mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

Previous Thread:
Let's post pictures of familiars edition.

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/610955844918886400
bbc.com/news/health-34039054
youtube.com/watch?v=ltxENq91Ma4
twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/557820938402947072
twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/557823175581769729
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I should really make variant rules for weird familiars one of these days. Outside of Chain Pact warlock, the familiars that exist are pretty vanilla.

Not that user, but Magic Missile does work funkily with Twilight Druid.

How does someone know you're a wizard unless you roll into town with something REALLY weird on your shoulder?

Usually you don't want to let everyone know that you are a wizard, because that just means that the DM will target you like a goddamn cruise missile in every encounter.

How's this for a Harpoon Gun?

>Harpoon Gun 1d12 piercing 20 lb. Ammunition (range 50/200), heavy, reload (1 shot), two-handed, special

Special. A harpoon fired by this weapon embeds itself on the target. A creature can make a DC 20 Constitution saving throw at the end of each of its turns to free itself from the harpoon. It can also use its action to make a DC 15 Strength check with the same purpose.

Ammunition. The ammunition of the harpoon gun is a harpoon with 50 feet of silk rope attached to its end. One single piece of ammunition costs 20 gp and is difficult to find.

Thanks to a response from one user in the previous thread, I'm now considering to add the option to make one single more powerful attack as an action with a 10ft pushback and Str save against knocked prone, for Large or smaller creatures. Good? Bad?

Isn't a harpoon gun usually mounted on something? Or are you talking about the modern, underwater diving version?

Is it possible to DM if you don't like roleplaying in-character (as in, speaking in first person and doing voices and talking to yourself when two NPCs converse)?

It'd probably be a really dry game. Imagine a world in which no one acted like a person.

You might be able to do a hack-n'-slash dungeon crawl that way.

Adding a different voice helps a lot with differentiating NPC's, so I'd suggest that you work on being able to do that. It's not super necessary, but it does help for the overall feel and such.

Taking to yourself/NPC's talking to eachother can be worked around by just doing something like "the two men step into a backroom, you hear some muffled conversation but nothing you can discern" or something similar.

This. Also remember that body language is important, if you're at a physical table. You don't have to do voices, but think about how a tavernkeep would carry himself, as opposed to a spoiled princeling.

On conversations between two people: I always have something like "you can hear them arguing loudly over whose turn it is to pay the tab, and [Insight check] you think you might have heard one of them name-drop a local crime boss."

How would one roll a harvest-themed druid with an awakened watermelon familiar?

>talking to yourself when two NPCs converse
I think that's generally something to avoid, as the other anons said. One of our players tried DMing for a bit and by far the worst part of the experience was listening to his NPCs fucking yak exposition at each other for minutes on end.

I keep it to five lines of NPC-to-NPC dialogue, max, and that's only on the rare occasion something super important is happening, like a personal betrayal, or discussing who gets to eat the PCs.

>try my hand at DMing
>players complain that I'm descriptive enough and they don't feel interested in the world
>never figure out what they need from me
>accept that I'm not cut out for DMing and go back to being a player
> bbc.com/news/health-34039054

Suddenly it all makes so much fucking sense

I'm talking about a mechanical (possibly gnomish) contraption that is similar to a heavy crossbow, only a bit bigger. So I guess somewhere between those two?

Anons? Long story short, I've been wanting to work out some new subraces for the tiefling inspired by Pathfinder's "purebred" tieflings - yes, yes, I know the system is shit, but the lore can be interesting.

Anyway, I could really use some help making the results balanced. Like, this is my current writeup of the Shackleborn, the Kyton Tiefling, and I'm pretty confident it's massively overpowered as it is.

For a reminder, the "core race" traits for Tiefling are +2 Charisma, Medium size, Speed 30 feet, and Darkvision.

Shackleborn Tiefling Subrace
Ability Score Increase: +1 Constitution
Pain is Pleasure is Pain: When a shackleborn is at half or less of its maximum hit point total, it gains Advantage on attack rolls and skill checks. This bonus is lost if it is healed above half of its maximum hit point total.
Love The Lash: A shackleborn is Proficiency with the Whip and the Spiked Chain.

So like this, then?

youtube.com/watch?v=ltxENq91Ma4

>core tiefling
>+2 CHA
>basically a ribbon ability

>your tiefling
>+1 CON
>advantage on everything every turn forever when under half HP

Not exactly how I picture its appearance, but the way it works looks about right!

Running a TES game using 5e.
So I had to alter the races slightly.
Also it's a Mer campaign.

High elf gets disadvantage against poison and disseases but an extra lvl 1 spell slots for every 4 caster levels (a minimum of one).

