/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

Legendary creatures edition! (Bonus for cards made with Commander in mind.)

To make cards online, register for free here:
mtg.design/
or download MSE for free from here:
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post your shitty card!
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources.
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

So, someone brought up Jade Blossom/Golem. If that other user's translation is correct, let's try
>Create an X/X colorless Golem artifact creature, where X is 1 plus the number of cards named Jade Blossom in your graveyard.
And I don't entirely remember if this is accurate from the brief time I played Hearthstone, but I guess the empty mana crystal bit would be
>Create a tapped land token with "T: Add C to your mana pool."

You get a jade counter then create a 0/0 green artifact construct token with x +1/+1 counter on it where x is the number of jade counters you contol

Only changes in wording. I was wondering if I should have it exclude artifact/enchantment creatures, but that seems too complex. And I don't think they'd be too keen on artifact creatures anyway.

>You get a jade counter. Create an X/X green Construct artifact creature token, where X is the number of jade counters you have.

I believe the only change to this is that it's slightly 1 cheaper. I was more excited for this when I first came up with it, but after thinking about the weaknesses, I'm still wondering if it's worth pursuing.

Excuse me, do you guys have time to talk about our lord and savior, the classic sixth edition?

No changes. The only feedback I remember is someone said that giving her Flying might be too good. If it is, I'll adjust the cost. Oh, and I doubt I could get away with it, but I was wondering about maybe giving her one-sided Fight instead of regular Fight. Or perhaps add artifact/enchantment hate. She just seems kinda sparse right now is all.

Well, what about 6E do you like?

>Doom Guidance
I'm sorry, but this is some of the worst wording I've ever seen. I'm really having a hard time understanding what you're trying to do. I get that it's inspired by Doomsday, but still. Anyway, I don't think losing half your life total is a good idea. On any card, really. Maybe you lose X life?

Well, I'm off to work. Won't be able to post cards for a while. Here's this in case anyone wants to use it.

And as for the edition, is there any character from comics anyone would like me to tackle? I'd really like to see what characters get suggested that I haven't tried yet.

The original 4 Homesick characters.

Is not that hard to read:
Step one: shuffle your graveyard into your library, then remove X cards from it.
Step two: put the cards of your library into your graveyard, then put the cards you had remove in your library.

Basically he wants to take X cards among their library and/or graveyard and make them his or her library at the price of half his or her life plus X{B}{B}

>Search your graveyard and library for X cards and exile them, then put your library into your graveyard. Put the exiled cards on top of your library in any order. You lose half your life, rounded down.

An instant that reselects a target at random, but excludes you and permanents you control.

Is it a workable concept?

>Choose target spell that could target an opponent, a spell an opponent controls, or a permanent an opponent controls. Reselect its targets at random. If it targets you, a spell you control, or a permanent you control, repeat this process.

Is my first pass at it, but god is it ugly.

>Change the target of target spell or ability with a single target to an opponent or a permanent an opponent controls chosen at random.

I keep forgetting to exclude webcomics. OK, I will attempt those characters, but only if I can find enough info about them from something other than the webcomic. Not reading 500+ pages of MSPaint.

Ugh, yeah, I don't think I can do this, sorry. Just trying to learn about the characters is going to take me forever.

Another retro card, based on the weird Sentinel.

This is also terrible wording.

This is much better, though still far from perfect. But if all the cards that aren't chosen are going to the graveyard anyway, why even bother with exile?
>Put all cards from your library into your graveyard, then put up to X cards from your graveyard on top of your library in any order. You lose half you life total, rounded up.

Oh shit, I forgot to restrict the ability! Ugh, imagine it has a once per turn clause on it.

Everything I see from Homestruck makes me even more glad that I never got into it.

Don't think I got feedback for this. For those of you who watched Teen Titans, this is the guy who blew into a horn that opened portals, which I tried to represent here with tuck. Though I'm honestly wondering about altering the ability to allow it to give you the option of dumping the creature in an array of different zones.

