/btg/ Battletech General!

---------------------------------

Muh land of mecha and real waifus

The /btg/ is dead - long live the /btg/!

Old thread: =================================

BattleTech video-game pre-alpha gameplay
youtube.com/watch?v=FjEeDz51pHE

==================================

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out which BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megameklab.sourceforge.net/

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing?
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5
NEW! - Against the Bot pastebin updated link:
bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,40948.0.html
NEW! - Mediafire link for the most current AtB rule set: mediafire.com/file/dyjdl62htdpbfgy/rules_2.30.xls

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/cj0tjpn9b3n1i/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/tw2m414o1j9uj/Battletech_Archives

/btg/'s own image board: - (Still getting worked on (2017-01-12+), now has 10735 pics!)
bgb.booru.org/index.php

More goodies! (Rare manuals, hex packs, TROs, etc.)
pastebin.com/uFwvhVhE

Other urls found in this thread:

sarna.net/wiki/Grumman_Amalgamated
store.catalystgamelabs.com/collections/battletech/products/battletech-battlemech-manual-open-beta
twitter.com/AnonBabble

House Steiner players, report in.

Not muh Archon

Post Dracs

What article of mysterious lore do you want revealed?

At this stage pretty much everything I've been interested in has been "Wolverines lol" so nothing any more.

Bring back cavalry whiskers. Any army would look 120% more dashing with the Flashman look.

Especially on the women.

>tfw Hanse got to deflower pure Melissa Steiner

Or do you think Melissa was sexually active before her marriage?

What was the secret Star League thing on Lopez mentioned in the original house book and was it the reason the Blakists glassed it?

Who was behind Gray Monday?

Were there ever any real Green Ghosts or is it just a convenient mantle that random people slip on that started as a generic falseflag?

How deep did the old RWR colonies go and is there still some remnant of the old Shark government out there in the void?

What have the Blakists been up to the last seventy years?

Whatever happened to Arthur SD after he went all Darth Vader?

How does the fucking Wall work?

What was the ultimate fate of Jacob Bannson?

How come modern Comstar lost so much of their HPG knowledge compared to even the 3rd Succession War?

Stuff like that.

That's literally answered in the Warrior Trilogy. Short answer is Hanse had a bastard or two before he met her but she was a pure princess. Her mother wasn't but the Fox lucked out with Melissa.

>Teutonic
>a 'Mech in the colours of the 1st Skye Jaegers - ie. the land of Irishmen, Scots, and Italians

I bet an ISF infiltrator did this

She's completely pure.

I really don't understand the Taylor Swift thing.
Is there some grand meme I'm missing, or do you just have mediocre musical tastes and like to talk about it?

Yes.

You're the only one talking about her.

She is a qtp2t

Don't you like cute girls, user?

Why are the Capellans able to make all these economic decisions in the 3030s-3060s without any repercussions.

Like many illegal copies or messing with tariffs. They do it and foreign nations complain a little and the Chancellor says "you can't do anything" and everyone just drops it and lets the Capellans continue without sanctions. The Confederation is the little state that poorest of all five. Why don't they get pushed around more?

She's alright
Not a huge fan of her music but it doesn't make me want to die either.
I always assumed it's too much trouble to conquer their planets since the population is statist as fuck.

Protagonist factions ignore the downsides they're meant to have, only their positive matter. Antagonist factions are dribbling retards hamstrung by their flaws.

This has long been the case in BT.

It's a powerful state with the support of its population. Why wouldn't your average Capellan support the state? Let me explain the case for the Confederation here:

>The Korvin Doctrine

This simple philosophy forms the basis of Capellan psychology and culture, and most of the Confederation's greatest attributes spring from it. Simply put, the Korvin Doctrine is the belief that humans must join together under a single authority and take responsibility for each other's well-being in order to survive the desolation of space. It is that single authority's job not just to represent and govern one group of people, but a unified "Greater Humanity." Not only must planets and regions care personally for each other, but people a thousand light years from each other must care about the well-being of their far-flung cousins. In my opinion, this lends Capellan society an optimistic and forward-looking perspective that considers the peaceful unification of human-controlled space its ultimate goal. While the Doctrine will never be fulfilled*, this way of thinking has made the Capellan Confederation the only true nation-state in the Inner Sphere. Only Capellans have been taught to regard each other with this sense of fraternity, and it shows. Citizens of Sian and Rollis share a greater bond than citizens of Sabanillas and Baxley, and this is reflected in how resources are allocated among Capellan worlds. Profit and convenience take a backseat to the next virtue:

Equal Opportunity

The Capellan Confederation doesn't care where you're from, what you look like, or who your daddy is. The state and the people are in agreement that everybody on every world should share in the opportunity and obligations that come with living in the Confederation. Unlike the people of other successor states, Capellans don't flinch at the cost of education and development for other people and other worlds. Many Battletech fans choose their favorite factions based on where they would like to live, but they often neglect the fact that none of us was able to choose our birthplace, our parents' status, our sex, or our ethnic background. Life in other realms may be spectacular if you're lucky enough to be born on a prosperous world to a good family, but short and miserable if your homeworld happens to be politically unimportant, your family happens to be poor, or you won't lie, cheat, and steal. Only in the Capellan Confederation does luck fade away when it comes to a citizen's chance to to achieve their potential. Not only that, but in Liao space, selfishness and corruption in one's personal and professional life are reviled as un-Capellan evils. For the average citizen, all they have to do to prosper is to follow the rules and work conscientiously. Dishonesty and flattery are largely unnecessary unless you go into politics. Every Capellan child has access to a quality education†, medical care, and career opportunities. Since the Xin Sheng reforms, even servitors have the opportunity to earn citizenship.

(cont)

On the other hand, nobody is exempt from the requirements, and your family's privilege is no free ticket to success. This is great for players, because it lets you make almost any kind of character from almost any kind of background. An alcoholic valet's son could be whisked away for naval officer training if he has the character and aptitude, and a famous industrialist's spoiled daughter could lose her citizenship and wind up as a Marik spy out of desperation. That brings us to another source of Capellan strength:

>Earned Citizenship

The Confederation's society is built on the Korvin Doctrine, and earning citizenship demonstrates an individual's dedication to that ideal. It is available to everyone willing to take on that responsibility, and everyone who does so joins a community far bigger than their family, their homeworld, or their commonality. By showing their commitment to the state and joining the fraternity of citizens, they have earned the commitment of the state in return. This is certainly a bleak prospect to those of us in the real world where blood- or birthright citizenship is the norm, and most of us enjoy a minimum standard of government services no matter where we are. Fortunately for us, the Inner Sphere in the 4th millennium is a very different place from Earth in the 21st century. But, because it is not given for free, citizenship in the Confederation means much more than it does in the other successor states, both socially and politically. It has fostered a society with a strong consciousness of duty which takes nothing for granted, and which will make painful sacrifices without hesitation if it serves the greater good. That willingness to suffer and sacrifice without demanding or expecting a reward is what makes this last quality possible:

That's not Taylor Swift is it? Taylor has tiny boobs, that's why.

>Resilience

The Capellan Confederation is nothing if it isn't resilient. It survived despite being born in the middle of a Davion invasion, it survived the sacrifice of Capella Prime, it survived four (frankly disastrous) Succession Wars, it survived the St. Ive's secession and reabsorption, it survived the FedCom threat, and it continues to survive into the 32nd century. It has survived despite being the smallest successor state, and it has survived despite roughly half of its Chancellors being insane, incompetent, evil, or all of the above‡. Luck had a great role to play in the Confederation's ability to withstand so much consistent hardship and conflict, but even more than that, the strength of the Capellan people made it possible. From the very beginning, their culture has held the welfare of the nation above that of the individual. To them, sacrificing their wealth, their labor, their time, or even their lives is simply the fulfillment of a duty they accepted as children, and shirking that duty is as alien to them as surrender would be to a Kuritan or peace would be to a Davion. They have been taught, and truly believe, that placing the nation above oneself extends all the way to giving up their life. When common Capellan citizens are so committed that many would die to protect something as abstract as "nation," it should come as no surprise that they can withstand the Liao family, lack of luxuries, and constant threats from larger, richer neighbors. The Capellan military takes that dedication even further, and it has demonstrated over and over again that they are some of the most dependable soldiers in the Inner Sphere. If they weren't, the Confederation would have been extinguished a long time ago.

Don't you wish you lived in a Capellan-model state now?

wtf I love the CapCon now

What are their iconic units in different eras?