Wood elf gets a +1 on all rolls with bows.
But get a reputation feature where everyone takes them for cannibals I.e. a -1 on all social rolls against all non-wood elves.

Dark elves are reworked for fire resistance and can summon a CR1 /2 spectral ancestral warrior to fight at their side once per long rest.

Orcs get blacksmithing and heavy armour proficiency.

Dwarves don't exis any longer.

Falmer get a -2 Cha.
Perma blind.
+3 Dex and blindsight (10ft), advantage on all checks relying on hearing.

Maromer get +2 Dex +1 Con.
Aquatic(waterbreathing at will and a swim speed of 30ft).
Proficiency with Spears, Tridents, Daggers, Shortswords.

Khajeet
+2 Dex, +1 Cha
Unarmed damage die 1d4 slashing usable with either Str or Dex.
30ft movement.
Fey ancestry.
Thieves tools proficiency.

>+1 on all rolls with bows.
>-1 on all social rolls

This sort of roll modifiers goes against the 5e design ethos.

Can somebody please explain to me how the Harpers are good guys? Their goals seem utterly chaotic stupid to me.

No. Magic missile only makes one roll for all the missiles. Check sage advice if you're still unsure, but /5eg/ has had this topic come up a lot as it's rather counterintuitive, though it does vaguely make sense.

You get 2 level 5 spell slots at level 10.
You have 10d10s at level 10, if I remember right.

Twice a day, you may cast two level 5 magic missiles with +5d10 damage.

That's an average of 3.5 (Normal damage) + 27.5 (bonus damage) over 3 (level 1 magic missile) + 4 (upcasted to 5) missiles.

7*(31) = 217 force damage, automatically hits.

You deal 217 fucking force damage, twice a day.

Your DM should not allow this.

>a 20 on a death saving throw represents an anime power up and counts as a long rest

That's assuming I'd blow half of my pool on a single spell.

You and the other guy seem to be under the impression that I'll attempt to go full "9th level magic missile dump my entire pool" type of play to invalidate the other players fun.
The entire premise of the build, as stated earlier, is to be a TPK denier and having a decent nuke helps that a lot since it's another tool to use.

I'd at most use 3d10 on a magic missile, and that's in emergency situations.

Also, how in the fuck are you getting 217 average damage out of 5d10 + 5d4 + 5 assuming casting at a level that enables 5 missiles?

Am I just retarded?

No matter how you look at it, it's a 'I have nuclear weapons, but I'm choosing not to be better than everybody else because I'm too cool for that.'

Maybe that's fine, but it just feels so morally wrong. It also brings about the question when you do use it, 'If you can do that why don't you just win every encounter for us? Why aren't you doing your best?'

There's no reason to not use 5d10 at a time other than 'I'd overkill everything' or 'I don't want to be TOO good.'

It's pretty much like having a 'cheat' button right in front of you. It's just better to play the game without the cheat button, even if you only half-use the cheat.

You only roll magic missile's damage once then apply it to all magic missiles.

>counts as a long rest
what?

>There's no reason to not use 5d10 at a time other than 'I'd overkill everything' or 'I don't want to be TOO good.'
I'm guessing you've decided to not actually read anything about my actual use of said tool, otherwise you'd already know the answer to this.
To put it shortly however, the character is built as a TPK avoider. Also, you seem to be under the impression that we'd start at level 10, since that's what you're pulling the example from.
At level 4 for example, you'd get a whopping 3d4+3+1d10.

>You only roll magic missile's damage once then apply it to all magic missiles.
Yes. Which means at lvl 10, I'd have 9 D10's to allocate.

Let's say I drop a magic missile with 5 missiles.
This gives me 5d10 + 5d4 + 5. Which is an absolute maximum of 71.
The second cast of it, would give me 4d10 + 5d4 + 5, which has a maximum of 61.

Where, in this, do you get an average of 217 damage per day?
When the maximum of both casts combined, is 132?

It doesn't multiply the damage die.

This is what ruins homebrew for everyone else.

They can tell you dumped Strength, aren't wearing armor, and don't have a martial weapon on you.

If it helps, you weren't descriptive enough to include the word "not" in ">players complain that I'm descriptive enough" so I had no idea what you were on about.

To elaborate, you have a POOL LIMIT of putting let's say 5d10 into a magic missile.

That doesn't become 5d10x3+1d4x3+1x3, because you have a resource LIMIT of ONLY HAVING 5d10 at that point. It can't multiply since it has nothing to pull from.

Is Prismatic Wall a good spell ?

Why do people always make homebrews so broken? Just follow the format of the official stuff. Is there any race that gives advantage like that? Its so powerful.

At level 4 you'd get 4*(3.5+11) = 58 damage unless you purposely held back. It's not as ridiculous, but it's still overpowered.

You can ask your DM for the ability to summon an angel and obliterate as many enemies of your choosing twice a day and then only use it to kill half the enemies in only one encounter every day, but isn't that kind of a bit stupid?

It does multiply the damage dice. This has been established many times before - evocation wizard's ability and other 'increase damage' abilities benefit magic missile in a multiplicative fashion. Again -
twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/557820938402947072
You roll the damage once.

It's not 217 a day. It's 434 if you want to go for 'per day'.
If you have a grave cleric of level 2 assisting you with an action, you can up that damage to 868 a day if it's against a single target. At level 10. But we'll assume we're not going maximum bullshit.

Also, at level 10 you can use 7 magic missiles at a time if you want, 5 missiles would be a level 3 magic missile spell. And when you can just nuke entire encounters, you might as well use level 5 magic missiles. Also 10d10 to allocate with up to 5d10 per spell since you'd be level 10 at this point.

Just for fun, I'd like to point out that even if it doesn't ever happen, at level 20 you can do 1287 damage a day with it without a grave cleric supporting you. That aside, it's overpowered right from the first time you can do it at level 2.

>I'm pretty confident it's massively overpowered as it is.
No fucking shit
>+2 Cha
>Darkvision
>+1 con
These are okay
>Advantage on DAMN NEAR EVERY CHECK while under half hp
Holy shit drop that. Get some damn Temp HP after dropping a certain amount or something jesus.

Whoops, sorry, my bad, it is 9d10 because 1 level multiclass.
Unless you get a wand of magic missile somehow.

I'm about to watch a run through of lost mine of phandelver before I DM it. Who do you suggest I watch?

>evocation wizard's ability and other 'increase damage' abilities benefit magic missile in a multiplicative fashion.
I think you're getting a bit too caught up on that seeing as the Evocation wizard doesn't have a LIMITED pool of int modifiers to pull from.

The Druid ability has a set pool, thus it can't magically pull more damage dice from a pool that has a SET number of dice.
A modifier can be multiplied by magic missile, that's fine, that is an infinite resource. A set pool of dice you can add doesn't magically become MORE dice.

That's just not how it works when it's about a limited resource.

The official one is pretty good but they stop before getting all that far in.

Daily fucking reminder that multiclassing and UAs don't mix

My Ranger/Mystic/Gunsmith is breddy good though.

Got a sweet gun, HP out the wazoo, favored enemy, tons of utility...

You roll the dice and add it to the damage.

Your evocation wizard modifier is whatever you just rolled on your dice.

"Roll the spent dice and add them to the damage as necrotic damage"
Compare to
"Beginning at 10th leveI, you can add your intelligence modifier to the damage roll of any wizard evocation spell you cast."

When you add to magic missile's damage, you don't add to the total damage after the magic missiles have hit, but rather you simply increase the damage.

The only way this wouldn't work is if 'add to the damage roll' and 'add to the damage' were different, but in fact 'damage roll' and 'damage' is interchangable for most uses.

This pretty much.

Are you just pretending ?

It's legitimately pretty sweet. The stat spread isn't that bad.

>Your evocation wizard modifier is whatever you just rolled on your dice.
Wot? Evocation wizard modifier is a static X(whatever your int is).

It still doesn't function as it's pulling from a limited pool. When you have a theoretical maximum of 9d10 you can use per day, you can't magically turn that into 27d10.

But how else am I going to recreate my Pathfinder multiclass prestige template "God Crusher Slaying Demon Sword Style Monster Golem" character?

I'm sure the next Paladin or Wizard UA will allow for that pure-classed.

Once you've rolled the druid dice, it's a static. X. The fact it's not static before rolling doesn't really change anything - you roll it and add it to the damage, much like how you don't roll and then add evocation wizard's ability to the damage.

You're not turning it into 27d10 because you're only rolling up to 9d10 unless you use it on a crit attack roll. Instead, you're just applying the dice multiple times like an area of effect.

Say, you cast fireball. You roll 8d6 damage and apply that damage (half on save) to everybody. What do you think happens if you add 5d10 to it? Normally, you should do 8d6+5d10 for the damage roll then apply it to everybody. Yes, you've just made 5d10 do more damage than just 5d10, but that's how it is.

That doesn't multiply the 5d10 you're adding to the Fireball spell. That's just 5d10 that applies to multiple targets.

