Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/ Extra Anime Edition

How often do you recreate anime characters or ones from other fictional works when designing your characters?

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/hAfKSnWW

Avowed Playtest 1:
drive.google.com/open?id=0B5HkyGRtGZy3SWVhdWFBWERWWjg
Avowed Playtest 2: docs.google.com/document/d/1rV7kaF9JL2gw9xQalkEnlEDL9WXtbsaCqNABm_pLIgc/edit?usp=sharing
Malefex Playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1W3LrE8WyIxxYRr8d9dHsWioeUk_-HZaSMqVWRnzc9Fc/edit?usp=sharing
Legendary Kineticists II Playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/11_w1o5dSef2tzu2GDLnJKElHY3uyETzuzFHDAjI6P6k/edit?usp=sharing

Spheres of Might previews:
Part 1: docs.google.com/document/d/1aLaYQEFAWU4zQBx58boJPPaySLgJc0Emmw9eKyIJeGI/
Part 2: docs.google.com/document/d/1pyLq03W2ju58PcKOUq5YXoFowf_weBNzuWtjCMdINXk/edit

Old Thread:

Dragonborn DM here, a new session has passed and I'm happy to announce that it went well! In it the PCs came upon the slave traders that held hostage the young daughter of a town's Mayor/Chief/Whatever, with the promise that in exchange they could get back an object of power that had been given to them long ago as a symbol of alliance with the PC's hometown.

As it turns out the object of power wasn't there, it had been stolen by some expert thieves about a year back, but with the information they retrieved from the bandit's camp they can hopefully get a read on where it might have gone so they can track the path the thieves took when they stole it and sold it.

You fool, we were almost free!

I actually made a well rounded character based on Yamato Hotsuin of Devil Survivor 2.

Why was the old thread deleted rather than just archived?

No clue, I thought maybe it was because of the cute/lewdposting so that's why I made that instead.

Here's the thread before last for the lazy

In case the beloved missed it

I hope I'm not getting annoying with this, I'd just hate to see it end up full of unnecessary mechanical busywork. NOT having that is Power's advantage over Vancian.

Have the doom enemies been stated up in pathfinder or 3.5?

>How often do you recreate anime characters or ones from other fictional works when designing your characters?

If anyone rolled a soulknife without even invoking this particular moment, I'd call them a liar.

That's a beholder.

I almost always draw on archetypes from shows or games or books, but the thing is I usually draw on about a half dozen at a time so that it keeps any one inspiration from being too obvious.

>beholder
>no eye-stalks
>spikes
>filename is cacodemon

No, that's a Cacodaemon. They're CR 2 in Pathfinder.

And you would be wrong.
Some of us have standards.

>talking about weebshit and standards under the same breath

Hey there's a difference between liking SYD and Konosuba, and being a fan of Bleach

>tfw starting up a new game is such a chore

you mock, but a Shinigami class or PoW discipline would be interesting in of itself.
Especially since many of them follow a certain set of class features:

ghost subtype
magus/occultist spell list
called weapon + improved called weapon (with a larger selection of weapon qualities and talents for the weapon)
flash stepping

No.

Isn't like 2/3 of that already in veiled moon alone?
sleeping goddess lets you do the rest.

So uh, yeah, two disciplines.

Er, well not the spell lists, but the rest of it.
As for the spell list, easy enough.

What class though? I'm leaning towards Harbinger.

there's a soul-judge stalker type, that might fit your shnigami theme?

gestalt Soulknife for mechanics / Harbinger for fluff
sleeping goddess, riven hourglass and veiled moon.

I based one of my characters(personality wise) a little after Adachi, sans the rapey and outright murderous parts.

I'm not even sure what this image is trying to convey.

A petty little creep who tries to hide his worthlessness as a person behind arrogance and nihilism?

Does he love cabbage and hate meddling kids?

DEEN.

Yep
I never actually gave much thought to what his opinion on children were. Never really came up.

I'm playing a half-elf from the mwangi expanse and I just realized that I have no idea what they're names could possibly be. Do you guys think it's just normal Elven or do you think it's different? I'm kinda hesitant to go full tribal cause I don't really know where to start there.

His name is Toby

ha

Can anyone give me a re-cap of last thread since it got nuked for some reason.

Comfy knights happened, jolly answered a few questions, and shitposting.

So... I'm seeing in a guide that says snapshot covers 15ft.

But the snapshot feats only seem to add up to 10ft.

So how did it start

Since "The Revolution of Corkheel Square" is taking place entirely in a homebrew setting I will have to do a setting book.

Most of the game will be taking place within a single country, and in fact within a single city.

Here are my thoughts. How much space should I devote to the city's lore, the country's lore, and neighboring country's lore.

I am thinking neighboring countries do not need a large profile, just basic information, a brief history, population statistics, and international relations. Perhaps imports & exports.

As for the country of note the game is in a lot more needs to be devoted, and again as much for the city the game revolves around.

Now, how much would you, as a player, want out of a setting book in order to play in it? Under the idea that you are mostly sticking to a single city and area around the city.

Are you publishing or making this for personal consumption? Depending on your answer the length will be different.

For personal use making the setting booklet smaller is desirable as you are there to question and can change things on the fly.
for publishing, at least a few pages (including new feats and races) so the players can if they want get the background on the setting. A brief skim of important political/economic factions, a few better known places/districts and a "day in the life" or "Street fellow says what the tone of the city is like" in character couple of paragraphs.

That's what I would wager is good.

Make the lore an encyclopedia, or an almanac in its form and function.
Remove all subjective opinions and information, because that's what NPCs are for - to flesh out your world organically.

We all forgot to make tokens, we had some exposition, and comfort was had

>Forgetting your tokens

Anons...

>not having tokens ready
Shit mang even Hell's Vengeance was better run than that.

>Full caster:

1 - 0th level spells
1 - 1st level spells
3 - 2nd level spells
5 - 3rd level spells
7 - 4th level spells
9 - 5th level spells
11 - 6th level spells
13 - 7th level spells
15 - 8th level spells
17 - 9th level spells
19 - 10th level spells

>3/4 caster:

1 - 0
1 - 1
4 - 2
7 - 3
10 - 4
13 - 5
16 - 6
19 - 7

>half-caster:

1 - 0
4 - 1
7 - 2
10 - 3
13 - 4
16 - 5
19 - 6

Thoughts?

I always have mine ready!

6 is not half of 9, I am almost positive.

>no tokens

I bet you fuckers even used pre-made maps.

>hating pre-made maps

Not everyone is a detail-oriented autist. I just want comfy games.

I always find excuses to use Paizo's flip-mat PDFs in my games because I cannot make a map for shit. I've even read through entire APs poaching them for maps.

I'm thinking of making a ODZS Warder/Warlord that twohands a flambard for the WotR game that's taking apps right now.
I've got 16 Cha and 12 Wis, and I need to determine which maneuvers I should take on which classes, for ease of recovery and use. I'm planning on taking maneuvers from Scarlet Throne, Eternal Guardian, Primal Fury, Piercing Thunder, and Elemental Flux, eventually.
Which disciplines/maneuvers would be best suited to the more passive recovery/use of the Warder, and which would best be used for easy recovery/use en masse with Warlord?

dude, mapmaking is not hard.

Dat redundancy holy shit.

Yup.
However, it's interesting in that I can take primarily boosts and strikes on warlord for easy recoveries, and counters on warder
Also, lets me cover a massive breadth of disciplines

That's pretty nice, what did you use?

Maybe for you. Every time I try something slightly more complex than "open field", shit falls apart.

they're premade

I made a 4-story 100x100 lich mansion for an 8 session dungeon run, with pain tools and basic objects.

You need patience, not skill.

>You need patience, not skill
You underestimate my stupidity.

Why do people on /pfg/ get so angry about LN slavers but love Molthune?

Just work on 3 layers when you make a map
1st layer is the ground. You either use a texture, or fill it with a color.

2nd layer are solid structures, walls, cliff faces, crevices, and whatever the players can't manipulate directly.

3rd layer is manipulable objects like tables, bookshelves and of course, tokens.

Why is building kineticists so fucking hard, it feels like your getting way less than you're putting in.

It's hard to build up because it's a cluster fuck to find what you want. Just find a guide online, namely Jolly's. Guides do a better job filtering all the info you need.

