True scale

Are the proportions from official 40k text actually realistic in their measurements?

Also post similar pics

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/JPjKMyPqiFo?t=14
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No. Th writers suck at math.

That marine is too tall. They're only supposed to be ~7' tall in armor. Even if you add a couple inches fixing the perma-squat, he should only have 12-18" on that human soldier.

>' "

>seven minutes tall
>12-18 seconds
Do you even metric system

No. WW2 tanks are better than what imperials have of we go with official sources

Nope, us mericans use ' to represent feet and " to denote inches.

>120mm stormbolter
I don't think the scale is correct on that picture

Nah, too busy landing on the Moon.

Nice nazi tech you had there.

>Are the proportions from official 40k text actually realistic in their measurements?

GW is famous for not being consistent with their data, so maybe. That being said, the model weapons are waaaaay oversized, see pic. You could not even store 10 rounds in the tank given the size of that gun

>putting imperials in space
Haven't you learn anything from Warzone? That thing leads only to disaster. Like pic related.

>that carnifex

Using the metric system.

always gives me a chuckle

But not on Mars :^°

Why are guardsman models almost space marine height and bulk? It's absolutely ridiculous.

plastic guardsmen/vostroyans are poorly scaled compared to the 2nd edition/steel legion guardsmen

next question

>40k
>realistic

ayy lmao

This kills the probe

>3cm - manlet cutoff

In terms of models no, they follow a philosophy of dynamic scale, allowing parts of models to be exaggerated physically to allow better visual conception and appreciation.

There is a whole theory about it from a marketing and artistic perspective that GW actually has done a pretty good job with. Its why they looks so weird when you think about it, but they still look great on the table.

Look at a marine holding a bolter in some of the good artwork and look at the normal bolter marine miniature, the scale looks off, but its intentional. Since the gun matters visually in the game the piece is designed in a larger way to scale the piece such to draw the eye to it. Reason being that it becomes easier to notice when the marine does NOT have a bolter but a melta gun or plasma gun.

Most GW marine models have very skewed scale with their miniatures because they are designed to be ascetically pleasing before realistic. Just look at the Leman Russ model, its so weirdly shaped and articles have been written about how impractical that design is, but it looks great on the table.

Basically its a really complex explanation of WHY the "Rule of Cool" actually works out psychologically. I don't know if they still follow the concept now, but back in 3rd -4th when they were updating the Marine line they did a great job of applying that theory.

Some people don't like it, but their a minority to people that do, but they are still significant enough that entire games now exist to fit the "realistic scale" feel to them, like Infinity.

As for lore, well its not defined. Just try to find the size of a Warlord titan. The Forge World one is the size of a 10-15 story building, but in lore they have jumped size and scale to 25 or even 30 stories tall.

A couple pictures even have them standing as tall as mountains.

>Are the proportions from official 40k text actually realistic in their measurements?
No

regard every single piece of fluff about 40k (the omniscient pieces too) as if it was being copied or redacted by an administorum servitor.

>That marine is too tall.

Nah he is fine. Why do you want manlet astartes?

>Are the ... 40k ... realistic ... ?
No.

STAND THE FUCK BACK WARHAMMER.
THE REAL OP UNIVERSE IS HERE.

BIGGER

cannon is 50 cm. not 500

Daily reminder that in SupCom the factions have all mastered perfect wireless energy transfer and mass-to-energy conversion (and vice versa) along with minaturized nano-fabrication, meaning that all units manufacture their own ammunition inside of themselves from the energy generated by their base.

youtu.be/JPjKMyPqiFo?t=14

Just...gonna land this right here.

and yet they still cant space travel to save their lives.

>100mm steel with 200mm at slope
>better than 100mm adamantine with the strength of 900mm steel not sloped
>While still retain futuristic christie suspension systems and all.

Yeah
Nah

>Too busy landing on the moon
What with your German Scientists and Canadian Aerospace Engineers?

Why would you waste time and energy accelerating into and through space when the quantum gate sattilite already in orbit can relay you strieght to your destination from a ground bound gate?We don't even need a landing zone, if you don't mind a minor subatomic explosion at the LZ.

>minor subatomic explosion at landing zones.

SupCom universe has the best DYNAMIC ENTRY tech ever

Our super special op materials totally make up for our use of rivets, hideous shot traps, exposed tracks, and a cannon whose breach is aligned with the commander's crotch!
>fire the cannon!
Boom!
>aargh medic!

supcom is total annihilation for babies

Because heroic scale is shite

Nah, Supcom is a proper spiritual successor to TA.
Unlike PA.

lets not speak of PA

m8 I ain't talking gameplay, I'm talking powerlevels

God damn the scale that 30k and 40k uses triggers the SHIT out of me

Isn't TA powerlevel pretty similar to Supcom powerlevel?

