/STG/ Star trek general: Ferengi edition

Previous thread A thread for discussing the Star Trek franchise and its various tabletop iterations.

Possible topics include the rpgs by FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher, the Starfleet Battles Universe and WizKid's Star Trek: Attack Wing miniatures and game, and Star Trek in general.

Game Resources

FASA's RPG
>mediafire.com/folder/9mt7sng56l8gg/Star_Trek_RPG_(FASA)
mediafire.com/folder/cwn8tbt2qm5t4/FASATREK_Adventures

Last Unicorn Game's RPG
>mediafire.com/folder/9eiysv2192ods/Star_Trek_RPG_(LUG)
-Official and Fanmade Resources
>coldnorth.com/memoryicon/

Decipher's RPG
>mediafire.com/folder/c6tb7p6dp0pye/Star_Trek_RPG_(Decipher)
-Fan Supplements
>strpg.patrickgoodman.org

Far Trek
>mediafire.com/folder/lrhbz9l0qay0j/Far_Trek

Lasers & Feelings
>onesevendesign.com/laserfeelings/

Lore Resources

Memory Alpha - Canon wiki
>en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Portal:Main

Ex Astris Scientia - Fan analyses of ships, tech and continuity issues
>ex-astris-scientia.org

Daystrom Institute Technical Library - Database of ships and technology
>ditl.org

Star Trek LCARS Blueprints Database - Ship schematics, deck plans and recognition manuals
>cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints-main2.php

Star Trek Maps - Based on the Star Trek Star Charts, updated and corrected
>startrekmap.com/index.html

Star Trek Cartography - Information and maps
>stdimension.org/int/

/stg/ Errata

The Adventures of the Ark Royal Crew (an /stg/ setting)
>1d4chan.org/wiki/Ark_Royal

The history of Klingon Civil Rights/Star Trek artwork (more /stg/ headcanon)
>klingonhistory.weebly.com/

/stog/ home brew planet/civilization creation table.
>pastebin.com/hhpkEvJU

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/lqf2vy54nszz3/STAR_TREK_Adventures_Alpha_Test_v1.3
youtube.com/watch?v=VpwyXURokKM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Thanks for adding the new creation table to the op

So, that new Star Trek Adventures seems pretty neat.

Finally an RPG that focuses on characters that are the command crew instead of a bunch of lower deck nobodies. The system looks like it's pretty good too.

Np, although i screwed up and named it as /stog/ home brew instead of /stg/ homebrew.

Hopefully next OP can fix my fuck up.

So /STG/ what is your preferred Era to gun a campaign in Enterprise,Original Series,Next Gen,Deep Space9,Voyager, or something before or beyond the series

Post-DS9/Voyager. Timeline is open for all sorts of adventures and unrestrained by historical events. And it's the era with the latest and coolest looking tech and ships (IMO, of course).

Have they updated from the shakedown cruise?

I think the current version of the alpha is v1.36 from January 3rd 2017. And the latest starships section is v1.1 from December 16 2016.

No character creation rules yet.

Pre-TNG. Lots of exploran', some history but pretty much the canon is wide open for either TNG- or TOS-style adventures.

I like the idea of setting one in the 2320's seeing as there's basically no material for that time period so you have a lot of creative freedom. Not to mention that it's about the last point of time that you could reasonably run a Miranda without it turning into an impromptu session of All Hands Lost.

Pre-TOS would be my preferred if I could. Cuts down on the tech fixes to things, but things are established enough to have a very wild frontier ahead of civilisation.

Depends on the campaign concept. But my default is setting it shortly after Nemesis. So that it is the familiar Star Trek setting, but no future events are set in stone.

2380's and onward
A blank slate to work with

With nice ship designs and coolest uniforms.

The uniforms are a bonus though I like to change it up the farther down the timeline I go

>coolest uniforms
I didn't realise they switched back to WoK-era uniforms after the Dominion war.

Can't decide between the Wrath of Khan and Dominion War uniforms. Both look good, practical, and like someone actually spent some money making those.

Got to love the bump movie budgets give to costume and set designs.

WoK's Uniforms came about because they didn't have the budget for new ones though. They're just modified ones from TMP.

That's only the cadet uniforms. They're just re-dyed TMP ones. The officer uniforms were all new.

I actually meant WoK uniforms.
For whatever reason i thought for a few minutes that 2380 was the WoK era.
Mea culpa.

>Infinity Box is back with Kelvin ships
Maybe I'll be able to afford a Konnie this time.

