Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Familiar Edition. What's your favorite familiar? Any stories?

>THIS IS IMPORTANT!
If you want build advice make sure to say what 3pp you can use, if any.
>THIS IS IMPORTANT!

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/JTj1yEmU

Avowed Playtest 1:
drive.google.com/open?id=0B5HkyGRtGZy3SWVhdWFBWERWWjg
Avowed Playtest 2: docs.google.com/document/d/1rV7kaF9JL2gw9xQalkEnlEDL9WXtbsaCqNABm_pLIgc/edit?usp=sharing
Malefex Playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1W3LrE8WyIxxYRr8d9dHsWioeUk_-HZaSMqVWRnzc9Fc/edit?usp=sharing
Legendary Kineticists II Playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/11_w1o5dSef2tzu2GDLnJKElHY3uyETzuzFHDAjI6P6k/edit?usp=sharing
Spheres of Might preview: docs.google.com/document/d/1aLaYQEFAWU4zQBx58boJPPaySLgJc0Emmw9eKyIJeGI/

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/hTZxEx8
d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/monster-advancement
d20pfsrd.com/magic#TOC-Transmutation-Polymorph
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Pipefox! Very cute!

Posting the discord for the persistent world project from last thread. Current topics: Quantum fog of war and Dwarven cities.
discord.gg/hTZxEx8

Asmodean Advocate gets a snake familiar. Mine is an asp. I call him Aspmodeus.

None. I dislike having familiars/Psicrystals/etc.

The one time I played a witch it was a tiefling that kept his snake familiar in his pants.

>What's your favorite familiar?
I haven't played Pathfinder, but if there's an option to play a kitsune spellcaster with a kuda-gitsune familiar I might.

If kuda-gitsune are pipefoxes, then you're in luck.

In ym 5e campaign my chain warlock has a pseudodragon familiar that's basically a massive housecat, and is like half her weight because of how tiny she is.
Needless to say, wearing a big lizard like a scaly scarf gets her some weird looks.

Alright /pfg/, I've been reading Dungeon Defense because FFXIV is down for maintenance, and kinda like the idea for a campaign.

>PCs would be generals/low-tier demon lords or what not
>In charge of castles/villages/towns or something
>Politics, nobility, social maneuvering, kingdom-building
>Occasional rising heroes that must be stopped

What say you /pfg/?

That sounds cool?

What does char gen look like?

This
I'd be interested, but only if chargen wasn't a clusterfuck

No idea yet.

I personally like 1+3pp, 25pb and a level 5 start. Gestalt is a neat thing, but I see it as a high-op option more than build enabler, so idk about that one.

Golarion: y/n?
Lewds: y/n?

Golarion:N
Lewds:N, but I personally don't care what players do via PM.

Y
Y
I like gestalt because I'm a new player and it means I don't have to make as many meaningful choices.

>Don't have to make as many meaningful choices.
>Literally twice the choices
What did he mean by this?

What 3p?

Golarion Y (unless eberron is on the table)
Lewd Y

Honestly, Gestalt forces you into a lot more choices. It's super easy to get left in the dust.
What 3pp? Path of War? Psionics? Spheres? Jolly stuff?

Any leaks of the Qadira book yet?

Fine with either
Y, because degeneracy sells

If I pick one shit class, the other can make up for the deficiencies.

If the game's at a high optimization level, I'm fucked anyhow, so I'm not to worried about being left behind.

Also, holy fuck this
Eberron makes me moister than an oyster.

>Also, holy fuck this

Eberron is the greatest tabletop setting to come out of recent memory.

I guess DSP, SoP, Forrest's and N. Jolly's works? I'm admittedly not the most familiar with Jolly/Forrest's stuff. Would there be particular 3pp you guys would want to see/want to not see?

I've never looked into Eberron, and wouldn't know where to start. Not opposed, just completely inexperienced.

Hoo boy, wrong answer there! Don't you know /pfg/ hates PoW and SoP now?

Eh, DSP is kinda meh for me. SOP/Jolly/Forrest is good though.

And please find the core book for eberron, it's the best setting.

We do? I've been gone for a while and a lot changes, I guess.

m a g i c
b o d y
t a t t o o s

PoW is cool as long as you make it clear that obvious attempts to fuck the game aren't alright.
Also, good god above, look into Eberron.

>Eh, DSP is kinda meh for me.
Psionics is good.

Psionics is, but PoW will hopefully be invalidated by SoM.

>tfw I like PoW
I don't understand why all the hate. Is it just because the errata hasn't come out yet?

