WIP - Painting/Converting/Sculpting General

Watch Duncan paint ugly models edition

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>Reinforcements are en route
youtube.com/watch?v=UID6LEzvRRo

>Previous Threads:

u wot? swear an me mum I'll give ye a right krumpin

Time to spend another hour cleaning bits before crashing for the night.

>he only has one power klaw

What a git

Look at the file name m8. Thats a proper ork freebooter

ork-user was posting orks in the 40kg thread over the weekend and was getting trolled all over the place by some sperg who insisted that an ork nob should not be modeled with two klaws because that is technically not a legal configuration.

Mk4 Librarian on a bike. If I use an Outrider squad as a base, what parts should I use to get the hooded Librarian look going? Dark Angels hooded heads, but are there Mk4 robes?

Almost done converting some mek gunz for a tourney this weekend, will post pics soon lads

I'd personally use the a hooded head and the robed biker legs in the ravenwing accesory pack.
pretty sure those are MK4.

fuck that noise

orks do what they want

Rule of cool overides most other rules

still technically WYSIWYG

Man... They look nice, but I don't know if I can justify $15 for the two bits. Maybe I'll see if we've got a local DA player.

Red Hunters don't get anything nice like that sprue.

well it does also come with a robed head and torso and sword arm, so you basically have a complete guy.
But yeah it's hella hard to justify.

Making progress on my bases, man i fucking love tiles

What're they made out of?

guys help my greenstuff is acting funny

The floor from the wh40k ruins

See, you didn't mix it well enough, now it won't cure properly.

Is that an eel of some sort?..

Its green stuff dude

Whoa...

reposting, finally getting back to these after a year hiatus.
Going to be Basilean for Kings of War, need to get a hold of some large angelic wings for the 54mm models. I'm not too crazy about the shield formation but the models in it actually look good aside from the faces that you can't see. For a paladin on dragon I'm going to get a magma dragon from FW and put a flotilla on it's back with a Roman emperor model on a throne or something with his cohort wielding spears, like mumak riders.

a lot of greenstuff coming out of china is illegally harvested in international waters and often improper methods are used to prepare it for shipping. seen here, this one was still alive upon arrival.

I dont buy the chinese greenstuff anymore, i only buy eco friendly greenstuff caught in the baltic sea

I know some people suggest using the animal-free milliput instead, but it behaves oddly with water and frankly doesn't have quite the same properties.

What's your current project /wip/?

Trying to do an ulthwè fire prism here

Can I shoot pic related through an airbrush?

>tfw you cleverly hide your flying stem so well nobody can see it
>tfw some faggot says your flyer is now a ground tank because he can't "see" the flying stem and it's "what he 'sees' he gets"

Stop building your models underwater you idiot

Yes, but you may have to thin it. Some people do some people don't, even though they both use .2mm. You'll definitely need to thin it and crank up the PSI if you're .15mm and below 25 PSI.

I heard animal-free putty can give you autism and chemical burns

Cool, thanks.

Also, apply gloss and then matt varnish or is matt varnish enough protection? Speaking of gaming models, plastic and resin.

my friend, a nid player, once had his flyrant in 'gliding' all game, and then during my turn 5 i was going to shoot its really high profile over a building, and he said 'now its "walking" so it's profile is lower and you cant shoot it"

im not even shitting you

he had a big sulk after that and threatened to build his flyrants without wings or tails

What is sufficient ventilation? If I set up a standing fan blowing across my workspace out to an open door leading to the outside, will that stop me from turning retarded?

It's a blue ribbon eel. They have really cool noses.

I used to pain Wh40k many years ago when I was but a retarded child. Recently I've wanted to get into 1/35 scale armour models mostly from the cold war era, but I'm struggling to find resources on how to paint right. There's plenty out there about how to achieve specific effects once the groundwork is laid, but I haven't found much on how to go from bare plastic to the point where you'd start doing the specific effects. There's a lot of WH40k stuff out there, but I have questions about its applicability.

I know that 1/35th scale models are /toy/ and not Veeky Forums but you guys know your shit a lot more than they do.

They still trigger me. Romans didnt have pillum sticking out in testudo formation. Even not from a historical point of view it's retarded as you can see they are just dtucking up in the air. How are those gonna be effective at all when they are above the enemies heads???

