/tgesg/ - Weekend Elder Scrolls Lore General

Dust Adept Edition

>Tabletop/P&P RPGs
[UESRPG - P&P RPG] docs.google.com/document/d/1pTgTN2aJUoY95JtquowagfUJLL7tCQYhzJKcCAcbvio/edit?usp=sharing
[Scrollhammer - Tabletop Wargame] 1d4chan.org/wiki/Scrollhammer_2nd_Edition
Discussion in #Scrollhammer (irc.thisisnotatrueending.com (port 6667))

>Lore Resources
[The Imperial Library] imperial-library.info/
[/r/teslore] reddit.com/r/teslore/
[UESP/Lore] uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page
[Pocket Guide to the Lore] docs.google.com/document/d/1AtsWXZKVqB4Q825_SwINY6z4_9NaGknXgeOknOCDuCU/edit
[Elder Lore Podcast] elderlore.wordpress.com/
[How to Become a Lore Buff] forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1112211-how-to-become-a-lore-buff/

>General Rules
This is NOT /tesg/ minus waifus, so behave properly.
Keep the squabbling to a minimum.
No waifus/husbandos except for Master Neloth of Great House Telvanni

Previous kalpa:

Other urls found in this thread:

skyrimgems.com/
nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/21265/?
nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/66665/?
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What are some good lore mods for skyrim?

>inb4 back to /tesg/

skyrimgems.com/
nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/21265/?
nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/66665/?

>nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/66665/?
Is this real lore?

yeah

It's a joke.

sure is quiet in here

>Dust Adept Edition
YES

Do we know what the relationship between falmer and dragons was?

Only that they worshipped Auri-El.

Dragons came together with the Nedes from Atmora.

Nedes didn't come from Atmora.

Can we speculate how the Altmer occupation of Valenwood will change the Bosmer?

Basically

>Bosmer are cut off from trade they need for wood and metal products
>Mages are either indoctrinated by Thalmor or persecuted
>The only way for the Bosmer to make anything usable for combat now is using animal bones and they can't even Smith them into bonemeal or chitin armour
>The only option left for combat is unarmed combat
>The Thalmor unwittingly transform a race of stealth archers into a race of martial artists

>tie tusks together with sinew to make a bow
>sharpen bone to make an arrow
Difficult

Wait, the Dominion went in that hard against the Bosmer? I thought they were still at least trying to cultivate the illusion of a partnership.

>>Bosmer are cut off from trade they need for wood and metal products
Well, overland trade. Cyrodiil was previously their biggest supplier of lumber, so I guess whatever is imported now will have to be shipped via sea from the Dominion. They probably have some crazy notions about having an specific number of growth rings for purity and bonsai shit, so it's probably pretty limited at that.

On the other hand, all Dominion employed personnel would probably get Dominion weapons and materials.

Why is Hasphat Antabolis so cool? Why is such an educated guy hanging out sparring in the Fighter's Guild all day?

He's being an educated gentleman and teaching people how to punch shit.

Anyone know of a morrowind toggle-crouch mod that doesn't require Tribunal? Or is there a way to get rid of the damned assassins?

>morrowind toggle-crouch mod that doesn't require Tribunal
You need MCP.
>Or is there a way to get rid of the damned assassins?
There are a number of mods for this.

Go ask in /tesg/.

You don't notice how the Thalmor purged their own society of anyone who doesn't agree with them?

They persecute anyone capable of posing a threat.

And also they hate Bosmer just as well considering the fact that Bosmer are interbred with humans.
They probably use them as a slave race of mud farmers.

In their coups they specifically targeted the houses capable of calling on the wild hunt.

Free mages are a thing of the past in the dominion and they don't allow anyone who's in dissagreement with them to even begin to study magic.

They block any trade that might give the Bosmer a chance to arm them selves (so no wood or metal).

And working bone into usable tools and weapons is pretty damn hard.

Thus the only options left for the wood elves are:

1. Break the green pact turning everyone into eldritch horrors PERMANENTLY!

2. Becomme master bone craftsmen when they have to ritually consume everything thus again breaking the pact.

3. Get outside help which they'll hardly be able or willing to get.

4. Jack up on their high-protein diet and learn to punch hard enough to crack Altmer skulls for some brains-ragout.

It kinda ends up like the Japanese occupation of China.

>Why is such an educated guy hanging out sparring in the Fighter's Guild all day?
That's a better question than you might realize.

Think about it. Why is he?

>2. Becomme master bone craftsmen when they have to ritually consume everything thus again breaking the pact.
Does using the bones in craft not count as consuming them?

I know little about Bosmer anything.

Well the largest scholastic traditions at the time of Morrowind seem to be the Mage's Guild and the Moth Priest Cult. Without any magical aptitude (or a desire to go blind from the secrets of creation) I suppose sharing his combat skills is the best way for him to make money to fund his research. Probably a decent way to find contacts as well.

That user just wants buff punch bosmer for some reason. The green pact says you must not harm the native vegetation and eat only meat, it doesn't say you have to eat the bones and tendons of everything.

You've mentioned something important. What is his research? How does the player interact with him in this capacity?

What is the significance of his connections to a certain other Imperial organization operating heavily in Morrowind in the year 3E 427, and what does all these questions have to do with each other?

That's really weird, because generally they'd need so many animals that the animals would eat more plants than the bosmer would directly.

Clearly the tree spirits were not very smart.

Well, they also eat insects and each other.

>Hasphat Antabolis
He's Drillmaster of the Balmora Fighters Guild. He's lived in Morrowind all his life, knows the natives, and talks a lot with backcountry mercenaries. He thinks of himself as a scholar, and he's particularly interested in Dwemer ruins and artifacts.

>Chair of Dwemer Studies
>Currently, the Chair is empty and the Great Houses can't agree on a replacement. I believe Hasphat Antabolis was nominated... I'd try to get the position myself, but I fear all the meetings and bookkeeping would take time away from my research.

His research is into Dwemer culture. He is disillusioned with the positive perception of them, given his closing statements in Dwemer History and Culture, but he is fascinated with their disappearance. He does interact with the Nerevarine at the behest of the Blades, but that's trading Sixth House knowledge for Dwemer artifacts. He is a Blades informant but that seems to be second to his interest in the Dwemer.

So he's an Imperial, in an Imperial guild, with connections to an Imperial spy network, working as an informant to a former Imperial prisoner who would go on to become the Nerevarine and destabilize the political and religious structure of one of the most unruly Imperial provinces. He's a published author and Dwemer expert (remember, as he mentions, that all Dwemer artifacts are the personal property of the Emperor) despite his middling rank in said guild.

He's Elder Council.

Everything in Valenwood eats people. Even some of the trees.

Elder Council, really? I could see him being on the direct payroll of one of the councillors, but actually on it? Seems a bit beneath their station - they wouldn't commit to subterfuge that hard themselves as I understand them.

One of the threads running under the plot of Morrowind is the involvement of the Imperial crown and (both?) Elder Councils in the events of the realization of the prophecy of the Nerevarine. As in, why did the Emperor pardon a random prisoner and send him halfway across the continent to a backwater province? Why are the Blades helping you? What does the Nerevarine accomplish, and who does this benefit in Morrowind and abroad? How does the plot of Morrowind tie into the overarching meta-plot of the games? That of Oblivion? The Trial of Vivec? The Ra'athim?

>High Chancellor Arboretumest-Best Ud-Maniphas Segu: "Thank you in the utmost of that ideal, Ghost Choir. No doubt, we are all in a moment of woe. Let me mourn for-- all right, I'm done. I shall now invoke the name of the Hasphat and most likely we will get sidetracked by talk of the Rim."

But you are right, it's more likely that he is employed by them rather than a a seated member.

It's kinda fascinating that every game took place during the reign of Uriel VII till he died in Oblivion.

I'm a shitter so Oblivion was my first game and it didn't really have the impact on me it should have just though "Oh, the Emperor is dead" rather than "Oh shit, THE Emperor is dead."

I went Skyrim --> Morrowind --> Oblivion so that was a weird direction. Didn't have quite the same impact, since I knew the death of Uriel and Martin was inevitable, but at the same time, I was able to be disappointed by Oblivion technologically and lore-wise.

Oblivion was the first game in the series I played too. Mankar (and the implications of Mankar) is great, almost as good as Ur.

Even the events of Skyrim are set into motion by that of Oblivion (particularly regarding the Septims giving way to the Medes (and how the Elder Council was involved in that)). And those by Morrowind, Daggerfall, Redguard, Battlespire, Arena, and so forth. Arena to Oblivion (including spinoffs) is basically just one big plot, with Skyrim starting the second chapter.

Oh, and Mehrunes Dagon is totally a tragic, sympathetic villain.

I don't think I ever got far into the main quest of Oblivion, bounced around and did sidequests, expansions etc. (Never even got to the siege of Bruma in the main quest or past that dungeon on the coast in Knight of the Nine. Beat the Shivering Isles though. ) SO i'm not sure I got much interaction with Mankar.

I did however manage to turn all the races bright teal on 360 by making a teal and white Argonian.

Why is he stealing trees from... Akatosh?

I have well over 200 hours in Skyrim and I've barely touched the main quest.