Not a big fan of how it lets you gain control of a creature, I'll be honest. I mean, the effect is cool, but seems like too much for this card. Like, if you took the effect and made an Instant out of it, I'd like to see that.

Seems absolutely disgusting in Commander.

Except MS Paint Adventures was actually good, before Hussy went off the deep end. It was just absurdist enough to work.

Why yes, I'll take 75% of a Prophet of Kruphix and 50% of a Consecrated Sphinx, with the durability of an Enchantment at half the cost.

This is
>WU, T: Target opponent draws the same permanent for the rest of the game.
This is a 3 or 4 mana effect normally, given Unexpectedly Absent really pushed the bar for the cost. Now make it repeatable? On a 3-drop? Hot damn.

Don't think I got any feedback for this design. I'd been trying to giver her a second ability besides flicker for a while, and I liked the idea of making her a repeatable O-Ring. Let me know if it needs to be rebalanced.

>Herald
Hrm, whoops, didn't think that through. I guess... the permanent gets shuffled into its owner's library instead? I mean, I realize I'd have to recost it for that, but what about the idea?

>I guess... the permanent gets shuffled into its owner's library instead?
Probably better. Shuffling in is removal, yes, but repeated topping can force an opponent to just... not play permanents at all. Either they keep playing it and it keeps getting bounced, or they don't play anything so they can see new cards and get Time Walked.

She's expensive and fragile, so its probably fine. Thank you for using the new O-Ring wording, or otherwise she'd be broken.

only patricians will understand this card

kinda strong, needs a downside like cooldown

Deadshot. No change from last time. Trying to get across the idea that he's very good at filling people with bullets, which basically means pinging. I'm just having a bit of a hard time getting that across, I think. Also, you could consider the use of the counters as a sort of politics tool, encouraging player not to piss you off.

Oh my god that guy was an asshole. And no, I'm never going to forgive FF for siding with him.

Curator of Connections 1UU
Creature- Vedalken Wizard
T: Search your library for a card with the same mana cost as target spell, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library. (Mana cost includes color.)
2/2

Grave Mistake 3BG
Sorcery
Return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield. It gains "When this creature dies, add BG to your mana pool" until end of turn and fights target creature.

Blind Tutor 2BR
Sorcery
Reveal your library, then turn it facedown. Choose a card from it, then put that card into your hand. Shuffle your library.

Eidetic Tutor 1UB
Sorcery
Reveal your library.
Search your library for a card and put it into your hand.
Reveal your library.

Curator is clever. Blind and Eidetic Tutors are obnoxious. Grave Mistake seems confused, and has memory issues.

Basically what said, both the tutors are just a pain in the ass. No amount of clever design can justify that level of obnoxiousness. And yes, Grave Mistake needs to decide if it wants to actually recur a creature or just deal damage.

Curator is interesting. I was going to say it would be really useful to fetch counterspells until I noticed that it searches for cards with the exact same mana cost, which really restricts what it can do.

Blind and Eidetic tutor were mostly jokes in the first place. Grave Mistake didn't originally have the mana back clause, but I figured it needed something to sweeten the pot. Is there something I'm missing from just "Return target creature card from a graveyard to the battlefield, it fights target creature"?
Curator is deliberately funky, though at the very least you can use it to keep grabbing the same spell several times in a row. Also forgot the reveal clause.

Not sure about wording, or power level. Whatever, I find the idea cool enough to post it.

Consider Whip of Erebos, and how it bent the standard meta while it was legal.

I think it's not quite the same use. You can reanimate anything, which is very powerful, but that creature can't be used for attacking, so it'd better have an insane effect.

you shouldn't get the creature at the end (unless its yours)

It's also much cheaper and doesn't tap to do so, and does it at instant speed. Fetches Gary out of the graveyard whenever you want. Grabs their Snapcaster from the yard when you want it. Heck, incidentally usable to clean creatures out of their graveyard for a reasonable price.
There's plenty of things that are insane enough that BB is too little to get them out of the yard for.