>he had a big sulk after that and threatened to build his flyrants without wings or tails

I lol'd

If you can smell the aroma of the fumes, you have insufficient ventilation. Usually a fast enough fan is sufficient ventilation. Most retards just try to use passive ventilation and say shit like "is opening my window/door enough" when literally standing out in the street is sometimes not enough ventilation.

99.9% of the tutorials for building tanks will be with an airbrush. There are many videos that teach you how to fill the seams and gaps in a plastic model, file and buff it to a good finish, then spray primer and the base colors and camouflage over it on YouTube.

I've never seen one that teaches you to do it with a paintbrush but perhaps you can look for 40K tank painting tutorials.

I don't really understand your question. Are you asking how to apply paint to a model?

>assemble model
>clean up, fill gaps, etc
>prime model (aerosol primer, airbrush, brush-on)
>paint model the colours you want it to be
>weathering, varnish, washes

It's an advancing formation, I mean I don't think you can have that many pilums in between soldiers and would have to break formation to wield them effectively. It's a fantasy setting that I'm using them in so there are giant creatures too, not saying that they can't simply level their spears

I forgot to mention there's a row of spears parallel to the ground they just weren't inserted underneath the shield piece

Legit question: where do they put their long weapons if not sticking out of the shields? Would this formation only be used with short weapons?

Romans wouldn't even fight in that formation. Also thinking about them inside that formation with at best one hand at the very is laughable.
Imperial era romans didn't use long weapons much. Auxiliaries they brought along would sometimes have spears and what not. Don't know if romans ditched thier pilum when in testudo or not.

You're telling me one hand with shield and other with pilum being supported by the weight of the shield formation wouldn't be effective? At that point all you'd have to do is lunge your spear

Im telling you that you are retarded.

S A V A G E
A
V
A
G
E

It's not that hard to believe..

You telling me that you're gonna be able to throw that pillum above the rest of that formation when you can hardly get any momentum for that pillum? Shields themselves would even further hinder any chance of getting a good throw. Also trying to stab some big fantasy creature with it as spear is retarded cause you aren't gonna get much of a thrust for stabbing either. This isn't rocket science user.

If it's a spear I'm saying it can't be held underhand while keeping formation, they wouldn't be able to turn or reform

Is it possible to mix brighter metllics by hand? Need some edge highlights for armor and don't want to spend another 7€ for something you need so little paint for.

Make a white glaze by thinning down white with a lot of thinner. Thinner, not water. Then mix the glaze into the silver. Don't just mix white straight into the silver or you kill the shine.

Vallejo and other companies sell products specifically for this purpose for blending metallics. They're like these various colored inks, such as white or ash or blue.

But if you were going to buy an expensive bottle of that shit you might as well have just bought a pot of brighter silver from Vallejo or whomever to begin with.

Yeah, might as well at that point. Oh well, guess I'll have some new paints to mess around with.

Why would you spray varnish using such a tiny needle.

Matte alone rarely is good protection. Do gloss and matte.

Material is not really all too important. Resin is usually more frail but more detailed and used for more special models.

Because some morons go "finer needles are better! haha i'll just buy one .15!"

>but the fucking airbrush GIVES you a larger gauge needle!

Are you really going to sit there and tell me that an airbrush idiot didn't bend that needle long ago?

Also, some people do spray Vallejo through .15. Don't know why they just do.

My airbrush is spraying out paint even when i'm not pulling back the trigger.
The nozzle seems clean. anyone can suggest what might be going on?

needle not fully put into the nozzle or slightly bent?

Fuck, yea the needle was like a nanometer out of place pushed it up and now it's fine.

Anyone got an idea on what I should do?

One of my skimmershad its stand broken basically flush with the modell. I can't get the remainder of the stand out of the inside and trying to glue the broken stand back together was a bandage solution, as the parts' joining was tenuous at best, and the stand broke again very soon after.

God damn Celestine is a fun model to paint. No idea why I enjoy it so much but she just feels good to paint.

Yesterday, for the first time in seven years, I cut myself. Not noteworthy in and of itself, but I somehow managed to do it with sprue cutters of all things. I decided that I should stay away from stuff for a while, before I manage to stab myself with a brush, or impale myself on a file.

