MTG Modern General

>What's your least favorite matchup?

>When's the last time you played in a competitive tournament?

>Do you prefer paper or online?

>What one card do you wish was printed in a standard set to use in Modern?

Playing as Affinity I hated playing against Jeskai control. Electrolyze fucks my shit up.
Since before Eldrazi Winter.
I'm starting to prefer MTGO actually. I hate paying real money for digital cards, but I'm really enjoying playing whenever I want. Really the only paper I've been playing lately have been cubes. At least on MTGO I don't have to store thousands of trash commons and uncommons I got from drafts.
As much as I hate playing against it probably Counterspell. When I started playing years ago it was everywhere, and I've just gotten used to playing around it. At 2 blue it should be able to slide through standard without too much trouble, if they wait to design a more aggro oriented meta.

Mirror matches with Tron, the person that starts first usually has the upper hand and wins unless he/she keeps a retarded hand.
Less than a month ago.
Paper, I play mostly to socialize.
None, I'd prefer wizards to simply reprint some hard to get cards so you don't get anuerysm trying to get them.

Anything that can sideboard in Leyline of Sanctity because as of yet Neither Red or Black have enchantment answers in modern.
Probably a few months ago didnt do much won first two matchups and got curb stomped in the 3rd match and dropped
Paper MTGO is unusable trash.
Even though I have no blue decks probably Good ol Counterspell, Hymn to Tourach, or price of progress.

I hope wizards print Berserk in standard set
I want to see infect decks winning consistently t2
and maybe the mechanis as a whole will see a ban

>they put berserker on standard
>and ban it in modern
stop lying to yourself and git gud

user as much as I find infect distasteful Infect is necessary as a hard counter to tron. Also its not hard to beat if your on the play inquisition or thought will grab there creature.
However berserk in modern would be fun for zoo based decks

Infect isn't hard to beat and there's a card that rapes it hard which was not even that long ago printed.

I just hate infect as a bullshit mechanic, that is all.

Infect
A year? Almost a year.

Paper
Hymn to tourac

Grixis and Jeskai Decks

I only played FNMs (only started 1 year ago)

Always paper. I don't care for bits, i enjoy collecting, meet people and sell/trade. The only reason I started playing this game was because I traveled around 5 hours per day to go to collegue and ended up having many period without classes and needed a distraction.

Probably would be the Zendikar Fetchlands, it's what avoid me to build some decks when the other ones costs only 1/3 or even 1/5.
I know if they printed it would be all Khan's super-expensive Standard again, so I pretty much aknowledge the unluckely possibility of this happening.

>Currently playing
Affinity (made it with Masterpieces (still waiting for the drop of price of the new ones) and Dredge (luckely they didn't ban Prized Amalgam).
In 1 year i tried many Modern Decks, and found this 2 to be my absolute favorite, mostly because the crazy shit i could do. I had: Merfolks (2 times), Green Devotion/Tooth&Nail, Living End, GR Tron, Affinity (also 2 times), Dredge (also 2 times), Bant Eldrazi, and sold Infect 3 days before the ban.

I think you missed the point of the 4th question.
OP was asking what cards that aren't already in modern should be printed in a standard set and thus be legal in modern, like Brainstorm and Swords to Plowshares

Oops my bad.

Hmm, don't know... " Unmask"? Probabily would hit the ban hammer in just 3 months.

No worries. Zen fetches do badly need a reprint. It's highway robbery the prices they ask for them.

Wasn't it like 70 bucks for ONE fetch or something ridiculous like that?

>Least favorite matchup
Probably dredge because its entirely based on SB hate
>Last competitive tournament
A pptq like 4 months ago
>Paper or Online
Paper, nothing beats playing with real cards, and having matches against people in the flesh
>Standard to Modern card
Nothing

I just discovered that with Natural Order, Arbor Elf and Utopia Sprawl i could cast a Worldspine Wurm on turn 2.
Then i discovered that Natural Order was banned.
Fuck.

