Redpill me on ultramarines

Redpill me on ultramarines

why so much hate?

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.spacebattles.com/threads/if-the-emperor-watched-the-text-to-speech-device.408752/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Matt ward was told to make an ultra marine codex. At the very end of writing it, he got instructed to turn it into space marines general codex. The fluff was written as an ultra marine wank because it was supposed to be about them.

Continue for years to make them kind of mary sue. Use them as the poster boy for standard flavorless marine instead of the neat kind of roman identity.

There wasn't really anything wrong with them its just year of shit writing.

You're misusing Mary Sue

They've been consistently called the absolute best possible Space Marines for at least a decade or two. This rubs some people the wrong way because it invalidates their favorite chapter or faction. This invalidates others because it's just kind of retard to say "These guys are the best" in a setting designed around making your own dudes.

IT IS BECAUSE I, CATO SICARIUS, IS THE GREATEST WARRIOR AND STRATEGIST EVER BORN AND THAT PEOPLE ARE JEALOUS OF I, CATO SICARIUS, FOR BEING SUCH A SPLENDID MARINE, WORTHY OF HIS HOLY EMPEROR'S GRACE

There was also that shitty Ultramarines movie.

>Be badass space Romans
>Be known as the Greatest of them All for over fifteen years now
>Be the poster boy of 40k since 3rd edition
>Have the most overplayed Mary Sue ever exist in 40k
>Have legion strength
>Have an entire system under our control
>Have an entire Forge World develop specialty armor for us alone
>mfw absolutely nothing we do affects the plot significantly

Get off my throne or I shall do the "Imperial Fisting" upon you!

>why so much hate?

Because people are literally jealous that one fictional army is considered better than their favourite fictional army.

AS MUCH AS MELEE FISTING IS A GLORIOUS AND EFFICIENT WAY TO PUT YOUR ENNEMIES DOWN, I, CATO SICARIUS, WOULD EXPLAIN TO THE CHAPTER MASTER THAT I, CATO SICARIUS, ALWAYS FAVORED THE SWORDS ART WHICH ARE INFINITELY MORE REFINED AND WORTHY OF MY PERSON.

ALSO I, CATO SICARIUS, WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHEN OUR DEAR CHAPTER MASTER WILL RESIGN SO THAT I, CATO SICARIUS, WOULD FINALLY BE ABLE TO MAKE OUR GLORIOUS SPACEMARINES REACH ITS FULL POTENTIAL

Superiority breeds jealousy

Excuse me? But did your vox lag, like a adeptus mechanicus having a strioke, or did you wish for my death?!

OH ! OF COURSE NOT, DEAR CHAPTER MASTER ! I, CATO SICARIUS, WAS ONLY SUGGESTING THAT THE CHAPTER MASTER, SINCE HE IS SO OLD AND TIRED OF BATTLE, WOULD JUST RESIGN HIS CURRENT POSITION TO THE LIKES OF YOUNGER AND BETTER WARRIORS LIKE I, CATO SICARIUS !

NOW IF THE CHAPTER MASTER WILL EXCUSE ME, BUT THE EMPEROR HIMSELF ASKED THAT I, CATO SICARIUS, PUT HIMSELF TO FIND THE PRIMARCH RUSS IN THE WARP

I, CATO SICARIUS, WAS SO EAGER TO DEPART FOR HIS MISSION THAT I, CATO SICARIUS, FORGOT TO PUT HIS PERFECT AND GLORIOUS MAINTING JOINED TO HIS DECLARATION !

Also, for years they were the most popular chapter, and the exemplar marines; despite having no real flavour. The roman stuff is super recent, for years they were just awesome.....because.

Mr. Cato Sicarius sir, are the rumors true? That when you where still a mortal citizen of the emperor you wet your bed until age 6?

>The roman stuff is super recent

W-WHO TOLD YOU THAT ?! I, CATO SICARIUS, WAS SURE THAT I, CATO SICARIUS, HAD TOLD THIS TO ONLY ONE PERSO-

URIEEEEEEL !!

The fandom does it for me, they can get pretty obnoxious.

Then there was the whole thing about the ward codex. It wouldn't have been so bad if they just said that yeah, ultramarines are the best after all, but in a "first among equals" kind of way that still left niches for other chapters to fill. Instead we got the ultramarines being the best at everything ever, the best marine in any role was an ultramarines special character, every chapter that was not a codex-compliant ultra successor was TOTALLY GOING TO DIE SOON and stuff like that. Even the BA codex, by ward, still kept saying how great guilliman and his marines were.