Be safe user.

>cut out Onager Dunecrawler I got for Christmas
>smashed my knife against my thumb so often that I now have enough micro-cuts for my phone to be unable to read my fingerprint

I mean, only one of those actually bled but it's still pretty fucked up and annoying.

i tabbed back in and forgot what board i was on and thought you were self-harming

one time i jabbed myself a tiny bit with my hobby knife, and it didnt really hurt but i was so suprised i dropped my knife and it fell and pieced my toe through my ugg boot

shut the fuck up you fucking faggot

Sorry your shit makes no fucking sense.

>forgot what board I was one

user, what boards do you visit where self-harming is aregular topic?

Captcha: way out

Drill gently and shallowly (ideally with a hand drill) into the stem that remains in the model, then either use some appropriate implement to grip against the interior surfaces created by this pit and remove the stand, or if you must then firmly glue some small rod in there and after leaving it to dry use that to remove the stand.

Then sand the remaining stem down to flat, and proceed as normal.

I PAINT NO VENTILATION

NO VENTILATION BAD

PAINT FUN

HURR

>through my ugg boot
>ugg boot
>uggs

user, are you alright? Are you having a stroke?

Probably since /lgbt/ since they subconsciously realise how much they're fucking up their bodies.

Mfw i see people wearing ugg boots in public mfw i'm friends with a guy that does that

i got them discount from work and it was winter :(
the pair i had was aussie wool and manufacture and usually retail for about two hundred and i got them for twenty
/v/. what the fuck even goes on in that place any more.

not him, you're just a shit cunt fuck off. kill yourself even faggot.

>with a guy that does that
Aren't uggs women's shoes...?

Boohoo. Theres more wrong with them such as dudes on the sides must have 3 arms so they can hold 2 shields and a pillum.

I'm not going to knock wearing uggs in my own home. I wear whatever the fuck I want there, if my home is drafty and normal slippers don't cut it then a calf height slipper may be what I'd need. I imagine they're comfortable as hell

theyre pretty unisex in australia. you're considered pretty bogan if you wear them out of the house, though. theyre like house slippers.
the whole 'uggs for fashion' thing is mostly overseas, by the american UGG company promoting them as such. ugg isnt copyrighted in australia, and it's a generic term for any sheepskin boot. fuck why did i bring up uggs i sold them for three years i hate this fucking pitch about the history of uggs

>PTSD about selling uggs
My condolences.

>bogan
Oh man

Good lord they're like Missouri rape river hillbillies

But if it's Australia, wouldn't your feet be more liable to overheat wearing them?

Fuck off.

Bogans may not be refined, but they are the only real Australians who live in cities.

You latte-sipping white-collar fucksticks can fuck off back to America where you and your disassociated middle-brow upper-middle-class "intelligentsia" and its privilege politics belongs.

Go ahead mods, ban me for offtopic. Fucking do it.

i worked in souvenir shops so every day was
>tourist from overseas come in
>"are these authentic uggs?"
apparently UGG brand shops tell their customers that other brands are 'fakes' instead of explaining how the copyright works in australia
>give them the above spiel about copyright, yadda yadda
>they listen politely
>then walk out of the store telling their friends that that was 'a roundabout way of saying theyre not authentic uggs'

jesus christ i know i'm a salesman but you should be able to tell i'm being honest christ i just want to think about models and painting models

Why all the hate

>tfw also a salesperson
I know that feel.

>try and give someone honest and sensible advice based on your experience with over 10 different television brands and manufacturers on why spending more to buy something that isn't fucking Soniq is a good idea
>get told to my face that I'm just trying to scam them blah blah blah A Current Affair and so on
>they buy the Soniq
>call me up a few weeks later because it's shit itself

Every time this happens I feel like laughing in their face because I know that they're too dumb to make the connection between them not following my advice and their broken fucking television unless someone smarter than them points it out.

I always send the TV away for repair (which takes 6-8 weeks if it's Soniq) rather than replace it, no matter how cheap of a TV it is. I've sent TVs that cost under $150 away for repair and had them gone for three fucking months and I don't even bad. Far from it, I feel good. As salespeople we're told to make friends with our customers so they buy shit from us, but it works both ways. If our customers make friends with us we're usually more motivated to help out.