I'm using the guide. Still a clusterfuck, it's the only thing that keeps the class from being straight up unplayable.

>I made a 4-story 100x100 lich mansion for an 8 session dungeon run, with pain tools and basic objects.

Pathetic. I made a 6 120x150 maps for my players.

pic related, I had to zoom out and it still won't fit the screen. see those tiny squares? take note the grids and see how large the map is in scale.

As some that likes the class, despite its (pre3pp) faults, and play tested it and voiced concerns, I know.

>I made a 6 120x150 maps for my players.

Noob. I made 20 full 3D isometric maps for my magical ww2 campaign!

I just press 'create random map' on the X-COM mapmaker tool

Oh yeah and then the two non-dragon women had a side session where lewds were expected but avoided.

3pp has made Kineticist one of my favourite classes.

The only downside is that to use that 3pp I actually had to learn how 1pp kineticists worked.

I can't seem to wrap my head around how special abilities work. Say you have an active effect going on, be it spell like or supernatural. How do you end it? As the spell it mimics?

Define "special abilities". That's an unbearably broad category.

Even with 3pp stuff I'm having trouble figuring out how this class works/finding appealing options.

It still feels like the only way to play is to basically just hope the GM to just pick up a conductive weapon or whatever.

Spell like is most pertinent to my issue though I'm curious about supernatural as well. The ability mimics a spell and has a duration that can be voluntarily dispelled early.

As far as I'm aware, spell-likes work just like spells unless noted otherwise. So a dispellable spell is dispellable as a spell-like.

I'd say with Supernaturals as well.

Does it dispel the same way, though? With a verbal command?

If you look in the "Universal Monster Abilities" under Spell Like Abilities and Supernatural abilities, it tells you the answers to these questions.

However: Spell Like Abiliies work exactly as the spells in question unless the mosnter entry indicates otherwise.

Supernatural abilities are unique to the creatures in question, and most are treated individually per the description of the user's ability. Constant ones may be suppressed as a standard action and reactivated as a free action.

Our DM decided to switch from 5e to Pathfinder this month for a new campaign. Nobody has any experience with this system except the DM, but we've made characters and will soon be entering our first session.

This is the party comp so far:

>Gunslinger
>Mindblade magus
>Majordomo investigator
>Brawler
>Oracle with the life mystery

Important to note that we'll be starting at first level in a politics-focused campaign and I'm the only one to have done research beforehand. I'm most worried about the gunslinger and brawler because their players could be easily overwhelmed even by 5e's rules.

How screwed are we, /pfg/?

I'm mostly looking at this:

>Fox Shape (Kitsune)
You can change into a fox in addition to your other forms.

Prerequisites: Cha 13, base attack bonus +3, kitsune.

Special: A kitsune may select this feat any time she would gain a feat.

Benefit: You can take the form of a fox whose appearance is static and cannot be changed each time you assume this form. Your bite attackā€™s damage is reduced to 1d3 points of damage on a hit, but you gain a +10 racial bonus on Disguise checks made to appear as a fox. Changing from kitsune to fox shape is a standard action. This ability otherwise functions as beast shape II, and your ability scores change accordingly.

The general argument seems to be that the fox can't speak. However, Beast Shape requires a verbal command word to dispel.

I don't think Beast Shape stops you from speaking. Also.

>If the spell has no verbal component, you can dismiss the effect with a gesture

A spell-like has no verbal component, so it can be dispelled with a gesture.

The brawler and gunslinger's PCs are going to be overwhelmed at first, but if they make a routine of their abilities they should be fine.
The brawler might need a bit more help if they're base brawler. Having the Entire combat feat list to you can get overwhelming all its own.

Aside from that you should be fine. Pathfinders bigger issues become more clear with rapid play. Since you're a new group you won't really run into them as much as veteran players.

Gunslinger and brawler will be unable to mechanically contribute in social situations if GM resolves challenges through skill rolls instead of roleplaying.

Potentially all of you will be in trouble in combat. Likely the nonoptimised ones most.

If youe GM is ok he'll fudge things to fit, but this is more likely not going to be much more than a learning experience.

Is there anyway for a Kineticist to get more blast types outside of waiting on Expanded Element/archetypes.

