MTG EDH/Commander General

Surprisingly Dickish Commanders Edition

Last Thread RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

Thread Topic:
>What is your favorite colour and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kamiunism-1/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/cellular-modular-interactivodular/
edhrec.com/commanders/solkanar-the-swamp-king
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for big guy commanders

I want to play the deck that will instantly mark me with total hatred from the entire table.

Second for Boros needs some love too.

Forgot pic

Tryhard Derevi stasis. They'll hate you and they won't even be able to do anything about it.

How is she dickish if she just draws cards?

Thread topic: Green, my first deck ever was a Green ramp intro deck, I love big creatures with massive mana costs and trample, and this big boy is my favourite Commander and has great Lore, his whole deck is evolution and tangle themed.

I'm not sure and I assume OP has a good explanation. I'm assuming it's a bit like Sygg where the commander looks fairly non-threatening but allows one to milk so much value out of regular game actions it ends up taking over a game with mediocre players not even realizing what's going on until it's too late.

Sigarda's Aid is the most Boros-friendly card WotC has printed in a while

been planning on remaking my first edh deck solknar the swamp king, any recommendations for fun tech?

>playing some commander
>one guy on neku
>another on mono black
>dont even remember what the 4th guy was playing because they were irrelevant
>neku making everyone dicard their hands and time spirals all the graveyards back into the deck and still has a magus of the wheel on the board
>mono black guy has a liliana vess on the field and decide to taget that because she was on 6 loyalty and all these creatures that will soon be in the graveyard from the neku discard
>he shits himself in rage at me because I didn't swing for 8 damage at the neku player yelling at me how he was the bigger threat
>tell him that i don't want lili to ult because I knew there was going to be more mass discard
>he says "hurr time spiral theres no graveyard i can tutor up stuff to help" as the neku player is going off his chops making everyone discard their hand 3 times into Liliana's Caress
>he then says "oh look what's happening" like my 8 damage instead into the nekus 38 health lifepool was going to destroy a bunch of neku's enchants
>"i could have tutored up something" the mono black player tells me as everyone on the board dies before he had a turn to even do ANYTHING with a Liliana Vess let alone survive another turn after that to draw the tutored card off Liliana Vess

I love these stupid people

Any anons have experience with stax type decks? I put this together but I'm not sure about how viable it is.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kamiunism-1/

Only if you're playing some kind of voltron deck with a high density of auras and equipments. And those are bad even by Boros standards.

In order:

Green: I'm a Timmy at heart. I love big creatures, stomping through with Commander damage, turning guys sideways. It's fun. There's are reason my mono-green Molimo deck is my most consistent.

Red: Goblins are my favorite of the major tribes and there's nothing like the feeling of burning someone to ashes. I like that it's fairlyb straightforward like Green, with some more chances for clever tricks or random amazing plays.

Blue: Sometimes Blue is too smart for me. I love all the answers it offers and the ability to have all of those answers at once, but I get paralyzed by possibility. Still, it's the color that most makes me feel like a Wizard.

Black: I get that Black wins whatever the cost, but I often just don't like how playing Black feels. It's too cruel, I suppose, too harsh in every action and response.

White: I know it's more than just Angels, weenies, and lifegain, but it's boring.

Blue, I really enjoy countermagic and the mindgames of playing around other people's counterspells

>SFM, Jitte + Swords + Batterskull, Stonehewer Giant, Sunforger
>bad

Thread topic: black. Putting aside the edgy memes I always enjoyed villain characters and the "power for a price" paradigm. Bob's flavor text says it best. My very first deck was basically 20 doom blades and vampire nighthawk as my win con

Follow up color is blue following the line of thought that it's fun to be a dick.

The cards you listed are good. A voltron deck with a high density of auras and equipments is bad. Like, how many fucking equipments do you need to put on the board to win a game? I rarely see a use for more than 2. Why are SFM and Stonehewer good? Because they get you those equipments.

What does Sigarda's Aid do? Let me cast those for free if I plop down Sigarda's Aid first, and if I have those equipments in my hand? That's really fucking underwhelming. How many equipments do you need to run in your deck to make Sigarda's Aid worth running? How many equipments will you play that benefit from that card over the course of a typical EDH game?

