. It was not supposed to be a very good deck and yet it went 4-1(I guess that's just how it goes in limited).

During the last match of the night the dude I played against was super fuckin' serious, although I was a little too because this would be the first time I top-8 ever in my history of playing. Won the first game, afterwards he sideboarded and whispered something to his buddy who then proceeded to stand almost right behind me the entire next two games. Saw him make hand gestures every now and then, make eye contact with each other every couple minutes or so, and I didn't think about it until halfway home when I realized that they either thought I was cheating for getting good pulls and/or he was just using his butt buddy to look at my hand for removal.
Spent the rest of my night kicking myself in the ass for not calling it out. I got good cards though, so worth it imho.

1-1 2-0 2-0 2-0 Got 1st & took home 11 prize packs

Played BGu with only Trophy Mage & Rogue Refiner in blue. It was a lot of fun!

Highlights include using a fight spell with my deathtouch creature, coming back from 1 life for a win vs WB fabricate, and absolutely out-valuing and out-trading everyone I faced.

Low point was definitely the first match going to turns for a draw then having my opponent immediately drop to give his next match 2-0 for free.

2-0, 1-2, 2-0 and 1-2

Forgot to to ping with walking ballista in response to it getting removed in match 2, game 3 and didn't sacrifice my bomb in response to it getting taken control over in match 4 game 2, severe misplays right there.

Went 1-3
Pic was in my prize packs
I'm a Tronfag

Congrats man

Shame there aren't tokens for it yet

Holy shit

Reposting cause why not. Went 2-3 with it, not winning anything. Gearhulk came out a lot, but didn't do much except for putting out 9 dmg twice.

One time he can into deathtouch+indestructible. The other time my opponent casted the green expertise with a 7/7 on the field and the green gearhulk with it. Best match that evening, we basically tried to outgrow each other, but I lost in the end.

I went 2-2-1 with red/green/black "aggro". Tie was very frustrating, because the guy spent forever taking his turns. Won the first match against him, lost the second with just over a minute time left. He had two of those "2,T: tap target artifact/creature" shits in play in both games, absolutely frustrating.

Still, 1 prize booster, of which you see the results on my keyboard. The rest are my pulls, minus one exquisite archangel which I sold to store owner. Scroll Rack though, so I'm satisfied.

First pre-release went 2-0, 0-2, 1-1 and I don't remember one game. Got Dovin Baan with good effect, even manage to ultimate him once thank to that blue flyer (my opponent then started his turn, looked at his board "next game?")

Second was a two-headed troll pre-release (yeah, they do that where I am) and we somehow ended up first (though apparently we should have been ex-æquo). Went white-red while my partner went blue-black for tezzeret (who was never drawn).

Pulled: an herald, Dovin Baan, Yehenni and his expertise, Baral expertise, a mimic, industry tower, the green revolt enchant, inspiring statuary, a ballista, two etherian lords (aren't promo cards great?) and a panharmonicus.

Got this, a Dual and Sram for Commander.

my pulls, the common card in there was my MVP
also got 2nd box but too lazy to post pulls

All my cards that were a little good were in my Kaladesh pack, and they were pretty much all the same cards I got at my Kaladesh prerelease.
I literally built a U/B artifact deck that had the exact same keypieces as my Kaladesh prerelease deck.
Even went 2-0, 2-1, 0-2 and 2-0, same as my Kaladesh prerelease.

Did pull a masterpiece chalice of the void out of my reward decks, so all in all whike weird, it was pretty sweet.

ps.
went 3-1 with GB but still didn't get anything.
overall kinda sad.

Oh, I forgot, highlight of the night: I made someone throw his deck through the store. Dude was forced to leave afterwards, it was hilarious.

What happened was that we had some really close games (and we pretty much went to time in our last one, only 2 turns left before it was declared a draw). He won the first match, but the second one took ages, with me eventually winning by using the only counterspell in my deck to counter his removal for my skysovereign.

He was already really salty about it in the next match, complaining about topdecks (had the card in my hand for two turns, but he wouldn't believe me), cheap pulls and that blue was OP.

But the last straw was when we only had 2 turns left before having to hand in the slip, and he would definitely win (he had 2 dramatic reversals in hand, and would have won in the final turn), but then I topdecked the mind rot I put in my deck for shits and giggles, and with a shit-eating grin I made him discard his only 2 cards in hand, attacking for the win (all his creatures were tapped).