Last I checked Arid Mesa is hovering around 50 dollars, and it's the cheapest of the lot. Tarns are worth more than goyf on average

Does she see any play

No.

I have kind of a weird question. I'm playing RUG scapeshift here, but I want to change my deck. I have close to no money to buy into my other deck. Is there any easy way to basically sell my existing deck for another one, considering the two decks are equal on the average price tag?

Last time i checked for Scalding Tarn it was standing for about 70-72 bucks a piece.

Join your local magic Facebook group and see if anyone would be willing to 1 for 1

Tron. I'm on Delver, and it's just unfun.

Little over 2 months ago.

Paper, Senpai. Gives me more time to think over decisions while i shuffle from a fetch.

Brainstorm, but it would be instantly banned.

Here is two problems with that:

1. My local MTG facebook group is kind of empty and doesn't really have much emphasis on what I am trying to achieve. It's mostly article posting and discussion about the new sets.

2. The deck I'm trying to purchase is a bit unusual ( A certain version of vengevine, if you have a clue of what the deck is ). I imagine it's harder to get that sort of trade going for a deck that is rare, or not T1

Your best bet is to find an acttlual person who has money and isn't a store owner who is willing to buy the deck off you for full price. Then go spend your newly acquired funds on scapeshift. No store (unless the owner is super based) is gonna buy your cards for full price

Infect mirror or dredge vs Tron. I'm pretty sure Tron wins every game unless dredge hits the absolute nuts.
Never because I keep missing them, and there isn't much modern in my state.
Paper all day. I wish I never bought dredge to play online. Shit is super boring.
Stifle. That would make tempo pretty fucking real. Maybe RUG Delver would become a deck too.

>>What's your least favorite matchup?
Tron

>>When's the last time you played in a competitive tournament?
Khans

>>Do you prefer paper or online?
Paper

>>What one card do you wish was printed in a standard set to use in Modern?
Cabal Therapy

>Paper all day. I wish I never bought dredge to play online. Shit is super boring.

I know your pain. I bought into dredge online cuz its cheap not knowing that online is packed to shit with tron and not knowing that it is 8-12 tix to enter a league.

If we had Stifle I'd play Rug Delver in a heartbeat.

Mirror match with Soul Sisters/variants of it

I think it was the Grand Prix of 2015? That sounds about right, besides that I've just been doing FNM.

Paper definitely, I'm a filthy casual and it's fun to meet people and see affinity's faces when dropping stony silence + 3 ghostly prisons + kataki ( what do you mean you can't use white for everything? )

I haven't been playing that long desu, so I really don't have A card I want reprinted.

>more time to think while I shuffle from a fetch
kek

>MTGO is unusable trash
Why do you say this?
I know plenty of people that user it with no problem. You just a grandpa?

RUG delver is a deck. I'd wager it's better than grixis delver.
It just costs a fortune and it's hard to play in comparison to another goyf deck called jund

mostly shit eyesight on top of a poorly put together Graphical user interface and clunky client

Tron
I only play online, no sweaty manchildren to deal with, no rules lawyering, play whenever I want, chess clock, can play every format I like, no need to buy sleeves and shit, I can sell/trade cards right away. The software is pretty buggy sure, but all in all MTGO is great.
False Cure I guess

>RUG better than Grixis
Ok, guy. It's more fun than Grixis for sure, but lacks the raw versatility. Grixis can transition from trying to kill you on turn 4 to draw-go in a heartbeat. Rug can't really do the same.

Also, Tasigur>Goyf.

But really, shuffling is relaxing. In a big match, taking a short break to shuffle and reevaluate can be huge.

Also helps that you can see through your entire deck and go "goddamit it was at the bottom". Dunno if that's cheating tho.

edh pleb here

is my moon rabbit qt playable in this format

Tron literally cannot beat Quarter+Loam and Karn does nothing, what the fuck?