Sigarda's Aid is a card that -maybe- does something and that's just not good enough in EDH.

>let me cast those for free
Equip those for free. In my defense, I'm drunk.

Sunforger and Skullclamp are Boros essentials. If you run Jor Kadeen and Puresteel Paladin, piling on even more equipment is certainly not bad.
It also allows you to cast them with instant speed, at any time you could cast an instant.
>opponent's creature is attacking
>cast skullclamp for 1 and chump block to draw 2
I agree that being reliant on what cards you have in your hand is a weakness, but it's still pretty solid. Another fun equipment to flash into play is Worldslayer.

11 equips has been enough for me, auras aren't reliable enough

You are also neglecting to mention they can be played/equipped at instant speed.

It's also ONE mana

How is a 1 drop that allows you to assemble you all the equips and auras you need on your commander more easily bad? I'm voltron player, so I'm probably bias to it's effectiveness. But I cannot wrap my head around how it's a terrible card.

>being reliant on what cards you have in your hand is a weakness
That's what recruiter of the guard and it's impossibly overpriced, older cousin are for.

I'd argue that 11 is too much but if it works in your list, then good for you. I just can't ever find that much room for equipments in my Boros builds.
>It's also ONE mana
It's also not a card, on its own. It's a mulligan. It might lead to some "gotcha" moment where you blank someone's removal spell or blow them out in combat by equipping something at instant speed but I find that Boros can hardly afford to run cards like that. I'd rather run more threats or more interaction most of the time.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/cellular-modular-interactivodular/

What do you think, boys? Arcbound subtheme tries to use both generals effectively.

I want to make proxies of all the resserved list cards that have new(er) art in MTGO.
I know the ancient secrets of photoshop so I can make them myself, I just need to know if there's a site where decent resolution art can be found and if there is a non-chinaman company that may do it for me?

What it does is good, but it costs you a card. Card advantage is the area where Boros is weakest. That's why I don't think Sigarda's Aid is all that good. But I can't fault people for running it, I run Reconnaissance as a 1-mana enchantment that doesn't do all that much just because I like having the last word on whatever happens in combat. It's definitely not a better card than Sigarda's Aid, it just suffers from exactly the same problem. Being effectively -1 cards for you in the game.

user, it turns those equipment/auras INTO interactive spells

Godo & Sun Titan greatly appreciate it's synergy

How are you supposed to run defensive countermagic?

If I have a commander-centric deck and my commander costs 4 CMC, am I just supposed to durdle until turn 5-7 when I can cast my commander and a counterspell?

>What is your favorite color and why?

Black, literally all but 1 of my edh decks features black, 2 golgari, breya, and BUG. The other is Simic. As to why I like black I like having access to the most direct targeted kill cards.

4 cmc overall or as in they are 3/4 colors with cmc 4? Sounds like you need to sort out your lands and mana rocks, any good hand can get out a 5 cmc dual color on turn 2 with proper land and rocks

Depends on the opponents and the board. I run a very interactive Ephara list and tapping out to cast her early in the game is scary as fuck. Sometimes you can afford to it, because you know you're not going to lose before you untap, but other times it's going to be better to wait until you can cast your commander and keep counterspell backup.

Having Force of Will and random shit like Commandeer in your deck can help a lot as it lets you represent counter magic even when you tap out.

>Sounds like you need to sort out your lands and mana rocks, any good hand can get out a 5 cmc dual color on turn 2 with proper land and rocks
I'm thinking of moving to Christmas Magicland too, how's the weather there this time of year?

free/cheap counterspells are better at defending your own threat than stopping an opponent's. Swan song, force of will, and foil are great at protecting yourself

Don't be a wise ass user. Its not my fault people don't run decent rocks

>any good hand can cast a 5-drop on turn 2
RE: Photos from my trip to Christmas Magicland

Probably the best counterspell in EDH is Boots and Greaves.
As long as you can keep your commander on the board for the equip to resolve, that solves a fairly large number of problems.

You're cute.

So I was looking through some old cards because I was cleaning and found some copies of pic related.

I want to build Marrow-Gnawer tribal rats, but after thinking about it; this card is actually pretty cash.

If you're paying anything with lots of sac effects, and Grave Pact effects, this card can generate tons of deathtouch value.