Not synchronicity? (i really like this)

pay UW, tap: target opponent never draws a card again?

"Untap Floyd whenever you cast a spell"

I thought about these situations and I think I'm fine with that power level. Maybe BBB at best.

as a black player you are, how about as a red one?

I'd make it 2BB for a reason, and cheaper on the front end, but your card, your shenanigans.
Imagine a little ramping into a Griselbrand turn three.

Have you done Spawn?

aside from the fact that it is meant as a joke, i dont actually think it is that strong, as youd first need to draw it, any shuffle effect fucks you up and as it costs 4 mana it cant even fix your early game. youd also need to know the matchup you are in perfectly to balance active and reactive cards.

>Is there something I'm missing from just "Return target creature card from a graveyard to the battlefield, it fights target creature"?
It feels awkward. Like, what you want to recur is restricted by what you want to Fight, and vice versa. Like, you might want to recur a utility creature, but it's so fragile every creature your opponents control will kill it in a Fight. Or you can recur something with enough power to kill something an opponent has, but it has low toughness so it'll die too. So why was it even recurred in the first place, why didn't the spell just deal damage? If you want to keep both effects on one card, I'd recommend changing it to something like
>Choose one or both —
>• Return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield.
>• You may have a creature you control fight target creature an opponent controls. (Alternatively, maybe "Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control this turn, you may have it fight target creature an opponent controls.")

>flying, has, and can't attack.
Why not use Defender? Anyway, I really agree with the other user, this is too good, it's just going to be used to repeatedly abuse the shit out of ETB and LTB effects. Also, it still allows utility creatures to be used, so activated abilities still work. Oh yeah, and if the point is to just recur stuff with it, you don't really need an equip ability. And Wizards likes using the "unattached from a permanent" wording, probably to get around manlands.

>Herald
Another user already pointed that out to me. I'll probably change it to shuffle the permanent instead.

>Deadshot
Wait, really? I'd always thought adding an untap ability to him might be too good.

A while ago, yes. That said, looking at it now, I don't really like it that much. I'll try it again later. I've actually been trying a few cards not from DC or Marvel. It's just difficult sometimes due to a lack of information about the characters.

>"Return target creature card from a graveyard to the battlefield, it fights target creature"
The spell needs a second target to fight or you can't reanimate. Just stick an "up to one target" in there.

Seems like too much for a common. Not really a fan of the way it lets you cast the card either, feels like it would be easy to abuse with multiple or a way to copy it.

Relevant thread to repost this design

the second ability needs to be part of the first

What said. It needs to gain the ability after it becomes a copy.
>You may have ~ enters the battlefield as a copy of any creature on the battlefield, except it gains "The 'legend rule' doesn't apply to creatures with the same name as this creature."

I really don't understand the Flashback cost. I mean, I understand how it works, I'm just not sure why you chose it. Does remind me of this card I made though.

Sense the effect lingers till your next turn there is a good chance your opponent will swing at you back, putting you low.

>Phoenix
This is super spicy and well designed. It feels a little over costed.

Interesting drawback, though it's probably too swingy - when your opponent is screwed you make it even worse by taking cheap spells.

This was a result of my thinking about inserting the Creature from the Black Lagoon into Innistrad, which I thought could make for an interesting, Gothic horror take on Merfolk. (Though now that I think about it, are kinda similar to the Surrakar. But I'm not going to dignify that type by using.)

>Sense the effect lingers till your next turn there is a good chance your opponent will swing at you back, putting you low.
Huh, didn't notice that it was until next turn. But then why would you use it if you think your opponent is going to hurt you with it? I don't play much Magic, but why would you use it in the first place if you didn't think you could win during your current turn? Though this is probably just me having a hard time grasping the thoughts of Suicide Red. (Hmm, I feel like that would make a good name for a character or something.)

