Why have you never run a game set in Africa?

Why have you never run a game set in Africa?

>witch doctors
>warlords
>rampant superstition
>political corruption
>suspicious foreigners
>interesting and deadly animals
>at least their mythology is a lot better than the standard D&D gods

Also, I know some of you guys have those pictures of "adventurers in Africa" and pictures of militiamen wearing fairy wings and such.

I sent my players' SR team to Nairobi once to tamper with a shipment going up the Kilimanjaro mass driver to Zurich-Orbital. Love what Corporate Enclaves did with the place, and I'm usually not too impressed with the canon sprawls. I could totally see setting a full campaign there.

The problem is "Africa" as a term is pretty meaningless because despite centuries of European meddling and cultural pressures, Africa has stalwartly resisted coming together into anything resembling a collection of autonomous nation states. It's still a country of warring tribes and city state empires, dressed up in the rainments of eurocentric patterned countries.

And that is why it's perfect to run adventures in.

Because nobody cares about Africa and I would freely let players abuse this to the fullest.
>You genocide an entire village of 140 people? Nobody notices for a week.
>You use your godly powers to create infinite raw drugs for distribution? Just bribe the police and you're a rich man.
>Cover yourself in enchanted plate mail that deflects bullets and go on a murder frenzy with a sword? That's called Tuesday.
>Cure a disease that has a tiny percent of effecting people in first world countries? FRONT PAGE GLOBAL NEWS

Because, like most countries that aren't America, in Europe, or China/Japan, most people don't know a whole lot about any country in Africa. For instance, quick, tell me anything about Chad without googling it. They were in Civil War in 2005-2010 and last year a former president was jailed for Crimes Against Humanity and I bet you didn't even know that. Hell, I didn't even know that until I googled stuff about Chad just to make this point.

That's very true in my experience.
For much of my childhood, my mental image of Africa was a barren wasteland with no modern cities, because I only saw any part of Africa on TV when someone was advertising a charity.

I ran a Far Cry 2 inspired guns for hire game set in central Africa. It was kind of fun, but was quickly dropped because everyone agreed d20 Modern was garbage.

I've ran a STALKER-esqe game set in South Africa, the consensus was pretty positive

>1980s, the Apartheid government has no intentions of surrendering power
>Britain is in the middle of an economic recession and high off the victory in the Falklands
>gives South Africa an ultimatum to begin transition to an inclusive government or risk invasion
>no response
>British troops land in Namibia and Cape Town, driving a wedge between the South African forces
>after the first week the situation is desperate as South African troops are in retreat
>the government authorizes the deployment of a nuclear bomb over the British fleet anchored at Cape Town
>millions die, but Britain agrees to a ceasefire
>incorporates the traditionally British western side back into the Commonwealth and begins a massive troop surge
>now the year is 1998 and war is on the horizon again

A president of an African nation was sworn in on foreign soil yesterday. He then entered his country at the head of an international army of West African states -- unprecedented in the long history of tolerating shifting democratic norms -- and will likely eject the former president.

This is about seven miles below the fold, when it should be right next to the US presidential nomination on news services. And I'll bet not a one of you faggots could name the nations without googling, because I KNEW about this shit and still had to check.

I think it was Senegal, correct? If not, South Sudan

Negative. Senegal sent the troops. Gambia would be the point of clusterfuck.

Well, that's unfair. Change, really. You're starting to see more multinational cooperation between African states across the board.

Ah, I was close though! I try to keep up with international news as much as possible, such as the current clusterfuck in South Sudan, the political crises in South Korea, Brazil's recent ouster, and the recent deployment of US & NATO forces to the Baltic states and Poland.

You say that like it's a bad thing. It's a setting where being a murderhobo isn't only accepted but recommended!

>They were in Civil War in 2005-2010
You mean the war aptly called the Toyota War? Yeah, I knew that without wiki-ing it this year.

Senegal is pretty weird though. Every exchange of power -even their decolonization- went peacefully and through a democratic process and unlike many African countries it still has warm ties with its former colonial overlord. Yeah, it's weird because it's one of those rare few countries in Africa that manages to consistently not be shit. Also Catholics are only 5% of the population, Muslims 95% yet religious persecution is almost unheard of.

They are, I dare say, our guys.

but obungle isn't president any more

>witch doctors
>warlords
>rampant superstition
>political corruption
>suspicious foreigners
>interesting and deadly animals
>at least their mythology is a lot better than the standard D&D gods

This is more or less how I'd do Fantasy New Orleans, but with more "France and Africa violenced a baby into existence."

urban voodoo is a severely underused aesthetic. Would make excellent noir media

Hidden for /pol/ bait.

Tragic, but that's all these threads are anymore.

Politically inconvenient. Doing anything with Africa means having to dodge a minefield of accusations of racism and/or of being an SJW.

Also Africa's pretty damn boring to be honest.

I worked with a guy from Gambia every day for six months last year. He was so chill and laid back but startlingly intelligent. Was so proud of his son for going to law school back home.

He went back in December to vote to oust Jammeh. I don't have any means of contact with him any more, but I know he lives in the capital and I'm worried sick this is going to turn bloody.

If any anons end up praying tonight, could you put in a word with the big guy for Lamin and his family? Thank you.

Because it's regional dpama that will likely not ripple out like say China in the SCS. That's why nobody cares.

Africa doesn't have a 'union' like the EU or a large superpower like the US to the Americas. I couldn't tell you shit about Chile or Mongolia or the Czech Republic either.

Any anons familiar with the continent want to give us a crash-course?

I tried once and my players both quit until I started a new adventure set somewhere else

Can't really blame them, there's a reason why nobody likes africa

>faggots never heard of AK47 Republic

I wish more people were like Lamin. I would love nothing more than to see the third world develop and shitpost about stupid stuff with us in here. Instead of struggling for survival and living in fear.

People who value their fellow citizens wellbeing as much as their own temporary safety are what makes a country worth living in.

>Why have you never run a game set in Africa?

>effecting
It's "affecting".

>instead of just ignoring the thread, I will post in it to let everyone know that I'm ignoring it,then I'll lurk in it until someone replies to my post.

OK you can go now.

I don't even actively dislike Africa, but why the fuck do we have so many threads about it on Veeky Forums?

It's of course still better than bait threads or 40k/Magic/D&D all the fucling day, but amongst the acceptabe and not overused (yet) topics this one is the closer to abandon the later category to join the former. There's archives for Veeky Forums, you know? And other exotic non-european regions.

>Chad
Reeeeeeeeeee

>Why have you never run a game set in Africa?

>Every exchange of power -even their decolonization- went peacefully and through a democratic process and unlike many African countries it still has warm ties with its former colonial overlord.

I'm sure this two facts are completely unrelated.

>because it's one of those rare few countries in Africa that manages to consistently not be shit

Then why is Europe full of senenegroes consistently making the continent shit?

AIDF go home.

I pray for Donald Trump and Lamin and Lamin's country. God, please lift your shield over them.

>hey Veeky Forums look at all these buzzwords
>i got a feel and a bunch of IDEAS
>because i'm an IDEAS GUY
>not that i even GM, or play games
>heh

I've actually been thinking about this lately, mostly because I've been reading Tarzan.I'm not sure if I should look up actual facts about the continent or just base everything off of the version presented in those books.

Great post, very useful content