He got so fucking mad he threw his deck. He was yelling about what kind of fucking retard would play mind rot at a prerelease, especially when you only have one. At least he never cheated though, so I guess that's respectable.

Huh, those pulls would actually be pretty fantastic if you had the right UR support, but that's pretty unlikely since Limited doesn't support non-creature decks very well.

Do you think any Aether Revolt cards will hold value past standard? cards seem cool but not modern (or any other format) -worthy

Not great value, but fatal push will be staple removal in modern.

I didn't open anything good, besides the 5/5 angel, had no removal except for 2 Shocks and 1 Harvested Lightning, so I splashed for them. Went 2-2, won 2 packs it was 1 pack per victory and there were only 8 people. I didn't really have fun because my deck was seriously bad.
I'm glad my dad paid for me to play, because what I opened isn't worth shit

Went 4-0 with this

Very close games almost every single time. I think I won at least 6 of my games at sup 5 health and k own that I won at least three of them sitting on 1 hp.

Got an Ajani, Dovin Bann, two Excuisite Angel's, an Aether Basker, and a handful of a few good Rares like disallow out of the 12 or so bonus packs.

I felt pretty good since when I first saw my pool I did not feel good about it

>He was yelling about what kind of fucking retard would play mind rot at a prerelease, especially when you only have one
I played Triskaeidekaphobia in a SOI draft once
I won one game thanks to it
Having fun is what matter

Not quite the same, but I am known as someone who doesn't always go for the "smart" option when buildings decks. That said, creeping mold maindeck is doing wonders for me in the current limited.

>T4 destroy your obnoxious vehicle/that land you need for a certain colour
"WHO THE FUCK RUNS CREEPING MOLD MAINBOARD"

>Creeping mold
>4 mana, 2 of which are green
I don't know if you are stupid, a genius or just mad
I'll go with mad

Also
>Sorcery speed

Stupid/Mad. I know I'm making suboptimal decisions in my deckbuilding at times in favour of "fun" (proving that fun is just a buzzword used by bad players :^) )

5-1

The most expensive card opened during the event and from my 12 prize packs was a Panharmonicon.
Yeah, it wasn't even from Aether Revolt.

I like your carpet, user.

went 1-3 with simic flyers
flooded first game
flooded second game
rebuilt deck, and still flooded third game
opponent manascrewed fourth game

Sorry to burst your bubbles bub, but what you did isn't 'fun' or 'creative'.
This is an artifact heavy deck. Maindecking an artifact removal or even two is the normal thing to do.

>running the subpar artifact removal
I had various forms of removal that are strictly better for artifact removal. I wanted the mold because I have a thing for destroying land.

>The guy who went 3-0 pulls jank rares
>the guy who went 0-3 pulls two masterpieces

Every time

I won it with a G/W deck,pulled shit in the prize box

>drafting after prerelease
>t5 Ridgescale Tusker
>t6 Rishkar's Expertise dropping Armorcraft Judge
Got this combo once. Living the dream.
And yes my opponent scooped after that.

Double sleeve that masterpiece or it will curl user. Good pull.

>3 Fatal Push
>3 Aether Poisoner
>3 Sweatworks Brawler
>2 Treasure Keeper
>1 Shock
>Yahenni
>Smuggler's Copter

I went 4-2, both losses chalked up entirely to mind-rendingly absurd luck on my opponents' parts.

Missed top 8 by a tiny amount, I'm a teeny bit salty, since my most valuable pull was Dovin. Still had fun, 8/10.

40 packs opened of aether revolt from 3 prereleases and prize support, and not only did I not get a single masterpiece, I only got 1 fatal push, thanks Wizards,:(

Some guy at my prerelease opened 40 packs by placing first at all 3 prereleases, got two Masterpieces, and also only got 1 Fatal Push.

Went 4-1 in the midnight release, came second overall

went 2-2 on the saturday evening one, opened a grindstone in my pool, which was pretty sweet

haha it's funny cause mm is always shit

The first modern masters was alright, the second was pretty shitty tho.

