Dinosaur thread

We had such a fun thread yesterday, why not do it again?

Talk about dinosaurs, shitpost about proto-mammals, whatever.

Other urls found in this thread:

goblinpunch.blogspot.co.nz/2013/10/dinosaur-clerics-new-class.html
goblinpunch.blogspot.co.nz/2012/11/imaginary-dinosaur.html
goblinpunch.blogspot.co.nz/2013/10/after-his-burial-and-before-his-death.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theropoda
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Feathers

Old thread:

Here's the first chapter of Age of Reptiles: The Journey.

what if raptors were as fluffy as owls?

ayy lmao

Not sure what's up with those last couple pages. Maybe something got cropped incorrectly.

That's it for Chapter 1!

We didn't get a character guide with this one, or at least it wasn't included in the scan.

Bump

I'm designing a dinosaur tabletop game

So far it's a card based battle, board based positioning kinda setup.

I haven't settled on an theme or style yet, but here's one of my sketches of a juvenile rex.

If you could have a dino Veeky Forums what kinda features would you want?

I want to have three paths: Resource massing, population booming and territory expansion.

There is this idea for a super hero character involving a ghost raptor that I have been working on. Any Ideas on what i could add to the base concept?

>anything to add to the concept?

He's a ghost raptor? I have a suggestion.

How about start by explaining more of the idea, because I'm not quite sure I follow why a person would be a ghost AND raptor AND fight crime.

Some kind of changing environment would be fun.

Maybe the potential for a random megapredator like a hidden mosasaur or something showing up.

Natural disasters (flood, fire, etc.)

Oh I absolutely want it to be a PvE game, with chance for Co-Op, competitive and dueling modes.

Been trying to visualize the gameboard first before I make any drastic decisions, but knowing which areas to focus on for gameplay certainly help.

I had even played around with the thought of having it be narrow scoped arena combat, with powerups, armors, weapons and such. It was just a suggestion my friend made as I was sketching some stuff down for the initial idea; unsure if I'd go down that path yet.... that would be a fun side project to work on though, I will admit.

Not for the game btw, but here's some more dino doodles

Changing terrain, weather, huge bosses; these are all things I would love to build around.

>bell bottom legs

No wonder the dinosaurs went extinct. They had shit taste in fashion.

I feel as if birds are natures equivalent of women who wear a shit ton of makeup. Take away all their makeup/feathers and you get a completely different impression than what you first had.

But on the other hand, they are also natures equivalent of a great personality is better than a perfect body.

Here are some things i Didn't include earlier:
Has Psychic powers, mostly of the throw cars with his mind variety.

Is still connected to his fossilized body and will lose his ability to be a ghost if its destroyed. Serves the super team in return for its protection.

Is very cynical due to being one of the post-impact generation of dinosaurs.

Where could I go from there?

Make him the second cousin of the direct ancestor of all modern birds.
Therefore he treats random birds with a mix of care and calling them lazy bums/trying to give them life advice that's a couple dozen million years out of date.
Except cassowaries, proud of those, live up to the family name.

Nice idea, could add a nice bit of humor to the campaign, especially if I imply his life tips for birds didn't work that well even when he was alive.

Something I saved from Veeky Forums. One day I'll use it in a game.

goblinpunch.blogspot.co.nz/2013/10/dinosaur-clerics-new-class.html
goblinpunch.blogspot.co.nz/2012/11/imaginary-dinosaur.html
goblinpunch.blogspot.co.nz/2013/10/after-his-burial-and-before-his-death.html

By default, dinosaur clerics worship Tyroganon Ferox, the Paradox Lord of the Infinite Boneyard. It's a misconception that Tyroganon Ferox is an evil god. Yes, he wants to bring back dinosaurs and destroy all mammals, but he is also a stalwart enemy of cruelty, undead, and death cults. And the mammal tribes who worship him are treated well, and some are even allowed to become dinosaurs themselves.

Tyroganon Ferox's still struggles to bring his children back from their extinction, and so his servants include pseudo-imaginary dinosaurs and shuddering time-paradox zombies. In the hallucinatory jungles of Mar Maroo, his savage tribes protect and ride their flocks of almost-real dinosaurs.

The Dinosaur Lord of Impossible History has been following the present timeline very closely. And although he doesn't technically exist in the current world--yet--his dinosaurs have been slinking along the timelines, devouring all the mammals along the unused timeways.

Few people realize how close they are to hungry dinosaurs at all times. Tyrannosaurs lurk only a few months behind them. Yesterday, ankylosaurs are angrily destroying their houses. And packs of deinonychus lick their lips and watch you from only a few minutes ago. Time travel isn't difficult, but the even travelling a few minutes into the past is dangerous, since you may find packs of sarchosuchus tearing up your kitchen.

