hey Veeky Forums
i like merfolk
lets post merfolk

also talk about merfolk

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_silk
o0dzaka0o.deviantart.com/art/Skin-Nami-river-spirit-League-of-legends-456808266
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

so ive been thinking about what type of clothes merfolk would wear, and how they would be made. i learned that the aztecs and mayas used natural rubber to make fabrics waterproof:

>The first use of rubber was by the indigenous cultures of Mesoamerica. The earliest archeological evidence of the use of natural latex from the Hevea tree comes the Olmec culture, in which rubber was first used for making balls for the Mesoamerican ballgame. Rubber was later used by the Maya and Aztec cultures - in addition to making balls Aztecs used rubber for other purposes such as making containers and to make textiles waterproof by impregnating them with the latex sap.[6][7]

they even could vulcanize it
>Although vulcanization is a nineteenth-century invention, the history of rubber cured by other means goes back to prehistoric times. The name "Olmec" means "rubber people" in the Aztec language. Ancient Mesoamericans, spanning from ancient Olmecs to Aztecs, extracted latex from Castilla elastica, a type of rubber tree in the area. The juice of a local vine, Ipomoea alba, was then mixed with this latex to create processed rubber as early as 1600 BC.[4] In the Western world, rubber remained a curiosity, although it was used to produce waterproofed products, such as Mackintosh rainwear.[5]

anyway, all you gotta do to vulcanize rubber is add sulfur to the liquid natural rubber. then it is completely immune to microbes and completely water proof.

easy to do

anyway
ima just post stuf fnow

anyone have pics of underwater cities?

heres a gif

ima organize my merfolk folder while i do this. its a mess

thnx user, any specific merfolk you like? i have alot and can post them for you

nami a cute

the creepy one and the hot male one :3

>creepy
i have a abysal fodler and a evil folder. ill post some of those
>hot male
idk what the definition of hot is for men so ill do my best, i have a male merfolk fodler tho.

more evil

thanks user, I appreciate that

creepy

more creepy

spooooooky mermaid

that's a nice one - saved

this one is neat. its like... half jelly fish i guess? idk

and two "special interest" ones

done

is this "hot"?
idk

Doesn't creating rubber from sap require heating it? Although at low temperatures? Come to think of it, maybe an underwater rubber production plant could be constructed around a hydrothermal vent.

I don't think I've ever seen merfolk wearing clothes made from plant fibers. Kelp technically aren't plants, but they have cell walls that are very similar to cellulose. Also, looking things up on Wikipedia, supposedly decomposing kelp releases a lot of sulfides, which would work with the vulcanizing plan above. So merfolk could have a variety of material to make clothes from.

I played a more-or-less mermaid once. She wore tons of jewelry, but she only actually wore a chest wrap when dealing with surfacefolk. She was also average in looks, combined with a creepy personality and a violent temper, because I was trying to avoid making her a waifu.

yah it needs to be heated for a while, but merfolk can do that part of the manufacturing on the surface like humans do.

living kelp is actually a half decent plan. they dont need to bee rooted to the ground to live im pretty sure, since they get food from the water. symbiotic relationship.

also shells and stuff obviously. there is also a type of silk that clams make that can be woven into water proof thread.

Is OC appropriate?

yah

the new zelda game supposedly is going to have lots of redesigned zoras

heres a close up of the new zora

>Muh fish stick

never seen that b4, thnx for posting user

i like this one for some reason

Kelp get carbon dioxide and various nutrients from the water, but they get energy from sunlight just like plants. Also, depending on how insulating a merperson's skin is, their body might be warm enough to inhibit kelp's growth. Not that that matters, because I was thinking of processing kelp into fiber like people do with hemp and cotton. Kelp-derived cloth could even be bleached and then dyed. Clothes would have to be things that are tight and/or cinch close to the body though, to minimize drag.

Wasn't there a comic book where merfolk carved coral into synthetic exoskeletons and grafted those onto themselves?

