/fvgt/ Friendly virtual gaming thread

We haven't had one of these in a while.
Anyone has the PDF with resources for this thread?
How is BB3D going?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jIP5gSU-ifg
1d4chan.org/wiki/Walmart_Apocalypse
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/51161141
steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=286160&searchtext=&childpublishedfileid=0&browsesort=trend§ion=readytouseitems&requiredtags[]=Custom Models
alternativeto.net/software/roll20/
sketchfab.com/search?q=kingdomdeath
steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=286160&searchtext=kingdom Death&childpublishedfileid=0&browsesort=textsearch§ion=home
pastebin.com/BJDsYA69
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I still don't understand what this thread is about?

Its for people who plays online istead of in person

To do...what?

To talk about the specifics of online ttrpg you dunce.

What do you use for voice and music ? Roll20's voice chat is trash so I used an old laptop, installed ubuntu server and ts3 server on it. As a GM i also installed a sounboard client side to stream music and fx. It's really demanding in terms of preparation but it's really good if done well.

So which video service is best for pairing with roll20?

I don't care about cams, I don't use it for my games and just having game related stuff on the screen is enjoyable and immersive !
But just for the idea of video service i don't know what I would use honestly...

I use roll20, the ease of map making using asset packs and the special effects of premium membership are fucking awesome to be creative with.
I actually figured out a good way to set up streams with it using dynamic lighting. The audience (I make this vids for people in my discord server who aren't playing but are interested in the campaign) can see everything every player is seeing on screen but on the player's screen they can only see their own character's line of sight:
youtube.com/watch?v=jIP5gSU-ifg

I'll look into it, I like to know how other players handle roll20 as it allows so many possibilities.
Any viable alternative to roll20 by the way ?

>The audience (I make this vids for people in my discord server who aren't playing but are interested in the campaign) can see everything every player is seeing on screen but on the player's screen they can only see their own character's line of sight:

Have you guys ever been cooncerned about RNG?

I will like to buy a hardware RNG but I don't think I could integrate it with roll20

Roll20 is all I know as I've never really felt limited by it and friends have shat on any other online platforms I know of.

Is this meant to be facetious? It's interesting to me, I think it looks pretty cool in action :)

Hey it lives. Whatever happened to Fading Embers, i was really enjoying that but i was offline for a weekend and when i came back it was gone.

Bump of interest

The dream is dead!

>Its for people who plays online istead of in person
>To talk about the specifics of online ttrpg you dunce.
Hmmm - you might want to put that in your OP, then.....and you might want to review that first word in the thread title: FRIENDLY. Ya dunce. And maybe some online forum for this stuff would be nice???

>And maybe some online forum for this stuff would be nice???
That is why I asked if anyboy has the PDF with resources, There is roll2 and BB3D to play online but there is also other stuff

>saving pixel art as a jpg
WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU NO WONDER THESE THREADS ARE SHIT

Original OP here. Sorry guys, I've been crazy busy, and haven't had time to make a thread for this or Fading Embers. Give me a second and I'll have the PDF.

Here you guys go. And to clarify what this thread is about... Well, We try and be decent people and form a local community around helping other anons and helping them with resources to play games, make games, and create good stuff. Love and Krieg 2.0 started in this thread. Fading Embers did too.

Alright, down to business. I recently got a hold of someone with a Tabletop Simulator account who's willing to send me a bunch of 3d models to me. I just need to re-label them all and their associated textures, and upload them to a MEGA. So basically Fading Embers will shortly have a near complete set of 3d models for use in BattleBox3d.

I've put the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon RPG on hold for now. I'm evaluating the system I'm using for it and making sure it's actually what I want.

Also I binge read everything in Love and Krieg 2.0 the newest set of stories, done by MyNameIsMimikyu, are really worth a look if you haven't read them already.

Loving the Space Borrowers, feels like something out of an Asimov magazine. Good stuff.