It was never legal

Fringe maybe. You can jam something together and get wins against some decks.

The issue is probably the amount of mainboard relics and sideboard ravenous traps/RIP tron runs in newer builds. Sure loam quarter conflag would beat tron but without good dredging in the first few turns it makes it hard to get damage in before wurmcoil hits the board

You're wrong. Also tasigur is never going to surpass goyf.

You've never played any version of delver before, have you?

Now that probe is banned, I agree that Grixis is better than RUG

Tasigur will never be better than Goyf though

Unless the lists have changed, Dredge doesn't really have the slots to play enough Ghost Quarters to guarantee hitting one. The mana constraints on the deck are extremely tight. You need to be able to produce B or R on turn 1 and RR, 1G, 1B, GB, and rarely 1U on turn 2. A colorless land can ruin you when you have constraints like that.
Tron switching to white also enables them to add Path, Rest in Peace, and Blessed Alliance. Ugin, Karn, and Path exiling remove your best threats from the game
The lifegain from Wurmcoil Engine and Blessed Alliance also allow them to stall you out.
All they have to do is land an Ugin and hold priority, and they win unless you have a Gargadon in play.

>new Travis Woo video
>IS DESOLATOR MAGIC AUTISTIC?
kek

>"Cryptolith rite is the 2nd best big mana generator ever printed and will break magic as we know it"

What did he mean by this?

So I'm slowly dipping my foot into modern before fully jumping in. How viable are goblin decks in the format? Can I build one on a budget?

They're good enough to blitz out certain decks, and they should be fairly cheap. They aren't really tiered or anything.

Trying to spike a big tournament near me on Feb 4th. Should I bring RG Shift or Bant Eldrazi?

Theres a deck called 8Whack, which is basically a gobbo deck. It should be pretty cheap, too, and can cheese out wins.

Also, there was an actual goblin deck floating around last year that was basically Fish, but for goblins. Never did anything, though.

Not exactly a goblin deck but check out 8whack. Not to be confused with the older deck 8rack.

Trawis Woo posted like 1-2 days ago quiet decent gobbo deck that can go out of control pretty easily.

8 whack is the best you could do with goblins. Not that's it's awful, but you will lose more than win.
Alternatively, build mono green stompy. It's like $70 or so and a bit more competitive than goblins.

Been trying out Naya Rallier, threw in Coco's and it's pretty decent

Really? I'll have to look it up. I don't really follow the guy (mostly because I think anyone who plays magic is a huge tool) but I'll check it out.

>mostly because I think anyone who plays magic is a huge tool

Then why the fuck are you even here?

Travis is pretty cool, he gives off a weird cult leader vibe but he's a good player and has fun fucking with people

Because I am also a huge tool who plays magic?

I don't understand the problem.

Gobbos is probably a decent deck. It's just that it's too close to Burn. Though I do love me some Spike Jester. Not to mention that a tribal deck automatically starts at $320 because you need 4 Caverns.

I exclusively play Delver. Modern Delver is exactly as I desceibed; an amalgamation of several other archetypes wrapped in a versatile shell. It's really only in legacy where it plays in a unique way.

Point taken.

Have a kitten.

>tired of playing against grixis all fucking day
>decide to check on infect and see how well it holds up
>on the play
>great hand, drop hierarch turn 1
>Urza's Tower
>tfw drop agent on two
>Mine, pass
>turn 3 double mutagenic into a BI
>ragequits the match
I for one welcome our tron overlords

ULTIMATE ENERGY

I've play a few "duels" of MtG long ago. Recently I've become interested in it. I'd like to buy a few decks so I can play with me pals when they come over. I can get new Planechase anth. for ~100€. Is it worth for my needs or should I look into other decks?
Comimg from YGO btw

I'm not sure this is the thread for you. Here we are talking about playing with 650-2000 dollar decks. A more appropriate thread isn't really up though.