Still had a chance at goyf and that's all that matters

>tfw you want a masterpiece blood moon

>masterpiece blood moon

Terese Neilson would have to do it.

that would be the sweetest shit

Or Rebecca Guay

I would jizz myself and pay any amount for either of these

Nielsen is best at trippy/artsy mtg art.

I was drafting UR in origins once, round two my opponent was playing BW, I had two or three demolish's in my pool from last picks.

I brought them straight in after losing game 1 and proceeded to win the next two.

BW in origins was horrible on your manabase, every super bomb white or black card was either WW or BB.

Played and judged three prereleases. Went 2-3 on midnight, 2-2 on Saturday and 2-1-1 on Sunday 2HG.
The question asked the most was Scrounging Bandar + vehicles.

What was asked about scrounging bandar?

I personally got into a discussion where a guy wanted to react on me moving the counters during my upkeep by using the -2/-2 + scry 1 card. Judge ruled in my favour that it dies, but a counter moved. (I wanted to move just one)

was the question about putting counters on the vehicles or if the bandar could crew them?

"Can I crew my vehicle in response to the Bandar trigger and put the counters on the vehicle?"

Usually, the answer is no. Targets have to be declared when the ability is put on the stack and by then the vehicle is not yet a creature.

Your judge is stupid. You can't move the counter if the Bandar is dead.

There was a big discussion about this, but he looked it up. I'll move it to ask a judge.

When the ability resolves the counter actually has to be there to be moved.

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/aether-revolt-release-notes-2017-01-06

You're a judge? Because if you don't mind, I have a few questions.

I was planning to build a Merieke Ri Berit deck, but I'm confused about some of the interactions.

From what I understand, it's possible to untap MBR in response to the steal abikity going on the stack, and to then tap her again to steal multiple creatures at once. I was wondering why this worked though. Normally you declare a target when you activate an ability or cast a spell. MBR says that if she untaps, "destroy that creature". Wouldn't that mean that the creature is destroyed before it comes under your control, since the delayed trigger doesn't require the creature to already be under your control? Also, if you can take control of any number of creatures in this way, what's the reason that all of them are destroyed if she untaps?

Second question, if you tap MBR to steal a creature, and then blink her in response to the ability (say, with a deadeye navigator), do you still get the creature? And if so, is it then destroyed if you untap MBR afterwards, or is it permanently under your control since it's a " different" MBR now?

Me too mayne.

Fucking Oath

The steal ability and the "when Merieke becomes untapped" is one ability. It will not trigger when she becomes untapped before the activated ability has not resolved yet.

Since the ability is "Gain control of target creature FOR AS LONG as you control Merieke Ri Berit." there will never be a point in time when you will control the target creature when you blink her with the ability on the stack since Merieke coming back will be considered an all new and refreshed Merieke.

If we're getting sick ass promo cards with each set then the next Innistrad block should have a Blood Moon.

I think "Innistrad Monsters" would be the most likely masterpiece series.

So if you blink her, the creature never comes under your control? That's useful to know, guess I'm gonna give another deck a blink subtheme then.

Yep. Save the blink subtheme for Brago, my dude.

Last question, since MBR says to destroy the creature, and not to sacrifice it, if you give the controlled creature indestructible and then untap her, does it stay under your control? And more importantly, will the ability try to destroy that creature again when MBR untaps again, or do you permanently control that creature then?

> Go to prerelease
> Pull Tezzeret
> Have such a bad pool of black and blue that I would get stomped if I treid to include either. (Only one instant for blue, two of the blue 2/1's)
> Make a mediocre W/G
> 1/1 First game, 0/2 next
> A little bummed, but whatev
> Next game
> Neurotic man with full Hatsune Miku sleeves
> Makes constant terrible plays, even when I advise him otherwise (repeatably attacks with a 1/3 against a board with 2/2, doesn't understand vehicles in the slightest)
> Game 1, draw 6 lands in a row (out of 15) and lose due to no board presence.
> Game 2, still get mana swamped
> Asks me mid-game on my turn "Im going to tap 3 to play this artifact"
> "Does it have flash!?"
> "No, why?"
> Mfw I realized I was going to lose to this guy the next turn.

If the creature becomes indestructible, you will get to keep it. But the untap triggered ability will always try to destroy every creature Merieke gained control of. So use your That Which Was Taken divinity counters for fun things.