It gets cool sometimes, i've heard tasmania's climate could be compared to england.
Na, bogans are more like the welfare leeches living in housing commission. I have to fucking walk past that kind of shit every day and they're always screaming at eachother
Tradies are alright.

On topic though, I'm shaking my vallejo paints for a solid 3 minutes and they're still seperated, is this normal?

sorry, just venting the frustrations of working retail i guess.
if there are any texans on here you guys are the politest fuckers on earth. best customers.
to try to get back on topic, what would be the best way to make an entrenchment like this? some kind of foam as a base and then texture paint and bitz?

Because the smug classist bullshit that is increasingly permeating Australian society as we turn into a mini-America must be opposed at every turn.

Australia is the working man's country. Long live the bogans.

It can refer to that, but not exclusively. I'd call welfare leeches bludgers before I called them bogans, though they are both.

You could try working in a paper clip and stirring the bottle, it worked wonders for me on my army painter droppers

Get some slim, tall magnets, drill a hole into the stem and put the magnet in there so that it forms the part that pokes out. Then put another one deep into the hole you stick the stem into.

Though I just put regular bases on my jet bikes and such units, with terrain on them, and used thin metal rods to support the bikes. Two was often the best, as it was supportive and allowed all sorts of poses.

>tfw finding out that old Chainmail isn't current Leadbelcher
Whoops.

>what would be the best way to make an entrenchment like this?
When there is little time for preparation, build a hasty fighting position. It should be behind whatever cover is available. It should give frontal cover from enemy direct fire but allow firing to the front and the oblique. The term hasty does not mean that there is no digging. If there is a natural hole or ditch available, use it. If not, dig a prone shelter that will give some protection. The hole should be about one-half meter (18 to 20 in) deep. Use the dirt from the hole to build cover around the edge of the position.

In the defense, you and another soldier will build a two-man fighting position. Improve your position as time permits. Keep the hole small. The smaller the hole, the less likely it is that rounds, grenades, or airburst fragments will get into it. It should be large enough for you and your buddy in full combat gear. It should extend beyond the edges of the frontal cover enough to let you and your buddy observe and fire to the front. The hole is usually dug straight, but it may be curved around the frontal cover. Curving the hole around the frontal cover may be necessary in close terrain to allow better observation and fire to the front and to the next flank position. To curve the hole, simply extend one or both ends of it around the frontal cover. A curved hole lets one of you watch for the enemy to the front while the other sleeps or eats. Also, you can observe and fire to the front when not being fired at, and move back behind the frontal cover when under heavy fire. On a steep slope, a straight hole may not let you stay behind frontal cover and fire at attackers. You may have to stand up and expose yourself to the attackers' fire. To avoid such exposure, dig firing ports in each end of the hole. The ground between the firing ports will then be additional frontal cover. Dig the hole armpit deep. This lowers your profile and still lets you fire.

>all the script that needs to be painted on an exorcist

I went to my LGS Monday night gaming and some friend of a regular berated me for using an airbrush in painting my models.

Now don't get me wrong I airbrush all the base colours to get em smooth, but then go in with brush and paint the edge highlights, shading, weathering, gems etc

But this lad said it was trainer wheels and a bad habit and was pretty rude about it. He picked up one of my Russ' and gave it the stink eye

>this Paint is too smooth
Thanks! I use an airbrush to get the base down
>that wasnt a compliment, i meant it was too smooth to be brush airbrushing is a bad habit, like brush licking
Well i brush lick too so i guess we're not going to be best friends
>i don't care, it just like painting with training wheels
Ok then!
>what happens if you don't have your airbrush? you're screwed.
Er.. Ok
>just saying
Ok!

Weird as fuck

>brush licking
What? I've never heard of this and Google is only showing me cat brushes

>being elitistic about being "brush only master race"
Some people should be gassed.

Probably licking your brush / putting it in your mouth to get a good tip.

at the end of the day, painting is art and you can do it however you damn well please. it sounds like that guy is just shitty that his way isnt 'the' way.
putting your brush bristles in your mouth to draw them to a tip, probably the quickest way to get a brush to a point, just make sure theres no paint on it.