Also, what steps would a person from the surface take to visit a mer-city for an extended duration? There's concerns about getting air or finding a way to breathe water, of course, but also human skin gets waterlogged, plus merfolk might be living comfortably in water that would give a human hypothermia, and floating towards the ceiling of any indoor location could be a potential embarrassment.

>That ear

oh god, no weeboo stuff for me

those are saved too, thanks

>legs and tail

disgusting

>Kelp get carbon dioxide and various nutrients from the water, but they get energy from sunlight just like plants. Also, depending on how insulating a merperson's skin is, their body might be warm enough to inhibit kelp's growth. Not that that matters, because I was thinking of processing kelp into fiber like people do with hemp and cotton. Kelp-derived cloth could even be bleached and then dyed. Clothes would have to be things that are tight and/or cinch close to the body though, to minimize drag.
if kelp products dont degrade super fast then that seems like a good idea. i was thinking that some merfolk use small shells and turn them into like... scale shirts/pants

>what steps would a person from the surface take to visit a mer-city for an extended duration? There's concerns about getting air or finding a way to breathe water, of course, but also human skin gets waterlogged, plus merfolk might be living comfortably in water that would give a human hypothermia

hmmm idk, there could be human hotels with air pocket rooms where they stay and sleep and rest. magic water breathing potions and items, i guess would also prevent water logging.

other than that, diving suits and snorkels?

Honestly, I'd give a bolt of kelp-derived cloth, worn underwater, a couple of months before it degrades, unless the merfolk find something with which to treat either the cloth or the strands that get woven into it. So maybe there's a massive kelp industry to support mer-modesty, or maybe kelp outfits are a sign of wealth.

Your scale outfits would need some kind of string or something to hold them together. Kelp would be one option for that string, but we're both unsure it would last very long.

Would it be possible to make leather underwater? Without forcing the merfolk making it to swim through a haze of filth and dangerous chemicals?

One of her sisters did that to her. Because she took pity on a human during a war.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_silk
merfolk farm clams for silk, food, and pearls

maybe through hundreds of years of husbandry, the clams have changed to produce a lot of that silk, like how modern sheep produce a stupid amount of wool.

NO COUNTERFEITS

christ those tits

buoyancy.

>buoyancy.

Close enough

I like the ones based on weird deep sea fish. Mostly because I like weird deep sea fish, and the glow in the dark effect is cool.

Bump

holy shit! ist that real? or is it part of a movie?

DM ruined them for me, can no longer trust one or be near one at all.

what happened?
story time!?

Let's hear it user.

God I fucking hate pinterest. This image is clearly from deviantart, but when I reverse-search it, all I get are pinterest results. I swear to god pinterest is the worst designed image-sharing website I have ever seen.

use site:deviantart.com to filter the shit out.

o0dzaka0o.deviantart.com/art/Skin-Nami-river-spirit-League-of-legends-456808266

bump

Dude. Filename, it says "by o0dzaka0o" so you just google that and then plug "nami" into the search by their gallery.

although adding -site:pinterest.com to remove that pieceashit is a good idea for general searches too.

Am I right in thinking that the main constraint to life at depth is pressure, not temperature? Or do species have to make weird adaptations to deal with super-cold?

Temperature remains pretty constant 4°C over most of the water column, as that is the temperature water is densest at. That's pretty cool but not nearly as big of an issue as the pressure gets when you go deeper because pressure increases at a constant rate.

Turns out I have a small merfolk folder. Gonna post what little it has that hasn't already been posted.

Starting with my favorite.

>although adding -site:pinterest.com to remove that pieceashit is a good idea for general searches too.

Fuck Pintrest and thank you for that idea.

I love mermaids. And river spirits and sirens and selkies. Anything like that. Wish I had more pictures, but I will post what I have, some aren't exactly merfolk but associated with water anyway. I like to imagine my taste is impeccable.