Besides Stealth Pillagers, Vindicators, and Po MBTs

Oh madcap, never change

This one seems fishy to me. Bit older looking face.

Infiltrated midget?

He's the Maskirovka plant.

>3025-50
Raven, Cataphract, and lots of Vindies and Caatapults.
>3050-Jihad~
Sha Yu, Lao Hu, Yu Huang, Thunder, Ts'Tsiang
Not all of them but off the top of my head

>"any of these kids complain about school lunches and it's off to Brazen Heart!"

>"psst, nothing personal... gweilu..."

Now I'm seeing the Maskirovka hiring and training comprehensive school infiltrators in the mould of Weng Weng in For Y'ur Height Only.

Peg from range with the PPCs and then rev up the RHS for unloading the med x-pulses and streak 4s.

no

>Watching the South Korean show The Age of Warriors
>The royal house is the Wang family...
>Emperor Wang is in the throne room
We need more of this in BT.

I am of chink descent and all i can say is
Gas the capellans, space genocide now.

I main cappies, and I love the faction, but I wouldn't want to live in a cappie state.

I just want to see more old crazy Outback Feddie cowboys fighting them again.

>"Cletus just radioed in. We got Caps incoming, two Chingchongs, a Dong and some light armor. The APC's are carrying Feng Shuis."

>"Tell Cody to get his fat ass up behind the ridge so we can dump some LRM's on them when they pass. Gunga Din, haul your Warhammer up to the valley chokepoint and try to bait them in. I'll be along with Sweet Lucy as fast as I can."

>"My name is Hathi, Captain."

>"Get a couple kills under your belt and maybe I'll start to care. Until then, you're just another green Panpour Pajeet. Alright ladies, lets send these limpswords to meet old Sunny in hell."

"The Captain is a right cunt today isn't she, Cletus?"
"Well, she just got a letter that her fiance dumped her for his other cousin."

Davion pride sphere-wide

Is there a reason to play anyone but Davions or Steiners?

Yes. It's called a campaign.

For those following along at home, here's the sketch I teased yesterday.

This is Plog's first stab at a FedSuns assault mech. Thoughts?

Fuck ugly/10. Needs more goose.

The cockpit is a fucking mess and the dorsal gun doesn't have any kind of gimble.

Otherwise Penetrator-on-roids/10

Same reason you'd play House Marik, Kurita or Liao.

Ugly af, easily 10/10
We need more ugly mechs like this, btg TRO is doing gods work

For good mechs?

Was the New Earth Trading Company basically a ComStar front?

It seems like they were building a serious load of hardware to be exporting everywhere. Some sort of ROM op? Or cover for the Com Guards?

the Comguard is the cover for the Comguard

I think the Federated Suns and Lyrans get the bulk of the better design to be found in the game.

>I just want to see more old crazy Outback Feddie cowboys fighting them again.
Same here. The outback has always been my favorite part of the Suns

Add to that I saw a guy who was named Lieutenant Huh. Huh.

I know it's
>Sarna

But does anyone know where the Trellisane factory info might have come from for Grumman?

sarna.net/wiki/Grumman_Amalgamated

Whoever wrote that fucked up. It's the Guttierez factory, not Grumman.

Well, according to HB: House Marik, the Stingray is produced on Trellisane by a Guttierez Aerospace, but not Grumman. Presumably they fucked up.

Its an error. F-95 is made by Gutierrez Aerospace on Trellisane.

I suspected as much. Not familiar with the "F-130" referenced in it.

Because you can be House Purple Freedom Bird and out jew all the other factions

"Steiner actuators. Davion actuators. It's all the same, made in the Free Worlds League!"

Which faction is more mary sue?

House Davion or Clan Wolf?

When did the CapCon get Manticore production exactly?

Like the first and only reference I can find to it is "Objectives: Capellan Confederation".

Is it something random or something MadCap just "fact-checked" in because why not?

My first try at making an omnimech*. How did I do (sorry in advance for long image)?

*I like Snow Raven, so I wanted to try to make a totem mech for them.

disregard the time period, I fucked up and forgot to put it as Late Republic/Dark Age.

But user, didn't you know? Clan Wolf is Davion now.

>Alaric intensifies

Well aint dis some shit.

We living in the current year, lads.