I'd probably cherry pick stuff i liked from STO and add em in as parts of the setting. I like a lot of the romulan arc as well as the idea that the Klingons return to their old ways.

>I like a lot of the romulan arc
excellent taste

>as well as the idea that the Klingons return to their old ways.
Actually the worst part of the game's lore. There was no need to hit the reset button on that.

I personally think the Iconians were the worst part of STO. I'm not adverse to the idea of their inclusion but their aesthetic (Halo meets Overwatch) and general plot line was crap.

>dominion war uniforms
So like, looking identical as if you're colourblind in Starfleet

Just got an Infinity Cross-Faction Starship Trait pack.
What should I get out of it? Something to use, or is anything worth selling? Fed character.

The Star Trek Adventures playtest had its premade characters updated.
>mediafire.com/folder/lqf2vy54nszz3/STAR_TREK_Adventures_Alpha_Test_v1.3
It's possible that detailed rules on each of the four ships, or their associated modules, might be added to this folder due to the wording of the email, so it might be worth adding this link to the next OP, if it doesn't change before then.

>/stog/
I mean, you're not WRONG

>It's possible that detailed rules on each of the four ships, or their associated modules, might be added to this folder due to the wording of the email, so it might be worth adding this link to the next OP, if it doesn't change before then.

The ship rules and stats for all the four ships are already in there. It's the STA Starships file.

The Adversaries file also has a bunch of ship stats for other factions.

Well, about as colorblind as with the TOS movie era uniforms.

the TMP uniforms are pretty much the worst though. By comparison, the Dominion War uniforms are just a tad indistinct.

>Dominion War uniforms
You mean the TNG movie-era uniforms used in DS9, right?

What do you go for in a ship's bridge?

I'm personally quite a fan of the Equinox bridge, shown here minus all of the debris/desiccated crew members.

>What do you go for in a ship's bridge?
I'll say what I *don't* go for: a fucking apple product covered in lenses flares.

Captain needs to be able so see every major information display without leaving their seat.
Needs at least 2 access points, neither directly behind the captain's chair.
Minimal amounts of elevation changes.
Plenty of crew stations.

Ent-D and Voy a shit, Excelsior decent except for the turbolift placement, Ent-E better if there were fewer stairs to trip on, Ent-A/1701 + Defiant (if not exactly pretty) and Prometheus nailed it.

Or 3 sizes too big, for that matter. That always infuriated me.

Forgot one more thing:

No crew stations without chairs.

I just want a layout style like the Ent-D but smaller. Two slots in the front for primary ops, banks to the back and sides for science/engineering/technobabble, and a pair of seats behind the captain for tactical.

Would the Battle Bridge more or less cover that?

I could understand a huge bridge on some of those STO-era ships, like fleet carriers, if they had say a dozen stations or more or if they needed multiple view screens for the purpose of fleet coordination. Then that could make some sense.

Not as a primary, but something similar anyway. Something about the size of the Refit's bridge would be good.

I had a bridge about this size for my tarter ship, a Miranda.

Even their Galaxy-class bridge is about 3 times the size it should be.

You could play a soccer match on the Odyssey bridge.

>"All auxilliary power to shields!"
>"lowering shields, aye sir"
>"no I said add auxiliary power!"
>"What? Speak up, sir."
>"Raise the damn shields!"
>"Raising Starbase 84, aye."
>"No that's not..."
>"Captain, how can we assist?"
>"What?"
>"This is Starbase 84 and we..."
>"What? I can't..."
>All hands lost

>transporters beam clothes up before the person wearing them
>one little transporter hiccup and you've left a naked crewmember behind

There are worse things that can go wrong with a transporter.

No, I mean the ones that make everyone a purbleshirt

I can't disagree with you about the placement of things, but Voy's design aesthetics are pretty neato

Yes, I meant those.

sauce pls

>That fucking show
It's troubling that that's only the second weirdest Trek reference they've done.

youtube.com/watch?v=VpwyXURokKM

Star Trek Online.

this, my roleplay in STO currently takes place in 2421

Intrepid/Belfast//Aquarius

imo the 3 best bridges in STO

>Crewman 1: I have some reservations about the device that rips people apart at an atomic level and has to reassemble them 10000 km away, and so I choose to use it as little as possible.
>Crewman 2: Don't be stupid Crewman 1, transporters are the safest way to travel! Out of the billions of Federation citizens who use them there are only three or four accidents every year!
>Crewman 1: But there have been five accidents on this ship alone in the last nine months.
>Crewman 3: Ha, what a luddite you are!

