Kulmorost Divided

Help us build a setting!

Previous Thread:
1d4Chan page:
1d4chan.org/wiki/Kulmorost_Divided

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/index.php?title=Kulmorost_Divided&curid=39947&diff=385344&oldid=385318
sys.Veeky
discord.gg/qpN5bUW
discord.gg/TjCXnKY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

first for Lesians best race

Shouldn't Val Ocean be Val sea and water math west of it be ocean?

It was added in the latest version, mapbro was in the last few posts of the previous thread. Hopefully he'll reappear.

Damn americans are sleeping! That will go slow

So Hobbits aren't mentioned at all in the 1d4chan page, are they more laid-back dwarves?

Voting that Lesians are run by a religious order, and pluck and paint remaining feathers to signify rank.

1d4chan needs a bit about magic being ruled by emotion and intent etc

Hobbits were created after last wiki update

Fear not, I come with content.

Excerpt from, “On the different tribes of Men.” (Dra-Bul-Naz, 818 ME)
Published by the University of Valkenburg Print Press.

"Of all of the erroneous assumptions made in anthropology in the last 300 years, none has been more pervasive than the conceptualization of humanity as a single ethnic race. This could not be farther than the truth. In human tribes, there exist four distinct elements: economic, political, ethnic, and religious. Different tribes subscribe to different mixes of these elements, sometimes tolerating multiply ideologies at once.

"It is a theory of the author that Humanity as it exists now did not prior to the expulsion of men from the south. If anything, what little archaeological progress has been made in recent decades has revealed that different Mannish civilizations expressed wildly different architectures, scripts, art, and cultures. Indeed, a convergence only appears towards the beginning their exodus north.

"It is with the above in mind that one must understand that a common Mannish tongue, an amalgamation of seemingly incongruent linguistic features, has not (and will not truly exist). Linguistic differences, although seemingly split amongst ethnic lines, are the primary divider of tribes. Although some level of mutual intelligibility does exist, more often there would be difficulty in communications between two humans born on different coasts of the Northern Wastes.

(1/2)

(cont.) 2/2

"Consider the Valkgarians: a centralized tribe eking out an existence on what little green coast of the Northern Wastes there is remaining. Medium to tall of stature, with a wide variety of hair color, and with a gambit of eye colors; this tribe speaks a dialect of Mannish that does not posses grammatical cases. Nor does it have tonality. Intonal, with little inflection, their tongue relies heavily on auxiliary verbs and word order to convey meaning.

"Contrast the Vends people, possessing the same stature and similar hair to the Valkgarians, but with primarily darker eye colors and hair. Their tongue has six-to-seven cases and features complex consonant clusters.

"Theoretically, if you sat down a Vend and a Valkgarian, the two would be able to understand a word or there, but would otherwise have trouble maintaining a conversation.

"Linguistic drift is not a uniquely human phenomenon. Mankind, however, exhibits this tendency alarmingly often – more so than any other peoples."

1d4chan.org/index.php?title=Kulmorost_Divided&curid=39947&diff=385344&oldid=385318

Here's the version that has halflings

MINOR HERESIES OF THE DWARVISH RELIGION

1. The Goblinoids :

Small but powerful sect of wizards with both dwarvish, elvish and even halfling members.
Vaguely based on the metaphysics of the Cult of the Maker, the Goblinoids upholds magic as the supreme principe in the universe and matter as entirely caused and enslaved by it.
Both magic and matter are without consciouness or personhood and there is no gods, life and the intelligents races emerged from natural magical and matter processes.
Non-magicals beings are purely material beings and their consciouness ceases after physical death.
The consciouness of magical beings persists in magic after death but quickly dissolves within it unless they are powerful enough and initiated to the magical exercices allowing the wizards of the sect to indefinitely retain their consciouness in the magical principle.
Just as magic enslaves the matter, the natural order is for the most magically gifted to enslave the less gifted and to treat the unmagicals as the animals they are.
And the natural duty of the gifted is to explore the possibilities of magic in their fullest.
The Goblins were the noblest race to have walked on this earth, supremaly talented with an unegaled knowledge of magic and only small minds ressent them for the collateral damage infliged on lesser races, for why should giants care about ants they are on the greatest quest ?
Yet they failed, but failure is not unavoidable and that's why we should take example on them, both to emulate their greatness, and for not repeating their errors.
The sect of the Goblinoids don't care about race but only magical, the hierarchy is divided by layers of initiation but the more talented you are, the more you can go up.
They are very interrested by magical knowledge, ancient goblin artifacts and wisdom, and ways to make them more magically powerful.