>Lifeflame Phoenix
Well, I guess I could bump off a R from the costs. And thanks! It was actually made for an user who was asking about taking the flavor of Phoenixes and applying them mechanically to players (think Angel's Grace), and I pointed out how you'd really only be able to get away with something like that on some flashy mythic. Which lead to a few of us making flashy mythics. It was pretty fun actually.

>Cruel Injury
Hmm. Seems interesting, but I'm not sure how it would actually play. Though it looks like something that could really hurt players who are mana screwed.

It's hard to say. The idea is, if your opponent is getting land flooded they get to protect their relevant cards, and only gets them punished if they don't have lands and only threats.
I think a discard spell that is sometimes completely useless is fair compared to the power level of the average discard spell.
I think I'll make it only hit cards of CMC 4 or less.

>Lurker
This would be really good in an innistrad block limited pool. I like the design. I kind of wish it was, "when hit, target player mills" sense UB in those blocks liked to auto mill sometimes.

>How would you use Double down?
It would mostly be used as a finisher yeah.

>Cruel fucks over mana screwed even more
I mean tbfair you already lose if you get mana screwed.

one mana legendary edition

That's some good shit right there. Degenerate filth in multiplayer, but it's a beautiful design.

There's nothing WRONG with this, but the design would be much more elegant if you just picked one of those abilities (the second one). Resist the urge to fill the text box on every card, /co/-sama.

gud b8/10
needs "enters the battlefield untapped"

I like this design. I'd like it more if it cost something like, 1RR and didn't have haste.

Rebound might be too oppressive? Flashback: G might be cool.

This should be rare. Love the design, otherwise.

>regenerate
boo, get with the times! temporary indestructible is the new hotness. If it was me, I'd ditch the ability entirely. There's enough going on here already, blah blah
You should do The Authority!

Too cheap, and nothing about it really feels demonic.

Neat.

I think 4RRR is a perfectly appropriate cost for a 15+/5 haste flier. Mythic as FUCK

this is a perfectly fine uncommon

this is a perfectly fine uncommon and I like the design quite a bit

>I kind of wish it was, "when hit, target player mills" sense UB in those blocks liked to auto mill sometimes.
Hmm, well, I could change it. I guess I'm attached to restricting combat damage triggers to affect that opponent or something that opponent has.

>sense
I thought the first time you used this was a typo, but I guess not. Is English your first language? The right word here is "since" not "sense".

>Veilborn Prosecutor
I don't think you strictly need W to make this work, but it looks fun.

>Phantom Lady
Yeah, I know, it's my Complexity Addiction taking over. I have to say though, you prefer the second ability to the first? I originally made the first and went from there.

>Deadshot
Well, I kinda liked his having Haste, but that sounds good. Also, another user suggested adding (I think)
>Whenever you cast a spell, untap ~.
What do you think of that?

>Spawn
I did say I'd made it a while ago, and that's definitely one of the first thing's I'd change. And yeah, I do kinda think it's overdesigned now, especially after making pic attached, which I feel is a bit more elegant than Spawn.

>The Authority
Hmm, OK. Let me see what I come up with.

Thanks for the feedback!

>The Red Lady of Effalen
Seems like it could be fun. Not really a fan of the ability not having you discard at random, feels a bit... ham handed? I can just imagine someone making something like this as a joke and adding
>(In case you didn't read the first ability, you actually have to discard the card at random!)

and here's a bunch of other shit

I am so mad this doesn't work.

Not excessive enough. Needs Double Strike, and possibly indestructible. Bump up the cost and bump up the beefiness. Make timmy cream his pants.

>I think 4RRR is a perfectly appropriate cost for a 15+/5 haste flier.
Good point.
>Mythic as FUCK
Thanks! That's exactly what I was going for. The exact words I was using to describe the concept behind its creation were "huge, flashy mythic".