I'd recommend just picking up a couple of duel decks. They are official decks from WotC made to be played against one another. They are cheap for an easy entry point, and playable at least. Modern is not a format where you want to start unless you want to put down some cash.

its not cheating as long as you shuffle without cheating afterwards

Isn't there a 3 mana enchantment that does the the same thing?

I hardly ever see Elves mentioned in these threads. Why is it so unpopular?

Because they kinda suck. It folds to removal in any forms pretty much.

How do I even beat tron as hatebears?

GQ leonin arbiter. It's not hard.

Sell bad cards and buy good ones.

>At least on MTGO I don't have to store thousands of trash commons and uncommons I got from drafts.

>storing them
>not leaving them on the table as you leave and just taking anything you know is cool or you might use

u daft?

I mean I have other decks to play but I liked death and taxes in legacy. Turns out it's kind of mediocre in modern.

Who woulda thunk?
Take the good cards out of a deck and it becomes bad

Are you retarded?

>Tron is on 2
>spend your t3 mana (on the play no less) ghost quartering and cast a 2 drop maybe
>Tron is on 3
>spend your t4 loam quartering and play.. another 2 drop?
>Tron is on 4 and can freely cast it's shit digging for more Tron pieces

Tron might not be able to get Tron online but every turn you ghost quarter is a turn you're behind vital mana and Tron is up one. Maybe you can get them out of basics and strip mine them eventually but by then they're hard casting wurmcoils and you're at 2-3 mana still.

>spend your t4 loam quartering and play.. another 2 drop?

I take it back, your loam is your two drop.

Fair reminder that people who hate tron are the reason we will never see a real control deck in modern. Tron basically plays the control game, denying threats to opponents. Real control decks do the exact same thing as tron and would be hated once people played against them.

Tron apologists are just as bad as Tron players

Kys
This is fucking terrible bait

Ghost Quarter + Leonin Arbiter

>tronbabby saying his deck is "basically control"
O I am laffin

Imagine going to the bank and suddenly a bunch of robbers hit it while wearing emoji ski masks.

Which one is more fun to play, Infect or Bogles?

Bogles has no play to it. Just slap auras on your guy and swing
There isn't really anything you do to interact with an opponent or help yourself

The only enjoyment you will get out of Bogles is from lapping up all the salty burn player tears. other than that its really boring.

Mill because I love enchantment hate
Fifteen years ago
Mirror Universe

Hang on, is Bogles favored vs. Burn?

As a burnfag I have literally never lost to Bogles. I just hold up ACommand/Skullcrack and side in deflecting palm. Is it really that favored for Bogles?

Jund, which is odd(?) because Burn should have a pretty good match up against Jund. I just have the worst luck ever
January 7th. Face to Face has a 2k Modern event on the first Saturday of every month. I usually end up scrubbing out by round 5 tho
Paper. Online is only for shitbrewing with friends
Sulfuric Vortex. Because I'm a salty fag who hates lifegain and wants every match to end with +20 minutes on the clock so I can go to subway and get something to eat.

Its true. Once modern players start playing against real control decks, they will quickly be hated like Tron is. Tron plays in the exact same way as a control deck.

Stop. Nobody is falling for this

>emoji ski masks for payday

Fund it

Hexproof, first strike dudes make it really hard to get attackers through.
And they run Spirit Link, which will make you cry like a bitch if they slap it on your Eidolon.
Palms in the side are great, but unless that palm is lethal the next strike is gonna completely undo that last hit.
Plus Bogles tends to attract rules lawyering faglords, that make hasty burn players rip their hair out.

There are four control decks in modern, and none of them are fucking tron.

Well there is U-tron. its mostly a control deck, that wins via an infinate combo.

I guess that's true.
The others that I thought of were Grixis, Lantern, Mardu Nahiri, and Jeskai Nahiri. I guess Sun and Moon could count if that was more prevalent.

What's your least favorite matchup?
Ad Nauseaum; fuck that deck

Last Summer, went 3-4

online, no smell

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhh