I've been invited to a join a small D&D5 party. I wanna play a stingy healer for hire character...

I've been invited to a join a small D&D5 party. I wanna play a stingy healer for hire character. Someone who learned healing as a trade and will do it for a price. Not particularly loyal to any god, unless it's like a merchant god or something.

Any idea what class that would be? I'm having trouble figuring it out. Probably cleric but they seem pretty founded in religious magic. Maybe bard. I'd like him to have good charisma too for swindling schmucks.

That price to the party better be a share of the treasure and not a cent more.

Yeah, man, just don't do this shit. It's a huge dick move and quickly falls under That Guy territory.

Be a cleric of a merchant God. Be a cut throat merchant. But and sell anything and everything you can and act like Dibbler.

Just don't be Kunto and charge people to do your damn job.

>t. That Guy

Bard can't really do any healing in 5e.
You could multi Cleric/Bard.
Play him off as kind of a real life TV-shop person?
>Yes, you heard right, I can cure that consumption, but if you donate now, I'll throw in a blessing!

Fuck you guys, he's establishing a general motive and raison d'etre for his character, don't automatically assume he's gonna be ruining other people's experience by being some socially retarded idiot who asks people for 15 gp in the midst of combat or some shit.

>Bard can't really do any healing in 5e.

They have healing word for combats, which is basically the most efficient healing spell in the game. They can improve the healing during short or long rests. They can poach any other healing spell you'd want. Only life cleric/druid multiclass are better healers.

Fuck you, did you read his post?

>Someone who learned healing as a trade and will do it for a price
>HEAL
>FOR A PRICE

It's a classic and cliche idea that everyone comes up with because "LOL WOULDN'T IT BE HI- LARIIUS IF..." but in reality it never works well and just posses off teammates and the gm.

OP is shit, his character is shit, and you're shit for defending this shit.

Yo obviously I'm not going to fuck over the campaign cause my guys too greedy. Primarily his motive is what said. He sees a benefit in teaming up with the party, and his skill and teamwork are an investment in future profit.

Jeeze you guys get mad easy.

>having zero imagination

GM could easily work this into the party.
>Party needs a travelling healer
>Finds OP at the end of a bottle
>Offer to take him on their adventure as payment
>Along the way OP can make some interesting choices with NPCs in exchange for gold
>The dying poor peasant who can't afford treatment
>The rich merchant who has an item the party needs and they are forced to try and steal it or w/e but it's revealed he has an ailment

This doesn't need to effect the party at all outside of normal character traits with npcs.

Oh boy, here we go, I bet next you're gonna start claiming I did not realize they had healing word, you are right and I am dumb, but I can't back down or I'll look weak

I think this coulde be pulled off.
If you make it clear that you don't receive a share of the treasure, and that thus your only way of making money is charging for healing it would work.

>everyone comes up with
No one has ever done this in any campaign I have played. No one has ever discussed this idea in a campaign I have played.

Or the share of the treasure is the payment for healing and charging people only comes up with NPCs. Maybe also with other PCs for "off the clock" healing.

A Bard could work. You might want to branch your character out from just selling heals to selling all sorts of magical spells that he knows. You show up to town and set up shop. Bob's Budget Magic or something like that.

Actually, thinking about it, there's really no need to branch out, you could focus on just healing people for money.

>I can't back down or I'll look weak
The nature of this board is such that you were not identified for your previous post, and were not by your current post; and your future posts will not be identified unless you take up a name.

You show no weakness by not responding to your mistake, nor will you show weakness by admitting it.

Consider if responding to the earlier post correcting you makes you feel stronger or braver or happier, then consider whether it was worth making the post that I link to now.

Don't sweat it bro, some people are just quick to anger, and what you described happens to be a little too similar to some bad stereotypes.

Listen here, you stupid, argumentative asshole I probably oversold them a bit, but yeah, bards are basically 2nd best at everything

I feel like this character concept would work if you talked with your DM and hacked a non-magical (or very low magical) healer, who mostly heals through actual surgery and such.

>Yo obviously I'm not going to fuck over the campaign cause my guys too greedy
Not to say it's a bad idea, but there are many anecdotal cases of greedy party members charging for their services that end badly, or even just greedy shortsighted party members who fuck over other party members for imaginary money.