... you realize that entire crews of astronauts have died because scientists and engineers failed to label their units when making their NASA space pods & got confused, right? I'm all for boasting America's accomplishments, but there were needless deaths on the way to space just because of units.

It's the same scale (almost), Gal'vorbak are just that huge.

then why are most eldar still taller than marines ?

I like to think that at least the carnifex is scanned properly.

Why do they have to make everything XBAWKS hueg? Is it compensation?

>Still bragging about it 50 years later
Nobody gives a fuck, gramps

hmm, I really wonder which system NASA uses, metric or imperial

The abrams btfos imperium tanks by using its long barreled gun, sloped armour, low frame and by being much closer to the ground then a 40k tank.

See It used to be both, until some people died over it. Not sure if that prompted them to change or just get better at labelling units.

GW can't make humans without making them giant chunky faggots.

I'm too lazy to dig up the text to quote from, but iirc the Imperium tanks' armor was listed in terms of equivalent thickness of steel. Maybe it's some super duper space steel that's stronger than real world steel, but I seriously doubt GW would have thought that far ahead about it. It's more likely some writer who thought he knew what he was talking about tossed down some impressive-sounding numbers that are actually less than what real-world tanks had in WWII.

>giant chunky faggots
To appeal to the fanbase?

the scale is correct in terms of length or height of the landraider.

but the tanks guns suffer the same heroic scale distortion the infantry. it's just ported straight to the art usually because there's no truescale reference artists can use.

You think that's bad, you should see the weight they assign to some of their Super-Heavy, Gargantuan Creature units.

Apparently the Tiger Shark, a machine carrying Manta rail cannons that can take out Titans massing 400 tons, weighs only 27 tons.

About as much as an Ork Mega Dread.

The Russ is only worse than the Abrams if it's made out of pure RHA, which it usually isn't (and neither is the Abrams), being constructed of adamantium ceramite composite. However, there's no denying it is much taller than it needs to be, and the Imperium has better tanks in their inventory that they cannot mass produce because their factories and logistics base are tuned to make Leman Russes specifically.

>Doesn't realise that 1,300 mm armors of Abrams was actualy slope-counted and only at FRONTAL arc
>Impliying Land Raider can't do the same
>Impliying any modern tanks have an actual frontal armor thickness more than 150 mm or else they'll be as fucked as Maus
>Impliying a space laser are needs to be long barreled
>Comparing an heavy armed APC used to carry 7 foot armored super soldiers with an MBTs
>Using Wiki as a valid form of argument
>Using an old ass /k/uk meme

Ok user

I think I read that the gun on the Leman Russ has a calibre of 12 cm

Or the Barbed Heirodule.

Despite it being said to have the ability to wreck tanks and what not with it's talons, it in fact weighs less than the Leman Russ and the Predator Tank, and far less than a Bane Blade.

I thought the old rule was 7.5 feet tall?
Which is a measure that just about works for me.
In OP's pic, assume the modern human is about 6', and, due to his walking towards us, appears just a hair shorter than he would be standing up straight. The Space Marine is standing up straight, and to my untrained eye appears just about a foot and a half taller.
This seems about reasonable to me: Space Marines are very tall, large people, but they are not beyond or at the human maximum. Yao Ming, for example, is 7'6".

The size of the Land Raider, on the other hand, just demonstrates how ridiculous the setting's tank designs are. That pintle mounted bolter is only good for taking out threats to the sides, or if someone climbs up on top of the tank. Still, it looks like it could roll over the Abrams, so that's kinda cool.
Also, I like seeing how big a carnifex is.

Most of the WW II tanks are only 100mm thick frontals, and only few who are actually see production phase that topped at 185mm thickness, that was King Tiger and it was slow as fuck. So no user, there's no WW II equivalent.

And the Heirophant, among the larger of the Bio Titans deployed by the Tyranids, weighs less than a Leman Russ and only about 10 tons more than a Predator.

Yeah, GW artists have a weird habit of drawing sm heads waaaay too small.

>The size of the Land Raider, on the other hand, just demonstrates how ridiculous the setting's tank designs are.

Well, it was being a big APC for reasons, and they we're based on pulp fiction like Bolos where the idea of land battleship is popular and widely accepted.

Just look at Baneblades, how the fuck do you want to create something that big when Tomahawk and support drones exist? Its like saying a Gundam is the most perfect example of IRL mech rather than 3 meters Heavy Gear.

