Homebrewed magical items

Tell me about homebrewed magical items that you have made or encountered in a campaign.
Here's mine:
>Gauntlet of Obliteration
>Long ago, a group of wizards had the perverse ambition to artifice magic for their degenerate underlings to possess.This volatile artifact is the horrible outcome from a failed attempt to replicate the "Mage Hand" spell.
>The gauntlet can generate infinite amounts of wild, destructive force.
>The wielder of this gauntlet may tap into its immense might by making a standard melee attack.
>If the attack hits, the player may choose any damage dice they want, be it a 1d10 or 3d10000.
>However, the extreme impact of the gauntlet is uncontrollable. The player must roll the chosen damage dice twice. Once for the opponent, and once for themselves.

How would this item work in a campaign? What would you add or change to it as an improvement?

Use magical compulsion or blackmail to force some poor schmuck to punch every problem they encounter

>How would this item work in a campaign?
Summoners and people with charm powers would be very very effective.

>Keys of reconnecting
>As long as both keys are inserted into locks in the same realm, the doors are connected by a portal.

Invented as a cheap, off-hand way to fast travel, used to break into the king's vault. Oops.

that's a really cool item.
>yoink!

A wizard cap that allows the user to cast spells from the 1st level wizard list at the cost of a point of exhaustion per spell, concentration spells cost 1 point per round. Made for an interesting game

>codpiece of vicious mockery

I like your item idea and i'm stealing it.
here's some of my favorite novelty items.

>The murder stone
A black obsidian rock the size of a fist with the Dwarven word for "murder" inscribed on its face. There is no way of telling what the stone does without activating its power.
When the stone is activated a small crow appears

It sounds simple but I once got a great rise out of my players by showing them a sealed envelope when they found the stone. I told them they couldn't open it unless they activated the stones power, for two sessions I made sure the envelope was in full view at all times to tempt them. Eventually they decided to use the stone during a boss fight, they felt cheated until they opened the envelope that read "a group of crows is called a murder"

>The frying carpet
A fine, hand knotted rug made from red and gold fibers, when the rug is unfurled and left on the ground it will heat up like a stove top.
These carpets are a common sight in markets and are usually sold to adventuring parties by over zealous merchants that pitch them like an infomercial.

I had a group that used it as a handy torture device once.

>The martyrs crown
A heavy bronze crown cast to look like bramble thorns. While wearing the crown a player may take an action to transfer any damage suffered by a party member or NPC within viewing distance and transfer it to themselves.

>The midnight ring.
An unassuming brass ring with a crude half moon symbol etched on its inside. Putting on the ring makes the wearer invisible for 1 minute but leaves them blind for 24 hours after the invisibility wears off.

these are awesome.

>>Gauntlet of Obliteration
>Reference to Dr Bloodmoney

Noice.

>A magitech rifle that could enchant bullets with fire/ice/lightning/tracking/multiplcation/etc. with a selector.

Kind of finicky as it was a prototype that combined traits of previous prototypes

>Dark Excalibur
A sword that got stronger each time it came into contact with blood, requiring a bit more each time. An ally's blood is five times as potent when it comes to becoming more powerful. Eventually would create armor of equal strength for the user. Fumbling an attack roll caused damage to self.

The big thing is that it had NO UPPER LIMIT. It could get stronger and stronger indefinitely.

Why the DM gave this weapon to me still makes me confused.

Did the crow have any use(s) at all or was it just to fuck with your players?

Well, worst comes to worst, you could use it as a messenger.

>Strength of the Pack
These two bracers are made of various scraps of wolf hides, stitched together. Granted a -2 to AC (AD&D 2e), a +1 to the wearer's strength, and they could understand wolves and dogs fluently, and they could understand the wearer as well.

>Cup of the Carpenter
This small wooden cup, roughly half the size of an average mug, holds a lethal grudge. If the Cup’s keeper and his allies have no secrets or mistrust with one another, the Cup makes any liquid in it ice cold and removes impurities, and can also turn any liquid in it into fine wine at will (obvious reference is obvious). But if the party harbors mistrust for one another or keep severe secrets from one another, any drink from the Cup will be turned into a poison of random strength.