Even then, the codex still had neat stuff like mentioning marine chapters joint operations and didn't skim over the fact that even the ultras needed help sometimes, like with leviathan, and there was damnos that was a sound defeat for the ultras, partially due to their own hubris. Then Damnos part 2 came out, and everything was even worse than before.

Everyone else is just jelly of Guilliman's patrician jaw line

And his rerolling one failed save per phase, damn that armour is reasonable

*ultragroan* For the 3840572629th time Cato, im am NOT retiring until I die! And even if I die, the 1st Company Captaon is the succesor. Even Uriel is abovee you in the succesor line! Remenber to turn OFF the geller fields on your ships when in the warp, it will be better for you

Because they're a symbol of the blandening of other chapters. In the same codex where Ward quoted liberally from Codex Ultramarines all those years ago and they got more spotlight than before, a number of other chapters became blander. Chapter Traits disappeared, to be replaced only by Named Character unlocks, and many other chapters were implied to be much more Codex adherent than they are. That plus Wards cringeworthy writing sealed the deal.

I, CATO SICARIUS, IS NOT PREOCCUPIED BY TRIVIALITIES SUCH AS SUCCESSION LINES ! MERIT IS THE ONLY THING TO CONSIDER, AND MERITOUS I, CATO SICARIUS, IS !

ASLO URIEL IS A FAG !

It's a shitty 1d4chan meme

>Matt ward was told to make a classic space marines general codex in the vein of 2e's Codex Ultramarines, and people who only know 3/4e 40k got mad, just like when Jokaero and Imperial robots returned

Amusingly enough, even Uriel knows he will likely be passed over for the big cap when Calgar kicks off, and it's something that genuinely wounds him.
It's like the Imperial Fist Chapter Master, Putin, that did his duty diligently and wisely, but everyone sucked Lysander's cock.

I have a mission for you then, to bokster your merits. There are rumors that one of Vulcans artifacts is in the botton of Mortarions sceptic tank. Travel to the warp, find Mortarion, jump into the sceptuc tank and find it

I, Roboute Gulliman...
Tell you to shut the hell up.

Brother Cato, please, calm down. Why don't you have a glass of water and go nap a bit. Also, for ultra relaxation, keep your left hand in this bowl of warm water during while you sleep.

Your mind will be clearer after some well deserved rest and you can continue to serve the Emperor as his finest warrior!

>Amusingly enough, even Uriel knows he will likely be passed over for the big cap when Calgar kicks off
I, CATO SICARIUS, KNOW RIGHT ?

>and it's something that genuinely wounds him.
GOOD !

I, CATO SICARIUS, SWEAR TO FIND AND BRING BACK THIS ARTIFACT EVEN IF I, CATO SICARIUS, EVEN IF IT COSTS HIS LIFE !

PRIMARCH ! I, CATO SICARIUS, THOUGHT YOU WERE IN YOUR STASIS CHAMBER? WAITING FOR YOUR WOUNDS TO HEAL ! IS THAT TIME ALREADY UPON US ? OR IS IT A VISION THAT CAME TO CONFIRM THAT I, CATO SICARIUS, IS THE RIGHTFUL HEIR TON THE THRONE OF OUR CHAPTER ?

Ugh...
Captains like you are the reason I paid Fulgrim to stab me and put me in stasis...

>yfw pic related will be the successor to Marneus.

Its like that 24 terra hours a day my liege. And I dint know how but he can pop from wherever he wants to brag about his merits.

Dont leave any "stone" unturned in the sceptic tank Cato...

You are doing a noble duty, my son. Having to put up with this every Terran day must be like sitting through one of Corax's emo poems.

I, CATO SICARIUS, WILL BE SURE TO REMEMBER THIS PIECE OF ADVICE, FELLOW BROTHER. I, CATO SICARIUS, HAS BEEN HAVING TROUBLES TO GET SOME PROPER SLEEP LATELY

OH I, CATO SICARIUS, KNEW IT WAS A HALLUCINATION. THE PRIMARCH WOULD NEVER SAY THAT !

...EVERY STONE IT IS THEN !

I, CATO SICARIUS, DOESN'T EVEN RECOGNIZE THIS PERSON, WHICH MEANS HE'S TRULY NOT WORTHY OF SUCCESSOR AS SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO BELIEVE.

Hai

Or as your father The God-Emperor of Mankind would describe it "Having a cactus fervently stuck up ones ass"

Why didn't they make them gold from the start? Since the roman parallels are all over the place, why did they decide to go with blue color for their armor?