Also someone is attempting to create an Angry Marines Codex. I kind of want to help him, since that's our thing.

Nice, I'll use this next time

>Alright, down to business. I recently got a hold of someone with a Tabletop Simulator account who's willing to send me a bunch of 3d models to me. I just need to re-label them all and their associated textures, and upload them to a MEGA. So basically Fading Embers will shortly have a near complete set of 3d models for use in BattleBox3d.
Are TTS models even compatible with BB3D?

BB3D dev said he was going to give .obj compatibility in the next update, but for now, Autodesk MeshMixer lets you convert from .obj to .dae as easily as saving a word doc as a pdf.

>we have models

Well looks like it's time for me to go back to working on stat blocks again. I remember there was an issue with one of them and i needed to go back and redo it, but i can't remember which it was....

I'll post the thread first thing tomorrow, I've got all four thread archive links.

Also, in the interest of dredging up cool shit, this is what I'm using for one of the worlds in my FFG Star Wars Campaign:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Walmart_Apocalypse

Leave out Wal-Mart in the title, change some of the fluff so it resembles a post-apocalyptic Forge World, and add the right amount of Mad Max/Fist of the North Star, and this is what my players are going to face tomorrow.

Are these models CC licensed or something, or are we waving the jolly roger here?

They were all fan-made for the TTS Steam WorkShop.

>Whatever happened to Fading Embers
It seemed to me that the Holidays killed it for a while.
There were no threads posted in late December or early January.
I assumed that Calvin&Hobbes-user who was regularly starting the threads was preoccupied.

I considered starting one, but my schedule has been insane and I can only answer so much as my system cannot manage online play at the moment.
I entirely missed the short lived Fading Embers thread on the 12th.
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/51161141

I continue to support both this thread and Fading Embers, despite my limited time and knowledge.

So licensing unclear. Gotcha.

Sorry about that Art-user. I'll post a new thread tomorrow, but really, I can't just do everything. I need people who can post the new threads for me, people who can compile info from the archives so I can format it for the wiki, and people who can help maintain these projects. These threads both fell apart because they depended on me too much.

According to the EULA, It's the user, not the company that's responsible for copyright infringement of mods ans custom content.

Basically as long as TTS still has the models, and the fans are the ones providing the content, we're free to use it as we see fit, though if our game becomes too popular for using models with the likeness of famous IP, we'll probably get the same C&D treatment that GeeDubs did with that guy on Reddit who tried 3d printing his own models.

Or more likely they'll just have MEGA delete our folder full of 3d models.

What games have fanmade minis on TTS?

A ton.

steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=286160&searchtext=&childpublishedfileid=0&browsesort=trend§ion=readytouseitems&requiredtags[]=Custom Models

Most board games. But as for wargames I've seen everything for Warhammer Fantasy, 40k, and 30k. Battletech, Infinity, Warmahordes... the list goes on. Plus Dark Souls.

Last bump of the night. Keep this thread alive!

>but really, I can't just do everything.
Truth.

>I need people who can post the new threads for me
I can do this

>people who can compile info from the archives so I can format it for the wiki
I might be able to do this

>and people who can help maintain these projects
I can maybe help organize a bit.

I can definitely ... bump.

This might as well be a good thread to ask. What are some good alternatives to Roll20? I'm currently running a tokenless system so many of the nifty features that Roll20 offers in that regard isn't all that useful to me or my players, and the features we do use we find somewhat lacking in the quality of life department.

Being able to make extensive macros is a huge plus, as the system we're using has a large amount of math involved and we like to streamline things by condensing it all into singular button presses.

Pic unrelated.

>This might as well be a good thread to ask. What are some good alternatives to Roll20?
Seconding this question.

Hold on, I had a couple of options somewhere. Give me a bit.

I've taken to running games on Telegram. It's easy to get a small Risus game going with the availability of dicebots and the ability to store character sheets via messaging yourself.