>liking the people who ruined Antallos, Bad News and the whole damn Outworlds

You sicken me

Iirc the only company that makes manticores for Liao is Quickcsell's Cappellan branch, which means Liao gets fucked yet again because Quickcsell is shit

I vaguely remember it being in the DA RATs for the CC.
Will check when I get home.

>the whole damn Outworlds
Did they make like the bears and go full CLAN SHENG on them? I seem to remember reading somewhere that they where surprisingly hands off on the space amish for an occupying clan force.

Flip the cockpit and I'd dig it.

Anyone download the BattleMech Manual Open Beta yet?

Davion, not even a contest.

It got MadCap'd. The Objectives series is a complete shitshow from start to finish. New lines pop up at random, factories on planets not even effected by the Jihad vanish completely,m and lines said to have not been damaged go out of production with nothing to replace them.

I'd consider making it without the JJs hard-mounted so that configs can vary between standard JJs with 7 jump or iJJs with up to 10 but you used the pod space well most of the time.

I'd drop the GR on the B for an ER PPC and some other shit, maybe a TC or something.

What do you mean by "flip the cockpit"?

Manticore is IS General.

At least post a link user.
store.catalystgamelabs.com/collections/battletech/products/battletech-battlemech-manual-open-beta

>It got MadCap'd. The Objectives series is a complete shitshow from start to finish. New lines pop up at random, factories on planets not even effected by the Jihad vanish completely,m and lines said to have not been damaged go out of production with nothing to replace them.
Kinda what I thought.

It's not like it's a big deal, but I caught it and it kinda made me "wut". It does seem like random stuff pops up now. Like the Grasshopper factory.

>Is it something random or something MadCap just "fact-checked" in because why not?
Yup. It's one of those things the cappies got outta nowhere because MadCap is the capellan medron pryde

Sweet, time to see how many simultaneous takedown/cease and desists I can get, while pissing off Shimmy and Sentinel.

I kid ,or do I?

One thing I wonder about MadCap is why he does what he does.

I mean if he got into the Capellans, it in part had to be because they were the underdogs. So why change everything about them?

God help us, they have a survey on there. Chaps, it's time to flood this bitch. Who wouldn't want audiobook versions of the Warrior Trilogy?

Eh. I mean, he pisses me off as much as the next user but in the grand scale of things a Manticore factory doesn't bother me that much. I mean, it's an IS General vee they had access to already and the Canopians manufacture it any way.

I can find much greater sins in the Objectives series than that.

It's not about the Manticores, just the "fact-checking" thing.

IDK.

Speaking for myself, I'm a Drac fan. The only thing I'd do if I was magically made a writer overnight is make it so that the Dracs actually lived up to their badass reputation instead of being a bunch of lolwarcrimes retards. I'd also give them some designs that don't completely suck ass but that's slowly starting to happen, at least in terms of new shit. I wouldn't make them the all-conquering heroes of Jap Sheng though because that gets stale.

He might have gotten into the game around the time of Xin Sheng and think that "Chinese" and "winning" are the Capellan's two primary traits too.

Fair enough. If I could be a writer for the Dracs I'd at least fix the SHS issue.

Rotate it 180 degrees

>I'd drop the GR on the B for an ER PPC and some other shit, maybe a TC or something.
Does the GR not work well on the chassis or something?

I can to finagle it into a loadout of ER PPC, 2 ER Medium, ER Small, TC, and SLRM 10 with 1 ton of ammo. I can also make a variant with watchdog, ER PPC, MPL, 2 SRM4 w/ Art V and 1 ton of ammo, and an extra DHS. Either of those work?

So with the Federated Suns producing the Penetrator again, is it likely they'll market the design to the Lyrans?

Lyrans don't need more scout mechs.

Isn't the Manticore one of those designs everyone has access to and builds accordingly?

Also, I'm not seeing why they would build the Manticore given they have the Po.

Everyone in the IS has access to it, not everyone builds it.

It works, but you can get the same damage, better range, no ammo issues, and no inconvenient explosions by using a PPC instead of a GR.

GRs have their places but lighter 'Mechs with a small amount of pod space generally do better with energy weapons.

Of the two I'd go the Watchdog variant, it's a bit odd to have such a fast design without a scout or EW config.

>start AtB campaign as clanner
>can't buy clan mechs
wait what?

I'm playing around with designing an aerospace fighter in MML, and when I go to preview the design next to heat sinks it says (14 damaged)

What am I missing? New to aero design.