mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

Previous Thread:

Describe your character for us /5eg/, why do you play the character you play?

Other urls found in this thread:

sageadvice.eu/2015/08/10/do-chain-pact-warlocks-get-the-familiars-magic-resistance/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for 8 int wizard

And I play him cause he beats kolbold dragon hunters

Second for 16 wis fighter.

Shillelagh and PAM.

When are we getting a new spell .pdf with all the spells that have been introduced in Elemental Evil and SCAG?

When's the new UA coming out, dudes, and for which class?

I play my rogue because for some reason, his ultimate weapon is that he can just bullshit his way out of anything.

Though he's also at the brink of insanity after getting ressurrected three times because he keeps getting plowed.

>Describe your character for us /5eg/
A boring druid with charisma as a dump stat, so I have fun ruining social situations and accidentally insulting NPCs

>why do you play the character you play?
Because my DM is a sadist and killed off my previous character

He doesn't like that we only do a point or two of difference and that "warlocks are meant to be backrowers".

He also thinks im equally as tanky despite having lower health but having magical resistance conferred by my imp.

My original defence was that im not doing anything near optimised, but in hindsight that wasn't a great idea because it made him madder.

>Character
Punch-lock, powered by his patron of muscle.
>why do you play him
wanted to do something different.

What build allows that? Ill show it to him and maybe he will chill out

I don't know dude. When that fighter could be doing 3d12+1d4+60 damage.
>I don't think 3d10+15 is broken.
Where are you getting +60 from?

A short TN Blue Draconic Sorcerer that's grumpy, bad with people, and dislikes being touched intensely. She will absolutely fuck your shit up if she doesn't trust you enough, either by stabbing you in the face or screaming Thunderclap-ing so hard your eardrums burst.

>Why
Because I've always been a fighter/paladin-y frontline MANLY JUSTICE type in vidya so I thought I should make my first experience with D&D/tabletops unique for me by playing something vastly different to that.

BTW what fighter subclass is he? Something tells me its champion

What was with the recent discussion concluding fighters were shit?

Does the fighter class desperately need reinstatement of the proficiency dice?

Considering it doesn't actually change things mechanically, it's fine.

If he said 'lol you can't play these characters fuck you' then it's a different story.

A level 10 cleric without his god in any campaign should still be functional if a bit sour. It'd be unfair to gimp them, honestly.

No battlemaster, he doesn't care that he can do things with his superiority dice, he cares that im "impeding" on his melee and at times doing more (like punching a person 30ft off a cliff)

Or punching a fireball in half (counterspell)

+5 STR 4 times = +20
+10 GWM 4 times = +40

What classes are pretty much perfect?
Which classes still need revision?

Munchkin players are such a fucking nuisance. Just tell your DM to give him a magical weapon already (preferably a sword of fuck off). It's the only way to shut those players up.

That's at level 20 though, the Warlock example is a minimum of level 11

He's a crazy person evidently

>That's at level 20 though, the Warlock example is a minimum of level 11
It's level 11, actually. Three main attacks from Fighter, one bonus from Polearm Master (that's why it's 3d12+1d4, not 4d12).

Officially? Never, AL rules conflict.

>What classes are pretty much perfect?
No class is perfect

>Which classes still need revision?
Sorcerer is the next one they should look at IMO

If one of my players, actually makes a backstory regardless of it being tropey as fuck, is it wrong to show favoritism and use NPC's he has a history with from his backstory as important baddies?

He's basically playing Inigo Montoya and making the man he's tracking be a minor bbeg would be easy whilst everyone else has the backstory of "I'm a powerful guy cause I am and I want more money/power/both etc."

So even though they don't really have backstories, I don't want them all to feel like side characters in Not! Inigo's story.

Oooh I see, you're using GWM on the PAM attack. Not sure that all DMs would let it slide, but RAW supports it, sure

>magic resistance from Imp

Why do people even fucking believe this
Would people believe 'Owl variant: Your owl can shoot laserbeams' for familiars?