Travel far back enough in time, and you may even bump into Tyroganon Ferox himself, who blocks out the sun while pterosaurs circle him crying out their praises. His children have trampled your dead heroes into the dust. The recent past is full of dinosaurs tearing down your cities and roaring triumphantly.

how many of these are there ive read another one that centers mostly around a pack of velocorapters and a bunch of Trex

Same here user. One day...

Dino-bump.

www.natureworldnews.com/articles/25204/20160714/what-roar-study-reveals-dinosaurs-cooed-birds.htm

Did you know that the classic tyrannosaurus vs. triceratops fight would pretty much be a victory for the tyrannosaurus?

The triceratops skull (ceratopsian skulls in general) and horns weren't strong enough to gore tyrannosaurs. Even if the horn didn't snap off during the goring, the triceratops' skull and brain would get crushed by the weight of the tyrannosaurus falling onto its head.

Also, the amount of triceratops fossils give some indication their primarg defense against predation was breeding a lot.

The real cretaeceous fightclub was tyrannosaurus vs. ankylosaurus.

>how many of these are there

>Tribal Warfare (1993), posted last thread
>The Hunt (1996)
>The Journey (2009)
>The Body (2011)

I can post another chapter of The Journey tonight if people want it

>semicolong at the end of the line

DELETE * FROM Veeky Forums.tg

sorry for asking but, whats with this feathered dinosaur stuff?

is it a meme or a fact? i have seen it sometimes but im not sure about this

What that nonsense fails to mention is that a crocodile's bellow is also a "coo".

Some dinosaurs had feathers, this is well established. There is circumstantial evidence that almost all theropod lines contained feathered dinosaurs by the Jurassic. Some people think this means that T-Rex was fluffy.

I doubt that he was fluffy for the same reason most large mammals aren't fluffy.

Baby T-rex was probably downy.

>Feathers
>Not cool

I haven't spent the last 5 years of my live getting a M.Sc in Zoology and then getting halfway through a P.hD in Geology to hear you faggots spout that shit

Aves Uber Alles
Yes We Birb
Theropods Unite!

It's newspaper notation, where everything is divided with commas, only the first two things are more closely related, and a bigger separator is needed between those and subsequent items.

Item 1 (compound) -- scientists defeated, dinosaurs cool again
Item 2 -- butter now healthy
Item 3 -- unicorns probable

Tl;dr: it's fine.

well then, why are they always portrayed as reptile-like without feathers? (its not that i dont like it, its that it intrigues me)

this feather stuff is something i have started to sea a few years from now, not since... like 1990, i mean, i grew up with the standard velociraptor not a fluffy one like the onse i have seen recently (recent years, not days heh)

People think it looks cooler because when someone says "bird" they think "chicken" rather than "sharp-shinned hawk" or "bearded vulture."
Also it's hard to change many many years of tradition quickly, especially since "dinosaur" has "lizard" built into it via "-saur".
Besides, reptiles are just sexier than avians.

Because pop-culture and laymen portrayals move at a very different pace than the scientific ones?

We (the scholars working in this field) had the idea of feathers for 30 or so years, circumstantial evidence of feathers since the 90s, Direct evidence of feathers since the early 2000s, a literal mountain of observable specimens and taxonomic inferences nowadays.

But this stuff takes years to filter out into the public sphere. Mostly because people are comfortable with what their nostalgia tells them and unsure as to "how scientists can know"

And explaining how we know is hard, because Joe Average isn't gonna sit for a 3 hour lecture where you lay the foundation of Cladistic bracketing, how to distinguish synapomorphies, molecular analysis of fossil specimens, and how the gene clusters expressing integument differ within archosauria. So we have to trust in the "isn't this cool/neat!?" approach of pop-sci, which takes a while

>reptiles are just sexier than avians
lol, thanks for clearing my doubs

so, do kobolds, lizardfolks and reptile aliens (those that supposedly live among us) should have feathers? i guess kobolds would stay out since they are draconic i think

Do dinosaurs play any role in your world? If they aren't prevalent, do they at least exist?

In mine, Firenewts have been leading blitzkrieg-like attacks against major cities using carefully bred and trained dinosaurs as their mounts and siege weapons.

The Firenewts are natives of a nearby island, home of all dinosaur life. They heard of winged beasts, somewhat similar to dinosaurs, that can harness elemental powers on the mainland. Those being dragons. They hope that creating operation homes on the mainland will lead them to find dragon eggs to breed and use as war machines. They aren't aware of their intelligence yet, however.

dinosaurs in popular culture aren't frequently depicted with feathers because it was only fairly recently found out that they had them

we can confirm that some of them did and theorize that, in fact, the majority did past a certain point in time

this was only confirmed well after thinks like Jurassic Park popularized the modern conception of dinosaurs

Nah, those are based off of reptiles.
As you can see from this picture, they don't have feathers.

correction, the majority of theropods, as far as i am aware, no four legged dinosaur has produced any evidence of feathers

The feather evidence only became widespread knowledge less than 20 years ago (ie after JP), and culture always lags.