Post other obscure cards you didn't realize were good

It's Grixis Marchesa, so I can't easily cheat the mana cost with artifact ramp. I already run all the signets and talismans.

I've tried that, but my playgroup is wising up and saves removal whenever they see hexproof equipment on the board.

>I'll just be a faggot because I got proven wrong

Good now we can move on

Maybe he only plays UG

It looks bad at first but I've been playing with it a lot and I think it's a lot better than most people would think. Plus it's super cheap.

Even in UGx, casting a 5-drop on turn 2 is a really fucking great hand, not just "any good hand".

Well I guess the problem is to stop playing against blue players

Literally any colors can turn 2 drop 5 cmc commanders

I dunno man I saw some guy go t1 land, crypt, sol ring.

No one's arguing that they can't. We're mocking the concept that "any good hand" can. Because that's fucking Christmas Magicland.
And I've cast Maelstrom Wanderer on turn 2. That doesn't mean it's likely to happen or even a thing you should expect from "any good hand".

What is the "stax" playstyle/deck? I keep hearing about it, but i dont have a group of people to play edh with so most of my knowledge is from wonky 2hg with my brother.

You must think 5 lands and darksteel ingot + sol ring is a christmas hand with your dumbass logic

That doesn't cast a 5-drop on turn 2 you absolute genius. Also, any hand with Crypt, Vault or Sol Ring along with 2+ lands is immediately a way-above-average hand.

Stax is just a shorthand for resource denial strategies. They come in many different shapes and sizes ranging from hatebears like Gaddock Teeg, to permanent sacrifice/tap like smokestack(the card stax is named after) or tanglewire. MLD is a frequent theme of the archetype.

Then enlighten me, master faggot, since you know so much aboit christmas that you might as well be sucking santa's cock

Stax is any combination of not getting to attack/not getting to play spells/not getting to do anything.
White is very good at it, blue is pretty good, with most of the dedicated commanders being WU. The other colors can work in it, but WU is the big one.

If anyone runs Propaganda/Moat/Grand Arbiter Augustin IV, they are running a Stax deck.

This user is also correct.

Enlighten you about what exactly?

Why not run Tezzeret agent of bolas?

My dick

I could enlighten that but the light in question is hidden very deep in my anal cavity, see if you can reach it so that we may, together, shed some light on your dick

Arcbound Ravager

Please, anyone, I just want my friends to hate me ;_;

Awesome, thanks guys. It sounds like one of those decks thats super fun in theory until everyone hates you.

Eww

I'm telling Mike Pence

Black is also quite good at stax, the whole sacrifice part of stax strategies generally only happens in black.

We talk about Daretti stax and Derevi stasis earlier as two prime examples of cancer decks. You could look into those to get some ideas.

Teferi stasis is also pretty fucking annoying.

I've been fapping to pictures of Pence while shocking my balls with electricity, I'm ready for him.

Fair enough. I don't tend to consider sacrifice as a direct part of Stax because it tends to be an entirely different archetype, though I suppose it makes perfect sense once you think about it.

Well, smokestack is the stereotypical stax card, and that's based around sacrifixe. Not to mention Braids.

If everyone's cool with it, stax is a great addition to your meta

Because he sucks.

That's 40 dollarydoos

This. Stax keeps metas in check, ensures people can't just play "ramp to 7-drops" all day. A meta without stax is incomplete, just like a meta without aggro+MLD.

I was wamting to do that with the ug elf from kaladesh but wasnt sure if that would work.

>agent of bolas sucks

How do you even know until you played it?

Like it's not like boros has shit ton of 1 drops, it's not a dead draw and it still has it's use early and late game. To me, It's a good card.

>Favorite color and why
Black. I like Drawing a bunch of cards, and I like the trade offs that black provides. Life becoming a new Resource to be used like mana is very fun to me.
It also lets me quickly shut down the board, with stuff like Drown In Sorrow, Languish, Damnation etc.
I'm actually building my first monoblack deck because I realized how much I liked it in Legacy and Alesha Reanimator, as well as supporting me in Saskia with card draw and bitterblossom.

Hey, /edhg/, how much draw would you say is enough in a deck? Like, for example, in a black deck, would necropotence, phyrexian arena, sign in blood, and night's whisper be enough?