You do not get magic resistance unless the Imp familiar is a variant Imp gained through DM means (Say, you capture and make a pact or agreement with an Imp, not just use find familiar)

Yes, I know they worded it extremely poorly in the monster manual but anybody should be able to step back and say 'Hang on a moment, isn't that kind of overpowered?'

Do a session 0 and tie everyone background together. That baddies did something to everyone.

oh wow. In that case we have been doing it wrong. Ill bring it up at the next game.

> not all DMs would let it slide
Why? It's a melee attack from heavy weapon.

Despite my post it's perfectly forgivable to have thought that.

It's Wizards here and whoever wrote the monster manual who fucked up.

sageadvice.eu/2015/08/10/do-chain-pact-warlocks-get-the-familiars-magic-resistance/

Is there Strength Requirments for any Armor or Weapons in 5e

Is the battletardmaster the one using PAM? If they're using PAM and GWM, they should easily outdamage the warlock unless they're doing something horrifically wrong.

No.

However, non-dwarfs need a certain level of strength to wear heavy armour (up to 15 strength for plate armour) without being slowed down by 10ft.

Even if you're a caster, as long as you're proficient you won't suffer any problems.

You can also wear armour you're not proficient with. The penalty is pretty harsh, and generally right now only Alchemist Artificers are likely to use armour they're not proficient in.

What are must have Bladesinger spells?
Mage Armor
Shield Haste
Misty Step

What else?

Only on heavy armor. And not meeting the requirement only decrease your speed by 10 feet. Just get a horse or something and you're golden.

We had been doing it, that whilst after I summon it it has to obey my commands as per find familiar, that if I entice it / please it / make deals with it to keep it around willingly that it would actually help out.

Whereas if I just told it to do things, it would obey the command and then break the bond and disappear, meaning i'd have to resummon it to issue it a second command (consuming my spell slots and money)

Luckily for me the imp just likes to see people get punched and doesn't like getting hurt.... I also feed it treats when I can.

All the same spells as a regular wizard because I mean bladesinger is just wizard with a bit more speed and a load more AC and later their attack is better than casting a cantrip but it's still not a reason to go into melee unless you were already closeup / the target's prone or you have a wolf barbarian or something.

Mirror Image
Blink
Animate Object
Simulacrum

Having to resummon it all the time (rather than using the thing where you can hide it as an action or something like that) sounds like a pain and a bit too much, but it's good that it's not a mindless help action slave.

Fuck 'My familiar rolls initiative in all the combats, charges in and helps until something kills it' familiar use.

It annoys me that a necromancer can create an endless army of the dead with animate dead but I can't make an small entourage of animated armours that last more than a minute.

Whhhhy

Does pally need Wisdom for anything?

>Describe your character for us /5eg/
Currently playing a Goblin Ranger whos great grandfather was a Goblin king that had united the scattered Goblin tribes into one peaceful civilization until his untimely assassination. My character was exiled from his tribe after a failed assassination attempt so he couldn't overthrow the current chieftain. He now travels the world as an adventurer, seeking to unite the goblin clans once more and take his place as king.

>Why do you play the character you play?
I really, really, REALLY, like Goblins and wanted to try out the UA Ranger. He originally started out as a little edgelord but I changed his backstory to mesh with the party better.

Doesn't really matter, the undead army is pretty lackluster let me tell you. Boring in combat and too restricted rp wise to really get any use out of.

The minute long spells at least let you do some crazy shit if you plan accordingly.

And there's always craft magic item if you want to animate a golem permanently.

I wish, when I first got him I pissed him off by making him distract a helmed horror we were running away from.

He did it as per the command, but then broke the bond and started harassing us as we withdrew - turning out torches, screeching when the I tried to hide.

He was a real duche. But well, Imp's gonna imp.

> 5e
> craft magic item
> before the BBEG execute their plan

Quick question: what book actually has the stats for commoners? I can't seem to find them.

Mostly because it doesn't pass the smell test. No matter how awesome you are with a polearm, it doesn't make sense that someone could squeeze the same amount of bonus damage out of the blunt end as you could from the pointy end.