>Just as magic enslaves the matter, the natural order is for the most magically gifted to enslave the less gifted and to treat the unmagicals as the animals they are.
Hmmm..This would imply Human, Orc and Kobold slaves. Cool!

South of the Elvish Kingdoms lies the Tde Mountains, home to majority of the Goblinoid Dwarfs. They are led by a nameless Grand Master who managed to turn the most of local dwarves to Goblinoidism.

Seen as dangerous outcasts by both Elves and Dwarves, for they worship the Goblins of old. Currently Orthodox dwarves are planning a military campaign to whipe the out, but the Lesian aggression with the Elves and the death of current Overking is making this war difficult. But something has to be made before the Goblinoids get too crazy and powerful.

sounds cool.

Updated wiki with more dwarf stuff.
Havent had time to add the Dwarvish Orthodox stuff jet. Probably other part for the actual Writings, which there is quite many already. Also the history needs fleshing out.

So the Tde Mountains would be along the Godless bay somewhere?

Original OP here.

> sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsuptg.thisisnotatrueending.com%2Farchive.html

Posting last thread's archive, so it is not forever lost to the Maker.

Yes

Added UAC dwarven cities to mountains in Elf lands. (this gave me idea why the Dwarves arent that keen to help Elves against lesians: UAC dwarves might get killed as well)

Citadel of the Hunter-Order of NOS added

Fixed. The other oceans need names still!

I like the idea for Hobbits and Gnomes, but I don't think we should call the sedentary ones Hobbits, as we shouldn't be stepping on Tolkien's toes. What if we called Hobbits Hurthlings instead?

I'd say Ocean north of Isle of the Everliving could be named either "Storm Ocean" or "Sunfall Ocean", the Lesian Channel between Lesian island and Elvish kingdoms

Behold! A map of Kulmorost build from fragmentary ancient Dwarven map parts. It apparently shows the world before the Goblins according to the myths tried to create an unholy abomination of sand and stone from the very ground itself.
Current day scholars disagree with this map creation however, stating that old mappers just were bad and were known for inventing fantastic distant realms (see the Forbidden Isle debacle).

Well we already got Orcs, Dwarves and Elves so hobbits is not that bad I think. Hurthlings do sound quite cool however.

This OK, updating it to next version.

And one south of Kulmorost could be named Ocean of Enigmas, because none knows what is there

I reckon that "Hobbit shore" should be "Gnome Shore" or something like that, cause if it is the land given to the Halflings by the Dwarfs it would be populated by Halflings calling themselves Gnomes not the ones calling themselves Hobbits.

Don't forget about the name resource:

Said to be a creature of power by some and a legend by others, the Brumecaster is said to be physically-similar to an enormous water strider that lives in the clouds above. Described with camouflaging and weather-altering abilities, the majority of believers agree that its purpose is to move the clouds in the sky, mixing them together and separating them from each other. Although sightings of the Brumecaster are rarely believable, almost all of the areas the Brumecaster is believed to be sighted have been confirmed to be very windy at the times of discovery. Many small towns have adopted the Brumecaster into their culture, with there being many popular childrens' tales regarding the creature.

What do you guys think? I figure having some folklore based on powerful creatures of nature might be nice to have.

How about wendigos haunting the humans?

Just to add, Brumecaster is the Haumic name for the creature. I'm not too good with foreign languages, so it would be great if someone could figure out its name in Dwarven, Lesian, and Troll. Thanks.