Gunslinger could be a Mysterious Stranger. He could handle social skills.

Could be but as user listed other archetypes for the other players assuming he didn't.

Beast shape does indeed stop you from speaking, unless the creature itself has the capacity for speech. Also, without natural spell, you still can't do the somatic components.

It doesn't say a somatic component. Just 'a gesture'

>Kitsunes have fox faces
>Foxes have fox faces

Where is the logic that a Kitsune in fox form can't speak?

Your face is not the sole aspect of forming speech. A fox doesn't have the kitsune's human-like diaphragm, vocal cords, etc.

Too bad.

>The stray fox looks at you expectantly.

>Uhh...I guess I try to pet it?

>As you reach out the fox yells "Color Spray, Bitch!" Roll will.

Kineticists are built differently; most of the standard options simply can't apply to them for damage. But there are workarounds, compatibility-gains, or alternatives.

The biggest trick is to understand your no-burn limitation. How the reductions apply, and what options you have to mitigate going over.

Take a regular kinetic blast, for example.

It's shit. Right?
Of course it's shit.

But: What happens when you empower that? x1.5 everything right? Including its static bonuses like deadly aim or overflow? For one burn, that's a pretty big step up isn't it? And if you maximize that empowered blast?
If you Quicken and fire two?
Well, it's still no full martial attacker, but you can hold your own along with bards and other second-line attackers no problem.

And you get all those dice, right? So, isn't any ability that gives you +1/die going to be more worth it by like, level 7, than simply adding 1d6? What if you have a blast type that does +2/die instead? Infusion specialization means you need an infusion, but some cost 1, some cost 3... see what mixes and matches.

Utilities; same thing. What you can afford to do - like say with battle-burn or your buffer.

Once you figure out how to set that up, you're naturally also going to own the options for going all-out. Your max burn gain in a round may not be very high - but that's AFTER all reductions. Battle Burn on the Legendary, for example, can be used on anything with a duration, including infusions, but it HAS to have an infusion. You can use it on some nasty combos so long as you remember ... or add, a duration in some way.

>And you get all those dice, right? So, isn't any ability that gives you +1/die going to be more worth it by like, level 7, than simply adding 1d6? What if you have a blast type that does +2/die instead?
Isn't the only way to do that through Aetheric boost and some magic item from one of the KoP books?

Oh and Bloody Murder blast, but that locks you into an archetype.
>Well, it's still no full martial attacker, but you can hold your own along with bards and other second-line attackers no problem.
Yeah my issue with the class is it just feels like your doing rocket science do do what a bunch of other people either do out of the box or with a lot less effort. Maybe because I'm still trying to "learn" it.

Those are two of the main ways, yes. But you don't even bother talking kineticists without 3pp; They're as close to "the MMO devs admitted this class isn't viable" as it gets... And that usually means you literally can't log in with it without a crash and lost progress, let alone ever hope to be of use.

However, there's also Gravitic Boost from 1pp which increases each die by one size; that's also +1/die effectively (from 3.5 to 4.5).

The kineticist books also have a small number of both utilities ("from now on your wind attacks do +1 when slashing" or the like) and the MkIIIs, the 3-burn composite blasts with special effects ranging from "EVERYONE HIT EATS PRISMATIC SPRAY" to "+2 damage/die and counts as adamantine"

Kineticist is needlessly complicated, yes.

So why does everyone on Veeky Forums say PF is the worst? I just recently started P&P and we chose Pathfinder because I heard it has good big premade Adventures, which is good, because none of us had any prior experience and nobody wants to be the GM all the time, so we just divide the 6 chapters of an Adventure Path among us.

But here I am reading that PF is the worst game to start with and just garbage.

What does everyone prefer about D&D 5E?

What would make Dragon Disciple "balanced" if you could take it at level 1?

How likely is it for fine elf honeys to slum it by getting frisky with young half-elf fellas?
Is it particularly common, or pretty special?

pyromancers.com/dungeon-painter-online
donjon.biz

literally full tools for automation if you want them

I don't know, I think most of the fluff for elves is that they're kind of xenophobic, so half-elves are probably distatesful. Compared to humans, who can (and will) fuck anything that breathes. Or in some cases, even things that don't.