In my 5e game, I'm playing a ranger with a Velociraptor (tiny sized) which I describe to everyone else as a land-hawk

No, besides the kobolds being draconic thing. Lizardfolk and other such creatures are based on, well lizards.

"Reptile" is a funny concept, it makes perfect sense from a surface understanding but falls apart when you look deeper. As the hastily made MS Paint drawing I slapped together shows: "Reptiles" includes alot of the animals in this group but not ALL of them, to be scientifically valid under current understanding of evolution a group can't "cross over" like that unless it includes everything in the cross over area. As birds arn't considered reptiles but crocodiles are, that presents a problem

Also turtles are problematic

Hmmm kinda get you. The other half of me is lost heh

Yes, that's why I didn't even try to include the fuckers in the diagram

whats more mammals including us also branched off from reptiles, if far earlier,and all of those come from amphibians and fish. The fundamental problem is all these categories are things we just came up with, there isn't a clean line because evolution doesn't work that way, there aren't cutoff points, no clean line with dinos on one side and birds on the other, just development overtime.

TL:DR

Reptiles are a grouping that shares similar physical traits, but do not have a close genetic link. Dinosaurs and Crocodilians are both closer to birds then they are to snakes, lizards or turtles.

DINOSAURS DIDNT HAVE FEATHERS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

eh, Synapsids branched early enough that I wouldn't consider them reptiles, early synapsids were reptile-like, but not greatly related to modern diapsids

Were you there?

i mean where the branch happened isn't really relevant at some point in time they where a common ancestor, now they are not, saying we both came from "post amphibians" or whatever doesn't really change the point...

I like you.

Heh thanks for clarifying everything for me

Do you happen to know wich dinosaurs had feathers? so that i can look for some pics

Order Theropoda (Dromaesaurs, Tyrannosaurids, and therizinosaurids,)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theropoda

ah, I got ya

Asian dragons have feathers in many depictions

i remember them having hair and whiskers, but not feathers

forgot pic

As to the extent that feathers were common in dinosaurs I can't say. I wanted to be a paleontologist when I was a kid but I don't keep up on dinosaur discoveries. That being said, the ones that did have feathers do not appear like the common artist rendition of feathered dinosaurs.

>it's a fact because I say it is

>Look at me I've been a renowned dinosaur scientific for more than 30 years lol
>I also have a 40inch dick lol

gotta have some sleep, thanks for solving my doubs, ill check the thread tomorrow (in the archive i guess... lets hope its still alive)

btw, i always wanted an archeopteryx as a pet, this one or another one i cant remember its name, but it has wing-like legs besides the normal wings i think

We've found Psittacosaurus (an ornitchian dinosaur) with quills of some kind. Not feally fully developed feathers like some theropods, though.
Feathers are kind of interesting in that some kind of proto-feathers appear to be basal to archosaurs. Pterosaurs also have pycnofibers, which aren't feathers but are compositionally similar, and even modern crocodiles have genes that in birds are tied to feather formation. So it's possible that early archosaurs had proto-feathers, and the ancestors of the dinosaurs lost them only to re acquire them later.

this is true but proto feathers are pretty distant to what people think of when someone says feathers

Ever since I found this comic, domesticated velociraptors that are treated like fancy smart chickens just makes sense.

If you put an elephant on an island = dwarf

if you have a lizard on an island = dragon

You can't make this shit up

No they are not.
Its just one of those new trends of pretending to be smart.
No feathers arent cool, you dont get to decide what is or isnt cool, beeing scientififallcy accurate doesnt make something cool.

and beeing faux scientificially accurate makes it even less cool like all the "Feathered T-rex" spouters. They think that by making it different from your childhood t-rex they are making it somehow better and more "accurate".
You know why Elephants dont look like mammoths? Heat conversion. So no, feathered T rex adult T-Rex is probably just a meme of people trying to appear smart.
And thats what pisses me off the most, im not gonna be pissed off for science proving that some dinosaurs looked lame.
But im pissed at people who think they are smart for pretending that dinosaurs looked even more retarded than that.

This comic made me be slightly less mad at feathered dinosaurs. Cute as fuck.

>implying implications

its a picture made by an artist.

we have conclusive evidence that a t rex would have had feathers at some point in their lives, but the same can be said about an elephant.

ive been more talking about stuff like this

Yeah! T-Rex should look exactly like it did from my childhood and never change!

Having a horizontal stance isn't cool, you don't get to decide what is or isn't cool, beeing scientififallcy accurate doesn't make something cool.

and beeing faux scientifially accurate makes it even less cool like all the "Horizontal T-rex" spouters. They think that making it different from your childhood t-rex they are making it somehow better and more "accurate".
And that what pisses me off the most, im not gonna be pissed off for science proving that some dinosaurs looked lame.
But im pissed at people who think they are smart for pretending that dinosaurs looked even more retarded than that.