How do you foster creativity?
How do you light the spark for innovation?

I like Brumecasters, are they believed to live in clouds from the Black Dunes to River of Death or they are more region specific? plot twist they are real

I think it (or they, could be more than one) follows wind patterns that go across Kulmorost, but some say that it is the one to cause the winds in the first place.

Should there be only one Brumecaster left, or should there be several messing about all over the continent?

since none knows how many of them are there we can live their number ambiguous, with one matriarch(or patriarch) being bigger and unique in that he/she can control wind

I think we should keep the number unambiguous, but have it so the people who believe there to be more than one of them believe them to be solitary creatures. Folklore could be created, such as if a thunderstorm lasts for more than three hours, then it is the result of two Brumecasters fighting over why gets to control the clouds the thunder is coming from. I dunno why, but I image a Brumecaster to be a lonely creature, gliding through the sky alone. What do you think?

I agree with this. And they remind me of this flying creatures

Do we have anything on how many moons Kulmorost has? May add some stuff if no one's added anything yet

Cannibals and sapient eaters in this setting gain magical power if doing it correctly, while becoming deformed and crazy, so wendigos make sense as some offshoot that didn't know how to take the soul.

I'd say two, so when they create very unpredictable waves

Writefag behind the linguistics and pirate articles, here. I've got to study for an exam. Live in western Europe. Will post more shit in the late evening when I am free.

looking forward to it

I just finished Flying Witch and was thinking exactly the same!

I agree, we've already got a reasonably rare flying animal, having a way rarer one will make sure the two don't overlap too much

Using names of the linguistic user:

The Grimbridge tribe sits by both sides of the old stone bridge, build long before they arrived, the biggest one across river Stern(Biggest Northern river that ends in Val Sea), is known for their strength and wealth among all other local tribes.

It's because every trader who wants to cross the river has to pay a toll and every raiding party crossing under bridge has to share small part of their spoils. With number of steelclad warriors to back their claim

Rumours of aboriginal elephant folk on the eastern continent.

Rumors of wacky and dangerous things on the eastern continent, beasts of all kinds walk there and on two paws! Beware the beasts

who provides these rumours?

you

>Farm Kingdoms
>Republic-Kingdoms
Who the fuck came up with these? These are not real things. The former would just be kingdoms, nothing out of the ordinary since feudal societies were based upon agriculture, and the latter is an oxymoron. Either the mountains should have the Dwarven Nations if there's a mix of kingdoms and republics, or the Dwarven Kingdoms if what you're trying to imply is some sort of constitutional monarchy being standard there

I feel insulted just looking at these names

I'm with you in thinking that the political classifications are odd.

I agree, that's why you should help to improve it

Actually Denmark and Norway are both constitutional monarchies.
It's not really an oxymoron.
Although in both countries, the royal families wield zero political power.

Suggest something better then?

Just Elven Farmlands? The Dwarven Republics? Republics of the Dwarven Children of the Maker or RDCM for short? Of course the dwarves favor short words so their own name for their realms would be something like RODCM

I'm not sure what to make of naming the dwarven states. For the Elves, based off of prior discussion and writefagging, it would make much more sense to refer to the Elven Principalities. Most quasi-medieval states are going to be primarily agricultural anyway.

I guess they were generally named as Farm-Kingdoms for their Main means of production + Political Structure, because state of building and throwing in ten names of kingdoms without further explanation will confuse everyone

>Dwarven Unions (assuming you want to get complex you could have mini republics and kingdoms as states within larger Republics/Kingdoms)
>Elven Principalities is good
>Troll Tribes is the term for the troll people, but their land ought to be something like the Troll Marches, the Trolls Province (polite term used by outsiders), or the Troll (Insert geographic area type, i.e. Hills, Steppe). Alternatively, the Southern Mouth, being at the mouth of the big peninsula to the north

Farm kingdoms is idiotic. No one ever names their nation or state after farming or any industry.