And my personal favorite:
>The Rumpelstick
A thick wooden stick, perfectly cylindrical, about two and a half feet long and three inches in diameter, with Celtic scroll all along the outside. When the command word is spoken, two things happen: one, a cost is exacted from the user, such as their feet melding to the floor for a duration, becoming an infant for a round, aging a year, or causing vivid hallucinations for the rest of the day (to name a few). And second, a random magical effect, similar to a wild magic surge, affects someone in the area. This could be something as mundane as "the wielder's colors are inverted", or "the wielder can read his target's exact thoughts for the remainder of the day", or "the ground around the target becomes slippery like ice", but can also be greatly powerful, such as "the party blinks 1d10 years through time", or "a shooting star falls from the sky and smashes into a random person, dealing 5d10 damage and granting them a wish (should they survive)". Before anybody says it, yes, I took inspiration from the Wabbajack, but at this point, the lore I've built around this thing has made it extremely plot crucial. Plus it makes things REALLY fun. Hard to plan against total chaos.

I have a fetish for useless homebrew items that the players either love despite their uselessness or find a ridiculous way to exploit.

I actually really like that, probably stolen.

In return,
>Dragonbreath [Gun]
Using an attached reservoir, the firearm is able to produce its own ammunition as it is fired. The weapon deals an additional +2 damage and all damage from the weapon is considered Fire.

On the surface, it's a nice little bonus, but the inability to load traditional ammunition into the gun makes it a liability when dealing with creatures that has Resistance to Fire.

Actually had something like that once. A semi-cursed item that related to the dual gods of LG God of Submission and Order and the CE God of Freedom and Chaos.

>The Hand of Habasah / The Helm of Harayah.
Appears to be a simple unadorned Spiked Gauntlet and grants its wearer Smite Evil 1/day, as well Detect Evil at will which is far more likely to detect traces amounts of evil in a heart than the true ability. In addition, whenever the wearer would be dropped to or past 0 HP, he gains the benefit of the Diehard feat as well as a +4 enhancement bonus to Strength and Constitution. However, he loses the ability to concentrate on anything but fighting and targets the nearest available target. This lasts for a number of rounds equal to his Constitution modifier, at the end of which the wearer falls unconscious and loses the enhancement bonus.

In addition, the gauntlet grows while the wearer is unconscious, moving from gauntlet to that arm and shoulder to the chest to the other arm to the legs and finally to the head. Each time the gauntlet grows, the Detect and Smite Evil begin to warp and shift as they begin to misread Good as Evil, until the abilities finally fully change to Detect Good and Smite Good. Likewise, it would gain additional features as it expanded, from a chance to ignore Critical hits when it covered the chest to increased mobility for the legs.

>whichblade
An ornate hilt with crossguard with scabbard.
When a character draws the hilt away, roll 1d100 and consult the Table of Edged Implements. The result is attached to the hilt.

>the lore I've built around this thing has made it extremely plot crucial
Go on.

lockpicks of reappearing
whenever you search for them, you find them somewhere on your body, even if you're stripped naked in a cell

tom's peeper
a small loupe like device with an adjustable wheel. when you first look into it so can you see people naked through it, but it's terribly blurry, fiddling with the wheel starts making it clearer, but before it becomes completely clear so does it cause a small hidden blade to pop out, stabbing the user in the eye

blooddrinker axe.
magic axe that, after extended use, grows in strength. it is however connected to a demon, who also grows in power along with the axe, and tries repeatedly to posses the host. if the demon is slain or the axe "cleansed" it instead turns into a non magical low quality axe

spelltrap.
a beartrap that can absorb up to one spell each day, when the trap is triggered so will the spell be cast, as the trap as its central location, if the spell is not used up within the day so will it be lost and you'll need to re-cast it

I had an amulet that one of my players put on be cursed, every time he did something chaotic stupid he would turn further into a dragon and if he turned fully he would basically be counted as dead. The best part is while most would find this as a good thing he was really pissed about it and bitched the entire time.

Grailblade
A brown rusty copper sword, only one in the entire setting, always found in the first dungeon of my campaigns.

The only clue (other someone knowing goddamn anything about copper, or somehow getting a loose Last Crusade reference off of just one word) is usually later in the campaign, notes wedged between paragraphs in some plot-related planar tome describing it (and its highly desirable powers) a little. One of my players realized that the ancient sword is being placed repeatedly as some strange connection out of time or world, but hasn't located it. Basically the item's effect is actually about the hunt for it now, because they do know most of what it can do. It's just a sidequest so they're never bent out of shape about it, but the expeditions have been rewarding in and of themselves. I kinda wish I had helped them discover it the first time because it could really become plot-relevant or a source of villain mashup, but this is honestly more interesting than its abilities.

It will grow in power with the holder at appropriate stages. Bonuses against evil or arcane magic-weilding enemies, eventually a highly desirable amount of safety from spells from those sources (growing from readied-action counterspell to immediate-action redirection x/day), immediate action ally saves, etc. Any time after it reaches 5th stage, it can be broken by the user in the presence of Great Evil to immediately banish it to another world forever - a rift opens showing a rushing landscape, the evil thing is sucked in and falls somewhere, then the two halves of the sword go in, re-form and drop out of sight. Rift closes. No save. "Great Evil" would just be the most evil thing in the room, technically, but it's not like you'd bust it for a bar fight or something.

nice.

>Ring of Memory
Upon activation, the wearer may choose a memory of strong significance personal importance. The memory is absorbed by the ring, and immediately forgotten. The wearer may choose any type of roll; the next roll of that type will have advantage.
If the memory is not significant enough (DM's discretion), the ring will not activate.

if the wearer activates the ring more than three times per long rest, they must succeed on a DC15 Intelligence saving throw or take 4d8 psychic damage.

Is that your character?

The Claw
>A single left-handed gauntlet made of mithril (alloy of steel and silver protected by a special thaum oil, making it greasy to the touch, weaker than steel), deep red in color with gold trim and black veins
>Has a somewhat flexible tube inside of it which ends in a blade, used to penetrate the arm and pump blood into the claw
>flexing the claw with blood pumping causes the blood to flow to an ebony (black crystal that reacts with blood to boil it) sphincter at the end of the tube, superheating the blood and violently spraying it forward at extreme temperatures
>Easily melts armor and kills opponents
>Causes severe internal damage to the user, often kills or severy maims them on usage
>Discovered in a tomb beneath Kalad-ra, unlikely to be of mundane creation

The Scar of Morunoch
>Red mithril bastard sword, boiled in reuma thaum and infused with ebony
>Forged by Izhin as a token of peace between two alchemist-pirate groups, the blade's owner took the blade and rejected the alliance
>Ethrin in color (uneven mixture of red, purple, and black caused by blood stains), realistic blade shape and proportions (not a fan of fantasy designs, this is just a recolored real sword)
>Because mithril contains silver, this blade kills vampires, although that becomes redundant as the heat from ebony is disastrous for them as well
>Burns organs when it cuts through them
>The thaum oil makes it extremely hydrophobic and blood slides right off of it, although the boiled blood has stained it to its current color

Mh'rasulahnubek
>Elaborate stone statue of a lion-like beast
>Instills fear in the fearless who look upon it, but has no effect on the weak
>Spending a long time near it gives you a supernatural sense of danger, hearing a low growling or grinding when something bad is about to happen
>Thrown into the Bay of Keralon after it drove its owner insane before a siege

>Heartache

The weapon for the wicked, it had two forms. One was a child, innocent and pure. He would unquestionably love and trust he user like they were his parent. He can feel pain, and heals at normal human rate.

The second form took shape of the user's desired weapon.
In this form, even the shallowest cut on an enemy would deal as much damage as has been inflicted upon the child form. No saves.