The rules based argument is that attacking with the butt end of a polearm is effectively an improvised weapon, which is why it's 1d4 damage and not 1d8 (2h quarterstaff) so GWM shouldn't apply, or should only get +5, or +3, etc.

But yes it works RAW.

Haste will allow you to use melee or bow

Not that I can think of. Wisdom is for Clerics.

MM 345

> trying to apply logic in a high fantasy world
Enjoy not being able to use most of the stuff in MM because it ignore physic

Also you can being improvised doesn't take away weapon quality.

Why do you think SHARPSHOOTER + GWM IMPROVISED LONGBOW is a meme?

Perception check to not die.
Insight check to not get cuck.

*Also your weapon being improvised doesn't change the weapon quality.

Screw English, I'm back to my moonland.

Hand your faulty Imp back to hell and demand a factory reset.

They're lawful evil, not lawful bad-customer-service.

While there is an entry in the monster manual, it's pathetic.
Personally for most campaigns I'd put most in-shape commoners at about level 1 generally without class abilities.
That is, males of ages between 16 and 40 or so that aren't sick or have some sort of problem.

Or you could, you know, cast it on the paladin. He could probably make better use of it unless you're intent on staying at the frontlines anyway.
Even with advantage on con saves, you don't have con save proficiency and you only have d6 hitdice.

They are commoners, dude.

>playing ranger
>background is charlatan
>flaw is "I'm convinced that no one could ever fool me the way I fool others."
>took a level of rogue to have expertise in insight
>lie to me now motherfuckers

Yeah, he can't hurt me or the party as part of our deal.

> trying to apply logic in a high fantasy world
Well shit, I guess just because there are dragons we should just throw out all logic! Rules? Who needs em! I punch you for a million damage because there's a fairy in my story.

Don't be autistic.

How many hours until the usual time UA drops?

>Commoners are weaker than fucking kobolds
Hahaha
No.

If you want to run that in your game, sure, that's fine, but I prefer it that even the weak have a chance rather than being reduced to background cannonfodder with 4 HP.

I would at least put commoners at a kobold's level, CR 1/8.

You can't talk, you're dead. Beyond dead. I punched you so hard your soul exploded into a thousand piece and went back in time and erased you before you were ever born. Because dragons!

You were right this is more fun

>having magical resistance conferred by my imp.
Imp doesn't give you magic resistance by the rules. If it does in your game, tell him to find his own imp.

Motivate players by what their character wants. At least the character who wants to be rich and strong wants something. You can use that while Inigo is going for revenge. Motivation is more important than backstory.

But kobolds are monsters, user. Sure, they are not particulariyl dangerous by monster standards, but they are still monsters.

Not even that guy, but this is embarrassingly autistic. Please take it to another thread.

Thanks! I must have overlooked it or my Ctrl+f was broken or something.

Would a commoner be able to use a shortbow if the PC gave them one? I don't want them to help in combat or anything but to have them hunt for the party's dinner and maybe defend themselves if the DM targets them. I'm playing AL so I can't just convince the DM to let them use it.

Alright, enough vaccines for that guy.

Then I shall compare them to goats.

>same HP as a goat
>slower than a goat
>deals less damage than a goat, goat can deal more than twice as much damage
>goat has better con and strength, but super shitty int and pretty shitty charisma

Yeah, I know, a goat could probably beat a peasant in a fight. But this isn't even an even fight, the goat will mow down peasants like a lawnmower with its 2d4+1 attack and superior speed.

Unless they're a hunter, assume they're non-proficient, and they'll likely not have a good dex score to add to to-hit and damage, but sure.

Shortbow is a simple weapon, so I assume a commoner is proficient in it.

Louisiana Voodoo Diviner, because I've never played a Wizard

Whar spell allows me to levitate weapon and attack with them.

who /hype/ for hopefully good ranger UA

Animate objects I guess. Carry around 8 daggers and cast it on them

Yeah! I've always liked the class concept probably because I live in the middle of nowhere

Never played a game.