>Dwarven Unions (assuming you want to get complex you could have mini republics and kingdoms as states within larger Republics/Kingdoms)
>Elven Principalities is good
>Troll Tribes is the term for the troll people, but their land ought to be something like the Troll Marches, the Trolls Province (polite term used by outsiders), or the Troll (Insert geographic area type, i.e. Hills, Steppe). Alternatively, the Southern Mouth, being at the mouth of the big peninsula to the north
good, now we're getting somewhere in world!

>No one ever names their nation or state after farming or any industry
You're right, none does, but we here, in thread, do call them like that before giving them proper name

City time!

>COL
One of the most westermost mountain holds, yet in fact are not that Elf-friendly (enemy-of-enemy is how they call the alliance). They prosper from the trades, but dwarves of Col mountain are far more focused on northern threats: the various Trolls, Kobolds and the Human tribes. Build the SOT Watchtower in coordination with the elves few centuries ago.

>GRON
Former seat of the ceremonial Overking (now the Kinghood changes between republics) Gron is known for its massively prestigous universities of Gon and Ron.
It is otherwise rather poorly defended and mostly famous because of being in the crossroads of the few roads that exist among the Republics.

>Begten
Maybe the largest settlement of the Hill Trolls, Begten is often seen as a hive of monsters.
In fact is relatively prosperous location for the Trolls, and raiding ships sent south have brought in much wealth.

>City of Candles
Elven port in the Godless bay. Home to the Candle Cult (Dwarvish name for the cult, the elvish name changes too often to record) who gain power by burning the bones of the dead.
However, the elves living in the City of Candles are known to be accepting of other races, but are equally known of their threat to these immigrants: If you arrive here with open arms you are welcomed, but come with a sword, you will be burned on a pyre.
Most arrivals come with open arms, and as such the city has large ghetto of Dwarves and Orcs, with big concentration of Ghasian Orcs.

Hit me with some other cities! And how about roads?

Sweet. Can anyon here come up with Dwarvish/Elvish/Lesian names for the Brumecaster(s)?

The Gold Vein is an immense winding road built to connect the Dwarfish and Elvish Capitals after the War of Human Exodus, both to cement the alliance between their peoples and encourage trade. As time has past the road has sprawled, connecting to many Elven and Dwarven cities

How about the Valmeirar, Val meaning sky and Meirar meaning something akin to "weaver" so Valmeirar = skyweaver. which would also mean the Val sea in elvish would be the Sky sea, named because on calm days the clear waters of the sea is highly reflective which makes it look as if its a second sky

How about a number of Orcish fishing settlement on the eastern coat of the Southern wastes. it would make sense that the Orcs on the coast would rely on fishing for a lot of their food, also a port town for the peaceful orcs so they could trade with the Dwarves, it seems like the Dwarves would rely heavily on food imports from both them and the Elvish farmlands as the Dwarven lands are very mountainous.

That's a really good name, thank! Do you have similar knowledge in Dwarven/Lesian?

How about "Brumgonor" in Dwarf. Brum - cloud and gonor - the act of eating. so cloud-eater more or less

l was also trying to give more meaning to the dwarf city Gron (gron meaning something like "mouth") a name given to the city as its a main entry to the mountain states of the dwarf kingdoms for many

and for the Lesian l'm not sure, perhaps an intricate series of clicks and whistles?

>Daul Kellas
Located on an island off the east coast of Hobbit Shore, near the Forsaken Isle, this Gnomish city was once a small fishing town, but grew prosperous from hunting the Varhillius Wyverns that occasionally migrated past it.

These days the migrations are far rarer, so the city must look for other means to make a profit. It’s known for being a place one can buy or sell practically anything and for being the staging ground for many a doomed expedition to the Forsaken Isle. It is often called “The City of Scales” due both to its mercantile nature and the Varhillius Scale armour worn by its guards.

That's awesome name, thank you so much. Is there tangible meaning to the Lesian clicks and whistles, or is it just random?

It works! Daul Kellas - the last civilized port before the abyss. A crazy wild place where one might meet Humans or even Lesians trading together.