>Lagoon Lurker
Thanks. Glad to know my CO set hasn't entirely degenerated my ability to design rarities below rare.

>Mercurial Barrier
Seems like fun, though maybe up the cost because of how difficult it can be to remove? Not to mention you can pump it. Also, if you want to use reminder text, you could just use one line like
>Defender, first strike, hexproof (This creature can't attack, it deals combat damage before creatures without first strike, it and can't be the target of spells or abilities your opponents control.)
See Mirri, Cat Warrior.

Warped Reflection is interesting.

Hallowed Skulker has potential but plays really awkwardly. An opponent is never going to attack into it unless they are sure they can trade. Balancing around 2 power might be better.

Wording is weird and the color is way off. Black should be the only one having that type of effect.

For the rewording I'd put something like that:

" Target player reveals his or her hand, then chooses target noncreature nonland card revealed this way. That player discards that card.

Overload 2BBB "

It's not perfect but that would be how I would write it to fit overload I guess?

>Demons not interacting with people's hands or making players lose life
I shiggy diggy don't believe you.
I'll make it a 1wb.

Works as an uncommon. The typing is a little weird though. Noggle would probably be a better fit then dragon.

Demon's are classically about power at a price. Veilborn is all power all the time.

Goblin Dankdweller

{X}{X}{B}{B}
Sorcery
Target player discards X cards from his or her hand, loses
X life, and sacrifices X creatures.
{1}{B}
Sorcery
Target player reveals his or her hand, then discards target
non creature nonland card revealed this way.

Cycling{2}{B}{G}{W} When you cycle old one's will, you may have target
player discard his or her hand.

Hollowed Skulker could work better as a 1/4.
Could also change the white mana to red mana as well.
(If you decided to drop the 3rd ability for some reason.)

I'd switch Mercurial barrier to shroud instead of hexproof.

Funwise though, you could change the mana cost to hybrid mana, or lower it by 1. (Or both?) Then remove hexproof, and replace it with "when ~this is targeted, return it to its owners hand."

Either way, +1 for making something with the typing "Weird Wall"

Oh, are you making a set... Moon user? Crescent user? (Yes, I regularly forget peoples' names and who's making sets.)

>Orzhov Inquisitor
Eh... it's super weird how a Black Kicker enables enchantment destruction. I mean, sure it's a White card, but still, it really rubs me the wrong way. Sorry. Maybe split up the cost so it normally hits an enchantment, but switches to creature if you use Kicker?

>Warped Reflection
I like the idea, but what's up with the Flashback cost? I could see a Flashback cost like that, but I feel like it would have to work differently if it's cast for Flashback, either by altering the effect to make it truly Grixis, or increasing the effect like the Resounding cycle from Alara.

>Guilt
Seems interesting, but could be oppressive, especially against a creature-heavy deck. Maybe exile and lifeloss?

>Baleful Patriarch
With the amount of life this thing is going to cost you, I think it can do with a lower mana cost.

>End of Days
Eh, feels clunky. I think I'd rather have something more... direct, I guess.

>Grand Unravelling
>Gold cost
>Hybrid frame
>Old modal format
>Bold font
What. While I like the effect, I don't see it being very Black.

>Solemn Vow
Eh, not sure about this one. Anyway, due to the way Auras work, the Aura should go into the graveyard after the creature dies, so I think you'd have to say that the Aura is returning to the battlefield as well.

>Hollowed Skulker
Why not defending player?

Pretty sure none of this works. Sorry.

Shadowmoor and it's block are not fit for evaluating power level or color pie. It's been called a failure of balancing.
Noggles are cute though so if i had any art for them I would.

Veilborn are a sect of WB cultists and demons that abuse dark powers to exert control over their nation. It's intenitonally not a classical demon. It takes root in demons themes but isn't identical.