Commoner with shield and spear versus a goat in an endless field.
Both fight to the death.

Who wins?

I haven't really looked into them. Have any of them been good?

Are you okay? We can get you the psychiatric help you need.

They are monsters. A commoner is the lowest of the low. They can't even complete.

DM here. I'm confused about the Violet Fungus. It has blindsight 30 ft and is blind beyond that radius, but can it hear? I was thinking about doing something with 2 of those and some shriekers

They need to be remade

It is a fungus. It has no ears.

Sword and board fighter. Because playing an unremarkable goon makes my abysmal dice rolling less disappointing, and makes my successes that much sweeter.

Cleric one is great

Commoner
>12 AC
>4 HP
>1d6
>+2 to hit

>Goat
>10 AC
>4HP
>1d4+1 or 2d4+1
>+3 to hit

I guess it's down to who goes first, but the goat has more of a chance if it goes first

>Not going into melee as a bladesinger.
How lame can one person be?

Neither does a skeleton.

Why's that?

The ear has bones.
Checkmate,Atheists.

Are they ever going to release more good feats?

Also, anyone got suggestions for uses for Dragon Parts? Like eyes/skin/bones/blood/etc?

Heres some ideas I wrote

>Dragon Eyes
Darkvision Potion
>Dragon Blood
???
>Dragon Skin
Drake leather armor
this skin only came from a Drake so its not that hardy, maybe a lighter version of Leather armor with the same AC? My party is only level 2.
>Dragon Bone
Arrowheads that do +1 damage
Daggers that have +1 damage
>Dragon Steak
Double efficiency rations, only weight 0.5lbs but can be used as full day rations.

Are there any feats that are must-haves for an archer character?

The goat will always go first (They hang around at 40ft away from the peasant, and ready an action to move towards the commoner if they try to move away), but will likely end up attacking the commoner as they use the 'dodge' action or as the commoner is using a prepared action 'attack goat'.

I'd likely assume the commoner uses the dodge action, but the ram gets the first attack.

Thus, the goat makes an attack that would most likely instakill the commoner, but makes it with disadvantage. They have a 12/20 chance of success each time, so the chances they instantly win are about ((12/20)^2)*(15/16)
15/16 shows the chance that the goat hits but rolls 2 1s for damage.
From there on, it's trading blows with each side having a half chance of instantly winning in one hit, but the peasant having +1 higher chance to hit and the goat never taking more than 2 regular attacks to win whereas the peasant could theoretically take three or even four hits due to only having 1d6, not 1d4+1.
Peasant has a (1/2)*(13/20) chance of winning on their first attack.
Then it passes over to the goat again for their second attack. The goat can disengagea and move 40ft away and get ready to charge again, so actually forget what I said above about the goat going for 1d4 attacks. If the spear is thrown, it might kill the goat but if it misses the peasant is fucked.

You're just being sensible, is all. Who cares about being cool when your life is on the line?

>Dragon Blood
Let's you speak to birds.

Would it break anything if I allowed my Players an ASI after character creation?

>Who cares about being cool when your life is on the line?

user, I don't think you're playing D&D correctly.

Your DM isn't supposed to kill you if you die in game. Call 911.

Sharpshooter

Why are druids even a thing? Speaking as a player playing a control druid purely for battlefield lulz but it's kinda weird seeing a hippie hang around dirty city dwellers.

Fuck I've been playing it wrong this entire time.

Assuming you haven't rolled stats, it's perfectly acceptable. It makes ASI-hungry classes like monk and paladin better and kinda devalues certain ones that have extra ASIs as a class feature like fighter, but it's not a big change and monks can do with that ASI anyway.

If you rolled stats, what the fuck are you doing

>Dragon Blood
Temporary resistance to the damage type of the breath weapon the dragon had.

Depends.

Crossbow mastery is almost always a must for rogue or fighter. Maybe for ranger.
Sharpshooter is only really required for non-beastmaster rangers and fighters.