Why is brawling actually permitted in taverns?

Why is brawling actually permitted in taverns?
Why are adventurers allowed to bring in weapons/staves/spelltomes/familiar beasts into taverns?
Why are there no bouncers/guards posted at city taverns to ensure no tavern fights break out between adventurers?
Are player characters actually forced to pay for the damages for casting a fireball in a tavern or spilling blood everywhere?

What kind of jamoke commoner bouncer is gonna be able to stop two level five fighters from not throwing down?

And for that matter, who's gonna tell 'em "sorry, sir/ma'am, but I need you to leave your +2 hammer of destruction at the door. You can grab it when you leave, just be sure to keep your ticket."

That bouncer is getting +2 hammered of destruction.

stop me

Because fantasy games are exactly that, make-believe fantasy worlds where realism and common sense is thrown aside.

In the real world we have laws and security but in the fantasy world you can be piggybacking a demon-succubus-dragon-soul-drinking abomination down a street and nobody is gonna bat an eyelid at ya.

It's quite simple friend. All the mugs are enchanted. Can't get your booze if you don't have a claim ticket, and you don't get a claim ticket without leaving your gear at the door.

Easy-peasy. The whole tavern is staffed by veteran adventurers who are daring enough to serve to other adventurers. Being former adventurers themselves they are willing to tolerate some blood-spilling here and there - just don't let the blood spill to someone else's meal.

They keep an Igor on hand in case anyone gets injured. Make sure you've got your limbs tattooed otherwise you'll end up like Sam and Gregory.

The dwarves pay their tab by fixing furniture and any parts of the building that get destroyed.

And they keep a runner boy out on the road so he can notify the barkeep of any incoming adventuring parties, who then tells the town crier to spread the word.

The bar makes a decent amount of its revenue from spectacle alone, people buying drinks and tavern food while they watch the rogue and the drunken Paladin trade blows.

Don't you have business savvy bartenders that know how to maximize the profit from their patrons?

It's not. One of my players had to surrender his magic axe because he started shit in a tavern. Had to pay a 100-coin fine to get it out again.

The trouble really is not every inn can be a refuge in the wilds overseen by a powerful ranger.

Get an actually competent DM to run a tavern setting.

Allow the players to keep their equipments with them in a crowded tavern filled with vulnerable commoners - with the consequences to go with it. They will expect the staff and other patrons to be especially fearful to interact with them.

If a fight breaks out remind them that it's a city environment and they may get into trouble with the law if they commit arson or murder with their spells/weapons/whathaveyou. Force them to come up with measures like fighting barehanded or using diplomacy or more creative using of spells that doesn't involve fireballing everything to burning smithereens.

And yes, why the hell not? Make adventurers pay for the collateral damages.

Graador walks out with the keg.

Levelled townships. Why would a couple of level five heroes frequent the shitty pubs the average peasant goes to? Why would a level ten wizard want to hang with the newbies at the level five bar? Why would a level twenty character want to hang out in a mortal bar, instead heading to Valhalla to chill, armwrestle with the old heroes, and then take the afterparty to purgatory to shoot the shit with all the old heathen philosophers?

Salty Spitoon your establishments and level locations appropriately, this should also apply to quests and stuff. Low levels go to Weenie Hut, tough cookies go to Salty Spitoon.

This is assuming high fantasy, where levels make a difference, and not lower powered games where the difference of ten levels still won't save you from an unlucky roll on a poison trap (even if those ten levels bought you some skills to deal with poison, wealth enough to buy antidotes, and maybe some skills to avoid traps in the first place.)

Okay let's go with this:
>Free men are allowed or even required to carry weapons due to the threat of monsters and monster bounties are a lucrative business.
>Taverns have brawling rings and earn money of the entertainment, doctors earn money from the injured, the local government earns money from taxing them and not having to waste manpower on arrests.
>Wandering magic users are pandered to by nobles who want them to join their house and usually only have to pay part of the damages if they don't go too far to be seen as a threat.

>Why is brawling actually permitted in taverns?
or rather how will you stop them?
>Why are adventurers allowed to bring in weapons/staves/spelltomes/familiar beasts into taverns?
as above, if they want to bring their flaming sword in there is little choice in the matter
>Why are there no bouncers/guards posted at city taverns to ensure no tavern fights break out between adventurers?
no ordinary guard can stop the brawl, or worse, provoke a friendly fight into a one that can level the building
>Are player characters actually forced to pay for the damages for casting a fireball in a tavern or spilling blood everywhere?
it depends, being super powerful doesnt mean you have to be a dick, and whiel you may get away with smashing inns in the short term, making this a habit may cayuse you to transition to villain, and get attacked by someone your own size down the road

You can stop it by making it a social taboo. Most people don't walk down the street naked, even though they could.

if a barbarian walked naked down the street, there is little you could do to stop him

Other than point and laugh, while the guards take him down. All these fantasy settings assume heroes are somehow above everyone else, but even amongst guards there has to be a few hero-level people.

even if they could stop him, the collateral damage might not be worth it, the fight however will go down in legend as the naked barbarian fought against the captain of the guard in a titanic battle that caused much laughter and grief all at once

I imagine the guard and the barbarian are equally matched, until the guard just kicks the guy in the dick. Should've worn a crotch-plate.

>MY DICK I HARDER THAN ROCK!
>awkward stares
>I MEAN MY DICK RESISTS PAIN AND DAMAGE

These are all terrible answers. A random storekeeper or bouncer cannot stop a person from carrying a sword or a rifle into his store, he relies on civility, and most peoples general respect for other people's property and space.

And people usually do respect that. If they don't he gets a hold of the authorities.

In my games adventurers usually aren't allowed to carry overt weapons into taverns.
There's a small cloak-room in the front, where you leave weapons.
Inns and saloons in the old west often had similar arrangements, because you'd have a number of armed travellers rolling through a town.