>civilised
How civilised it is depends on how much money you've got. Too much or too little and you'll see savagery rarely seen outside the northern wastes

The two moons are named Faldun and Mandun. Faldun is the larger (closer) of the two and "leads", while Mandun is the smaller (further) and "follows". Occasionally, Mandun falls so far behind that Faldun laps in front of it, this time is called Zenith. Children born during Zenith are considered to be fated, both for good or for ill. There is also a slightly higher incidence of magical ability during this time, though it is anecdotal at best.

due to Faldun and Mandun's unpredictable effect on the tides, far exploration of the sea is not reccomended. It is curious then, that the sea faring merchants, the traders of the mist, favour zenith, when the seas are at their wildest, the most to appear on the shores and make trades.

So, about the Lesian language being whistles and clicks etc.

I'd like to imagine it's a little more than that. Or could be. Some few that develop a language (their version of the merchants tongue) designed to be understood and spoken by other races could wind up with a language that's spoken from the back of the mouth with trilled Rs, like a more vicious sounding version of french.

French velociraptor people. Fantastic.

Also, I believe somebody mentioned something about a religious order where they painted feathers and/or plucked feathers to signify rank?

Found this in my art folder.

He had seen them, no doubt of it. They were still on his tracks.

Months ago the group left home with all the honors the Kingdom could give. A ceremony was held to receive the Overking's blessings, even. The last thing they saw was a cheering crowd of their family, friends and fellow countrymen, waving them goodbye into uncertainty. They knew it was going to be dangerous, and fear slowly turned to excitement at the prospect of going so far beyond any civilized lands. Without heavy support from a certain Senator the ordeal would have been inconceivable, fame and greatness wouldn't be theirs, and many lives would have been spared.

Still in the planning phase, through the many connections he'd built over the years, word came to Rut of Gron about the plans to explore the Northern Wastelands. After so many years of idleness and yearning for his days of adventuring, the sudden call to action seemed like a well-deserved rest from crowded urban life. He was gladly taken in. It was set: 40 brave dwarves would challenge the Northern Wastelands, land of the Haumics, to find their fortunes and glory for their land.

He kept running. They weren't far. He could practically smell the stench and see the horrid crude animal skins, taste the bitter metal with awful vividness. The only thing he couldn't perceive was their sound. The land was on their favor. The snow muffled their steps and the chilly wind whipped the little vigor out of the dwarf's body.

There was a higher aim for the expedition, as the Senator eagerly told them. If the information in the map was accurate and the soil in that frozen hell really hid that many mineral riches, then the Kingdom would have to put a foothold in the Wastelands. The land could be healed, he said, purged from the oblivious devils that had so far been its only inhabitants. By taming one more bit of wilderness, the world would creep towards perfection, and Dwarfkind a bit closer to fulfilling their holy task.
(1/2)

That was the thought of the naive Senator, who was deeply religious and idealistic to a fault. He went as far as trusting the Traders of the Mist and their strange treasures with the lives of 40 good dwarves, sent into a suicide mission for the slim chance of success in the name of a distant greater good. So deep were his faith and anxiety to see the world shaped by dwarven hands.

Rut took a moment to remember how very far away he was from home. His body screamed for rest, and his mind was already giving up. It had been stupid to go.

This had been a 3-day chase. His arm was wounded. It was frozen and lifeless, but at least no longer bled. Equally, he missed seeing blood. He yearned for color.

Their silent march continued; snowflakes fluttered and danced all around him, cold as iron, white as death, as they pricked his face and sucked the warmth off his body. The indistinguishable landscape after him went on and on - could it be endless?

Deep down, he knew it was a pointless struggle, one last attempt to preserve his pride, feigned bravery before his legs inevitably lost their strength and the snow swallowed him alive. Realistically, he could not flee. He didn't even know if there was any place to flee to. If nothing else, it could be worthwhile to keep it up to spite the bloodthirsty bastards. Or so he told himself, as his muscles threatened to snap and his face twisted into a grimace of pain.