Always keep a backup of models for takedown resistance

Alright, I'm back. You could try Slack, which works like Discord, but with apps instead of bots.

Or this: alternativeto.net/software/roll20/

Awesome but how hard will it be to get those models in bb3d?

Not too hard. I already had my buddy dump a bunch of models for Fading Embers for me. It's a simple matter of converting .obj to .dae, matching up the textures to their models, labeling them, and making sure they're in the standard 512px format.

Sounds like a lot, but I'm majoring in Game Design, so really it's not much more than about an hour's worth of work.

We will need to create a mega folder or something similar to share those files.

Already on it.

bump

So would anybody else be interested in pulling together a living campaign?

I don't have a particular setting in mind, or genre, or system in particular (could be a few different systems at once, really, but that would take just a bit more work).
But I've always been grabbed by the idea of a big shared experience like this and it seems like just the thing to do through /fvgt/.

Which platform are you planning on running this through?

Presumably GMs would collaborate and keep in contact through Discord and Google Groups for persistent documents, with perhaps a OneNote doc collating things (but you could mostly replace that with any wiki-type site or an Obsidian Portal page).

>Google Groups
Sorry, meant a 'Google Drive group'. Not sure if Google Groups are even a thing any more.

Slack would work better. You can create multiple channels that act as threads, Mark them as invite only for Groups and GM discussion. It also has Dice bots and other stuff for character sheets, and you're able to share documents and images. We'd all use the same address, and once you archive threads anyone can view them.

Think Discord, except with more plugins and more text oriented than voice oriented.

I also had the thought that once it gets started we would have a small digest/zine type PDF covering what each group is up to as well as maybe throwing the focus to a part of the setting each month or however often it would get put together.

But that's me getting a bit ahead of myself.

Not a bad idea at all.

It's also easier for people to create new channels, and it works through mobile. It would require careful organization though, because it is, in essence, a Discord, so you'd need to have a plan in mind before you really get people on the server, to prevent drama.

>So would anybody else be interested in pulling together a living campaign?
I definitely like this idea.

Fading Embers Thread is live.

Bump

Groovy

Alright, so assuming we do this Living Campaign thing, here's a few system suggestions(assuming it's going to be text-based)

Cypher system(Yeah, I know, weird design and all that) but it's a generic universe system where the GM never rolls, and it's always a 1d20 roll, meaning that it's streamlined for player and GM management on a Text-based system.

Strike! 1d6 system, no more, no less, and universal. Rulebook is organizes wonky, but underneath that the system is relatively innoffensive.

IRC, write a bot.
If voice use teamspeak.

>write a bot.

Why not use one of the dicebots that already exist?

You could if you find one you like. I'm a programmer for hire so I just think about writing one myself. Though I've only written one IRC dice bot. It was for The One Ring.

Will you guys be interested in playing PDF related on bb3d?

Never read up on Cypher system, but I'm always looking for a chance to learn a new system.

>and it's always a 1d20 roll, meaning that it's streamlined for player and GM management on a Text-based system.
It's going to ultimately be down to each GM to be in charge of where their game is played; the goal's not necessarily to have it all played the same way and in the same place (but if everybody wants that, then why not).
We just have to make sure every GM's on the same page and that each group has a log of what's going on so every group and their actions properly propagate through the setting.

I'm more excited to play this in BB3D.

Is rolld20 any good for searching for groups? I'm asking because it is difficult to find a group where I live.

Okay so are the creatures in the image the other players (in real life)? they don't look so friendly.

Roll20 is what you make of it. Closest thing it's to is your average dating service. Some people are on there because they don't have any other options... but most are because they're so socially awkward that they've turned to online services in hopes of the internet helping to solve their problems. Be patient, be considerate, follow good Player/DM etiquette, and scrutinize every profile, and you'll eventually find the right group.

Also it's probably going to be a 5e game. Just saying.

Ever thought of just using PTU and everyone just play a pokemon?

PTU sort of... really fails at what it was trying to do. Could work though.

Personally if you want the best method to simulate Pokemon on the tabletop, I'd go for a Skirmish Game using a "Your Guys" focused system, and each player chooses one from their team to use in combat, with a Roleplaying system for Trainers outside of combat.

If I was going to play a tabletop Pokemon game I'd probably use OVA. If you were wanting to play trainers with full rotating rosters of pokemon it'd be a bit goofy, but assuming it's more like the anime where it's pretty good. It even has good example character for that.

>but assuming it's more like the anime where it's pretty good
>where it's pretty good
>where
That word shouldn't be there and I'm more tired than I thought.

I'm amazed this still exists and has 70 posts

does anybody have scans of the kingdom death: monster cards? I don't want to have to beg the tg roll20 group for their resources yet

It's a good thread. No, unfortunately. Wish we could help.

Interestingly enough I found These though: sketchfab.com/search?q=kingdomdeath

In case you wanted fully 3D viewable models of KD girls.

Alright, so I may have found an option for you.

steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=286160&searchtext=kingdom Death&childpublishedfileid=0&browsesort=textsearch§ion=home

Find me a mod with the right content and I can get you the textures for the cards, basically giving you images of them.

Welcom to /fvgt/, where we get shit done.

bump

>Welcom to /fvgt/, where we get shit done.
Aw yeah.

bump

Does anyone have a big pack of scifi icons/characters for roll20 maps?

In fact I have a test build that has obj compatibility that I am going to put up tonight!

bb3d dev

Now that Soundcloud is gone from roll20, how can I play my own music on there? Like mp3s.

>Does anyone have a big pack of scifi icons/characters for roll20 maps?
In the unsorted companion Archive PDF there are a few troves of roll20 icons and maps.

Thanks.

>Is rolld20 any good for searching for groups?
Fuck no, the native roll20 community is to Veeky Forums what Gaia is to /a/ or reddit is to /v/
Try the gamefinder thread here on Veeky Forums to find people

>Okay so are the creatures in the image the other players (in real life)?
No idea, that pic wasn't made for this thread.

>the native roll20 community is to Veeky Forums what Gaia is to /a/ or reddit is to /v/
Not that user and I think I know what you're driving at, but that's all just clicks and whistles to me.

>roll20 has bad players, m'kay?

Awesome, thanks again for everything.

bump

Natively, within-application?

You can't. 2017 is the year roll20 dies. Without music, and with the number of GMs and games overall dwindling, there's no way it can survive another year.

Sure. I'll put that next to the prophesy that both MTG and 5e will die in 2017.

Nah, MTG will limp on for a good while longer: It has enough traction that it can keep moving forward(pack purchases and players are still way up from 2010, but they are way down from their peak).

And 5e is rolling along rather successfully with the adventure-centric publishing plan.

Right. I was grouping statements of similar credibility.

Fading Embers thread is dead. Again.

>Natively, within-application?
How about any other ways?

Usually something like a Hangouts, Slack, or Discord Music Player/bot works.

Maybe try a Rabb.it stream. Never used it myself, but it covers Soundcloud and then some.

So far we have two suggested candidates for the system: Strike! and the Cypher System.
Any other suggestions for system? Here's a relatively comprehensive list of what I've got on hand (didn't generate sub-directories): pastebin.com/BJDsYA69
Personally I've been wanting to try Fantasy Craft and True20 for a good while, but those are also d20 OGL-derived and I know that's a little polarizing.

Any preferences for settings?
I've had an itch for some Sword-and-Planet science fantasy (which Cypher System, Strike!, and True20 all handle quite well).

What else do you use? Just chat?

I originally posted Cypher. I now withdraw my suggestion. The recent Numenera thread makes a hefty case argument against the system.

I'm going to try to get the textures done by tomorrow and re-post Fading Embers thread... so Get Hype!