>Gotcha! HEARTACHE was caught!

>The big thing is that it had NO UPPER LIMIT. It could get stronger and stronger indefinitely
>Fumbling an attack roll caused damage to self.

Well here's your downside. It'll eventually get strong enough to absolutely destroy you on a bad roll.

Well, it was created by various gods in tandem to create a weapon that defined Chaos. The realm this setting is in is really secluded from all the other planes, and so when they had invaders from the Plane of Law (forget the exact name atm), they had no idea how to handle it. The people prayed to gods of good and evil, light and dark, life and death alike, hoping that a miracle would come. The gods decided to set aside their squabbles to silence the mortals and their complaints, and got together to build them a weapon. Thus, the Rumpelstick was born.

But the God of Balance decided this wasn't okay. There was a weapon of complete Chaos in the realm, but what of the one of ultimate Law, or Good, or Evil? Furthermore, wasn't it imbalanced to give divine weapons to one realm, but not the others?

He sacrificed a great amount of his power to make it a universal constant; any realm in all the wilds of the multiverse has a weapon of Law, Chaos, Good, and Evil, identical to the ones he made in this realm. Balance had to be kept. One of the characters happened upon the Rumpelstick, and he thinks he's been chosen by the gods. The more he looks into it, the more he thinks that the gods sent down this weapon to him to do good with. And the more he uses it, word keeps spreading of the adventurers with the divine stick of fuckery, and how anybody who had that weapon would become powerful.

It's spreading their reputation greatly. But now a certain BBEG, enthralled by its power, with nothing but time to research the legends tied to it, has been stockpiling them from the other realms.

Gave one player a Not!Lifehunt-Scythe from Dark Souls once in 5e game.

D10 damage die, 10 ft. reach, twohanded, inflicts a stacking bleed effect on the target that damages it for 2d6 at the start of its turn and the wielder for 1d6 at the start of his next turn. A DC 15 Con-Save at the end of the turn removes all stacks.

Fucking ow, dude.

I wanted to give my players some unique magical stuff, even though they were lvl. 1, so I made this, which they got of a teenaged sorcerer they brutally murdered while ignoring GM-hints that he was just a misguided boy in bad company.

>5 Magical Fluffs

These small fluffy balls of dense wool er enchanted.
While normally the size of a marble, if thrown at any surface, they immdiately puff up to become large 6x6x6 feet pillows of soft wool.

The pillows dissolve after 5 minutes, but make for a fun bouncy cushion or soft landing until then.

Damage taken from falls is negated on a succesful dex save, if a creature lands on the pillow, and halved even if it fails.

The fluffballs weigh the same when puffed up, as they do when small, they are highly flammable, and can only be used once, although they can be used by multiple characters within their duration.

>Give the child a very powerful, but painless poison that puts them in a catatonic state temporarily
>You now have a sword of nap time

Is it just the amount of damage or does it mimic the type of damage too? Like if I drop kick the child does the weapon cause a knock down?

Yep. Cuts, bruises, burns, disease, broken bones, the whole shebang.

In a recent one-shot campaign I made for a friend of a friend, I included a sword like the Flame Tongue in the DMG, but without the command word to shut it off. As long as the sword was unsheathed, it would light on fire, including the handle and guard. Unless the players had proper protection, it would damage them when they wielded it.
I also hid a solution to this in a separate, distant room. In an alchemist's laboratory far away from the sword, there was a pair of oven mitts sitting on a shelf. The players actually found them first, and the rogue decided to keep them for shits.
It took them a solid few moment to figure out what to do with the sword, but once they did, it turned into a hilarious argument between the fighter and the rogue, who had the sword and the mitts respectively. It was amazing.

This, but in crossbow form. And I didn't tell my players exactly what it did until they shot it.

A wooden club that increases its wielder's rate of hair growth, as long as the wielder is an adult male.

Var det du som drack upp mjölken och lade tillbaka förpackningen i kylen? // Grodan Boll