If he was not so tired, he would weep for his companions. Nobody deserves that end. These particular humans had a terrifying hunger for magical flesh, and Rut guessed at least 39 of the 40 brave dwarves would be used to sate it. Not long ago they had caught the only other survivor who'd kept up with him nearly this far. Rut heard him screaming and bawling like a baby, until it suddenly stopped.

Sooner or later, the tall wights of the North, the dreadful iron revenants, they would find him. Then the ugly iron masks would come off, and he would have no rest.

Perhaps they have different tiers of speech, like they have been developing their own language, yes. But they have retained their primal speech from when they where more beastlike. So they'd have their own formal language (comparative to elves, men and dwarves) which they use in dealings with other tribes and races (like a vicious french if you like) , a non-formal language which is used and perfectly understood by the Lesians themselves and their familys that maybe combines parts of each tier of their language as well as having its own elements. And at last a final tier, used to communicate only while hunting or during war with other races which could be described as little more than a series of fast clicks, low hums (like combining the velocoraptors from jurassic park and a sound similar to what predator sounds like

Frostfrontier is a human city on the coast of the Val sea. It has an underground part as well as an over the ground one. It is one of the most important human ports and you can find most kinds of humans within it. It grew from an underground settlement nestled in a massive cave system and it has stood for at least 500 years. It houses the largest market of the Haumic lands and has been ruled since the beginning by a family of centaurs.

bump

If enough people care, we could make a Discord for lore and design discussion purposes.

Here, I don't know if the server will live but let's still try discord.gg/qpN5bUW

Was the discord post deleted ?

huh yes it was.You can look it up on 4plebs anyway

couldn't find it on 4plebs

anyone got an invite?

Discord? Im not familiar with that, what is it?

Text/voice chat system, kinda like Skype

Are you forced to talk ?

Nope. It's Skype but with more features and accessible via browser.

I wasn't aware we had one

Sorry about that, link expired and I fell asleep without putting a new one discord.gg/TjCXnKY

Anti-archivage activated! bip bop.

So, is thread dead or everyone on Discord ?

Just dead

I just noticed this thread. Saw it first sometime yesterday, but whatever. I´m kinda a sucker for worldbuilding and was reading the 1d4chan page.

There a re only a few hints of worldbuilding so I wanted to ask if anyone could elaborate on the war of human exodus as you call it? Or has that been not written down yet?

Most about it has not been written down, so feel free to post stuff about it. Perhaps leave the reasons _why_ it occurred a bit murky but otherwise have fun user!

What is missing in this in your opinion ? what parts of it need more developpement ?

NPCs, the characters that have or are shaping the world currently or in the past.
Cities and ruins to explore

Lesian Island in particular is quite bare, as is the Troll hills

Well this whole war looks suspicious to me.
Elves and Dwarves have all the good lands of the main continent/island (?) and one of the few things we know about the human exodus as that they were exiled to the northern wastes.
So it looks like they were in competition for the good lands and elves and dwarves formed an alliance against them.
Magical races could have been humans, so maybe the ancestors of the dwarves and elves were proto-elves and proto-dwarves among humans or already speciated former human populations and wanted the good lands of their new perceived alien and inferior cousins.
Or maybe they were invaders from other regions of the world, which would explain why they are different from humans but I guess magically inclined and genetically isolated enough human populations could become something else than humans even without geographical isolation.

*now perceived alien and inferior cousins

All the _remaining_ good lands of the continent. (Also dwarves and elves might have had smaller areas before the Exodus and as a consequence of it grew bigger)

Perhaps after the Goblin Cataclysm the races found themselves in competition, which had not been previously needed that much?

Interresting hypothesis indeed.
How much time separates the Goblin Cataclysm and the War of Human Exodus ?

Updated a bit the page on 1d4chan.