It's because all of these high profile campaigns came out with PoW allowed. People don't hate it, they just hate whatever the norm is.

They liked it back when it was, like, really obscure, man, you wouldn't understand it.

But then it got all popular, all, like, mainstream. Sold out. And it sucks. The sound's not as good and the lyrics are The Man, you know? Sure they hadn't actually put out other books, so it's still the same ones from back then, but it's not the same at all.

Well, it's pretty deep, I wouldn't expect you to understand.

Does Eberron have low-tier demon-lords that could do some kingdom-building, and harem-building since the thread might want that?

I'm not sure either, though I don't know what SoM is.

Here's other questions:
Feat tax removals?
All races getting a "+2 any physical, +2 any mental, -2 any" thing, to help combat choosing races for stats?

That score setup system seems really interesting, so races can be more flavorful than mechanical, although race traits would still be important.
Also, Eberron has noble houses and dragon bloodlines and body tats, pretty much everything you could ever want in a setting

Eh, it's not going to be. SoM smacks a bit too close of "hurr numbers" just the same as PoW does. Both are going to need some serious edits before I'd include them in any game I ran.

>5k gold = 100lbs of weight

How do you manage high values of currency and wealth?

Literally just being disliked because it's popular and it's cool to speak against it now.

I even bet the "Jolly+Forrest" user is the same guy every time.

>3 hours till Dragon Game picks

Gemstones, Platinum pieces, art, spending it on shit.

I thought it was 2, unless I'm retarded.
Central is GMT-6, right?

Bank notes

>so races can be more flavorful than mechanical
That'd be more or less the point.. Not sure if it's a good idea, but I'd like to see what happens.

Best of luck to all applicants of Dragongame!

Bags of holding

Yep. That's neat, though. Got a link?

I love the idea, but have no clue how it would work out from a balance perspective.
Would humans and half elves still have the option to just take a +2 in a single score?

He needs an hour after close to announce

I think I'd let all races do that, just drop the -2 into one of the +2's and boom, only +2 in any score.

You sound like someone I'd want to play with.
I love having loads of player choice and customization..

You too my man.

Should I just look for the Eberron Campaign Setting Book? I did want to try my hand at home-brewing a setting, but a pre-established one sounds nice, though less of a fit.

How about the campaign itself, any thoughts on that?

>Should I just look for the Eberron Campaign Setting Book? I did want to try my hand at home-brewing a setting, but a pre-established one sounds nice, though less of a fit.

Eberron is pretty much the best settings out there, it'd work wonderfully though I'd say you could find far better uses for it.

>What's your favorite familiar?
Depends on what I need.

Magus - Ioun Wyrd, because you need that +2 nat armor bonus and blindsight

Wizard - Anything that offers a +4 initiative bonus, because your role as crowd control is predicated upon you casting first.

Sorc - Raven or Parrot, because if you're gonna make use of that high charisma, might as well your talking bird complements you by granting bonus to diplomacy while also using your own skill checks.

Improved Familiar? I only have one true favorite. The Shikigami - because with fast-healing, construct traits and DR, combined with the Bodyguard familiar archetype, effectively doubles your casters effective HP by proxy.

Find the Eberron book even if you don't use it for demon lord game, my dude.
It's the magnum opus of tabletop game settings.

As for the campaign idea, I fucking love it. Demons are always fun to play with, as well as the concepts of primordial sin and vice.

It might be less "primordial sin and vice" and more "hierarchy of solomon's demons". Like more Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy than DOOM.

Either way is great.
Be sure to shill the fuck out of it when/if you get an LFG set up.

Yeah, that might be in a while since I'd need to read through the Eberron book, figure some basic setting stuff out, and play shit ton of FFXIV first.

How am I supposed to have huge guts as a weebdemon though?

You aren't, nerd!

>hierarchy of solomon's demons
>weeb
REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

So, who here owns a copy of the Goetia?

Ioun Wyrd is +1 to AC.

I'm Jewish. I got a full Talmud.

When I lay it on a bookshelf it stretches from end to end.

You miserable slut, you know you can handle it.

I am a Sorcerer. I take an Abyssal Bloodline Familiar.

My Familiar's Damage Dice are increased by 1 step.

I now make my familiar a Mauler.

>Battle Form (Su)
>At 3rd level, a mauler gains the ability to transform into a larger, more ferocious form and back at will. In battle form, the mauler's size becomes Medium and the mauler gains a +2 bonus to Strength (this stacks with the normal Strength adjustments for increasing in size).
>(this stacks with the normal Strength adjustments for increasing in size)

That paragraph is the important part. Under Monster Advancement rules for size changing.