>like fifteen minutes later

Crewmen 2 & 3: Oh no, the transporters turned our away team into fish people!

>People like this

...Why? I mean I don't hate it but it feels like they might as well have replaced the captain's chair with a sofa.

Ok, a little non-Trek but I really like the bridges, they showed on B5. My favorite was the Excalibur layout which was a very submarine throwback kind of design. And they had fucking hologram displays available I want that to be a more used thing in trek honestly.

Star Trek 3 Excelsior bridge was cheap and rushed, and it really was visible.
Showed a lot of features that were going to appear later like the separated out consoles in the middle and the big plain displays but overall: crap.

Well, it looking rushed could always be explained in-universe as 'we're trying new stuff'. Said features would get refined in future starships.

Agreed. I like to think that this was a result of the Excelsior having taken maybe a decade or more to get into service. She was fabricated to TOS era design specs but then, as the limitations of contemporary Starfleet tech became readily apparent, the ship was rapidly redeveloped. What we see in ST3 is a jury-rigged TOS bridge as they've not yet had time to revamp systems outside of the warp assembly and tactical systems.

Could be a lot worse, like the Dauntless. Not a real Starfleet bridge, I know, but still.

As for why it's popular, I don't really know. I certainly like the alcove look they've got going on around the sides and back. Maybe the colour palette was just more appealing? A metallic blue, rather the the matte whites and beiges of previous bridges.

I dunno, even 10 years earlier TOS tech was not something they'd be building to I think, given the Enterprise was already 15-20 years old when she went in for radical overhaul for TMP.

Does anyone know why they use the vengeance as the picture on the launcher if you cant get it from the pack?

Except the Aesthetic for the Iconians came out before Overwatch.

im on season 4 and finally chakotay got a decent episode

i thought it was really annoying with how everyone talked but it came together at the end

does it get better from here on out or is it more or less mixed quality for the rest of the seasons?

Heres my newest idea for interesting game play in STO, I built a miranda class that I think resembles a BoP and named it the USS All Hands Lost NCC-1616.
Shakespeare invented the name miranda, so the registry is the year he died, and the idea is to rename it the 1616 a, 1616b, etc after every main story mission, showing that all hands were lost after each mission.
Any thoughts?

So? That's not the point. The iconians look like something an edgy kid would draw up after watched evangelion.

Well, the Enterprise was launched in 2245, with us not seeing it until the 2260s. I'd wager she's already undergone a soft refit, probably just before Kirk took over. So, of the Excelsior began its design phase in the early 2270s, it wouldn't be all that ridiculous for TOS design elements to make their way into the prototype.

That the one where he crashes in the middle of the space-Yugoslavia wars?

Gonna run out of letters pretty quickly, user

He could start doing AA, AB, and so on.

What does resembling a Bird of Prey have to do with joke?

*the joke

Or if he's really twisted about this, he could start using ascii symbols to get more mileage. *_*

USS All Hands Lost - *asci art of Pepe*

BoPs, specifically B'rels, have a pretty terrible track record of survivability too.

Was thinking of just using the extra ascii characters but art could work too.

Also is worth of note maybe that in the Greek versions of Bible 616 is the number of The Beast rather than 666.

It is entirely possible that you have made something that does not fall to death. No, no. It has embraced death. It had welcomed it as a friend. The hallways are stalked by Death as if he is one of the crew. When the ghosts of redshirts need a vessel to get them across the Styx yours is the boat they choose and any fucking dipshits that get in their way will be coming with them. The man Star Fleet put in charge of this anomaly is Captain Kharon and he will be your ferryman. Be grateful that the Federation no longer has a cash based economy so no longer must coins be placed on the eyes of the dead.

Most of humans may have forgot the gods of their ancestors but I tell you this for nothing. Hades never closed his gates and Death always has time for subjects.

Need more pets in Trek.

I'm pretty sure Kirk alone killed all the old gods.

what do your STO characters look like? pic related

[Image related]

I have no idea either but I just remembered there's a conversion kit to make this thing as a model.

Never seen any justification as to why the Feds would modify a Miranda hull to Romulan Warbird form though.

Here's mine. Been meaning to replace the TOS starter boffs for a while now, but have no idea who to bring in as replacements.

My 3 characters.

A few threads ago someone asked what the klingon miranda class was, and people said the BoP, so I figured that meant mine would have even worse odds.

Ooh, I hadn't thought of that.

That is vastly better than what I came up with, kudos sir.