>Answers my questions
>Gives me spicy tech afterwards
Gentleman and a scholar, although I'm a little scared of putting a divinity counter on a controlled creature only to have someone wipe the board afterwards.

Yeah, Merieke is usually better when just destroying the creatures. But deep in my heart I still want That Which Was Taken to be somewhat useful in a deck.

"I stopped getting ridiculous pulls at prereleases years ago." - My LGS owner, Saturday

"Selling a pair of masterpiece Sphere of Resistance." - My LGS owner, Sunday

>all these people who had good pulls/performance

Didn't Guay stop doing art for Wizards a few years back? Wizards doesn't want good art anymore, they want fastfood level shit that's easy to pump out because it's just an edited photograph.

>Didn't Guay stop doing art for Wizards a few years back?
No.

No, it was the other way round. They didn't commission her to do art for a while.
But in Commander 2016 she did a cycle of basic lands.

>tfw first time I ever got into magic was at a pre release
>best pool I have ever seen
>bad at magic though lose with it anyway
>never get good pools ever again
>win anyway cause ok at magic now
>never get anything nice from my bonus packs

suffering

Won every match except one because I was stuck on 2 lands for four turns on game one and got board wiped on the second game. I built WU Fliers with tons of pacifism enchantments; it was curvy and racy.

At my lgs we do a thing where we start swapping the kits between ourselves for laffs until mr.lgsowner tells us that we can crack our boxes. The last box I swapped had a Mox Opal masterpiece and Chandra lmao

Went 2-1 at both of my prereleases, but the last game I played had a guy at our store pull this shit.

>be 1-1 running UB control with improvise synergy, tezzeret and yahenni as the bombs
>prize shop is 2 packs for 2 wins, 3 for 3, nothing for anything less
>face well known regular at store, guy is in his 50s and lives with his mom
>he's a skilled player, been playing magic since it came out on an off
>game 1 he's playing almost the same deck as me, but splashing green
>gets his tezzeret out and I lose pretty quickly
>game 2 I get my tezzeret out, then he gets his, but I keep making progressively better trades until he is clearly on a downward spiral to losing the game
>still got to wrestle board control so I can do damage, since he won game one he looks at the clock - 20 minutes left
>at our store if you go to time game 3 whoever won game 1 is the winner regardless
>his gameplay suddenly shifts from quick and chirpy to taking forever
>announces each phase transition, takes cards from his hand, puts them face down on the table (doesn't let go), peeks at them, finally decides he doesn't want to do that
>each end step he mulls over his activated abilities as if he wasn't going to spend his mana on mana sinks to scry or draw cards
>Makes me take him to lethal, has no answers in hand, still spends his turn staring at the two cards in his hand (lands) before passing
>beat him, 4 minutes left for game 3
>scoop, shuffle, present deck as fast as possible. He of course drags it out
>opening hand is full of fliers, I keep and proceed to beat him down while he gets land screwed
>he bitches about how every game this has happened not just this weekend, but this past month apparently
>whatever, I collect my prize support and pack my things up
>hear a commotion, turns out he's arguing with the store owner over how he thinks I got lucky or cheated or something and how he deserves prize support.
>store owner tells him to fuck off (he's known for pulling this shit)

Slow play like that is a cheating disqualification. Call a judge next time.

It's just that he's such a regular and I'm fairly new to both the game and the store, just didn't feel good enough to make the call. He's also one of those weird guys that's normally super friendly but if he starts losing he can very quickly turn to blind autistic rage.

running Paradox Engine in limited
user, i

Went 4-2 with G/R aggro, didn't make top 8 tho cuz first game I tried janky ass G/U/b/r to splash removal and planeswalker, had 5 ways to mana fix.

Red was nothing special besides Scrapper champion. Green was MVP tho, so many counters. Didn't get to run any rares in the deck but oh well.

Promo was Baral, CoC. Pulled Tezzeret planeswalker, Spire of Industry, and Baral's Expertise.

Also round one, game one, got ran over by Renegade Freighter enchanted by Siege Modification turn 4. Wasn't even mad, witnessed the dream.

>I'm a fag who gives in to peer pressure to spend far more money than is required on a format
>thus the format is shit

Out of all of the reasons you could have used for standard being shit you use the most retarded one