I never beat Oblivion either, though I got all the way to the final attack on the Imperial City where Dagon manifests. I don't remember if I ever beat KotN, but I think I might have. Definitely beat SI too.

Read his Commentaries if you haven't. It's the saving grace of Oblivion.

>Why is he stealing trees from... Akatosh?
Close. He's stealing the kalpa from Alduin.

The Illiac Bay looks beautiful this time of year from Daggerfall, beautiful BRETON waters. Truly Kynareth has blessed this bay.

>Break the green pact turning everyone into eldritch horrors PERMANENTLY!
That's not what the Green Pact is for

I went Skyrim -> Daggerfall -> Arena -> Morrowind -> Oblivion.

The UESP wiki says to kill imps as quickly as possible in daggerfall, and they even had a skill entirely devoted to making them non-hostile.

Were they extremely powerful in DF?

And how exactly DO they fit into the lore? They're not Daedra, they have their own language and they use magic and that's all I seem to find about them.

AFAIK Impish (?) is one of the many languages you can learn in Daggerfall, all of them having the effect of potentially making enemies nonhostile.

I think they might tend to be wizards familiars? Unlike Minotaurs, there's really no lore behind them.

>Were they extremely powerful in DF?
They were annoying for the first few levels. Basic iron can't hurt them, and they're pretty strong magic users.

So you jump from being a Imperial Informant and scholar to Elder Council member?

Maybe they are one type of the feyp races, or something like hagravens (people transformed through magical means)

Not based on that information alone.

He's a "drillmaster" with all these credentials out in the middle of Nowhere, Vvardenfell because he is working for a higher authority. He personally interviewed Vivec on the latter's trip to Cyrodiil. He shows up at the Trial too. He seems to knows everyone, everywhere, is openly noted for his Imperial leanings and connections to House Hlaalu, feuds with the Temple Zero society, and totally denies that anything funny is going on.

Re:Hasphat
Oh, yeah, and, most obviously, he was present for Nu-Hatta's presentation to the Elder Council before the Oblivion Crisis.

pic related from the Daggerfall manual

As they are described as either Daedra, some form of magickal familiar, or "both" my inclination is that they are a form of Homunculi (especially seeing as they bare many physical similarities to the Homunculi in Arena).
From the Arena manual description of the Homunculus:
>A strange being created by a high level Wizard who has somehow combined the properties of certain spells with parts of various demons

Also they were fairly weak enemies in Daggerfall, only really a threat when you were a low level with crap beginner weapons.

Arena and Daggefall don't count as canon.
They're average dungeon crawlers that led to a great series.

Except they do, even though it doesn't matter either way, and even at they supply more of an explanation for Imps than Oblivion does.

wew

Try again

>Elder Council, really?
Quite likely. When Nu-Hatta requests permission to be heard before the full Elder Council, Hasphat is among the ones present, and he has speaking rights. He's just too involved to not be highly connected.

The language skills are garbage.
They're not superbly strong, but rather annoying. Since iron can't hurt them, they're another good reason to start with the ebony dagger.

Lorewise we just don't know what they are, according to the manual.

So the Elder Council is the illuminati?

No, the Elder Council is much more terrifying.

So basically a longwinded
>lol i dunno they just are :^)

So, anyone see what city this is?

Bit more mundane than the usual meta physics. I took it from the mid week thread on castles. [/spoilers]

Sierra Madre villas, Fallout: New Vegas. I win!

Uh, what exactly do you mean? Looks like the coastal city in Oblivion sorta.

Kinda reminds me of Skingrad's castle,with an Anvil color pallet

I thought it looked incredibly similar to castle skingrad...It has a similar courtyard with a well and covered walk way. I see what you mean with the tiles though

Well done you win 100 caps, don't forget to buy the Todd Howard season pass!

>tfw you will never go mountain climbing with Todd

Did you even read my post?

>See that mountain? I can climb it.

>The truth may be that both theories are correct, or that Imps are something else entirely
I was talking about the image anyway, couldn't give two shits about what your post said, but looking back it still applies since the "important" part of what you said was just assumption.
Don't get pissy just because there isn't a clear answer.

How would you react if Todd or Pete announced that MK is a fag and C0DA is retarded bullshit at D.I.C.E?

How do you think that would affect the lore community?

>How do you think that would affect the lore community?
It wouldn't.

We'd get more anti-coda shitters, but the lore is not mutually inclusive to what the franchise wants to deal with.
So basically, it wouldn't matter. Lore is lore, games is games.

What exactly is warranting you to be such an obtrusive faggot?
I realize my post was an assumption I never implied otherwise, I'm just rather confused as to why you even bothered replying to a post you didn't even read.