Same, The andorian girl I can probably keep but the tellerite and vulcan I plan to replace in that order.
>Purpleshirt Vulcan
points for originality, most people seem satisfied with the normal TV series colors.

Nice

Vulcan is hot.

Not really; if it looked like something out of Evangelion; it'd look more modern military-like.

It was cut from the final version of the scrip, but originally there was going to be dialogue in "Balance of Terror" speculating that the Romulan BoP was based on stolen Starfleet designs. That may have been the inspiration for this.

I think he's talking about the robot angel things. I don't know because what they're called because I never made it past the first episode.

That makes sense. The T'Liss looks very TOS Starfleet after all.

>Replacing the only people who have seen the same shit you have
>Getting rid of the last links a captain has to an age long past
>Forsaking theme for novelty

Are you brain damaged?

Also why is there a Jem'Hadar? Also why is he and your captain out of uniform?

You need to get your shit in order. Your ship is the pimp slapping hand of the past come to show the future how shit gets done.

Jem Hadar is an exchange officer, and thus keeps his usual uniform. Same thing as the Reman and Diplo boffs.

>Also why is there a Jem'Hadar?
Because a mission involving the Founders give you access to a Jem'Hadar bridge officer. He's not exactly a *Starfleet* officer but he works for your Captain. I also think it's a nice little touch because, well...
>A Klingon on a Federation ship? Really?
>Then Worf happen
>What's next, a Borg?
>Seven of Nine
It's the logical next step to start working, no matter how tenuously, with the Dominion.

>A Klingon on a Federation ship? Really?
>Then Worf happen

>Not Klingon captain of the Discovery who came first in timeline

It's happening. It's going to be so inclusive and progressive.

Just fucking kill me already

Discovery is going to fucking invalidate every fucking thing about the Klingon arc in TNG and DS9 (and thus, by extension, a lot of Worf's arc).

Discovery's Captain is going to be Garth of Izar. Calling it now.
This will also bee true.

See, it's not that I'm against the idea of Klingon in Starfleet. But I am against it in such a point in the timeline. The Klingon and the Federation took centuries to get along and even then just barely. Ignoring STO for a moment, the Klingon's entire arc was to go from arguably somewhat one-sided 'black hats' to the more complex anti-heroes of the TNG era. They're the rivals to the federation in many ways and like many good rivals, they flip flop for a long on where they stand. They were the 'frenemies' of the Federation and even when allied they made it clear they overall did not want to join the federation. However, at the same time, ideally, the door was left open for those Klingons who DID wish to be part of Starfleet to join. In many ways it was the ideal compromise, one which did not dillute the core essence of the Klingons, their culture and values because let's face it they would have never fitted in with the stuffy Federation as a whole. Klingon are aggressive warriors, loud and boisterous: a few of them may have the patience and willingness to join Starfleet but most of them would presumably be content to serve the Empire.

It was a compromise which left the door open for greater things down the line but it was not an easy road. To have a Klingon captain this early not only screw up the canon but also make this struggle seem much cheaper. Oh and completely eliminate everything that made Worf so unique.

>Not Klingon captain of the Discovery who came first in timeline
Where did this bullshit even come from? Nothing released thus far even hints at such a thing.
If anything the fact that the Discovery's captain hasn't been announced with the rest of the main cast implies that they're a disposable character that'll likely die off early into the show.

Also (and sorry if this is going to seem like I'm going to drag down real life politics into this and shit up the thread), the important thing to keep in mind on the 'Klingons in the Starfleet' scenario is this: the notion of 'respect for the group' vs 'respect for the individual'.

Starfleet pride itself as being 'tolerant' but this kind of behavior would seemingly go against what Klingons would more or less consider respect (I'm basing this assumption off all we've seen of Klingons in all the series). Obviously, people would feel uncomfortable dealing with a Klingon crewman, as he (or she) is presumably very intimidating and presumably, well, kind of abrasive or maybe even a aloof. But being Starfleet officers, they are OBLIGATED to always treat said crewman well because they must be 'mindful of other cultures'.

But this is not how you earn a Klingon's respect. We know that Starfleet personal can indeed earn a Klingon's respect and friendship but they'll have to PROVE it. But once that is proven? Well, remember that scene in First Contact when Picard called Worf a coward in front of the entire bridge?

"If you were any other man I would kill you where you stand!" These words speak volume of the respect and loyalty Picard has accrued from Worf. The Federation generally make friends by being nice and helpful, but with the Klingons this is not how you earn their respect, friendship and even admiration. You earn it by being a fucking badass. But once you've got that respect? They would die for you and it would be for them a great honor to do so.