The King Tiger had a top speed of over 40 kph and that really wasn't slow as fuck at the time.

Despite being as large as it is in that picture, the Carnifex actually weighs less than any tank in that image.

Not just the Yanks. Older Britfags still measure in Feet' and Inches"

Yes, but the Leman Russ can bring weapons to bear that I'm sure are superior to an Abrams.

Like Plasma Cannons and Las Cannons.

GW used to have a lifesize cardboard poster of a marine with 1 foot scaling lines behind it on display. The marine was exactly 7 feet tall.

Tank will constantly be under the top speed, expect them to be half of the performance when outside of clear roads.

With all that weight, you'll be fucked harder when running offroad

The biggest determent of large tanks is and will forever be the fact that traditional roads and bridges aren't made for them. Huge land battleship style tanks can't use regular roads without destroying them, which beams supply lines for said road gets fucked and good luck crossing a bridge that can't support the weight of the big husker of a tank because it won't be able to go off road well either.

SupCom weaponry is huge.

seems about right.
i know the earthshaker is stated to be 132mm and thats

The capabilities of 40K equipment are starting to show their age, though. There were 203mm cannons on mass-produced artillery pieces in the arsenals of fifty countries as far back as Vietnam.

really the russ is about as well armoured as a modern tank. The battlecannon is comparable to the M1s 120mm, and shooting comparable ammunition at itself has a comparable effect. HE rounds are pretty much useless, you need the APFDS rounds to reliably get penetration.
though the case could be made that the russ is somewhat better armoured since its APFDS rounds are admantium not uranium.

It's backwards design is saved by crazy scifi uber-materials.
If they applied their materials to our designs you'd have a tank that could actually save the imperium.

Why are tankers, universally, such total fags?

It should be noted that the Russ's rivets are external, much like those on the Bradley. They are there to hold the outter layers of the armor in place, but don't strictly hold the actual tank together. And as it has been said many times on /k/, shot traps mean shit against the high-velocity projectiles that are actually capable of penetrating modern tanks, much less plasma.

The exposed tracks and cannon placement are pretty bad however, I'll give you that.

>tankers
>implying these fags have ever even joined the military

The military fucking sucks, it completely killed my interest in military shit and the M16 rifle platform. Every time I see some civilian faggot gushing over the AR15 or M4 in video games all I can remember is having to carry that heavy piece of shit through miles of hills and desert, and scrubbing it for hours and failing to get it spotless.

t. salty Games Workshop cuck

The fuck are you talking about? The only fatalities in the American spaceflight programs were the shuttle disasters and the Apollo. The Shuttles were over complicated boondoggle that were overworked and underfunded, and the Apollo fire was because they didn't realize a 100% oxygen atmosphere in the capsule was a bad idea.

The only loss due to unit conversions was an automated Martian lander.

nah, TA already blew up the galaxy

SupCom is merely in the process of it

On the topic of the Leman Russ, didn't the eponymous discoverer of that STC actually fuck with the design when he found it? I know he insisted it be named after him but him fucking it up to make it a tall, derpy tank like it is, I can't remember if that's fanon or canon.

The history has been revised a lot. Originally, Leman Russ wasn't even a Primarch, and the tank was named after a field commander who perfected the design after field trials.

Not if the Arm has anything to say about it.

>Small guy driving abadon
THAT EXPLAINS WHY HE LOSES HIS ARMS ALL THE TIME

40k tanks are out of scale with 40k people models for the sake of them not being too huge

fanon I'm pretty sure.
canon is that leman russ found the stc, so it's mamed aftrr him and space wolves are the only chapter allowed to have russ battle tanks.

The weapons are also out of scale due to being based on infantry weapons which are out of scale for the reasons of durability.

the scale in 40k is in part due to it being a miniatures wargame. Correct proportions on a miniature at a distance sort of blur together, but chunky heads and hands let you read the pose better from a distance.

The weapons are extra chunky so you can see what they are without having to pick up and inspect the model.

that and in the 80s when gw was getting started heroic scale was the new in thing.
Limitations in casting meant that truescale 25mm minis just didn't have much detail, heroic scale let you include more details.

All numbers in 40k should at minimum be altered by a multiplier of 1.2x.

>That Tiger/Porsche rip-off
[Heavy breathing intensifies]

I'm not an armor fan so I like marine vehicles because they are the ultimate utilitarian vehicles. They're literally just blocks on treads.

I like that the Galactic Colossus is so huge it doesn't even fit in the frame.