>d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/monster-advancement
We have a chart for size changing.

As well one can cast spells on a familiar that don't normally target it because share spells. So enlarge person is game.

Then I am a human who takes feats for evolved familiar.

Fox have by far the large strength for their size.

In the end this means at level 3 as Sorcerer 1/Eldritch Guardian Fighter 2 I have the following:
>Racoon base strength: 9
>After Battleform: 19
>With Increased Strength: 20
>With Enlarge Person: 22
>Evolved Familiar for Claws
>Familiar shares Power Attack with you
>Bite/Claw/Claw
>+8 to hit
>4d6+1d8+24

At the cost of 1 feat and also being a level 1 sorcerer. Though the build itself can do without those levels in fighter so the familiar doesn't have power attack.

the familiar stat boost by turning medium works under the "enlarge person" stat bonuses and not the monster advancement rules.

d20pfsrd.com/magic#TOC-Transmutation-Polymorph

Eberron doesn't fit too well with demon lords (doesn't really fit the cosmology), but it DOES go great with nation-building type stuff and monstrous characters in general. In the setting, a 100-year-old war just ended 5 years ago, and everyone's still picking up the pieces, to the point that there's an entire small nation of monsters, lizardfolk, etc that formed because all the majority humanoid countries had the shit kicked out of them too much from the war to intervene.

You have 45 until submissions close.

Have Healer's Handbook scans been posted?

Phew! Just submitted my small dumb fighter dragon girl.

45 what?

>mfw our session devolved into Christopher Walken impressions and discussing how we could smuggle Jeremy Irons out of a city in a Bag of Holding, and the prospects of having a Dead Jeremy Irons we shove out to resurrect.

44, 43, 42, 41...

>what's your favorite familiar
Symbiote!

Then from Tiny to Medium with BATTLEFORM is a total +8 rather than +10, meaning it'll have 20 Str.

There's a symbiote familiar? Please tell me more.

>not Figment Tumor
Why even play if you're not playing a hypochondriac?

If you're going to rez anyways, you only need a finger!

>do you trust your party enough to slit your own throat when you get captured?

Of course then there's bull's strength.
Would form of the dragon or giant form stack with battle form?

Tiny to Small is +4 STR/-2 DEX, there's no additional size modifier from Small to Medium. You get another +2 STR on top of that from the battleform ability itself for a total of +6, not +8.

Do you mean that one from Legendary Villains: Vigilantes?

Well. Half an hour left before Dragongame closes, and all my character's missing is her items.

Could be worse!

Spend all your gold on an item that boosts Profession (courtesan).

give list

What are your experiences with royalty, /pfg/? Pleasant? Unpleasant? Violent? Embarrassing?

I love royalty!

this work?

yiss

by raw you can give it Evolved Familiar for some nice energy resistance, but since Jolly said you can't give it improved familiar, maybe that's not actually a thing

The standard pricing is 2,500 gp for a +5 competence bonus to a skill. Armillary amulet, goggles of minute seeing, etc. There aren't any ones that specifically apply to Profession (courtesan), but you could see if the GM would approve it.

A lot of different ones actually.

The moment I realized the old senile king who has been pissing himself and giggling while his children plot his accidental death not only wasn't senile, but had been controlling the secret police through a proxy and the high priest was in on it fucking terrified me.

The moment was "Do you believe the empire could be held together by squabbling children" as the bent back old man stood up straight and looked my character in the idea was spooky. Then the moment I realized we had just been discussing killing one of his kids sent me into overdrive.

Bunny outfit; ears, wrist cuffs, and pantyhose all enchanted.

phooey, only have 235 gold to buy odds and ends with

I said that about going improved familiar with it, evolved familiar is just fine. If I didn't, that's what I meant to clear up confusion.

Well, you can get a mundane version of what suggests for the time being, and pick up enchantments when you've earned your keep

Hm.

What would you call a pair of glasses that work as a divination spherestaff?

Interesting, in a word. I spent half the campaign convinced that the noblewoman I'd been married off to was going to betray me, since a) I'd gained my current power by killing two of her cousins, and b) I knew the GM and most of the other players to be Song of Ice and Fire fans.

Turns out, the secret plotting behind my back she'd been doing was actually to make our kingdom more powerful, and she ended up carrying us through a fight with a pit fiend when it turned out she had both a dozen levels in Paladin, and had picked up a half-celestial template.

All in all, it turned out pretty damn well.

"Stupid glasses of the dumb nerd idiot"

If it's for dragon game, I've got craft wondrous item and a lot of craft and professions skills, if we both get accepted!