Why are their shoulder pads so huge? It looks silly

Why are their shoulder pads so huge? It looks silly.

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Pauldrons
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because they'd look even stupider with smaller shoulders.

That's just objectively false.

>space marines
>look silly

I'm shocked.

It's so when you model them you have more room to play around with their arm positions since the huge shoulder will cover up any cuts, glue, what have you. Doesn't excuse the silliness but 40k's supposed to be a little silly.

It's a throwback to pre-unity earth. Huge shoulders protect important areas on a fighters body

This is just sad. A few years back you would have been shot down so hard for dissing 40k Pauldrons.

Large expanses for heraldry and unit markings. Presumably rounded for the same reason real-life armour was rounded.

Design wise, space marine armour is pretty great. Simple and to the point.

Its almost like were in a modern Veeky Forums that hates things

Well, to be fair, they are shit and make marines look like cheap toys.

Yep. Depressing. I really wanted the guy trying to create an Angry Marines Codex to succeed, but the whole thread was just "10 year old meme bad, let it die."

Well, son, he has a bolt pistol, and he's turned toward you. That means he knows he's gonna kill you, and from lookin at you we both know he's right. But when a Marine is in a pitched battle, he'll present side-on to the enemy; he can shoot from the hip, so has no need of a cheek weld. That "silly" pauldron, that acts as a small shield for his face and upper torso. That leaves you the lower bits to try to shoot through longways to kill him, and they're damned hard enough to kill when they come straight at ya.

Welcome to nu/tg/

Fuck off retard

Have you ever heard someone who wasn't a small-dicked manlet say "wow big pauldrons so stupid!"

How can Imperial Guardsmen compete?

So long as """"chain"""" swords or axes or whatever fucking cunt implements are used in 40k's combat, giant pauldrons are the least of their worries regarding silliness.

That's nothing.

Sheer determination, grit, an perseverance.

Also being a Guardsmen is pretty much a Gauntlet to becoming a Badass Normal. We always think of the Veterans when we think of the awesome Guardsmen, the guys who've learned how not to die when they're taking on Orks, 'Nids, and Chaos.

It's part of the game's aesthetic that's existed for decades now and allows players to customize marines more freely in terms of poses and heraldry.

In short, eat shit.

i don't fucking care so i won't be here for you to reply to, but just know your sound like a cunt-scented faggot

Well, cunt-scented implies that I get some, so... thanks?

By having billions and billions of guys.

Also in every major engagement, Guard and Space Marines supplement eachother's strengths and weaknesses.

No, Colonel Hardass isn't going to smash a Hive Tyrant's head in with a Thunder Hammer, but he will hold the line and beat back the majority of the tyranid grunts so a surgical strike by Captain Huge and his squad of badasses can do just that.

this lmao, if the shouldler pads didnt cover so much of the arm then most of the potential positions of the arms would probably show gaps where the arm connects

Rounded surfaces make for the best armour, having them cover down the arm and be so thick is smart, they can shoulder charge into heavy fire and be protected lby their mega thick armor.

Bait. But I do recall some image where a bunch of life support systems and computation arrays were in the pauldrons.

So you don't get shot in the head.

An effort to stack as much armour as one can in any place that mobility allows.

I don't know the canon reasons though.

They need to always be able to shoulder-tackle the heretic and xeno.

On oldhammer they were needed to cover the joints. Thats the only reason SM armor has some huge pieces.

So the models have a large blank space for unit symbols.

As has been said, there are a variety of meta reasons from unit symbols to covering model joints

In universe I always assumed the pauldrons were reactive plates like on a tank, and when facing heavy fire a space marine would shoulder down and march into fire. You see this on real life armors that have heavier plating on shield arms. It's meant for defense and to catch heavy blows, to protect the joints of the power armor itself, and it can probably explosively eject when you shoot a rocket at it

1d4chan.org/wiki/Pauldrons

Sorry OP, you're wrong, pauldrons are great.

>shoulder pads
You disgust me.

>It's a Guardfag uses a shitty meme to push his 'muh balls of steel xD' autism episode

Broad shoulders are a sign of masculinity.

What's wrong with football knights? Er, sorry, "grid-iron." Handegg.