Card draw is one of the most powerful mechanics in EDH. It's hard to strike the careful balance between not enough and too much, but I'd say that you're probably leaning towards the former, especially if you don't have tutors.

The only way to answer that question is for you to playtest your deck because it depends on way too many factors.

Favorite color: red. I'm all about fury and passion and hitting shit quickly and fire and motherfucking dragons. I can't be bothered to plan things when wumping somebody upside the head until they're dead usually works. This makes life in Commander tough at times, but Green is a great color to pair it with, as evidenced by my signature Commander, Based Xenagod.

It's obvious, but Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth. Slap some decent Auras/Enchantments on Sol'Kanar, swing unimpeded, win game. There's probably something craftier you can do with him, considering the colors, but I'm a Timmy. I usually look for ways to smash heads with big creatures.

Red.
-Makes my creatures have haste
-Pumps my creatures to deal more damage
-Has spells that deal direct damage to things
-Has a lot of spells that are similar to blue spells, only their effect and/or scope are "worse" (not inheritly a benefit, but it is interesting to see)
-Typically plays faster than other colors
-Works well with every other color (for what I like to play, anyway)
-Can play non-aggro in atypical ways

>>What is your favorite colour and why?

really hard choice between blue and green. probably blue by a small margin

I run 12 tutor effects and 6 draw effects (7 if you count Scroll Rack) in my Boros deck. The one I most heavily rely on is Skullclamp, obviously.

You're probably going to need more.
Also consider just tutors. Whether they be Diabolic, Demonic, Diabolic Revelation, or Liliana Vess. You need ways to get the cards you NEED into your hand as well as just drawing.
An overlooked card you should consider is Insidious Dreams. It's pretty cheap, and it's an instant so you can decide pretty safely when to fire it off, and hoo boy is it tasty.

yea that was somewhat of a given, given how the first time i made it, all the deck was is a terrible pile of left over stuff, im up for any gimmick. only new idea i had was to run far more pay life spells and well of lost dreams

Could you list the draw effects? I'm finding it hard to find good draw in Boros, I quickly end up scraping the bottom of the barrel with shit like Staff of Nin or Inheritance.

In the situation of playing a midrange speed deck that doesn't need its combo to win which would be the better choice to run?

Has anyone had experience playing Marchesa using fabricate creatures?
Is it any good?

Deck idea, breya: robots driving vehicles.

Deck idea yidris deck

How do i build these?

This is my first time seeing Ghirapur Orrerry because I'm not keeping up with spoilers so this might be a hasty judgment but

what the fuck dude

It's not even close. Sylvan Library all the way. Ghirapur Orrery sounds pretty fucking bad.

Mentor of the Meek
Puresteel Paladin
Solemn Simulacrum
Skullclamp
Sword of Fire & Ice
Nahiri, the Harbinger
and I guess Scroll Rack

I also run a batch of token generation and recursion to bring back these parts if some get milled/killed

I find it surprising that there's so few Sol'Kanar decks out there to look at. I get that Grixis is stacked with great Commanders, but I'd expect TappedOut would have SOMETHING.

There aren't that many that actually do anything, and in Marchesa you only get access to one of the colors that actually gets fabricate, so don't. It's not worth it, it's not in any of your colors except black (Which has the worst fabricate creatures), it's a low impact keyword, and Marchesa already gives them counters, making their ability much less useful.

Thanks for the list. Mostly solid stuff. Though skullclamp is head and shoulders above the rest. Have you tried the new Chandra? She's a bit outside of my budget but she looks like a pretty decent pseudo-draw engine.

This is just an educated guess, but all the best Fabricate tech seems to be in Selesnya, so I'd expect the ones you can play with Marchesa aren't all that good unless you have ways to sac the ones you can use repeatedly for an advantage.

EDHrec has decks you can check out
>edhrec.com/commanders/solkanar-the-swamp-king
Also lists good cards, like Blanket of Night.

I've mulled her over in my head. At the end of the day, I'd rather not exile cards from my library as a decent chunk of my deck is made to pull things outta the GY

How do I make a Mishra deck that isn't just a netdeck?

Sol'Kanar seems like an interesting deck to build. Maybe I will someday. I like janky builds. He seems like he'd be fun with Fists of the Demigod and Helm of the Ghastlord.