Blue is one of the easiest colors to work with, and gives a lot of contrast to all other colors.
Gold is a damn hard color to get right.

forums.spacebattles.com/threads/if-the-emperor-watched-the-text-to-speech-device.408752/

Oh god why does Papa Smurf look like Gary Busey

>Natural ultramarine pigment made from ground lapis lazuli. This was the most expensive blue pigment during the Renaissance, often reserved for depicting the robes of Angels or the Virgin Mary.

>Redpill me

Okay. The ultramarines are jewish feminists.

I assume that's what you wanted to hear?

FUCK OFF CATO

Is their a lot of hate for them? Theyre a competent and one of the better chapters but why should that make people hate them? I always assumed it was younger more assblasted players who couldn't deal with not being the bestest chapter themselves

Personally, I don't like robote or Russ. Those 2 are cancer

God damn it. I can't even see that image without the Ultramarine back ground music from TTS playing in the back of my head.

Matt Ward, "Spiritual Liege", "they're the best at everything", Papa Smurf is a huge fag

Mat Ward volunteered to write the codex because he'd been a mehreen fan since the original Ultradex, and, among other things - non-Ultramarine things even! - he wanted to address the Ultramarines' negative popular image (hoo boy) as showboats who barely ever actually do anything.

>It wouldn't have been so bad if they just said that yeah, ultramarines are the best after all, but in a "first among equals" kind of way that still left niches for other chapters to fill.

Alright, you asked for it.

>The Raven Guard are masters of the unseen war, engaging in frontal battle only when no other option presents itself.

>Skills of the forge and artisanship are highly favoured on Nocturne, and each Salamander is expected to refine and maintain his own armour and weaponry. This compensates for the Salamanders' relatively low fighting strength and slow recruitment rate, as each battle brother has access to far superior wargear than a Space Marine in another Chapter might.

>The Hawk Lords eschew Drop Pods in favour of Thunderhawk gunships for low-altitude insertion. They are the undisputed masters of such tactics, and it is not unknown for Thunderhawk pilots of other Chapters to hone their skills on temporary service as part of a Hawk Lords' Talon Wing.

>White Scars are the masters of reconnaissance and adherents of the hit-and-run attack. They are hunters and raiders without peer, using ultra-rapid deployment to ensure that the foe's first sight of them is also his last.

>"I mentioned heroic archetypes earlier; well, the galaxy is a big place, and with over a thousand Chapters of Space Marines there's more than enough scope for mighty heroes to emerge from any one of them. Just because you don't play Ultramarines doesn't mean you can't have a Captain as legendary as Cato Sicarius. The archetypes can apply to all of the Codex Chapters."

[too Ultra (or non-Ultra?) for a single post, to be continued]

>every chapter that was not a codex-compliant ultra successor was TOTALLY GOING TO DIE SOON
Everyone who got mad over that sentence should have read it more carefully.

>Even the BA codex, by ward, still kept saying how great guilliman and his marines were.
Robert was mentioned in, like, two places. First to say that out of the surviving Primarchs, he had the greatest lasting effect on the Blood Angels after the Heresy - which is simply pure fact, as this was about him breaking the Legions up into Chapters. Then a second bit which just followed on from the first and emphasised that the Blood Angels were so quick to accept the Codex because, with their Primarch dead and their legionaries descending into fits of madness, they had much bigger problems to worry about than arguing over organisation (not to mention that the Legion was already fracturing anyway, again due to the whole dead Primarch thing).

And as far as comparisons to the Ultramarines went:
>Few Space Marine Chapters are as prolific in their defence of the Imperium as the Blood Angels. Whilst Chapters such as the Ultramarines stand guard over particular systems or sectors, the Blood Angels see the whole Imperium as their responsibility.

Plus one line later that said the Blood Angels don't have as many successors as the Ultramarines or Imperial Fists, due to the Flaw. Otherwise, the timeline mentioned Blood Angels being sent to Ultramar to help the Ultramarines purge leftover Behemoth Tyranids, and the Second War for Armageddon in which even God of War Calgar ceded command to Dante... and that was it.

That's all well and good, but there is literally a paragraph that out and out says the Ultramarines are the best in every way. I don't have it on hand, but it exists.

Isn't it on the outside of the 3rd Edition SM codex?

>user posts word for word text from the books
>this chucklefuck insists that something he may have read, somewhere, says otherwise
Is it so hard to admit your long held Ward hate is actually entirely a meme and fancanon you took from Veeky Forums, right up there with leman russes being tractors?

I'm not even him but you guys are newfags for not knowing this image. It's commonly posted here.

user, people blame the UM shit on Ward's 5e dex.
Most people that play 40k now don't even know about the 2e Codex Ultramarines, or how the 5e SM dex was a homage to it.
See