Don't see the point of the "no creatures on the battlefield" bit. Name and art are really awkward. I know what it's from, but still.

Stack fuckery at uncommon? I'd make it rare on that alone.

I went to FNM for the first time ever last night. While there I thought of three cards:

Veni
3W
Instant
Search your library for a creature card and put it on the battlefield tapped. Then shuffle your library.

Vidi
3U
Instant
Target opponent reveals his or her hand.

Vici
3R
Instant
Vici deals 4 damage to target creature.

Sticking with the thread theme
No idea about the cost here

I like the card name idea, but while Vidi and Vici are close to useless ( you have to come up with a way to either make those interesting or reduce those costs ), Veni is ULTRA broken. Just think of Natural Order which is one of the most busted cards in all MTG history and then look at your card and see the difference haha. Besides, I don't imagine white doing that kind of effect, that type of effect is more green than anything.

Look at prey upon, or hunt the weak for wording.

Well, off to work again. For the user who suggested The Authority, I will try to get to them tonight. For now, here's one of the few non-DC, non-Marvel cards I've made. I think all of you can guess what the flavor is from the card itself. For those of you wondering, the character was made by Top Cow, one of the posterchilds of the 90's, right up there with Image.

Well, I kinda like it where it is now. And the Doom Slayer isn't invincible, no way is he getting Indestructible. He's swift and merciless, and willing to use any advantage he can get. I don't think he needs anything else.

Think I'd say
>Choose target creature you control and target creature you don't control. Until end of turn, when one of the chosen creatures dies, put a +1/+1 counter on the other creature. They fight each other.

The logic of Veni being white is that it allows you to swarm easier, and swarm decks are usually white. But I do see how it'd be advantageous to use it to summon a big green creature.

Maybe if Vidi allowed you to put one of the cards you saw on the bottom of their deck and Vici also dealt damage to their controller?

Also, Veni would have CMC limits too.

Keep in mind that when you let players search ANY creature card, they will get things like Griselbrand, Emrakul, or anything of that sort out of their deck. With a bit of ramp it can get extremely retarded pretty fast. And you can see that even the " green creature " restriction isn't enough, as people will get things like Craterhoof Behemoth out of their deck.

So, that's why you see a lot of conditions in these type of cards these days ( and tutors, etc ). WOTC, and card creators, have seen what degenerate things can be done if you leave players with imagination as their only limit.

You should make the equipment token something that's actually useful, rather than just an obtuse monstrosity.

What do you suggest? Really, the card was more of an excuse for a fun flavor excercise than anything else.

You don't put cards at rare for being spicy you put them at rare for being stronger.
This is usually just a janky turn aside.

Vidi is too strong at instant speed. It's not difficult to bolt + U.
Vici is too strong as well. It might be difficult to get the full discount but it would make burn even faster.
Paying R for bolt, R for force spike, and R for vici wouldn't be difficult to do on most turn 3s.

...Which is why I said "it would have CMC limits, too."

The true American deck.

Always remember that technically, Progenitus is a green creature. :^)

It's a R A I N B O W creature!

>You don't put cards at rare for being spicy you put them at rare for being stronger.
Not even Wizards fully believes this. Yes, some cards are at rare because of their power, but that's not the only reason. Some cards are there due to their mechanics. It's the reason that if Suspend ever came back, they'd probably never put it on a common, they think it's too complex to be one of the first and most common mechanics in a set. And I think stack interaction is too complex for newbies to get straight away.

>card
Don't really get this one.

Minor wording fixes:
>When ~ enters the battlefield, you may cast target instant or sorcery card with converted mana cost 3 or less from your graveyard without paying its mana cost.

Most official cards also tack this rider onto similar effects.:
>If that card would be put into your graveyard this turn, exile it instead.

>...it deals damage to target creature or player equal to the difference between your life total and your starting life total.

Too cheap for its body and effect. This could cost 6 or 7.