>How would you react if Todd or Pete announced that MK is a fag and C0DA is retarded bullshit at D.I.C.E?
I'd wake up.

>Hey what are imps?
>>We don't really know, here's some speculation
>Oh so we don't really know
>>Did you even read the post
???
Look I dunno what your baggage is, but put it back in tesg, we don't need your shitty ego here.

>continues to be needlessly hostile
>tries to make the assumption you didn't read my post seem silly even though you literally just stated you didn't read it
ok bro

Outside observer here: your post was a lot more obnoxious and unnecessary than that. We don't need your particular brand of shitposting here.

It's silly because it was implied before I stated such, and even then it was still applicable.
You're taking needless issue because I dared replied and assumed I was shitposting about you instead of just memeing the image, which still doesn't make sense because assuming my reply was about the post itself still works perfectly.
You're bitching about "not reading" as if you were talking about bananas and I replied with vintage coins.
Come back when you're off your period.

The problem is that you responded with unfunny jokes and things like "couldn't give a shit about what your post said." That's needlessly hostile, so it's not unimaginable that he got pissed in return.

If you didn't think it was funny, then that's you. No reason to get up in arms about it, just don't reply and enable it.
I became hostile because he took issue with a harmless summation as if it wasn't anywhere near the topic. He was completely off-kilter and deserved any ridicule.
The one that got pissed in return was me. If he's gonna sperg out for a joke he's better off not posting at all.

Yeah, you're right about that. It wasn't even really that bad. Anyway, his first reply to you asking if you had read his post wasn't necessarily hostile, but you responded saying you "couldn't give a shit" and claimed he was "getting pissy." Thus opening hostilities. Only then does he respond angrily.

Is Divayth Fyr the Tom Bombadill of TES? 4,000 years, extremely powerful, could probably have a huge impact on the outside world but he mostly tells everyone to fuck off so he can spend his days in his tower with his daughter-wives and his best bud fatty mclardtits.

He not jovial enough.

You know what fine I'm done with this.
I was the complete and total aggressor.
Fuck it, I actually made all these posts just to start shit with myself.
There, let's move on.

>Nerevar said, 'Is this to keep you from the fire?'
>Vivec said, 'It is so that I may see with truth. It, and my place here at the altar of Padhome in the house of False Thinking, serve so that I may see beyond my own secrets. The Water Face cannot lie. It comes from the ocean, which is too busy to think, much less lie. Moving water resembles truth by its trembling.'

Jeez, stop with the autism guys.

seems pretty jovial to me. I know i would be if I had 4 dauther wives

He's jovial, just not nearly enough.

It's more of a scholarly joviality, like, "I'm going to read those emails Seht sent me 2000 years ago for three hours and try and crack that riddle about clocks and guar he came up with."

Versus absolutely not giving a shit like Bombadill.

Any theories about Durnevhiir and why his soul is bound to the soul cairn?
Does that mean that Akatosh doesn't always has the biggest claim on the soul of a dragon/dragonborn?

Potentially. I've been thinking that dragons are basically like Prince-affiliated Daedra.

>biggest claim on the soul of a dragon/dragonborn

When they die. The problem with Durnevhiir is that he can't die anymore. His deal with the Ideal Masters fucked him up good.

Does the Elder Scrolls series have the best fantasy setting?

Lorkhan doens't seem very nice

what happened to this

Reminder the Dwemer did nothing wrong

I've got a question about the UESRPG talents. Why is it that there is no way to gain Stamina Points back quicker with an endurance-centered character, but there is for a willpower-centered character? I find this kind of odd as endurance is the characteristic that determines stamina.

My ideas for a solution would be to either change meditation to include endurance, add SP regeneration to rapid recovery and bump it up to Adept skill level, or to create a whole new talent just for SP regeneration

I AM AND ALL WILL BE ME

Because SP is a "fighter resource" primarily in that its main uses revolve around melee combat. If a fighter is dipping into Willpower in addition to his other characteristics then he's probably a spellsword type build and is at the very least less good at direct combat. In exchange we figured we would let those characters have a bit of a resource management advantage. If we just let you take it off Endurance then it would be mandatory for fighters who are likely going to have good Endurance.

I do like your suggestions, but that's the primary worry: I don't want it to be mandatory.

I think your suggestion of adding it to rapid recovery and bumping it up a talent level is probably the best one, and the one I'd be most willing to go with because it would require you to focus a bit more directly on Endurance in order to access it.

Does my explanation change your assessment at all, or do you still think it needs to be available to Endurance focused characters?

Thanks for the response, and your explanation does clear up most things! Thanks