All I'll say is, agree what you want to do with the rest of the players first, and make sure that it's somewhat fair so people don't get mad OOC for things that happen IC.

Shut the fuck up, and listen to the voice of reason There's someone in my current party who made a psionic character, with the assumption that their class would let them control minds and stuff. In reality, it just let's them use telepathy, and perform magic tricks that are occasionally useful, like casting a smokescreen, or summoning a weapon. I've told her that she should start putting levels in bard or something, and that her capacity for magic tricks, combined with her decent charisma, would make for a great performer, giving her a new source of income, which her greedy chaotic neutral character would love.
But she's decided to stick with her character.

In fact, I'm going to do this myself. Anesthetics that add temporary HP, potions that aren't explicitly magical, herblore, that sort of thing.

That's it, I'm fucking done, you are way too fucking autistic to understand that might be a sound choice to not multiclass, 5e multiclassing can set your character back by a lot. I don't know what sort of psychic class you are using, but if it doesn't stack the caster levels it's probably not worth it, unless it's a really, really bad class, and multiclassing it into anything would improve it.

Well, here is my view on it.
As a healer in a party, your party is aiding you in accomplishing your goals already. It is pretty much the definition of a gaming party that you are all together aiding each other towards some common goal, such as saving a village or recovering the Duke's niece from bandits. The party fighter isn't charging you per sword swing, nor is the mage making you pay a cut of all the spell components he uses from your share of the treasure (I'm assuming). It's just pragmatic you don't charge your party for the reason they are including you in such a party.
That being said, there is no real reason why you should be slinging your healing mojo outside of your party for free. It need not even be for greed - worshipers of more pragmatic gods could well say 'Well, I could heal you...but how will you learn self-reliance if I do that? My God decrees that if thou cannot do for yourself, you should always find a way to reward those who do for you. You *are* a worshipper of Calland of the Strened Brow, correct?'
You could also be stingy with giving magical healing in the party for reasons as well, as long as you are doing your job. Perhaps turning to natural remedies first. Or take an alchemy tradeskill - be constantly on the hunt for rare plants and components while on the adventure. (I'm unsure if you could supplement the entire party's needs via alchemy...although it could be possible for a mage to really dedicate himself to making potions and using protective spells to mitigate damage rather than having a full-time cleric be the healer). That option might even suit your 'healer for hire' motif better than a cleric. All those bottles and ingredients cost money, so you always have an eye out for a profit somewhere to recoup the losses.

Jesus christ dude, it's not that hard It's a3.5e/pathfinder homebrew game. Her character honestly, when looking at it, seems like it'd be a decent performer class, but it's no where near optimized for combat. The most fighty things she has is the ability to summon weapons that are as powerful as lvl 1 starter weapons, telekinesis that might potentially be useful after a lot of investment, but for now is no stronger than a breeze, and perhaps some magic tricks like smoke screen.
Meanwhile, she has the highest charisma of the group, magic tricks she can use to perform, and honestly looks like she was unintentionally optimized for performing and Diplomacy/Intimidate

>perhaps some magic tricks
>and honestly looks like she was unintentionally optimized for performing and Diplomacy/Intimidate
Psion, eh? Not arch-cleric?

Yep. She picked the class by mistake, since it's description implied she'd be able to use mind-control, but the closest she can get is telepathy.

Ah, well, you'd almost have a point, if you weren't a gigantic faggot oh, thought we were talking 5e. DEFINITELY don't multiclass then, multiclassing two casting classes is death sentence in 3.PF unless you have a very, very good idea what you are doing. If she wants to put all the CHA to good use, there's a CHA based monk alternative now, or possibly paladin which could be worth a dip to improve combat performance. Or if you are using 3.5 PrCs, Master Performer would be ideal.

If I'd ever ran into a guy who was literally selling his heals, as a party member I'd let him do it, as long as he was okay with not getting any of the treasure the party finds. He's already getting paid after all.

The phrase people are looking for is "mercenary", which is actually a pretty common excuse for adventuring (at least classically)

Im pretty fucking tired of the whole "the healer is the bitch of the part" stereotype. When your dumb ass is lying on the floor dying who's the bitch then? If anyone in my party called me a heal slut I'd just not heal them anymore, heal yourself, you shit.

If OP wants to put worth on his heals let him. He's already said he won't be a dick to the party, why you gotta be a dick to him?