How you're saying it should work with a limited pool resource, is that you add 5d10 to a magic missile that does for example 5d4 + 5, and turn it into 5d10x3, magically making more d10's appear despite it being far and above your maximum per day.

That may be how Magic Missile itself functions in regards to modifiers if you roll it as one damage, but when a limited pool applies, you can't "stretch" that pool by saying "that's how the spell works".

That'd be like saying that Smite should apply to both the melee attack and the Thundering Smite for free for example since it's both "a single attack".

Honestly, we could probably drop this discussion for the sake of our sanities, as we can't seem to agree on how to interpret the synergy in question.

I personally can't agree that damage pulled from a limited resource should be "stretched" due to how a spell works. Let's just leave it at that I suppose.

This also drastically cuts the effectiveness of said combo, thus meaning that the build I was thinking of is a lot more okay.

To quote the rules master once more -
twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/557823175581769729
"Yep. It's one damage roll, just like fireball, but that roll can damage the same target more than once."

It is not 5d4+5.
It is not 5d10 to every missile.

It's 1d4+1 and 5d10 once. It's like an area damage spell - you roll the damage, and then apply. You don't roll damage for every single target/missile.

Holy fuck how are we still going back and forth on Magic Fucking Missile.

I think the easiest thing to say is just 'You cannot use twilight druid's dice on any non-druid spells'
This keeps any unintentional broken stuff from happening by using it on magic missiles or fireball or something. Even if you avoid using it on magic missile, there's still the case of fireball. And if you avoid the case of fireball, you're saying you then can't use it on Druid's AoEs, which I imagine it's intentional you might be able to use it on druid's AoEs. Though honestly if you go out of your way to get fireball from another class then it's probably deserved since that's 5 levels into wizard. Magic missile is the problem - it's a 1 level dip.

Maybe the entire feature needs rewording to 'you can apply Xd10 damage to an enemy damaged by one of your spells'.

Because DnD is retarded and spells take up half the fucking PHB

Because no matter how many times 5eg explains it there's still people who don't understand it

Example of broken builds?

Almost anything with a single level dip of UA Revised Ranger.

Almost anything with a single level dip of UA Shadow Sorcerer.

Oathbreaker.

Nuclear Ghandi / Nuclear Druid

Oh, and don't forget tunnelfighter abuse or taking the +1 to attack rolls, no disadvantage at 5ft on a sorlockfighter.

Is nuclear Ghandi the Twilight druid + Arcana cleric?

Speaking of, can people post more stupid "broken" builds that you can do in 5e?
I'm talking
>double lance wielding, vulture riding, halfling rangers
>20 ft melee bugbear fighters
>goodberry life clerics

Nuclear Ghandi is the magic missile abuse, but using tranquility monk instead. Usually with 2 fighter levels for action surge.

>get capstone feature
>use reaction when enemy drops something to 0
>get really fucking pissed
>holding a wand of magic missile
>+18 to all damage rolls
>cast magic missile
>action surge
>drop magic missile wand
>draw another wand
>cast magic missile again
>conquer the earth
>make people manufacture more wands of magic missile
>bonus points for grave cleric doubling damage
And then someone realized that you could also do this with tranquility druid.

>goodberry life clerics

What makes this so good?

Each goodberry now heals for 4 instead of 1?
You get healed for 3 whenever someone eats one?

idungetit

Aegis of Shielding

At 1st level, you excel at protecting your allies from harm and mitigating damage from enemy attacks. When you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack, the target is marked by you until the end of your next turn.

The marked target has disadvantage on any attack roll against a creature other than you or someone else who marked it.

If a target is marked by you is within 5 feet of you on its turn and it makes an attack that suffers disadvantage from this feature and hits an ally, you can use your reaction to reduce the damage dealt to your ally by half.

As you progress in levels, you get sword of sigils and others on top of it, but these can only be used a limited amount per day and are then expended, refreshing with a short or long rest.

Thoughts please?

>50ft rope
>200 ft range

Nah

It's one of those things that you do when you have a pisser DM and you just want to unbalance low-level sessions.
Think of it this way, you spend a level 1 slot to heal for 40HP in a day.
Cure wounds has an average of 4.5+WIS healing, at +3, that's 7.5 healing.
Goodberry heals 10 hp.
Life Clerics quadruple the amount of healing. That's pretty big, especially if you can convince your DM that popping a berry in your mouth should just take a bonus/free action.

Sounds like something fighter would take a level dip in, so that a PAMGWM fighter can make a ton of attacks and mark everything.

Not that that's so bad unless you consider just how tanky a fighter can get by stacking AC. But I suppose it only grants diadvantage on attacks and monsters can still use non-attacks, so it balances out.

Probably fine enough.

Change the advantage rule to like 10% or come up with something better. Otherwise you're just a straight glass cannon all the time.

>free action

And anyway, at best your DM might let you consume a whole handful of them as an action.

Except as the actual SageAdvice says about Magic Missile, you can either roll 1d4+1 and have that apply to all three, or roll three seperate dice.
Hence, it doesn't work.

I'd more say that Magic Missile needs a rewording since that is really the only problem child, as it is the only spell that CAN function as "roll 1d4+1 and mirror that two more times".

Either way, surely you get what I mean.
A single spell slot is enough to heal a standard level 1 character 4 times over.

Spellbook
Spell component pouch (probably have it visible if you want easy access)
Arcane focus (staff/wand/whatever)
Robes
Scrolls

If there's a guy rolling with an adventurer crew who doesn't have any martial weapons or armor, he's probably a caster. And if he's also a nerd, he's probably a wizard.

Explain yourself.

Automatic with no saving throw, can be used every turn?

Seems a bit broken

OP OP OP OP OP

By the 'you can roll 3d4+3' they mean 'nothing breaks if you roll 3d4+3 instead, so go ahead and do that if you'd like'. Just because he said it's fine to do it another way doesn't mean the normal rulings such as evocation wizard doesn't work.

They could have worded it better, honestly.

Thanks heaps dude, nice, so it's not so broken; at that level it can only reduce damage.
I was also going to fold the other aegis of shielding effects into it, but then it could potentially get too powerful.

As is, what might your thoughts on its power source? ie, should it be made into a feat? Or something the fighter/bladesinger/EK can swap out an existing class feature?

Typically, granting disadvantage has no save throw.
That's how 5e works. For example, bear barbarian's level 14 feature automatically causes all enemies within 5ft to have disadvantage against any target other than themself. No save throw.

Personally though I think the marking feature shouldn't be a level 1 feature.. Probably.

In what way?
You can't use it to make attacks, only reduce damage on attacks to your allies. Are you a team player?

>They could have worded it better, honestly.
Aye, but such is the life of DnD. RAW vs RAI and the people who try to abuse it.

I wanna run an adventure featuring Gnolls for a 3rd party. I'm DMing for the first time. Give me plot ideas.

Spectators are normally guardians of a lair of some kind, right?

Do they have a room they rest in? What kind of stuff would be in that room? How would it be decorated? What do they eat? Just curious what the lifestyle of a creature that stands guard in a dungeon like that is like.

It's to good

Please see I could make it 3rd level as per what marking seems to be in 5e. If we stick with the 1st level aegis, I could also include the caveat that you are replacing a class feature, but dunno how well that'll go down.

>3rd level party
fix'd

See

Gnoll warband is expanding territory, fucking things up for locals. Hilarity ensues.

How does the sorlockfighter work with tunnel fighter?

To be honest, I wasn't happy with the format it's got anyway. I think that there's a valid basis in the "if the Shackleborn is hurt sufficiently, it gets a boost" concept, but how to implement it is just... I don't know.

It literally only looks the way it does because I figured "hey, Advantage never stacks, so getting a boost to attack rolls at less than half health would be fair; it means you're good at hitting someone whilst beaten down, but only if you're willing to put yourself at risk of dying if somebody does land a subsequent hit".

All that's really coming to me as a hopefully better alternative is this:

Fueled By Agony: If you take damage in your turn, you can gain Advantage to one attack roll or ability saving throw of your choice made before the end of your next turn. You can use this trait a number of times equal to your Constitution modifier (minimum of 1), and then must take a long rest before you can use the ability again.

Alternatively, maybe go for some kind of boost at low HP comboed with the ability to get temp HP by dropping enemies in combat?

Just realized you have to actually hit the creature, not just make an attack. That makes it a little less powerful than it was in my head, and sorta balances out.
I might say 'an enemy becomes unmarked if you move 30ft away from it' (But not if they move away from you) to avoid weird mobility things where they hit everything and then run away from where the enemies can hit you.

With that, it might be fine as a feat or as.. It might work for fighting style, just wondering if ti's too strong for that. After all, you lose out on a potential +1 AC if you take it instead as a fighting style. Hm.. If it were a fighting style, I might limit it to one enemy marked.

It doesn't. Tunnel fighter abuse and close combat sorlockfighter are two different things, especially when you consider both of them use different fighting styles.

Tunnel fighter abuse likely uses sneak attack or booming blade or PAM in order to do crazy damage reaction attacks or just tonnes of them.

Too good in what way?