Crusading into Not!China

So the players who are inquisitors for Not!Christianity, and are chasing a criminal into Not!China.
I'm looking for inspiration on what I can do there.
You guys know any vidya, books, movies, etc... I should watch for ideas?
Know any fun Chinese trivia that I can use to culture shock the PCs?
Any adventure ideas?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiping_Heavenly_Kingdom
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>ib4 Jade Empire
I've already played it a few times.
Not especially accurate but still a fun time.

I may just dump some images that seem china inspired.

Old folks eat eggs cooked in the urine of young boys because they say it promotes youthful vigor.

This is actually a thing in some parts of China.

There's a book by a guy who's super into world building called the China Construction Kit. I haven't read it, but it's on my list. People seem to like his World Building book, anyway.

More inscrutable obstructive bureaucracy than Franz Kafka's "The Trial".

Animated Lion-Dog statues guarding temples and offices (which are basically the same thing).

And cranky half insane old men who meditate alone in caved for decades, and hold the secrets of the universe between their wrinkly ears.

Ew, but fair 'nuff.

Thanks, I'll try check it out.

>More inscrutable obstructive bureaucracy than Franz Kafka's "The Trial".
The opening blurb I'm working on includes them being set upon my scribes and secretaries asking probing questions.

>You guys know any vidya, books, movies, etc... I should watch for ideas?

This

>At some point the inquisitors end up in the Imperial Court, faced with the imperial family and numerous well-respected prosecutors
>They're asked to state their business, as they -being foreigners- are suspected of inciting subversion to the emperor's rightful and divine rule
>The inquisitors explain themselves, stating they have no interest in China and its affairs and merely wish to punish a transgressor who hides among their people
>The emperor is inclined to believe them, but some prosecutors convince him to keep the foreigners around until it has been confirmed that these outlanders are indeed not trying to incite a revolt
>Until then they remain hostages at the imperial court, though they are treated as if they were honored guests
>The emperor wishes to learn more about the transgressor, so the inquisitors are forced to explain the details of Christian doctrine and exactly how the heretic violated them
>The emperor takes more and more interest in Christian doctrine, to the point where he even requests his court translators to create a Mandarin translation of the Bible
>After a month or so, all high prosecutors agree that the inquisitors are innocent and free to leave
>Delayed but unharmed, the inquisitors continue with their task
>After a few more months they finally find the culprit, restrain him and continue their way back to Italy
>However, the road they wish to take has been blocked by a group of rebels
>The realm of China is now in a gruesome civil war, fought out between the Court Faction who wishes to maintain the status quo, and the Imperial Faction which has not only converted to Christianity but claims the emperor himself is the brother of Christ

In case you think this is implausible.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiping_Heavenly_Kingdom

I can use some of this. Thanks.

Welp. Just watched episode 1.
Defiantly going to watch more.
Not sure if it's good but it's defiantly fun.
>Weeb action Thunderbirds.

If you are into anime you can check these to get ideas

Akatsuki no Yona
Souten Koro (this one is nice because it has some vision in politics, punishment and social stuff)
Kingdom
Saiounkoku Monogatari
12 Kingdoms
Fusigi Yuugi

I recommend the first one because is shorter than the others

Bunraku, user, bunraku.

It is both good and fun

Is it really bunraku if the puppets are Taiwanese?

Yona is anime Korean drama, not anime Chinese drama.

Alternatively:

>Pursuing heretic. Manage to piss off local millita/gang who are heavily into martial arts and don't like Not-Christians anyway. The martial arts gangs take their anger out on some local Not-Christians and missionaries.
>Not-Christian states don't like this and launch reprisals.
>Not-Chinese martial arts gangs and not-Chineese officials step up persecution.
>Heretic and Party are both seen as just "Not-Christian" by by the martial arts gangs (who have been nicknamed "fist-fighters" by the Not-Christians.)
>Both start heading south at a fair pace and with a measure of desperation.
>The Not-Christian states are sensing an opportunity and arrived in force to try and carve themselves off a piece of not-China.
>They're busy smashing cities and looting them bare.
>Apprehend hertic at the pier. Drag him back to not-Vatican.
>A somewhat sarcastic Not-Cardinal asks the party how their mission went.

Not!Europeans find out Not!Chinese boil and skin dogs alive. They start a genocidal campaign against the Not!Chinese and start industrially skinning and boiling every single fucking one they come across.

>Not!Europeans find out Not!Chinese boil and skin dogs alive.
>Not!Chinese find out Not!Europeans forcefeed geese until their livers are bloated
>And thus began a neverending friendship

When they get to the court they should find that the not!Russians had a well established diplomatic mission there for years and never told anyone