Minor heresies part 2

Physicalist School :
The physicalist school of thought believes everything is physical phenomena.
Physicalists don't believe everything is material as magic and maybe minds are immaterial but they think both material and immaterial things are physics and part of this world.
They reject any notion of spiritual reality, don't believe in worlds outside this world and highly value empiricism and non-theological philosophy.
They don't believe in the Maker, the Architect and other gods and are generaly skeptical of religion even if they don't reject reincarnation within this world and some spiritual concepts non involving supposed realities outside of this world and think they could be misinterpreted actual magical phenomena.
Altough they don't believe in the mystical nature of the dwarvish civilization, they still uphold the symbolic value of the Task and simply think this is the natural and rational goal of any true civilization.
Popular in intellectual circles and the most liberal cities.
The only "stronghold" of the Physicalist School is Zlunben near the eastern shore, a small city of average wealth but highly praised by the dwarven academicians for its university and philosophers.
Religious authorities virtually don't hold any authority here and so philosophical developements are unhindered by the Cult of the Maker and is barely impacted by politics because of its relative isolation from the political centers.
This is the reason why many intellectuals and philosophers migrate here, giving to the city and physicalist school a surprisingly strong intellectual influence on the Dwarven Unions.

Its thought that the Cataclysm was an attempt to end the war between the Goblins and Dwarves once and for all, but more or less ended up nuking themselves and greatly reducing their magical ability as well as the greater landmass. after this the Goblins started losing the land that they had in the Dwarven and Elvish territories and then were pushed back into the now southern wastes by the dwarves and then eventually destroyed almost entirely sometime later. then the goblin lands were abandoned and left to waste. though the dwarves insist these events never happened and it was just their own greatness that won the war

So then the Dwarves probably fucked around telling themselves how great they are, destroying all the Goblin records and artifacts for a while and then seeing the reduced landmass and possibility for expansion they got together with the elves to get rid of the other inferior races, which they did and it has been this way ever since (so possibly thousands of years? idk)

The possibility that the Cataclysm fucked with the magic in the realms making the need for magical artifacts and resources ever more prevalent could also be viable

but anyway things can be changed around or messed with if someone else wants to alter it, this is just how l see things l guess

Interesting fact: Gnomes do not simply name their cities, they also give them something akin to a military rank. This rank is based both on how defensible the city is and how well it's actually defended itself in the past.

The ranks are:
1:Loth - lowest real rank, means that a city is difficult to defend/its defences have been breached often and the time between breaches isn't that big. Often given to newly founded cities. Retained by very few older cities
2:Kova
3:Shez
4:Daul
5:Vyar - Highest possible rank. Means that a city has remained secure for many years and this isn't due to lack of trying on an enemies part. Few cities hold this title for very long as some see the bestowing of this title as a challenge
0:Trox - You won't see this on any maps because this is technically not a rank. It's more of an insult as it means that a city is basically un-defendable but implies that this is more down to the skill of the people defending it than anything else.

The fact that the ranks given to cities will inevitably change makes Mapping gnomish lands a cartographer's nightmare

It is interesting that although Dwarves have such much value placed on knowledge and reason, quite many major events in the world are surprisingly occluded. (Elves are not that good recordkeepers as they have not written language, instead relying in often changing stories and tales)

Some radical dwarves, gnomes and even some elves found this fact quite alarming. Is the the record-destruction that is known to happened after the Goblin Cataclysm happened many times amongs the history? What secrets the Dwarves have hidden from next generations? And why?

The current master of the physicalist school is a very respected gnome and former Mayor of Zlunben.
Born in a semi-nomadic communauty of gnomes established in the Dwarven Unions, he received an excellent education in a prestigious university and then traveled to many cities and learned from the local philosophical schools before settling in Zlunben because of his attraction for the famous physicalist school.
Here, he became known as a wise man and was elected mayor four consecutive time before and was not elected the fifth time only because one can only held four mandats as mayor of Zlunben.
He was considered an exemplar Mayor by the citizens and he was quickly chosen as the new master of the philosophical school after the death of the old one.
Still an important consultant in the cabinets of the current mayors, the physicalist school is blooming under his regency and he will likely be remembered as the greatest "dwarfish" philosopher of his time.
Still not very old, the school hired the services of elven wizards to extend his lifespan.